• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Injustice is a perfectly alright fighter, not shitty by any means. Obviously not pleasing to the eyes but plays fine and is fun.

And Capcom's support for SF4 has been excellent actually. If SFxT was half the success of SF4 you can bet your candy ass they would support it a lot too. Hell that game is still being featured at Capcom Cup.
Injustice plays like shit. It's not any different from MK9 in that sense. The character movesets are an improvement, though.

You're right about Capcom's support for SFIV, though.

Azure J

Also discussion is now open on potential balance change suggestions. As per Ono's tweet since apparently he loves hearing about that stuff.

Can I get a little more info on this? Ono wants to hear stuff for all Capcom fighters now? If so, I have a list of things to start detailing.

Can I get a little more info on this? Ono wants to hear stuff for all Capcom fighters now? If so, I have a list of things to start detailing.
During Evo, Ono tweeted something like "I love hearing all the feedback about changes you would like to see for SFIV and MvC". If you go through his tweet history, I'm sure you'll find it.

Hahaha.

But the Speed of Light netcode developed by the team at Eighting is the absolute zenith of design!
No no no, Vanilla had speed of light netcode. With Ultimate, they broke the laws of physics.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";70695386]All I want from a patch is for Hyper Grav to go fullscreen in 5 frames and have medium durability.

And two extra air dashes pls :-([/QUOTE]
You have infinite air dashes after you fly. ;-)

Really, Shuma-Gorath should get 3-4 air dashes before he lands - no flight required. It would make him really interesting. 8-way air dash, of course. That would solve 90% of his problems.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";70696296]Shuma Gorath should be bigger than Tron and swap the order of his jMs.[/QUOTE]
I wanted this when they announced him. I'm not sure I agree about the j.M swap, since his current j.M (first) can instant overhead on a lot of characters.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";70695386]All I want from a patch is for Hyper Grav to go fullscreen in 5 frames and have medium durability.

And two extra air dashes pls :-([/QUOTE]

If you want Magneto to be broken so badly, then go play CotA.

Azure J

Could you imagine?

*Dream World*

The Uncanny Marvel vs. Capcom 3

- TACs work like they do in TvC, a meter per tag or counter tag break; no HSD halt on tags
- Universal damage lowering to Ultimate's "Low" setting in training mode
- Character assists reworked so every character can shine in a given position
- Character rebalancing (Hsien-Ko is the new Captain America success story)
- 12 new characters (Megaman X, Nina, Rathalos, Ruby Heart among the newcomers)
- $29.99 USD

Which is released in a year when Smash 4 comes out and is Melee: The Revengeance (Palutena and Mike Jones are in this one edition).

I don't think I'd need videogames after that. :lol

Here is something I would like to do:

With Ono saying that he likes to hear feedback, I would like for us to go through the entire Marvel roster and rebalance it as a forum. I would like to have some concrete form to this, and not just everyone throwing ideas around that we kind of like but kind of don't like. Here is my proposal:

There are 50 characters in the game. While I'd love to give each character 1 week, that means we won't finish for a year. I think that, ideally, we should finish this in the next 2-3 months. So, either we could do a character every 3 days, which I do not think is advisable, or we could do 3 characters every week. That means we will take 17 weeks, which is 4 months and 1 week. I know that a third of a year is a long time, but if we do more than 3 characters a week, I think it will be sloppy. I'm open to suggestions, of course.

We will form a committee of X number of people. While anyone can participate in the discussions, this committee of X number of people are the final deciders of what changes get made. These people should be active in every week's discussions. Changes are only solidified when the committee unanimously supports them in whole. Every week, the committee will need to come to a conclusion on Sunday. Sunday evening, the next set of characters will be posted, and discussion will start on Monday. Ideally, no one makes suggestions Sunday, and we use part of our evening to reflect on the character so that our posts are more informed.

The committee members will need to fill different roles:
1) Record keeper - has all of our decisions in one document (Google Docs?) for easy perusal.

2) Roster decider - the person who decides who we look at next (IMO, it should be a mix of a highly used character, a moderately used character, and a rarely used character every week to keep things interesting).

3) Announcer - someone to post in the FGW thread about what we are discussing in here each week.

IDK, maybe some other roles (suggest stuff).

If people are interested, tell me. If someone has a suggestion, make it. If this is something people want to do, let's do it. Since it's my idea, I'll decide upon the committee members. My only goals with forming the committee are that:
1) The committee is not too big (I'm thinking 3-7).
2) The members are all frequent posters in this OT.
3) The members are all relatively well-informed about the game, and understand a wide variety of characters.

