• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

I think to make it easier for everyone, we should just make a small vote on the smaller issues on TAC. For example:

*Do you want the meter resource gain/steal to stay in tact for TACs? Note that if you say no this will make TACs like they were in Vanilla if there was no additional change to the system.

*Do you want TACs to be guaranteed for a bar? If yes then you have to accept that post TAC combos don't build any meter.

*If no, do you want TACs to be reactable to?

*Do you want the 3 way positioning aspect of TACs to stay in tact? If no then there will just be one default TAC, no up or down.

*Should post TAC combos start at 0 HSD or should they start at a set percentage/number after TACs? Note that even in the 0 HSD scenario combos will gradually build back up to normal/full HSD even when both characters are in the air.

*Should post TAC combos incur a damage penalty? What about a HSD penalty?

*Should there be any additional limit put on TAC usage? If so then please give suggestions.

Bizazedo

I think to make it easier for everyone, we should just make a small vote on the smaller issues on TAC. For example:

*Do you want the meter resource gain/steal to stay in tact for TACs? Note that if you say no this will make TACs like they were in Vanilla if there was no additional change to the system.
Yes, it's added some fun and a little bit of strategic thinking to slowing down meter hungry teams.
*Do you want TACs to be guaranteed for a bar? If yes then you have to accept that post TAC combos don't build any meter.

No. I have reasons, but just think it's a bad idea.

Slightly. Maybe make it so there's a longer breaker window, maybe until the new character flying in reaches you. That would also add some fun since it would make it very specific to where on the screen you start it.

It makes character switching easier as well, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad idea.

*Do you want the 3 way positioning aspect of TACs to stay in tact? If no then there will just be one default TAC, no up or down.

Yeah, allows for more options.

*Should post TAC combos start at 0 HSD or should they start at a set percentage/number after TACs? Note that even in the 0 HSD scenario combos will gradually build back up to normal/full HSD even when both characters are in the air.

Somewhere in the middle, but not at zero. Should be a benefit to getting them, but not an exceedingly huge one.

*Should there be any additional limit put on TAC usage? If so then please give suggestion.

Damage scaling should be wherever it was pre-TAC. So if they're maxed on that end, they're maxed. HSD should be at half or 2/3 of where it was pre-TAC.

After thinking about it, I really like my above idea of increasing the counter window to however long it takes for the incoming character to reach and hit you.

Dahbomb

Longer break window is basically the same as making it more reactable.

You have mostly the same suggestion as myself so I guess that's +1 on that end.

dat zero side-mixup game after the movie.

i mean, i can't block that shizz like j wong
Zero is the best character in the game and he makes powerful mechanics like TAC and X factor look redundant. And I can't block that shit either.

That character is going to get hit with the nerf stick, which is going to make TACs and XF stick out more that's why we are preemptively adjusting TACs.

JeTmAn81

The biggest single problem with TAC's has to be the lack of hitstun deterioration, right? Without that, the infinites and ridiculous swag combos and concomitant meter gain go away, and this game gets a lot better. All the other issues are minor compared to that one.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";70872606]My solo Magneto BnB does over 900k for one bar if I throw poison shot assist in there :-o

So godlike[/QUOTE]

Does not...compute...Sentinel initiating self-destruct!

character_header_sentinel.jpg

Dahbomb

The biggest single problem with TAC's has to be the lack of hitstun deterioration, right? Without that, the infinites and ridiculous swag combos and concomitant meter gain go away, and this game gets a lot better. All the other issues are minor compared to that one.
Yeah that's the major one that pretty much everyone agrees on. If you fix that at least if you lose the guessing game you are not punished as hard.

Azure J

I cleaned the list up a bit for easier discussion. I am bolding the ones I am strongly opposed to. I don't have time to explain why right now, but I'm hoping we can all quickly agree that these are not the right direction for the game, or the changes are too extreme for what we are doing here.

* - A person caught in a combo that leads to a TAC from the attacker can pay a meter to counter the tag with their own tag in.

