• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Pollux

I understand your differentiation, but MK9 has roughly the same amount of cumbersomeness UMK3 and its predecessors have. So I'm still not entirely following you. Maybe it's because, for me, Mortal Kombat was a big arcade game. I played it a lot. I also played Marvel and Street Fighter, though. I think my most played arcade game was Killer Instinct, though. The memories of that game...I remember being 8 and a 24 year old called me "fucking cheap". :-D

Regardless, welcome to the thread, and ask tons of questions - we love questions here.

Ok, after messing around in the Training area for about 5 minutes...cumbersome would be the wrong word. I guess I don't really know how to describe it.

On another note, I'm looking at the move list and I have no idea what any of this means. Down arrow + H? What's H? What's a good place to look for the basics of how to do combos, and what not?

I'm currently "training" with a team of Vergil, Rocket Raccoon and Viewtiful Joe.

No PMs necessary - what's the confusion?

Are you talking about the current TAC's or hypothetical changed when you said breakable TACs have one serious problem? You really can't do anything other then float down. If you XF you can't hurt the character who was countered. no hit box. sorry I'm not wanting to look like I don't know what I'm talking about...To late :p

Well you still haven't painted a scenario where my suggestion would be a problem either. I mean you tried to talk about how making it reactable would kill it but that didn't pan out because you didn't have anything concrete to say about my mix up analogy particularly with the way throws work in Tekken. Top players still fall for 20 frame mix ups and by now everyone knows which color corresponds to which TAC.

I would be on board if there is no meter gain. I think stuff like Iron Man tacking on double Repulsar Blast/Spread into another TAC after the BnB of a weak character combo will lead to inflated combos and result in BnBs being made around TACs which is not what the system is about at all. The whole choice and input by the opposite player is core to the TAC, I want to feel like a boss for countering someone's TAC. Guaranteed TAC just makes it more 1 player-ish, making it reactable makes it into a thing two players can participate in.
I said that TACs being random and taking away meter from the opponent or giving it to you are just fundamentally bad game ideas. I still stand by that claim. The reactability was just a side debate.

I don't know which color corresponds to which TAC. I've never bothered to learn it because it doesn't matter.

Iron Man into double Repulsar Spread won't lead into a TAC into another bnb. You will have exhausted the HSD. The combos that result from my TAC system should not be any longer than what teams will pull off normally. It's not like everyone gains some new HSD negation tool.

The only reason I'm not on board with 1-meter TACs with no post-TAC meter gain is that I'm worried it makes them too weak. I can't think of any situations where I would use that over a raw tag after a simple j.S. The TAC has to offer more than that.

Ok, after messing around in the Training area for about 5 minutes...cumbersome would be the wrong word. I guess I don't really know how to describe it.

On another note, I'm looking at the move list and I have no idea what any of this means. Down arrow + H? What's H? What's a good place to look for the basics of how to do combos, and what not?

I'm currently "training" with a team of Vergil, Rocket Raccoon and Viewtiful Joe.
There is a "Mission Mode" that will teach you your basic button inputs. Don't do any mission modes past the 5th or 6th one. They become increasingly situational and painful for no reason. It's hard to tell you what "H" is without knowing your controller settings. Basically, the game has 6 inputs:

L - Light
M - Medium
H - Heavy
S - Special (launcher)
A1 - First Character's Assist
A2 - Second Character's Assist

If you are on a PS3 pad, I think it goes like this:
Square = Light
Triangle = Medium
Circle = Heavy
X = Special

If you can press the buttons in that descending order and it makes a 4-hit combo with Vergil close up, you know I have the buttons right. Also, if you hit start and go into your controller settings, it tells you what you have your buttons assigned to, and you can change it.

Your team order for that team should probably be:
Viewtiful Joe (Voomerang)
Rocket Raccoon (Double Spitfire or Pendulum - both are good for this team)
Vergil (Rapid Slash)

Are you talking about the current TAC's or hypothetical changed when you said breakable TACs have one serious problem? You really can't do anything other then float down. If you XF you can't hurt the character who was countered. no hit box. sorry I'm not wanting to look like I don't know what I'm talking about...To late :p
Hypothetical changed TACs, though you can punish after a TAC break if you XFC the floating prone state, supposedly. It has never worked for me. Seth Killian said you can, but maybe it got patched out.

Dahbomb

Damn you picked a couple of tough characters to start with!

Double Repulsar Spread combos with assists can be used at the absolute max HSD and tack on a shit ton of damage at the end of combos. Iron Man can do 1 million damage with 2 assists because of it and it builds a ton of meter.

Now please don't say "well I guess we gotta do something about Iron Man's HSD!"

Damn you picked a couple of tough characters to start with!

