• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Dahbomb

Strange is no where near as bad as Dorm in the opening gambit. Backwards plink dash and Impact Palm OS already makes him much better than Dorm in that department.

Characters who are bad at the opening gambit aside from Dorm are Chris, Hawkeye, Iron Man and Thor. Thor is the closest to Dorm (has even worse normals for up close) but even his backwards plink dash is actually pretty decent. Hawkeye has no good up close tools aside from a mediocre OS but he too has a slick backwards dash. Chris has slower mobility but he at least has stun rod option select. Iron Man is only slightly better than Dorm because he has a fast jab and a fast cr.L... otherwise he gets mauled pretty easily because his mobility is worse than Dorm.

LakeEarth

Nemesis has to have one of the worst opening gambits. 8 frames is his fastest normal, all armor moves come later than 8 frames, he's as big as a house and dashes are slow.

Strange is no where near as bad as Dorm in the opening gambit. Backwards plink dash and Impact Palm OS already makes him much better than Dorm in that department.

Characters who are bad at the opening gambit aside from Dorm are Chris, Hawkeye, Iron Man and Thor. Thor is the closest to Dorm (has even worse normals for up close) but even his backwards plink dash is actually pretty decent. Hawkeye has no good up close tools aside from a mediocre OS but he too has a slick backwards dash. Chris has slower mobility but he at least has stun rod option select. Iron Man is only slightly better than Dorm because he has a fast jab and a fast cr.L... otherwise he gets mauled pretty easily because his mobility is worse than Dorm.
Though if you can put that fear of being grabbed by Chris into a person, they will start second guessing the opening. I've hada Wolverine actually back off because I grabbed him 4 matches in row.

I think want to make a team with Chris second. I haven't played him in the second slot since vanilla though. He's strictly a point character for me, but I think he'd do well second.... except he gets slaughtered on incoming. I don't think anyone has it as bad as him.

And for the first time in forever a game has taken me away from my Marvel addiction. Thank you Titanfall.

Hm, how well would a Strange/Dorm/Vergil team work you think? I used a similar team but with Doom at the back and it worked all right, but random missile hits are awkward to convert off of with Strange. I also switched it to Doom/Dorm/Strange (bolts) when I had to fight a Wolverine or something.

There was also that Japanese player who used Strange/Iron Man/Vergil too.
The guy in question actually plays Strange/Dormammu/Vergil, and does it extremely well. Oh my god, Spell of Vishanti -> Stalking Flare is nasty, and so is Stalking Flare -> Spell of Vishanti to get Strange in. He can counter so much stuff. The downside is that Dormammu/Vergil is only good, not great.

I honestly think the game still has juice, but folks are tired of dealing with BS.

In certain match-ups, fwd.H is great- Wolvie trying to dive kick/throw OS during opening gambit? lol- dead Wolverine. It can get blown up though if someone knows you'll try it though. In match-ups where you have to respect the opponent, like against Hulk, not being able to OS backdash/throw sucks pretty bad though.
Against Hulk, just eat the ground throw at the start. I either do that, or I jump right at the start and block his s.H, then pushblock. Hulk players rarely go for the air throw because they get slaughtered if it whiffs at the start.

I actually need to figure out the proper Firebrand start against Hulk now that I'm back to him.

And speaking of which, I need a punching bag who is okay with taking a lot of punishment. I think I might have a new consistent meterless unblockable setup for my Firebrand team. No one has gotten out of it yet, though crossover counter into Hard Drive would work.

Nemesis is pretty bad too.
I forgot he existed. He might actually have it worse than Dormammu.

shaowebb

What about Hsien-ko?
Activating gold armor and tagging out doesn't count! :p

Man Hsien Ko hurts to look at. Such a terrific idea for a moveset addition and they just wrecked her. She had so much potential to add to this game's meta and she just got hit hard in transition to Marvel. She was so hype in Darkstalkers 3...

onionfrog

Man Hsien Ko hurts to look at. Such a terrific idea for a moveset addition and they just wrecked her. She had so much potential to add to this game's meta and she just got hit hard in transition to Marvel. She was so hype in Darkstalkers 3...
Especially when the only buffs she got from vanilla to ultimate were jump cancellable command normals.

I don't know what Capcom was thinking. ;(
I know, I know they were thinking: "B-B-But she has gold armor assists!"

shaowebb

Especially when the only buffs she got from vanilla to ultimate were jump cancellable command normals.