Hmm, actually you're right about this. I was thinking too much about giving an equal opportunity to both attacker and defender, but if TACs are already being toned down (even with my own idea of making them TvC like with the meter price per tag and no zero hitstun bonus combos) then this is a redundant design that only weaken TACs as an option overall.

Get rid of TAC infinite.
TAC can be broken (and will cost attackers red health to disappear) if you either guess correctly or hold an assist button to swap out (this will cost one bar) once a TAC happens.

TAC is integral to Frank and a cool way to switch characters. I would hate to get rid of it.

Dahbomb

I like TAC counter taking away red health. Gives some benefit to countering without making it to powerful.

I don't like the use meter to get out of TACs. That's yet another mechanic a Phoenix team can't use.

Get rid of TAC infinite.
TAC can be broken (and will cost attackers red health to disappear) if you either guess correctly or hold an assist button to swap out (this will cost one bar) once a TAC happens.

TAC is integral to Frank and a cool way to switch characters. I would hate to get rid of it.

its a nice tool, but not integral

super into frank picture or team hyper with frank are more common id say

Dahbomb

The game shouldn't be balanced around Phoenix. Maybe Phoenix should be balanced around the game.
I think we should really consider just doing Phoenix first as so many mechanics end up coming back to her.

If someone proposed a Phoenix alt where there is no dark version at 750k health I would be all for it (with adjustments of course). Basically like Ryu/Ken/Akuma in MVC1 you can select between current DP or regular Jean. The main thing you have to worry about is that healing field super.

Most people would opt for regular Jean with the occasional pocket strat against teams who do bad against Dark Phoenix.

The no L mashing is purely an "on whiff" nerf. It's to prevent things like Magneto players standing under you and mashing s.L into a full combo. It's scrubby stuff. Make them time the s.L. I think that's Dahbomb's thinking.

No mashing jab is only on whiff, when it comes to combos and pressure you still have mashing jab. The reason people want mashing jab gone is because it makes anti airing really brain dead as well as allowing for easier counter on wave dashing/teleporting. So no more Magneto standing under you mashing jab waiting for you to land on it.

Honestly fuck Phoenix right up the god damn ass. If it weren't for that character fixing some of these mechanics would've been a hell of a lot easier. Every time I come up with a decent suggestion (or really anyone else here), it falls flat because "lol Phoenix". It either hurts her really bad or makes her way better, no ones wants either.

Shitty character all around. I mean just think about your own suggestion... putting meter requirement on TAC means that's just yet another mechanic that a Phoenix player cannot use.

But you realize that doing this takes away what Phoenix needs too right?
No more...c.LLLLLL or sLLLLL
or more importantly
tumblr_lvevmjQAkE1qkv5n9o1_500.gif

She needs this since her health is beyond shit, her healing sphere is crap when she is attacked. Do you just expect her to run all day? Come on she needs good things too...

Yes she is a pain in the ass to balance, But just leave her good then, does the game really need two Hsien Ko's? Besides with her current health level, the amount of anti tech, anti characters, she is as dead as she is now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think we should really consider just doing Phoenix first as so many mechanics end up coming back to her.

If someone proposed a Phoenix alt where there is no dark version at 750k health I would be all for it (with adjustments of course). Basically like Ryu/Ken/Akuma in MVC1 you can select been current DP or regular Jean. The main thing you have to worry about is that healing field super.

I think the entire Dark Phoenix Rises mechanic needs to be overhauled. I think it constantly lends itself to balance issues. It's a gimmick that's run it's course.

I'd say 700,000+ Healing Field, which effectively makes her a 900,000 character or so. She's such a ridiculous character sans Dark mode. Give her the option of turning Dark for 3 meters, reduce her damage and ease up on the feathers. Give her a speed boost and draining health.

Giving her more health as regular Phoenix also gives her utility as an assist character, because she really does have decent assists.

She needs this since her health is beyond shit, her healing sphere is crap when she is attacked. Do you just expect her to run all day? Come on she needs good things too...

