• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

umm...high-end card... Q: Can is 256MB 'faster' than 128MB?Is 256 worth the $$$ ?

The contention is that texture processing in a high-end Radeon/Geforce card probably comes down to compression and compression only. Will things be smoother non-compressed? Is the extra 128MB of DDR3 video memory worth the money?

I think I might be better served just to get 128MB if framerate is not an issue.......because the money sure is.

I'm trying to decide this for myself by this evening. I'll be an uncle soon, so I'll have lots of hang-out time at home, and while my dad works around oil pipelines, I'll be doing this here and readying myself for the fall semester.

dream

No, the extra ram doesn't make the card faster but it does make the card more future-proof.

yes. future proof (but then you could just buy a newer card, faster better card).

Atm, not too many games on the market use the 256mb or extra ram. It might come in handy if you do 3d (for acceleration in OpenGL or something) but otherwise, its money down the drain.

Top Bottom