I don't know what Capcom was thinking. ;(
I know, I know they were thinking: "B-B-But she has gold armor assists!"

Capcom does this...if they have a character with a REALLY amazing strong point that they cannot feel safe balancing a whole moveset around they tend to refuse to just admit at some point that what they need to do is moderately tone down the Uber tool so that this character can function.

In Hsien Ko's case they feared gold armor and made her over handicapped just to have something that crazy around. In Iron Fist's case, IMO, it was his damage. It was insanely high for a pressure character and rather than tone it back enough to make him able to function in Marvel they wrecked his mobility and mixups.

Sometimes its better to admit that if you toned down one really good tool you could safely improve them across the board IMO. Not even sure Hsien ko would need toned down much on her armor honestly. If they left it counting down after tagout she could still use it, but only moderately so she couldn't overpower other folks so easily. With that assist normalized they could then safely build up her other tools enough to function.

Yeah I forgot he existed too ... LOL!

I didn't :-(

MCOGxnS.png

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";104390970]I didn't :-(

MCOGxnS.png
[/QUOTE]

Nice! You should ink the linework in and pop that one into photoshop to add color flatting and shadework on Beardo.

Nice! You should ink the linework in and pop that one into photoshop to add color flatting and shadework on Beardo.

Yeah it's just a doodle from last year's sketchbook but it seemed appropriate lol

Definitely should ink it, but I wanna do a fine art version with less... copyrighted characters since I like the zombie audience idea as social commentary

Means I need to redo the comp anyway so I'm probably fine with both.

I just picked this up with the DLC for Vita - does anyone know how to select the alt costumes? I can select them for Shuma and Jill, but everyone else just goes from Color 1 to Color 6. I've reinstalled.

Edit: Oh, there's a title update - that may fix it.

Edit 2: And it did! Sorry for the trouble.

I just picked this up with the DLC for Vita - does anyone know how to select the alt costumes? I can select them for Shuma and Jill, but everyone else just goes from Color 1 to Color 6. I've reinstalled.

Edit: Oh, there's a title update - that may fix it.

Edit 2: And it did! Sorry for the trouble.
I feel so inconvenienced.

This guy on my psn friend list pisses me off so fucking much. He spams the shit out of my inbox expecting me to drop whatever match/set I'm playing and join him. Seriously, he'll send me an invite like every 10 seconds and after a couple of minutes he'll ask me why I'm not joining. Like is he fucking serious? Does he think I'm just sitting there on my hands?

The only reason I don't delete him is because he is good for trying out new teams. He's not so easy that I can steamroll him, and he's not so hard that it feels hopeless to learn anything with a new team.

But goddamn it is irritating nonetheless.

This guy on my psn friend list pisses me off so fucking much. He spams the shit out of my inbox expecting me to drop whatever match/set I'm playing and join him. Seriously, he'll send me an invite like every 10 seconds and after a couple of minutes he'll ask me why I'm not joining. Like is he fucking serious? Does he think I'm just sitting there on my hands?

The only reason I don't delete him is because he is good for trying out new teams. He's not so easy that I can steamroll him, and he's not so hard that it feels hopeless to learn anything with a new team.

Crazy idea: tell him it bothers you.

Ggs Solace. I was super salty about that loss when Shuma's level 3 dropped. What BS. GGs. I would love info from you about what was making my unblockables work or not work. I am still figuring it out, and training mode does not help for this stuff.

Anyone else want to play?

Edit: the dark hole unblockable cannot be escaped without invincibility. I need to find one more meterless unblockable now...

Ggs Solace. I was super salty about that loss when Shuma's level 3 dropped. What BS. GGs. I would love info from you about what was making my unblockables work or not work. I am still figuring it out, and training mode does not help for this stuff.

Anyone else want to play?

Edit: the dark hole unblockable cannot be escaped without invincibility. I need to find one more meterless unblockable now...

GGs. That unblockable stuff had me frustrated along with Firebrand crossing me up all the time. When you would go for the unblockable with darkhole in the corner I just started holding upback to escape. It worked most of the time but your timing was getting better as the match went on and it was getting harder for me to escape. I just took the hit with the stalking flare setup because it was better than getting forced back into the unblockable vortex.