Yes she is a pain in the ass to balance, But just leave her good then, does the game really need two Hsien Ko's? Besides with her current health level, the amount of anti tech, anti characters, she is as dead as she is now.

Healing Field actually gives her a huge health extension. Players seem to legitimately have issues killing her with regular combos because her health regen is so fast.

She needs good things too? Phoenix is a phenomenal point character. One of the best. She has almost every tool available in the entire game, and the best iterations of those tools. The problem is that most people don't bother learning how to use point Phoenix because they put all their eggs into Dark Phoenix. Why bother learning a character's damage and reset options when they must be desginated to the anchor slot because of the Dark Phoenix mechanic?

And the reason there's so much anti tech out there is because she's still a huge problem when gone unchecked. Just like there will be anti-Vergil and anti-Zero tech as the game continues to evolve.

That's why I said "or some other advantage" because otherwise there is no real distinction between the 3 TACs other than slight positioning.

Honestly fuck Phoenix right up the god damn ass. If it weren't for that character fixing some of these mechanics would've been a hell of a lot easier. Every time I come up with a decent suggestion (or really anyone else here), it falls flat because "lol Phoenix". It either hurts her really bad or makes her way better, no ones wants either.

Shitty character all around. I mean just think about your own suggestion... putting meter requirement on TAC means that's just yet another mechanic that a Phoenix player cannot use.
Phoenix is one of my favorite characters. :-(

If we made all of our system changes, I would go back to Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix, probably. I don't think Phoenix teams not using some tech is a big deal. They already don't use alpha counters, snapbacks, and hypers. That's just how they go.

Now, keep in mind that if it were my team of Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix, I would use my 1-meter TAC suggestion sometimes. Dormammu -> Morrigan lets me connect Soul Drain, and with assist changes there's probably a way for me to combo into a second one. So, it wouldn't be useless for all teams. Plus I don't really care if I lose a bar with that team. :p I end every combo into Chaotic Flame just because I can.

Good idea.

NO.

DISAGREE. There's no problem at all with the post-TAC building meter. Remember, HSD is not being reset. I fully expect that a low damage character might just do c.LMHS, TAC to a big damage character, and earn most of their meter back plus some big damage. That's the entire idea. The meter cost is only there so that there's a reason to consider not using the TAC.

NO.

YES.

They should retain current HSD when the TAC is performed, or reduce current HSD slightly to ensure the incoming character can do a little more than just j.S at the end of long combos.

Definitely no on HSD penalty. That would ruin them even for random TAC systems. TAC damage penalty is an interesting idea.

*Should there be any additional limit put on TAC usage? If so then please give suggestions.[/QUOTE]
Nah.

Looks like Kusoru is a bad player.

But you realize that doing this takes away what Phoenix needs too right?
No more...c.LLLLLL or sLLLLL
or more importantly
tumblr_lvevmjQAkE1qkv5n9o1_500.gif

Phoenix has other abilities besides c.L spam. Hell, c.L spam isn't even good outside of X-Factor. Good Phoenix players use her other tools like tridash j.S, teleport cancel for a mix-up, her traps, etc. c.L is situational for good Dark Phoenix players. Losing it is small, especially since we are going to make changes to ensure that she is still good. If she loses c.L, I think we should buff the range on her feathers by ~15% so that they cover a little more area.

Also, it's pretty stupid that Phoenix beats some characters just by spamming s.L all day. No matchup should be that bad.

You know I love Phoenix, and I totally want to go back to maining her, so there's no anti-Phoenix bias in this opinion. It's irritating for her, but it's a nerf she has to take for the general betterment of the game.

I think the entire Dark Phoenix Rises mechanic needs to be overhauled. I think it constantly lends itself to balance issues. It's a gimmick that's run it's course.

I'd say 700,000+ Healing Field, which effectively makes her a 900,000 character or so. She's such a ridiculous character sans Dark mode. Give her the option of turning Dark for 3 meters, reduce her damage and ease up on the feathers. Give her a speed boost and draining health.