I think those are all fair requirements. I'll post this in the FGW just in case we miss any regulars who happen to not check the this thread today. Our first week will be ironing out system changes, since character changes don't make any sense without that context.

Azure J

I really like the idea and would totally back it as an announcer. At the same time I don't think I would be good for the character balancing parts beyond my team/favorites really. I haven't played enough of the cast to be knowledgeable about their nuances and would just wind up parroting a lot.

Guys I'm thinking of updating my team from Cap/Nova/Doom to something else

Only stipulation

Still gotta have Cap

How would Cap/Nova/Hawkeye or Cap/Doom/Hawkeye or something be any decent?

Also think I mightp lay a Cap/Morrigan/Doom team for the luls

I can give Cap changes Kappa

Dahbomb

I will take any role required. Fuck it I would do the whole thing if I knew every single character to the exact details but no one here knows every character.

I just think two extra guidelines need to be added:

*Changes must be realistic suggestions
*No more than 5 major changes on a character, no more than 10 changes total. Sorry Karst but none of that Shuma/Firebrand god tier buff list. :p

Also I want 5 characters a week, 10 weeks total. Some characters don't require big changes so we can balance it so that we have 2 characters who need a lot of changes and 3 who don't need much.

I will take any role required. Fuck it I would do the whole thing if I knew every single character to the exact details but no one here knows every character.

I just think two extra guidelines need to be added:

*Changes must be realistic suggestions
*No more than 5 major changes on a character, no more than 10 changes total. Sorry Karst but none of thay Shuma/Firebrand god tier buff list. :p
Oh right, I forgot to add that. The changes should be "minimal effort" changes - the kind of stuff we can realistically expect Capcom to add. So, no new moves. At all. Just changes in lines of code here and there. So, agreed on the first point.

I agree with your second point, but let's just say no more than 10 changes total, since it's best to not argue about what a "major" change is.

I really like the idea and would totally back it as an announcer. At the same time I don't think I would be good for the character balancing parts beyond my team/favorites really. I haven't played enough of the cast to be knowledgeable about their nuances and would just wind up parroting a lot.
Well, I still look forward to your participation, if you aren't confident in your general character knowledge.

Guys I'm thinking of updating my team from Cap/Nova/Doom to something else

Only stipulation

Still gotta have Cap

How would Cap/Nova/Hawkeye or Cap/Doom/Hawkeye or something be any decent?

Also think I mightp lay a Cap/Morrigan/Doom team for the luls

I can give Cap changes Kappa
I don't think Cap/Hawkeye protects Charging Star like Cap/Taskmaster does. The arrows come out way too fast.

Cap/Morrigan would be interesting if you tried backing him with Soul Fist for cartwheels.

Dahbomb

I think new moves can be added if they use assests already in the game or assets from other Capcom games. Like giving Chun Li a Hazanshu is fair IMO but you can't give stuff like Iron Man a "House Party" hyper... as much as Enzo would like.

Azure J

I think new moves can be added if they use assests already in the game or assets from other Capcom games. Like giving Chun Li a Hazanshu is fair IMO but you can't give stuff like Iron Man a "House Party" hyper... as much as Enzo would like.

Would remapping current actions to other buttons count as new moves? I gotta rep my blueberry zombie properly and moving bombs to QCF+S is never leaving my personal wishlist.

I don't think Cap/Hawkeye protects Charging Star like Cap/Taskmaster does. The arrows come out way too fast.

Cap/Morrigan would be interesting if you tried backing him with Soul Fist for cartwheels.

Hrm, wouldn't mind bringing back and playing Taskmaster again.

And I never even thought about Morrigan with Soul Fist assist, I just thought about Dark Harmonizer for more Hyper Charging Stars... interesting... I'll have some testing to do...

Hrm, wouldn't mind bringing back and playing Taskmaster again.

And I never even thought about Morrigan with Soul Fist assist, I just thought about Dark Harmonizer for more Hyper Charging Stars... interesting... I'll have some testing to do...
The thing about Dark Harmonizer is that it's replacing another assist call. So you have to ask yourself: when will I be in a situation where I would rather call Dark Harmonizer instead of Hidden Missiles? For most characters, the answer is "only in a combo". Captain America is going to be one of those characters, too. So if you get Dark Harmonizer, it's a combo-only thing. You're not going to be calling it in the neutral very often unless you're just superjumping away from Hawkeye while waiting to build 1 meter or something. It's rare. Other characters, like Deadpool, Vergil, Dante, Magneto, and Dormammu, can make use of it in the neutral to some degree.