GGs. That unblockable stuff had me frustrated along with Firebrand crossing me up all the time. When you would go for the unblockable with darkhole in the corner I just started holding upback to escape. It worked most of the time but your timing was getting better as the match went on and it was getting harder for me to escape. I just took the hit with the stalking flare setup because it was better than getting forced back into the unblockable vortex.
Yeah, it is better to get hit. Sometimes raw tags are good, too. They force me to react quickly.

The Dark Hole unblockable cannot be escaped by jumps if I time it right, but online makes me mess up inputs sometimes.

I am trying to figure out another unblockable with Shuma so I can ping pong between meterless unblockables. I need to make the incoming unblockable inescapable too.

Also, screw your random Lancers with Spencer. :p

Yeah, it is better to get hit. Sometimes raw tags are good, too. They force me to react quickly.

The Dark Hole unblockable cannot be escaped by jumps if I time it right, but online makes me mess up inputs sometimes.

I am trying to figure out another unblockable with Shuma so I can ping pong between meterless unblockables. I need to make the incoming unblockable inescapable too.

Also, screw your random Lancers with Spencer. :p

I admit I started to play nutty when I swapped out Hawkeye for Spencer lol

I could never establish my keep away game because of Shuma's assist. I've never played that team versus Shuma and that assist completely shut me down.

I admit I started to play nutty when I swapped out Hawkeye for Spencer lol

I could never establish my keep away game because of Shuma's assist. I've never played that team versus Shuma and that assist completely shut me down.
Mystic Ray shuts a lot of stuff down. Shuma is super bad, but the full screen sweep is vicious. It works better with Wolvie, but I prefer Firebrand for his style.

Your Strange is the second best I have faced. Anyone who thinks he is bad at starting the match should play you. Though I think Rapid Slash is better than either of the assists you have.

I am also starting to look respectable with Shuma. A few matches I almost made comebacks against you. The poor squid has no solid incoming mixups. :(

onionfrog

I bought a copy of Vanilla and played it with my buddies this weekend.
God damn vanilla was wack.
I really missed felicia's air delta kick and otg sand splash, but with vanilla's meter building you can keep kitty helper up 24/7.
Wolverine was so fucking dumb in vanilla.

Marz

I'm sorry Dood I'll stop

Before I forget, GGs last night Kevo. I could almost hear you mashing zipline with Spencer in our games lol.

LOL damn sentinel comebacks, i should have had you like at least 3-4 times!!

at least in the last match i hit you with the happy birthday execution error...i'd never tried power of the nova force > xfc > j.S > cent rush to accidental speed tackle bionic arm..i meant to just keep dhc'ing into task up arrows

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Marz

Haha it wasn't you (unless I'm missing the joke here). It was some random guy I came across. In fact I've never even played you, though you are on my list. Feel free to send me a message and let me know you wanna play.

Lol I was just kidding, what's your PSN name?

And do you got Marvel on 360?

Marz

I have Marvel and sf4.

My psn is - EyelessOrphan

Sick. My PS3 isnt wired but the 360 is so I generally try not to play online on PSN

But let me add you on 360? I'm free on weekday evenings most of the time.

I'm pretty free at Marvel but its mostly because I don't have anyone to play with, my local scene only plays SF4 and I can't stand online cuz I play Mags. But I would love to get some matches in for some MU experience cuz iirc u play tons of characters?

I'm pretty competent at SF4 though....2800-3200 PP range.

Sick. My PS3 isnt wired but the 360 is so I generally try not to play online on PSN

But let me add you on 360? I'm free on weekday evenings most of the time.

I'm pretty free at Marvel but its mostly because I don't have anyone to play with, my local scene only plays SF4 and I can't stand online cuz I play Mags. But I would love to get some matches in for some MU experience cuz iirc u play tons of characters?

I'm pretty competent at SF4 though....2800-3200 PP range.
I read your previous post wrong. I thought you asked me about psn

Pretty much everything still applies though. I have Marvel and sf4 on 360 as well. My xbl gamertag is slightly different.

Xbl - EylessOrphan.

Please note that the spelling is actually different.

I'm at my friends house often and use another tag often but only for Marvel cause he has my copy. I had gotten it back briefly but told him he could hold onto it since he now lives so close. Like literally around the corner. I can play it any time.

Xbl - Burying Time

I'm not that great at Street fighter at the moment since I took a massive break (year). My PP was 3100 I believe until recently when I played again and lost several matches in row. I think I'm at like 2500 right now. I'm very rusty but I'm looking to get back into it before Ultra, so you can beat my ass and help me get back. I'm having a character crisis though.

Top Bottom