Giving her more health as regular Phoenix also gives her utility as an assist character, because she really does have decent assists.
Her damage is actually not absurd outside of XF3. She can't even ToD everyone in the game. We're already going to reduce the game's overall damage, so Dark Phoenix will need to reset characters to kill. That's a pretty huge (but fine) change for her, since it will also mean she won't die so easily.

Turning dark for 5 meters is fine. With the damage reduction we are doing, I expect we are actually not going to reduce damage at all, but rather buff character health. This is important because if we actually reduced damage, it would mess up meter building. Like, right now Dormammu only builds about 60% of a bar with his ABC combo, and advanced combos barely reach a full bar when they are fully optimized (read: very hard). If we really did reduce damage by 50%, you're looking at Dormammu only building 1/3 of a bar per combo, which is really, really sad and just won't work.

With everyone having more health, the game will have more meter built over all. Getting Phoenix to 5 bars will be pretty easy.

Sooooooo let's just get rid of TACs because it's a beat as fuck mechanic? Swerve.

I'unno how I'd balance TACs. FUCK TACS.
We're trying to make realistic adjustments, and there's no way Capcom would get rid of TACs entirely. Major adjustments like that are all for a new iteration. That's why I struck down a few of my own changes despite thinking they are fantastic ideas.

I like the anti-jab spam adjustment. Let everyone feel the pain of She-Hulk players.
LOL.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Once again EVO has brought me around to this game, so I dusted off my copy (which I haven't touched in around 6 months) and popped it in. To my surprise, I didn't remember any of the skills or combos I had spent ~25 hours practicing last year.

Back to the training room I guess.

Phoenix has other abilities besides c.L spam. Hell, c.L spam isn't even good outside of X-Factor. Good Phoenix players use her other tools like tridash j.S, teleport cancel for a mix-up, her traps, etc. c.L is situational for good Dark Phoenix players. Losing it is small, especially since we are going to make changes to ensure that she is still good. If she loses c.L, I think we should buff the range on her feathers by ~15% so that they cover a little more area.

Also, it's pretty stupid that Phoenix beats some characters just by spamming s.L all day. No matchup should be that bad.

True. But she can use it as a mix up as well. jM into teleport works just as good as jS
Heck s.M into teleport works good too. I think your idea would work better, but I still feel it's need to help her snag a character. I just don't see why she can't have it and others lose it. Magneto should lose it I mean come on, God's Beard said he has a combo that 900,000 meterless. Phoenix can't even reach that high unless she has X-Factor. Not even with assists is it that high. The highest I seen was with Phoenix and Spencer. and it was 700,000 range which also used meter. I don't know, maybe give the feathers more durability points and move farther out? Ha let them home in on the character? lol to OP.
Yes it is stupid, but only good for 9 hits. If she has XF the character is dead. If no XF is present then she has to struggle for high damage. Given it's possible to get a TOD on the high vitality cast but it is hard, at least for me anyway.

oh...were suppose to be talking about system changes...
Make TAC XF TAC cost a bar...

Once again EVO has brought me around to this game, so I dusted off my copy (which I haven't touched in around 6 months) and popped it in. To my surprise, I didn't remember any of the skills or combos I had spent ~25 hours practicing last year.

Back to the training room I guess.
ABC your way to victory!

Man this topic exploded in the last couple of days. I feel left out.
That's because we decided to come up with a GAF community patch note list. Go back a few pages and you'll see my post about it all.