Would remapping current actions to other buttons count as new moves? I gotta rep my blueberry zombie properly and moving bombs to QCF+S is never leaving my personal wishlist.
I support that.

Dahbomb

I think committee members should also list the characters they are most comfortable making suggestions so that when we decide on the schedule we don't end up with a week where its all characters that one guy mains.

I will list mine:

Wolverine
Storm
Akuma
Wesker
Vergil
Iron Man
Deadpool
Nova
Chris
Zero

Zissou

Here is something I would like to do:

With Ono saying that he likes to hear feedback, I would like for us to go through the entire Marvel roster and rebalance it as a forum. I would like to have some concrete form to this, and not just everyone throwing ideas around that we kind of like but kind of don't like. Here is my proposal:

There are 50 characters in the game. While I'd love to give each character 1 week, that means we won't finish for a year. I think that, ideally, we should finish this in the next 2-3 months. So, either we could do a character every 3 days, which I do not think is advisable, or we could do 3 characters every week. That means we will take 17 weeks, which is 4 months and 1 week. I know that a third of a year is a long time, but if we do more than 3 characters a week, I think it will be sloppy. I'm open to suggestions, of course.

We will form a committee of X number of people. While anyone can participate in the discussions, this committee of X number of people are the final deciders of what changes get made. These people should be active in every week's discussions. Changes are only solidified when the committee unanimously supports them in whole. Every week, the committee will need to come to a conclusion on Sunday. Sunday evening, the next set of characters will be posted, and discussion will start on Monday. Ideally, no one makes suggestions Sunday, and we use part of our evening to reflect on the character so that our posts are more informed.

The committee members will need to fill different roles:
1) Record keeper - has all of our decisions in one document (Google Docs?) for easy perusal.

2) Roster decider - the person who decides who we look at next (IMO, it should be a mix of a highly used character, a moderately used character, and a rarely used character every week to keep things interesting).

3) Announcer - someone to post in the FGW thread about what we are discussing in here each week.

IDK, maybe some other roles (suggest stuff).

If people are interested, tell me. If someone has a suggestion, make it. If this is something people want to do, let's do it. Since it's my idea, I'll decide upon the committee members. My only goals with forming the committee are that:
1) The committee is not too big (I'm thinking 3-7).
2) The members are all frequent posters in this OT.
3) The members are all relatively well-informed about the game, and understand a wide variety of characters.

I think those are all fair requirements. I'll post this in the FGW just in case we miss any regulars who happen to not check the this thread today. Our first week will be ironing out system changes, since character changes don't make any sense without that context.

I would like to participate (if you feel I am qualified).

I think committee members should also list the characters they are most comfortable making suggestions so that when we decide on the schedule we don't end up with a week where its all characters that one guy mains.

I will list mine:

Wolverine
Storm
Akuma
Wesker
Vergil
Iron Man
Deadpool
Nova
Chris
Zero
Good idea; mine:
Morrigan
Dormammu
Shuma-Gorath
Dr. Strange
Ghost Rider
Firebrand
Phoenix
Sentinel
Super-Skrull
Hsien-ko
Deadpool
Akuma

I would like to participate (if you feel I am qualified).
The bigger question is: do you feel you are qualified? If you think you have a level head and understand a lot of character on a deep level, I will not say "no". If you're unsure of that, you're welcome to just suggest stuff without being on the committee.

Edit: I also think that, as a committee member, you should feel like you have something to say about almost every character in this game. I'd prefer to keep people who just want to make adjustments to a few characters off the committee.

I wouldn't mind participating.....the only thing I might be able to bring to the table is that I do know quite a number of characters and could probably suggest some changes.

Dahbomb

Yea I can say something about every character but not the nitty gritty stuff obviously. Broad strokes stuff.

Don't worry Beef, Joe is safe with me.

MAN LET'S GET THIS TRAIN ROLLING ALREADY!

Most comfortable? I suppose these are the ones I have working knowledge of in terms of frame data and such.

Akuma
Crimson Viper
Dante
Deadpool
Doctor Strange
Haggar
Hawkeye
Iron Fist
Iron Man
Jill
Magneto
Nemesis
Phoenix
Rocket Raccoon
Sentinel
Shuma-Gorath
Storm
Thor
Trish
Vergil
Wesker
X-23
Zero

If GB is on the panel, he should be forbidden to talk about Viewtiful Joe.
I'll pass on participating in that project.
*cough*

In all seriousness, I love Viewtiful Joe how he is right now. Great character who is underplayed because he looks funny.