Double Repulsar Spread combos with assists can be used at the absolute max HSD and tack on a shit ton of damage at the end of combos. Iron Man can do 1 million damage with 2 assists because of it and it builds a ton of meter.

Now please don't say "well I guess we gotta do something about Iron Man's HSD!"
Tell me the exact inputs to do 1 million damage with Iron Man at high HSD and high damage decay after a TAC. Including the assists. If it really works, I don't understand why no one ever does it with Iron Man.

Should I pick new characters? I tried to go with people I liked. Vergil and VJ for obvious reasons, and RR b/c he's a friggin raccoon...
Rocket Raccoon is the most difficult of the characters you picked. My personal belief is that you should pick who you like and work from there. I never go with easy characters to start out with - it just makes my training time feel boring and pointless.

Dahbomb

Should I pick new characters? I tried to go with people I liked. Vergil and VJ for obvious reasons, and RR b/c he's a friggin raccoon...
No they are all good characters but two of them are unorthodox. You want to play Joe on point (that's first character) and either Vergil or RR second. If you go Vergil 2nd you would want RR on Spitfire assist but if you go Vergil last you can probably do fine with Log Tap assist on RR. Vergil is almost always played with Rapid Slash assist.

I would play Vergil second with Spitfire.

Ok guys, I won't be getting back into Marvel for a few days (because I'm tired as fuck, lol) but I definitely plan on trying a few new teams. I'll be sticking with my mainstay of Cap/Nova/Doom, but need to get a few opinions on other team ideas.

So, going to run Task with Cap on a team as per suggestions of Task being superior to Hawkeye in terms of assist. Now the question is, do I run Cap/Nova/Task or Cap/Doom/Task, and in what order?

And for my team idea of Cap/Morrigan/Doom, I'm guessing I wanna run Soul Fist (as per Karst's suggestion) and Hidden Missiles?

Pollux

No they are all good characters but two of them are unorthodox. You want to play Joe on point (that's first character) and either Vergil or RR second. If you go Vergil 2nd you would want RR on Spitfire assist but if you go Vergil last you can probably do fine with Log Tap assist on RR. Vergil is almost always played with Rapid Slash assist.

Question, what difference does order make?

I think my current order is Vergil, RR, VJ. Should I go back to the player select screen and change that?

Which two characters are unorthodox? and what does that mean?

Sorry for all the probably stupid and basic questions lol

I think my current order is Vergil, RR, VJ. Should I go back to the player select screen and change that?

Joe makes a pretty bad anchor because of his low damage. THis is coming from one of the few (if any) Joe mains on GAF. You probably want to go Joe/Vergil/RR or something.

Dahbomb

You don't have to apologize for asking questions, better to ask now when you are new.

Team order makes a HUGE difference in the game. It is sometimes the difference between a shit team and a good team. As does the assist selection. Some characters are designed to be played first while others are designed to be played lower down the order.

Viewtiful Joe has bad assists and thus is generally considered a point character (that and his hypers don't really mesh together well with others). Vergil and RR are excellent users of X factor and meter, Vergil is considered arguably the best anchor character in the game (anchor means your last character).

You should definitely change the order of your team.

Joe and RR are unorthodox characters, RR probably the most. Joe is a hybrid of zoning and mix up character with some really quirky tools (slowing down opponent, an invincible dodge ability, a weird pink bomb, chargeable projectile, triple jump, instant air dash projectile toss game). Rocket Raccoon is a trap based mix up style character with a little bit of both rushdown and zoning. He requires high precision to play because a lot of his stuff have very small hit boxes and low hit stun.

Tell me the exact inputs to do 1 million damage with Iron Man at high HSD and high damage decay after a TAC. Including the assists. If it really works, I don't understand why no one ever does it with Iron Man.
People don't use those types of combos after TAC because swag TAC combos and infinites exist for Iron Man. Why do a double Repulsar Spread Drones combos when you can do way more damage with an infinite?

Just a note since Dahbomb and I are giving you conflicting team order advice: it's largely a matter of personal preference. For now, all that really matters is that you have Viewtiful Joe first. You can do fine with Vergil second or third. Though I think he's better third, because RR can escape incoming mix-ups and DHC Vergil in safely.

Dahbomb, does Spitfire give Vergil combos off of Rapid Slash and/or make it safe?

Ok guys, I won't be getting back into Marvel for a few days (because I'm tired as fuck, lol) but I definitely plan on trying a few new teams. I'll be sticking with my mainstay of Cap/Nova/Doom, but need to get a few opinions on other team ideas.

So, going to run Task with Cap on a team as per suggestions of Task being superior to Hawkeye in terms of assist. Now the question is, do I run Cap/Nova/Task or Cap/Doom/Task, and in what order?