True. But she can use it as a mix up as well. jM into teleport works just as good as jS
Heck s.M into teleport works good too. I think your idea would work better, but I still feel it's need to help her snag a character. I just don't see why she can't have it and others lose it. Magneto should lose it I mean come on, God's Beard said he has a combo that 900,000 meterless. Phoenix can't even reach that high unless she has X-Factor. Not even with assists is it that high. The highest I seen was with Phoenix and Spencer. and it was 700,000 range which also used meter. I don't know, maybe give the feathers more durability points and move farther out? Ha let them home in on the character? lol to OP.
Yes it is stupid, but only good for 9 hits. If she has XF the character is dead. If no XF is present then she has to struggle for high damage. Given it's possible to get a TOD on the high vitality cast but it is hard, at least for me anyway.
Dark Phoenix can definitely reach 900,000 without X-Factor. She has a 1,125,000 corner bnb, even. 1,043,900 mid-screen.

I told you exactly why Dark Phoenix should lose s.L/c.L spam: it gives her 10-0 matchups against some heavies.

Let's save all the various Phoenix changes for next week; Dahbomb is right that we should do her first. I just wanted to address the s.L nerf. Also, don't forget that the game considers Phoenix's normals to hit when the feathers hit. So unless you are spamming s.L like a moron from half a screen away, it's still going to be a strong tool.

oh...were suppose to be talking about system changes...
Make TAC XF TAC cost a bar...
This is something that making TACs cost a bar and not affect your opponent's meter solves, too. Giving TACs a longer response time does not fix this problem. You can say stuff like "disable XFCs from TACs", but we all know people will find ways around it.

"i'm going to keep punching and if you run into, it's your own fault"
It's mostly an anti-air nerf, and a good one.

Dahbomb

The ChrisG vs WingZero match was recorded and it was crazy hype. Posted in the FGW thread.

I can't get behind meter gain being active after a guaranteed TAC. If you increase the HSD post TAC too much then the mechanic becomes useless for most of the cast especially Frank West (if he can't do his Plunger combo it will be hard to add number of hits in the combo). If HSD is lowered to allow some aerial combos, then fly characters are easily going to build back the 1 meter in the air, go for another TAC, build that meter back and then unleash the lvl1 or higher. That's a potential 3 character length combo off of a BnB from a weak character. That's inflated damage, something we are trying to avoid in the patch.

If the committee unanimously agrees on a 1 meter guaranteed TAC then the combo you get off that cannot build meter. Otherwise I vote down on it, I think that's giving the mechanic room for exploitation.

The ChrisG vs WingZero match was recorded and it was crazy hype. Posted in the FGW thread.

I can't get behind meter gain being active after a guaranteed TAC. If you increase the HSD post TAC too much then the mechanic becomes useless for most of the cast especially Frank West (if he can't do his Plunger combo it will be hard to add number of hits in the combo). If HSD is lowered to allow some aerial combos, then fly characters are easily going to build back the 1 meter in the air, go for another TAC, build that meter back and then unleash the lvl1 or higher. That's a potential 3 character length combo off of a BnB from a weak character. That's inflated damage, something we are trying to avoid in the patch.

If the committee unanimously agrees on a 1 meter guaranteed TAC then the combo you get off that cannot build meter. Otherwise I vote down on it, I think that's giving the mechanic room for exploitation.
Explain why this is problematic after I take care of your concerns from above:
1) There's no HSD increase post-TAC. Since TACs cause a spinning knockdown, if you are at max HSD you can still land a j.S on the incoming character to spike. This is a safe tag with possible combo extensions and such. For example, the following might happen:
Morrigan: s.LMH, f.H, j.MMHS, s.MH, c.H, f.H, j.MMHS, s.S, sj.MMH, dp.M, fly, j.H, TAC down

I just wrote that Morrigan combo because it's easy. Now, Morrigan probably did about 400K damage with that, and she built maybe 2/3 of a bar. She spent 1 bar to TAC to a partner, who I will say is Chris for this example.

Chris: j.S, jump, qcf.L (ground bounce), qcf.L (wall bounce), dash forward, call Dark Harmonizer, Flamethrower, dp.AA

This costs 2 bars, but Dark Harmonizer and Chris' extension built up a good mount of meter and damage. Morrigan TACs to Chris because he can use the bounces while she can't. It's perfectly okay that Chris built back some of the meter he cost to bring in. Even if he built back a full bar solo, that would be perfectly fine, because that means this particular team would be structured around using TACs to do big damage.