Yea I can say something about every character but not the nitty gritty stuff obviously. Broad strokes stuff.

Don't worry Beef, Joe is safe with me.

MAN LET'S GET THIS TRAIN ROLLING ALREADY!
I plan on giving it a full day-ish to let people consider whether they want to be on the committee. Sasa, SixFortyFive, and Frantic could all be good additions if they are interested.

Storm's Double Typhoon startup is too slow. Make it faster (to give her a better pickup if she air throws) and make her flight time longer.

Wish I knew characters better.
Nova
Doom
Storm
Sentinel
Not participating but excited to see what people come up with.

If you wanted Deadpool to be dirty top tier, make his gunshot assist hit low.

Storm's Double Typhoon startup is too slow. Make it faster (to give her a better pickup if she air throws) and make her flight time longer.

Wish I knew characters better.
Nova
Doom
Storm
Sentinel
Not participating but excited to see what people come up with.

If you wanted Deadpool to be dirty top tier, make his gunshot assist hit low.
I hope you participate - anyone can come up with good stuff.

FSLink

Banned
I think we just need a Phoenix Wright player now.

I can fill in and help out if need be. I can give a bit of input to all characters really. Not sure if I have time to commit to the project though. I'll think about it.

RE: Viewtiful Joe, yeah, honestly I don't think he needs any changes.

Azure J

I will list mine:

Wolverine
Storm
Akuma
Wesker
Vergil
Iron Man
Deadpool
Nova
Chris
Zero

Dante
Strider
Viper
Zero
Hsien-Ko
Amaterasu?
Felicia?

Fuck. :lol

This might be good for more reasons than I thought. Gotta go and try playing some new characters to come in with better analysis.

Dahbomb

Storm Typhoon is obviously way too slow but there's a reason why its slow. If it was faster Storm would get a ton of relaunches with aerial Typhoons, she already has loops with that move in XF.

The way to fix Typhoon is: make it go all the way up, faster start up (somewhere between Purification and current Typhoon) and less hit stun after long combos.

Although we are not at that stage yet. I have quite a few Storm.changes.

I can fill in and help out if need be. I can give a bit of input to all characters really. Not sure if I have time to commit to the project though. I'll think about it.

RE: Viewtiful Joe, yeah, honestly I don't think he needs any changes.
Viewtiful Joe just needs better assists, and maybe an OTG RHK or some other way to land Slow by himself after an air series.

Goddamn, I have to stop myself...

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, that's really it, though I don't feel like he needs it. Shocking Pink assist is so underutilized. :p

Also anyone want to play on XBL? My Gold is about to expire in like a week or so and I don't see myself resubscribing.

Well while we wait to hear back from Zissou and maybe a few others that might be interested in being on the committee, job roles can be assigned.

I'll gladly be the recorder - I'm used to it from all my Dormammu thread stuff.

Dahbomb and GB, what would you two like to do?

I guess I will take Roster announcer. Seems like a fairly easy job.
If you were pumped to be a recorder, I'm glad to let you do it. I just figured I would take on the most work-intensive job.

Then again, ideally the person who posts in the FGW thread pumps people up to get more ideas, and no one is more enthusiastic than you...

I suppose these are the characters I'm comfortable with and could suggest changes, but the bold ones are the one that I'd consider mains and they actually have a place on a team. I know a ton of characters and can make suggestions, but I don't necessarily have teams for them. Ex: I have 2000+ matches as Iron Man, but he has no dedicated team.

Capcom

Akuma
Ammy
Chris
Dante*
Felicia
Firebrand
Frank
Haggar
Hsien-Ko
Jill
Morrigan
Nemesis
Ryu
Spencer
Strider
Trish
Vergil
V. Joe
Wesker
Zero

Marvel

Captain America
Dormammu
Dr Doom
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Magneto
Nova
Sentinel
Storm
Wolverine

I put a star next to Dante because even though I feel confident playing him now, I truly don't know feel like I know him.....he just has so many tools. I couldn't feel good offering any suggestions whatsoever.

Dahbomb

Where the fuck is Enzo? Announcing should be his job especially since every Sunday is the new thread so he can just add it as the second post of the FGW.

Dahbomb

Why are you guys doing this? For fun?
1) For fun.
2) Ono tweeted that he likes hearing about Marvel fine tuning so we are going to give him what he likes.
3) Haven't had one of these in a while and since EVO is over it's the best time to do this.

Huh who is doing Arthur?
Everyone is doing every character but some specialist is there just to keep people in check.

So the answer is you are... lol

Top Bottom