And for my team idea of Cap/Morrigan/Doom, I'm guessing I wanna run Soul Fist (as per Karst's suggestion) and Hidden Missiles?
IDK, use both teams against me and I'll tell you what's better.

I was just suggesting that you mess around with Soul Fist. I don't know if it would actually be better. Captain America can make use of all of her assists.

Unorthodox meaning they have unusual means of movement. Rocket Raccoon's primary mobility took is Rocket Skates, which is A (any attack) + S + direction. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Joe makes a pretty bad anchor because of his low damage. THis is coming from one of the few (if any) Joe mains on GAF. You probably want to go Joe/Vergil/RR or something.
Beef has a solid Viewtiful Joe - take his advice.

IDK, use both teams against me and I'll tell you what's better.

I was just suggesting that you mess around with Soul Fist. I don't know if it would actually be better. Captain America can make use of all of her assists.

You free to play later this week? I'm super burnt out in general and feeling a bit crappy so I probably won't even plug my PS3 in until the weekend if anything.

There are various advantages to the order. Your first character is your point. He starts of the fight for you. Typically people like to use characters here who benefit from the assists your other two characters provide, build lots of meter for your other characters for when they come in, help your second character come into play safely, set up situations for your second character when entering, and whatever other reasons people may have. VJoe doesn't have any great assists to add to your other two characters and doesn't have great super moves to transition into.

Your second character is typically someone you like to transition to from your first character to do extra damage through delayed hyper combos (DHC), through team aerial combos (TAC), is able to use some of that meter you've built up with your first character effectively in some way, benefits from your third character's assist to form a good 2 man group, can help your final character get in safely, and so on.

Your third character is called your anchor. They're usually the ones who can most benefit from xfactor to come back if left alone with stocked up meter or have an assist that benefits your first and second characters a lot. Vergil is very strong in Xfactor 3 for example because of very high damage and speed that make a lot of his moves very difficult to block and can kill a character very quickly.

There are many nuances to team building, but that's the basics of it.

Pollux

You don't have to apologize for asking questions, better to ask now when you are new.

Team order makes a HUGE difference in the game. It is sometimes the difference between a shit team and a good team. As does the assist selection. Some characters are designed to be played first while others are designed to be played lower down the order.

Viewtiful Joe has bad assists and thus is generally considered a point character (that and his hypers don't really mesh together well with others). Vergil and RR are excellent users of X factor and meter, Vergil is considered arguably the best anchor character in the game (anchor means your last character).

You should definitely change the order of your team.

Got it, so VJ, RR, and then Vergil?

So the three characters I happened to choose are all good characters and will be useable in the long run, though right? Or should I drop someone and pick another character like Wolverine or Spiderman who were options 4 and 5?

Joe and RR are unorthodox characters, RR probably the most. Joe is a hybrid of zoning and mix up character with some really quirky tools (slowing down opponent, an invincible dodge ability, a weird pink bomb, chargeable projectile, triple jump, instant air dash projectile toss game). Rocket Raccoon is a trap based mix up style character with a little bit of both rushdown and zoning. He requires high precision to play because a lot of his stuff have very small hit boxes and low hit stun.
God I feel stupid for asking this, but what exactly is zoning and rushdown?

Just a note since Dahbomb and I are giving you conflicting team order advice: it's largely a matter of personal preference. For now, all that really matters is that you have Viewtiful Joe first. You can do fine with Vergil second or third. Though I think he's better third, because RR can escape incoming mix-ups and DHC Vergil in safely.

Dahbomb, does Spitfire give Vergil combos off of Rapid Slash and/or make it safe?

Got it, I'll drop out of training and re-order my team to VJ, RR, Vergil. and DHC? (edit: see above, thanks)

Unorthodox meaning they have unusual means of movement. Rocket Raccoon's primary mobility took is Rocket Skates, which is A (any attack) + S + direction. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Beef has a solid Viewtiful Joe - take his advice.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Dahbomb

You can honestly play that team with Vergil 2nd or Vergil 3rd, I personally would play Vergil second for XF2 plus Spitfire and Sword DHC. Mostly because RR doesn't really get much out of Rapid Slash and you will probably get more wins by playing with Vergil more at the start as he's the easiest character on the team.

Spitfire with Vergil is alright, it's just a tad bit slow. If you mistime the assist people can throw you after Rapid Slash before the Spitfire approaches so you have to be on point with the calls.

DHC = Delayed Hyper Combo = Following a standard hyper combo with another hyper combo of the character that is next in the order. Example would be DHCing Joe's Cannon hyper into Vergil's Spiral Swords for combo extensions. Or Rocket Raccoon's Machine gun hyper into Spiral Swords.

what exactly is zoning and rushdown?
I thought you played Mortal Kombat? Zoning means you are controlling space/zone on the screen and keeping the opponent at a particular spot on the screen by using your moves usually projectiles. You are also moving around on the screen a lot especially in this game and avoid going into confrontations unless it suits you... so people will sometimes call this "keep away" or "lame" play. Rushdown is the opposite... you are not zoning you are going in constantly as you want to land that first hit.