In other words, TACs become just another team utility for big damage. Trish teams use Round Harvest unblockables for 1 bar to get big damage, and this gets big damage another way for 1 bar. You wouldn't say there's no meter gain after a Round Harvest unblockable, would you? Because contextually, the 1 bar TAC and the Round Harvest unblockable do the exact same thing, except the 1 bar TAC is a weaker version of the Round Harvest setup since you aren't resetting damage post-TAC.

Alternatively, think of this as a lesser version of Doom hard tags. Firebrand's Bon Voyage into Doom is a pretty typical setup, and it's not a big deal. This is a weaker version of that, and it costs a bar to set up.

2) I already suggest a fix for Frank West: let his aerial plungers link into themselves at minimum hitstun. Problem solved. It wouldn't give him ridiculous damage, since you can only perform them three times in the air, and it would let his post-TAC combo still complete. It's not an issue.

3) HSD lowering was just a thought. After giving it some consideration, I don't think that we should let TACs lower HSD at all. If someone wants to wait until the end of their combo to TAC, that's their decision and they know what they are doing.

4) Multi-TAC combos are not a problem. Take my Morrigan -> Chris combo for example. Say Chris launches into a TAC after Flamethrower instead of going into his hyper. Who cares? Whoever he TACs to won't be able to do much more than a j.S before the combo drops. And he would be TACing back to Morrigan in this instance. Even if you TACed between two combo monsters like Chris and Dante, they can't repeat their strings because ground bounces, etc. get used up.

Now, tell me one possible abuse of this system. I know it seems like they might exist, but I do not think they do.

Anyone play in the SFV area of SoCal?
It's best to ask in the Fighting Games Weekly thread. More people frequent it.

I think TACs should be punishable if broken. They should cause the same effect as the direction pressed(wallbounce, ground bounce or spinning knockdown) and end in a hard knockdown. If you had a 1/3rd chance of losing a character by going for a TAC infinite, less people would abuse them.

Would TAC reversal from the early builds of MvC3 still be possible with only changing a few lines of code?
I'd think that being able to move or attack after a TAC counter would be nice instead of floating down giving the opponent time to recover.

Would TAC reversal from the early builds of MvC3 still be possible with only changing a few lines of code?
I'd think that being able to move or attack after a TAC counter would be nice instead of floating down giving the opponent time to recover.
Guys, then no one would use TACs. No one is going to go from being able to kill a character to risking losing a character. Yet we'd all still have to mash d+S or something. :p

Also, let's not forget that breakable TACs have one serious problem: the secret weapon only GB, Dahbomb, and I are aware of. They're just a bad idea in practice.

Dahbomb

So your fix to the new TAC system is to change Frank's HSD?

What if that leads to a Frank infinite? I mean how can you be sure? Because if after a Morrigan combo the only thing most characters get is a basic j.H into j.S yet Frank gets full plunger links.... that's a problem. It tells me that Frank has some HSD ignoring combos going on if he is able to link plungers where other characters can't do much at all. What about fly characters like Iron Man and Doom? Can they do fly combos? If yes then that's a lot of inflated damage on the table especially when assists get involved and if not then this TAC is certifiably useless for most of the cast (except Frank because apparently he can ignore the HSD).

And hey I am perfectly fine with making TACs useless even at the expense of characters. But that defeats the purpose of a realistic patch. And I don't know why you would be against meter gained after TACs, I mean you can still allow Harmonizer to give you meter after TAC. TACs should be a way to swap characters and add some extra damage, not be a way to make extended BnBs. In fact TACs were never intended for you to make BnBs around, otherwise they wouldn't be breakable.

So your fix to the new TAC system is to change Frank's HSD?