One more thing while I'm on my last break, I wanted to use Joe/Wright/____, but I don't know who to put on anchor besides Doom or Vergil. I played someone who used this team with Vergil and it looked fun as hell, but his Vergil was worse than Day 1. Just trying to think who would make a good anchor to compliment it.

You free to play later this week? I'm super burnt out in general and feeling a bit crappy so I probably won't even plug my PS3 in until the weekend if anything.
Yep.

Got it, so VJ, RR, and then Vergil?
That's my preferred order, but Dahbomb disagrees. I think we both agree that having RR and Vergil swapped isn't a mistake either way, though.

So the three characters I happened to choose are all good characters and will be useable in the long run, though right? Or should I drop someone and pick another character like Wolverine or Spiderman who were options 4 and 5?
They are all good characters.

God I feel stupid for asking this, but what exactly is zoning and rushdown?
Zoning = space control (putting stuff on the screen, big attacks; Sentinel is like this if you ever pick him)
Rushdown = getting in people's face close up
Keepaway = keeping people far away through projectiles and such

Got it, I'll drop out of training and re-order my team to VJ, RR, Vergil. and DHC? (edit: see above, thanks)
DHC = Delayed Hyper Cancel

Basically, do this in training mode with the team ordered as in the above quote:
qcf.AA (slide your thumb from down to forward and press two attacks)
Then wait for a moment, and do qcf.AA again. You just did a DHC.

You can honestly play that team with Vergil 2nd or Vergil 3rd, I personally would play Vergil second for XF2 plus Spitfire and Sword DHC. Mostly because RR doesn't really get much out of Rapid Slash and you will probably get more wins by playing with Vergil more at the start as he's the easiest character on the team.
RR backed by Rapid Slash sounds good to me. /shrug People aren't patient enough with RR.

One more thing while I'm on my last break, I wanted to use Joe/Wright/____, but I don't know who to put on anchor besides Doom or Vergil. I played someone who used this team with Vergil and it looked fun as hell, but his Vergil was worse than Day 1. Just trying to think who would make a good anchor to compliment it.
Hmm, I don't know. Shuma-Gorath seems interesting. Someone who can make use of Wright unblockables while helping Joe...

Pollux

Spitfire with Vergil is alright, it's just a tad bit slow. If you mistime the assist people can throw you after Rapid Slash before the Spitfire approaches so you have to be on point with the calls.

DHC = Delayed Hyper Combo = Following a standard hyper combo with another hyper combo of the character that is next in the order. Example would be DHCing Joe's Cannon hyper into Vergil's Spiral Swords for combo extensions. Or Rocket Raccoon's Machine gun hyper into Spiral Swords.

I thought you played Mortal Kombat? Zoning means you are controlling space/zone on the screen and keeping the opponent at a particular spot on the screen by using your moves usually projectiles. You are also moving around on the screen a lot especially in this game and avoid going into confrontations unless it suits you... so people will sometimes call this "keep away" or "lame" play. Rushdown is the opposite... you are not zoning you are going in constantly as you want to land that first hit.
haha i played mortal kombat, I was never that good. I just mean it was the only fighting game that I played for more than a couple hours at a friends house or at the arcade. The first time I ever played a fighting game online was Injustice a couple days ago lol so I never really knew any of the fighting game strategies or lingo.

Ok, so I'm doing this and when you say assists, is that when I just tap R1 and the other character appears and hits my opponent and then leaves?

Dahbomb

RR with Rapid Slash is alright for sure and you also get Vergil DHC to bolster his damage but if like Vergil with Spitfire more. I think it's up to the guy who is playing the team how he wants to do it.

Also for Karst... here's a very basic Iron Man combo that does 1 million damage. Essentially 500K damage is just the meter less damage he gets before starting his OTG series (and that's also where max HSD starts kicking in). The OTG series plus the Proton Cannon hyper essentially adds about 500K extra damage and that can be tacked on after full scaling off of any combo.

I have a super fraudulent Wesker into Iron Man TAC combo where I don't do ANY fly combo. I do a standard BnB with Wesker that's about 550K meterless, TAC into Iron Man and just spike them early done because I don't practice swag TAC combos. After that I just call Wesker assist, Smart Bomb, Repular Spread, call Vergil, Smart Bomb, Repulsar Spread Proton Cannon. It's in the ball park of 1.1 million if the Wesker damage is on point.

Ok, so I'm doing this and when you say assists, is that when I just tap R1 and the other character appears and hits my opponent and then leaves?
Yeah that's right. I would honestly watch some guide videos and buy the UMVC3 guide for the phone (is super cheap). This game is REALLY ROUGH for beginners especially if this is one of your first fighters. Expect to lose a lot.

Where do you live, Pollux?

Also for Karst... here's a very basic Iron Man combo that does 1 million damage. Essentially 500K damage is just the meter less damage he gets before starting his OTG series (and that's also where max HSD starts kicking in). The OTG series plus the Proton Cannon hyper essentially adds about 500K extra damage and that can be tacked on after full scaling off of any combo

I have a super fraudulent Wesker into Iron Man TAC combo where I don't do ANY fly combo. I do a standard BnB with Wesker that's about 550K meterless, TAC into Iron Man and just spike them early done because I don't practice swag TAC combos. After that I just call Wesker assist, Smart Bomb, Repular Spread, call Vergil, Smart Bomb, Repulsar Spread Proton Cannon. It's in the ball park of 1.1 million.
Color me convinced. 1 bar to TAC, no meter gain until the opponent goes into recovery.

Zissou and GB, what do you both think at this point?

Yeah that's right. I would honestly watch some guide videos and buy the UMVC3 guide for the phone (is super cheap). This game is REALLY ROUGH for beginners especially if this is one of your first fighters. Expect to lose a lot.
And this. Though I'm glad to play you with an off team, Pollux, so you can learn.

Zissou

For TAC adjustments, I'm warming up a lot to: costs one meter, guaranteed, no HSD change/reset. Very simple and unlikely to be abused/exploited like the current system.

I don't like reactable TACs. If we were to keep three way TACs which are breakable, I would want the different directions to give you different lengths of time for zero HSD post-TAC combo before regular HSD kicks back in at full force (strict zero HSD time windows like 1.5, 3, and 4.5 seconds or something, to prevent abuse). This way there would be some thought involved (you'd have to consider the character they could TAC intoand their combo possibilites).

edit: give me a second to consider the posts made while I typed this

Dahbomb

For TAC adjustments, I'm warming up a lot to: costs one meter, guaranteed, no HSD change/reset. Very simple and unlikely to be abused/exploited like the current system.

I don't like reactable TACs. If we were to keep three way TACs which are breakable, I would want the different directions to give you different lengths of time for zero HSD post-TAC combo before regular HSD kicks back in at full force (strict zero HSD time windows like 1.5, 3, and 4.5 seconds or something, to prevent abuse). This way there would be some thought involved (you'd have to consider the character they could TAC intoand their combo possibilites).

edit: give me a second to consider the posts made while I typed this
I don't get it... why wouldn't the person always go for the TAC direction with the least amount of HSD involved?

I mean I get what you are saying... there should be some strategic importance to the 3 different directions that you are TACing into. Otherwise there would just be a single generic TAC direction and that's just boring.

Pollux

You can add me on PSN if you want.
I should be online for a few more hours tonight.
PSN id: onionfrog

Also, Karst.
Do you want to play a few rounds of AE tonight? If you're available that is.

Just sent you a request.

I don't have a headset will that be a problem as far as the chat channel or anything else?

Actually, I do have a Turtlebeach but I think it only works on the 360...

Zissou

I don't get it... why wouldn't the person go for the TAC direction with the least amount of HSD involved?

I was just thinking post TAC combo possibilites could vary depending on the time window, so if your opponent had Dr. Doom second and you knew they needed the longest HSD-free window to do a fly combo, you could reasonably guess that direction over others.

So just to be clear, the current suggestion people are leaning towards is TACs cost one meter, no post-TAC meter gain (presumably the person getting hit will still build meter normally), they are guaranteed, and there are no HSD effects at all from performing a TAC. Is this right?

You can add me on PSN if you want.
I should be online for a few more hours tonight.
PSN id: onionfrog

Also, Karst.
Do you want to play a few rounds of AE tonight? If you're available that is.
If I play at all tonight, I think I'll give Pollux some matches if he wants them. I'm doubting I will play, though. My wife hasn't had me to herself for a few days.

Just sent you a request.

I don't have a headset will that be a problem as far as the chat channel or anything else?

Actually, I do have a Turtlebeach but I think it only works on the 360...

So just to be clear, the current suggestion people are leaning towards is TACs cost one meter, no post-TAC meter gain (presumably the person getting hit will still build meter normally), they are guaranteed, and there are no HSD effects at all from performing a TAC. Is this right?
You are correct. Though the bolded makes me reconsider our approach a bit...nah, it's fine.

Dahbomb

This is right.