What if that leads to a Frank infinite? I mean how can you be sure? Because if after a Morrigan combo the only thing most characters get is a basic j.H into j.S yet Frank gets full plunger links.... that's a problem. It tells me that Frank has some HSD ignoring combos going on if he is able to link plungers where other characters can't do much at all. What about fly characters like Iron Man and Doom? Can they do fly combos? If yes then that's a lot of inflated damage on the table especially when assists get involved and if not then this TAC is certifiably useless for most of the cast (except Frank because apparently he can ignore the HSD).
It logically cannot lead to a Frank West infinite. Lots of characters have moves that ignore HSD. That doesn't mean they get infinites. The only way it could lead to an infinite is if Frank West could do something like a combo into a jump loop that lets him do three Tools of Survival, land, and then jump and do three Tools of Survival again. Anything else would result in Frank West dropping the combo due to HSD.

Really, think about this: have you ever worried about Dormammu having a Dark Hole infinite? I mean, it has a very high, even positive frame, minimum hitstun. Of course not. It's the same kind of situation, and it just doesn't happen. You just have to make sure that the opponent will reach the ground before Frank West can land, rejump, and perform his special again. That's pretty easy to accommodate.

Iron Man and Doom can do TAC flight combos if the HSD is low enough. Remember, we aren't lowering the HSD after TACs, so it would have to be an early TAC. This would definitely not be useless to most of the cast, because every
team benefits from being able to spend a bar to swap characters out, especially when the incoming character can earn part of that bar back, making it really half a bar for a decent combo extension when your team is well organized. It will definitely be more useful to some teams than others, but that's to be expected - what tool is equally beneficial to all teams?

And hey I am perfectly fine with making TACs useless even at the expense of characters. But that defeats the purpose of a realistic patch. And I don't know why you would be against meter gained after TACs, I mean you can still allow Harmonizer to give you meter after TAC. TACs should be a way to swap characters and add some extra damage, not be a way to make extended BnBs. In fact TACs were never intended for you to make BnBs around, otherwise they wouldn't be breakable.
Huh? You said you wanted TACs to not build meter afterward. I said they should be able to. TACs were intended to be a scubby as hell mechanic to add flash, zap, and zing to the game like X-Factor. Our goal is to fix that and turn it into a respectable mechanic. And plenty of teams have their strategy based around TACs. Hell, I end almost every Firebrand combo into a Dormammu TAC.

It wouldn't be a "bnb" situation, because you just TACed a new character in. You would have to raw tag your other character back in, and that comes with trade-offs. Even if it were a bnb situation, I don't really see the problem with that. Right now, a Doom infinite is everyone's bnb.

Pollux

Alright, I just picked this game up today. I've been pretty consistent playing mainly MK my whole life along with Injustice recently (like the last 5 days haha).

Although, after watching UMVC3 on the Evo stream it looked fun so I decided to pick it up. I think the last "arcadey" fighting game I played was Tekken back on the actual arcade machine sometime around 1998. and i was atrocious on that. So...yeah...we'll see how this goes haha

Anyway, installing the game now, and I'll be on PS3 if anyone wants to play sometime. I don't have a headset or anything, but I'll be giving this a try.

Just thought I would say hello.

Guys, then no one would use TACs. No one is going to go from being able to kill a character to risking losing a character. Yet we'd all still have to mash d+S or something. :p

Also, let's not forget that breakable TACs have one serious problem: the secret weapon only GB, Dahbomb, and I are aware of. They're just a bad idea in practice.

wha? send me a pm please cause now I'm more confused...

Alright, I just picked this game up today. I've been pretty consistent playing mainly MK my whole life along with Injustice recently (like the last 5 days haha).

Although, after watching UMVC3 on the Evo stream it looked fun so I decided to pick it up. I think the last "arcadey" fighting game I played was Tekken back on the actual arcade machine sometime around 1998. and i was atrocious on that. So...yeah...we'll see how this goes haha

Anyway, installing the game now, and I'll be on PS3 if anyone wants to play sometime. I don't have a headset or anything, but I'll be giving this a try.

Just thought I would say hello.
I'm curious: why is Marvel "arcadey", but MK and Injustice aren't?