I was just thinking post TAC combo possibilites could vary depending on the time window, so if your opponent had Dr. Doom second and you knew they needed the longest HSD-free window to do a fly combo, you could reasonably guess that direction over others.
I think this is too difficult to theory fight without actually trying it out. And this version of TAC is the one where TACs aren't guaranteed so this doesn't apply to where we are now.

I still think we need to clarify how HSD works after the guaranteed 1 meter TACs. Obviously no more infinites and swag combos but I want to know if I can do Frank plunger combos and fly combos. I think basic fly combos are acceptable, will allow other characters to do something extra as well and not feel worthless.

Pollux

If I play at all tonight, I think I'll give Pollux some matches if he wants them. I'm doubting I will play, though. My wife hasn't had me to herself for a few days.

I think I'm going to give myself at least a day or two to fiddle around in the training area and the offline modes before I get into online. I want to at least figure out what all the buttons do before I get online haha. But thanks for being willing to get on and help!

I think I finally got that DHC thing you were talking about...using vergil I hit wolverine up into the air, hit him a few times, then RR came in and hit him a bit, and then I went into what I assume is a special move with vergil where the camera zoomed in on him and screen went blue.

I think I'm going to look for some videos on youtube tonight that explain the basic mechanics of the game since I probably won't be able to stay on for more than another half hour now and then an hour or so later.

No problem.

And Pollux, I'm ready whenever you are.
Well if you insist lol. How do we go about fighting each other?

onionfrog

Well if you insist lol. How do we go about fighting each other?
I sent you an Invite message. If you open that up there should be an option to accept it and It should automatically load you into the lobby.

I think I'm going to give myself at least a day or two to fiddle around in the training area and the offline modes before I get into online. I want to at least figure out what all the buttons do before I get online haha. But thanks for being willing to get on and help!

I think I finally got that DHC thing you were talking about...using vergil I hit wolverine up into the air, hit him a few times, then RR came in and hit him a bit, and then I went into what I assume is a special move with vergil where the camera zoomed in on him and screen went blue.

I think I'm going to look for some videos on youtube tonight that explain the basic mechanics of the game since I probably won't be able to stay on for more than another half hour now and then an hour or so later.
This is a good idea

LOL @ the Pollux and Onionfrog conversation.

I still think we need to clarify how HSD works after the guaranteed 1 meter TACs. Obviously no more infinites and swag combos but I want to know if I can do Frank plunger combos and fly combos. I think basic fly combos are acceptable, will allow other characters to do something extra as well and not feel worthless.
I've never liked how TACs favored flight characters over others. On the other hand, it would be a shame to lose all the swag we have built up over time as a community. I already said the Frank plunger stuff would work with a change to Frank. But I don't know how you could allow flight combos without potentially enabling infinites again, and I thought we were going for shorter combos.

Hmm, that doesn't sound like a DHC to me. It sounds like you just called an assist during a combo.

Also, I wrote this, and it might help you:
http://iplaywinner.com/umvc3-team-building-guide/

That's because we decided to come up with a GAF community patch note list. Go back a few pages and you'll see my post about it all.

Umm don't we do this every few days lol. Are we still running on EVO hype or something. Speaking of EVO when do they upload the grand finals to youtube, I was only able to watch some of pools.

Did you hear about the Ace Attorney player eliminating Yipes at EVO?

Yea I did. Too bad I missed it. I heard it was this guy with this team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ShQvzNK90

Ohio, why?

Oh we should play sometime, I'm in Cincinnati. Add me Pollux. PSN = SlasherMcGirk

Dahbomb

I think this will also improve the pace of the game.

Like in my Wesker scenario... I barely make that 1 meter in my BnB using all my assists and then TAC into Iron Man. I am not getting any meter in my fly combo and my ground combo. The decreased damage overall and no extra meter gained means my previous 500K damage (with the PC extension) is now doing like 150K damage max because I have no PC. Since I have no additional hyper meter for damage, I HAVE to go for the reset after the Smart Bomb with Iron Man. I can't even go for an extra TAC, all I really achieved for the meter is a bit more damage and a different character for the mix up. It improves the pace of the game because they don't have to look at the cinematic of the Proton Cannon hyper and instead would have to deal with a reset, more player on player interaction.

Although in this case I would TAC into a better reset character.

But I don't know how you could allow flight combos without potentially enabling infinites again, and I thought we were going for shorter combos.
Basic flight combos, not swag flight combos which are really only possible because HSD is 0. It would just be stuff like M H, fly, L , H dash H dash H S. Or in Doom's case just a few M's into a Foot Dive. Fly characters would mainly have the edge in positioning the opponent into a corner for better mix ups when they land, the damage would not be that high from those combos.

It would also make sense to TAC into a character like Jill. She can do simple buttons into a her Knee Dive, cartwheel and set up a reset/mix ups situation. For me that situation is preferable than pumping a hyper of Chris into the character if it's not going to kill, I would much rather have a more mix up character have a go at the reset. This would allow Jill to be more viable down the order although she still needs a good assist.

Umm don't we do this every few days lol. Are we still running on EVO hype or something. Speaking of EVO when do they upload the grand finals to youtube, I was only able to watch some of pools.

Oh we should play sometime, I'm in Cincinnati. Add me Pollux. PSN = SlasherMcGirk
This is different: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70703501&postcount=16115

Also, how the hell do you live in Ohio, but our connection is better now that I'm on CO instead of IL?

I think this will also improve the pace of the game.

Like in my Wesker scenario... I barely make that 1 meter in my BnB using all my assists and then TAC into Iron Man. I am not getting any meter in my fly combo and my ground combo. The decreased damage overall and no extra meter gained means my previous 500K damage (with the PC extension) is now doing like 150K damage max because I have no PC. Since I have no additional hyper meter for damage, I HAVE to go for the reset after the Smart Bomb with Iron Man. I can't even go for an extra TAC, all I really achieved for the meter is a bit more damage and a different character for the mix up. It improves the pace of the game because they don't have to look at the cinematic of the Proton Cannon hyper and instead would have to deal with a reset, more player on player interaction.

Although in this case I would TAC into a better reset character.
Here's an idea:
Why are TACs assigned to j.S? Why not assign them to A1 and A2, like snapbacks? You have to be in a superjump state to TAC, so it would never conflict with assist calls.

Basic flight combos, not swag flight combos which are really only possible because HSD is 0. It would just be stuff like M H, fly H dash H dash H S. Or in Doom's case just a few M's into a Foot Dive.
But how do you let the game make that happen at high HSD without causing problems? I don't think you can have both. Though if we're not allowing meter gain after the TAC, I think it might be okay if TACs reduced HSD to 0 (but it still builds). Thoughts?

Pollux

LOL @ the Pollux and Onionfrog conversation.

Hmm, that doesn't sound like a DHC to me. It sounds like you just called an assist during a combo.

Also, I wrote this, and it might help you:
http://iplaywinner.com/umvc3-team-building-guide/

Nice, and I just got my ass handed to me 4 or 5 times in a row haha

Onionfrog, how'd I do for having played for 30 minutes prior to playing with you?

Added you

Nice, and I just got my ass handed to me 4 or 5 times in a row haha

Onionfrog, how'd I do for having played for 30 minutes prior to playing with you?
Done playing already?

If you want to play a few matches, I'll give you a fun training exercise. Let me know.

Dahbomb

But how do you let the game make that happen at high HSD without causing problems? I don't think you can have both. Though if we're not allowing meter gain after the TAC, I think it might be okay if TACs reduced HSD to 0 (but it still builds). Thoughts?
I already said that TACs should either start at 0 for the first hit or start the HSD at the point where you would first do a launch. Like for example, Storm after a basic ground series and launcher can only get a very basic fly combo in the air.. that's the fly combo you should be able to do after a TAC.

Why are TACs assigned to j.S? Why not assign them to A1 and A2, like snapbacks? You have to be in a superjump state to TAC, so it would never conflict with assist calls.
This is a better idea than the current system to be honest. Allows you to freely TAC into any of your character without having to worry about using an assist beforehand. I honestly don't know why this isn't the case already.

I already said that TACs should either start at 0 for the first hit or start the HSD at the point where you would first do a launch. Like for example, Storm after a basic ground series and launcher can only get a very basic fly combo in the air.. that's the fly combo you should be able to do after a TAC.
I am on board with HSD restarting.

Oh okay so we are getting organized about it instead of you and Dahbomb going back in forth followed by God's Beard adding something crazy / ridiculous Magneto buffs then Beef sarcastically replaying to him. That's cool. I'll add my two cents when asked for it.

Also, how the hell do you live in Ohio, but our connection is better now that I'm on CO instead of IL?
It takes two to tango my friend.

Darksim

Hi everyone

Give Devil Trigger hyper armor

By everyone

---

So I heard about what just started to happen in this thread, figured I would attempt to yell at everyone based on that list a few pages back.

I wouldn't really know what to do with TAC hitstun. It should probably reset the hitstun timer, but it should progress normally afterwards until touching the ground. Destroying the ability to extend combos with TACs isn't a good idea, but infinites should be gotten rid of. The TAC counter window should be increased with no visual cue as to which direction it is, making it easier to react with S instead of mashing it, also discouraging mash S + rolling the stick instead of guessing and eliminating the no TAC > hit them out of their preemptive counter mixup.