If you just picked up the game, my advice is to pick 3 characters you really like, and then post here for advice on where to start with them. We're all helpful and friendly. You just have to watch out for Gods_Beard giving you advice that you won't be able to use until you practice the game for another 10 years.

wha? send me a pm please cause now I'm more confused...
No PMs necessary - what's the confusion?

Dahbomb

Man I just say keep it simple and prevent meter gain after a guaranteed TAC. Never underestimate the community to figure out an exploit in a new mechanic.

And I wouldn't be against TAC counters leading to full combo if TACs were free. It would be the equivalent of reading a raw tag and punishing the opponent for it. Anything to punish scrubbish play is good in my book.

A Doom infinite isn't a BnB because it's not guaranteed. Anything that isn't guaranteed always disqualifies it from being a BnB.

Man I just say keep it simple and prevent meter gain after a guaranteed TAC. Never underestimate the community to figure out an exploit in a new mechanic.

And I wouldn't be against TAC counters leading to full combo if TACs were free. It would be the equivalent of reading a raw tag and punishing the opponent for it. Anything to punish scrubbish play is good in my book.
I think TAC counters leading to punishes would destroy the mechanic, and that's not what we want. We want it to become useful in a non-stupid way.

Paint me a detailed scenario where my suggestion leads to a problem. I have been thinking about this TAC change for almost 2 years now, so I am very confident that it is without problems.

Edit: Basically, give me a reason beyond "I don't like this idea because I don't understand all of its potential consequences". Our job here is to figure out those potential consequences. If you shy away from this sort of stuff, we'll never get anywhere.

Pollux

I'm curious: why is Marvel "arcadey", but MK and Injustice aren't?

If you just picked up the game, my advice is to pick 3 characters you really like, and then post here for advice on where to start with them. We're all helpful and friendly. You just have to watch out for Gods_Beard giving you advice that you won't be able to use until you practice the game for another 10 years.

Well, based on what I've seen, UMVC3 seems to have more of the comic look, and the huge combos, and just looks more like the arcade fighters that I played when I was a kid. Whereas the recent MK (and Injustice) have a different look about them. When I'm playing the more recent entries into the MK series it feels as if the characters have more weight to them, and the moves are more cumbersome, etc. I don't really know how else to say it.

Sorry if I'm not explaining it all that well.

Well, based on what I've seen, UMVC3 seems to have more of the comic look, and the huge combos, and just looks more like the arcade fighters that I played when I was a kid. Whereas the recent MK (and Injustice) have a different look about them. When I'm playing the more recent entries into the MK series it feels as if the characters have more weight to them, and the moves are more cumbersome, etc. I don't really know how else to say it.

Sorry if I'm not explaining it all that well.
I understand your differentiation, but MK9 has roughly the same amount of cumbersomeness UMK3 and its predecessors have. So I'm still not entirely following you. Maybe it's because, for me, Mortal Kombat was a big arcade game. I played it a lot. I also played Marvel and Street Fighter, though. I think my most played arcade game was Killer Instinct, though. The memories of that game...I remember being 8 and a 24 year old called me "fucking cheap". :-D

Regardless, welcome to the thread, and ask tons of questions - we love questions here.

Dahbomb

Well you still haven't painted a scenario where my suggestion would be a problem either. I mean you tried to talk about how making it reactable would kill it but that didn't pan out because you didn't have anything concrete to say about my mix up analogy particularly with the way throws work in Tekken. Top players still fall for 20 frame mix ups and by now everyone knows which color corresponds to which TAC.

I would be on board if there is no meter gain. I think stuff like Iron Man tacking on double Repulsar Blast/Spread into another TAC after the BnB of a weak character combo will lead to inflated combos and result in BnBs being made around TACs which is not what the system is about at all. The whole choice and input by the opposite player is core to the TAC, I want to feel like a boss for countering someone's TAC. Guaranteed TAC just makes it more 1 player-ish, making it reactable makes it into a thing two players can participate in.

Top Bottom