I don't think the throw tech window needs to be increased, that sounds like the beginning of an online wishlist. Throws should be a powerful mixup option, killing characters off them is an entirely separate issue.

Getting pushed back further from throws would also be super terrible for characters without big buttons, all it would do is make sword normal/super armor characters more ridiculous post throw tech than they are already and hurt everyone else. At one character length Wovlerine's s.L would probably still reach anyway, letting him shit on the entire game post throw tech.

Not being able to throw/tech with diagonals is how the game should have been the whole time.

XF2/3 speed and damage boosts should be toned down, install hyper boosts should add instead of multiply.

Lowering the overall damage just hurts everyone who doesn't already do a ton of damage. Leave that alone and nerf the minimum scaling values on characters who do too much damage.

Get rid of assist calls during both tech rolls and air techs. Make neutral techs on the ground slower, characters stand up far too fast which makes reacting to the neutral tech actually difficult which is one of the dumbest things in this game.

Now, of things I've noticed, you should be able to buffer inputs during the opponents hitstop, currently when your opponent hits your assist character you're practically unable to do anything because of all the hitstop. Zero's s.H is a great example of this.

When an assist character is hit airborne and sent into knockdown, the character should be invincible upon standing up and exiting the stage. Standing up and getting hit by a meaty super instead of exiting is incredibly stupid.

Probably more of a Dante problem than it is for anyone else, the death freeze upon killing a character shouldn't eat the input during it. In vanilla the input move came out as soon as the freeze ended, here you get nothing.

Looks like Kusoru is a bad player.

Being a bad player is irrelevant, never in my life have I laughed harder at someone trolling in a fighting game than him playing Sol, and thus he shall continue to be revered as the finest troll to ever grace the FGC.

Vergil can use Spitfire to convert Helm Breaker/Ground Throw into combos, and I would probably just use Spitfire + s.H > teleport or something instead of Rapid Slash. Spitfire actually works well with Vergil from what I've seen.

FSLink

Banned

When I use Joe/Wright I tend to tack Dante at the end. He's a decent anchor if you know how to do Devil Trigger setups so you can kill people fast with lightning.

For Spitfire vs Logtrap for Vergil, considering Vergil has no neutral assist for that team, Spitfire definitely. Logtrap can make for some easy confirms or extensions into Spiral Swords though.

Dahbomb

Vergil can use Spitfire to convert Helm Breaker/Ground Throw into combos
Didn't know this... this automatically makes Spitfire better than most of the assists that are used for Vergil.

Getting pushed back further from throws would also be super terrible for characters without big buttons, all it would do is make sword normal/super armor characters more ridiculous post throw tech than they are already and hurt everyone else. At one character length Wovlerine's s.L would probably still reach anyway, letting him shit on the entire game post throw tech.
Pretty sure that the push back would be more than Wolverine's st.L length, otherwise that would defeat the purpose. The whole point of the throw tech distance change is that you are out of throw range and out of most character's cr.L range where some people just like to mash on jabs after a throw.

XF2/3 speed and damage boosts should be toned down, install hyper boosts should add instead of multiply.
Already been addressed.

Lowering the overall damage just hurts everyone who doesn't already do a ton of damage. Leave that alone and nerf the minimum scaling values on characters who do too much damage.
The minimum scaling values are going to be adjusted anyway for a few characters. The characters who don't do a ton of damage are the ones who have good tools and mix ups... all of which will be useful in a lower damage game where resets and neutral game is more prevalent. Some characters I would presume would get better scaling like Strider because no way in hell he should be allowed to go over with that shit scaling... it would look like he's healing the opponent when damage is lowered.

Get rid of assist calls during both tech rolls and air techs. Make neutral techs on the ground slower, characters stand up far too fast which makes reacting to the neutral tech actually difficult which is one of the dumbest things in this game.
The tech roll and air tech change has been addressed. The neutral tech change is a great suggestion, I back it up completely.

Now, of things I've noticed, you should be able to buffer inputs during the opponents hitstop, currently when your opponent hits your assist character you're practically unable to do anything because of all the hitstop. Zero's s.H is a great example of this.
I think most people just want the hit stop on Zero's normals to go down dramatically. Shit is insane anyway. It's one thing that the character is top tier as hell.. it's another having to deal with all that hit stop nonsense especially in his combos. Otherwise I agree on this change.

When an assist character is hit airborne and sent into knockdown, the character should be invincible upon standing up and exiting the stage. Standing up and getting hit by a meaty super instead of exiting is incredibly stupid.
I agree 100%.

Pollux

Done playing already?

If you want to play a few matches, I'll give you a fun training exercise. Let me know.

Haha, yeah for now. Have to go meet up with the girlfriend. I'll most likely be back on again later, and will definitely be on for a few hours tomorrow.

Top Bottom