• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmbomb

I am dogshit online. Is there a tips page somewhere? I am constantly lowest on kills. But I do make up for it by actually getting killed more THAN ANYBODY ON THE FUCKING GAME!!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Any broken street dates around here in big chains? I haven't had a new game for a while now, but I'm trying to hold out until the Toys r us sale.

snack

grimmbomb said:
I am dogshit online. Is there a tips page somewhere? I am constantly lowest on kills. But I do make up for it by actually getting killed more THAN ANYBODY ON THE FUCKING GAME!!

Use cover to your advantage.

Magnus

I am constantly floored at how awesome this game looks. The detail is ridiculous. The shooting/grappling/climbing physics and controls leave a lot to be desired, but they're more than serviceable.

The action sequences are just unbelievable. Every few minutes, I literally pause to look around and remind myself how much better this game looks than anything we had five years ago. It's staggering.

It's too bad so much of the dialogue is Hollywood ham crap. There are some great edgy lines here and there, but so much snoozefest garbage too. More than tolerable however; it really feels like taking part in a Hollywood blockbuster more than anything.

How was Uncharted 1 when it came to linearity and replay value?

I know I sound like I'm complaining. I'm really quite happy; this shit is amazing, and is so visually intense that it evens itself out for all its shortcomings.

Zzoram

Magnus said:
I am constantly floored at how awesome this game looks. The detail is ridiculous.

I remember people said that all the time about Uncharted 1 but I wasn't very impressed. Maybe it's because I had read a year's worth of hype by the time I saw the game. Uncharted 1 is definitely one of the better looking games out there, but it never blew me away or anything.

I am really hoping that Uncharted 2 really is that much prettier than Uncharted 1 because after hearing constantly about it, my expectations are somewhat elevated. I haven't been blown away by graphics in a long time, and I really miss that feeling.

grumble

Magnus said:
How was Uncharted 1 when it came to linearity and replay value?

It was basically the same game no matter what you did, but it had a lot of replay value. As you play it on the harder difficulties, your tactics are forced to change and it feels like a new experience. There are also treasures to collect, and trophies. I beat the game three times, and that's not strange. Easily squeeze ~25 hours out of the game since Crushing is so... crushing.

This one promises to be much the same, but with the addition of co-op and multiplayer, it's obviously got something more, and as it's a longer game each playthrough will be longer.

Zzoram

jaydogg691 said:
I heard there is at least 100.

UGH. The more collectibles there are, the less motivation there is to get them legitimately instead of looking up a map online. Especially in a linear game where missing one requires you to replay an entire level.

Does it at least indicate which chapters are still missing treasures?

ezekial45

Banned
Zzoram said:
UGH. The more collectibles there are, the less motivation there is to get them legitimately instead of looking up a map online. Especially in a linear game where missing one requires you to replay an entire level.

Does it at least indicate which chapters are still missing treasures?

Yeah, the game keeps track all the treasures you've collected and shows you how many there are in the chapter select.

Zzoram

ezekial45 said:
Yeah, the game keeps track all the treasures you've collected and shows you how many there are in the chapter select.

That will be very helpful. Maybe I won't need a guide afterall. I hope the game really is as good as everyone is saying so I'll want to keep replaying it and have plenty of opportunities to find missing treasures.

snack

Zzoram said:
That will be very helpful. Maybe I won't need a guide afterall. I hope the game really is as good as everyone is saying so I'll want to keep replaying it and have plenty of opportunities to find missing treasures.

If you don't wanna pull out wads of hair from your head, I suggest using a guide. :D

neoism

Man this sucks I 'm getting 5 days off work, and the last day this game, comes out! Why can't it release today! :(((

Also OT Wario64 I've always wondered what does your tag mean??!

Silicon Knight said:
Wow, VGP already started shipping their pre-orders, just got my 'shipped' invoice! :D

This site keeps amazing me.

My pre-order just shipped too! VGP has never failed me, it's a really good site. I just hope I get it Tuesday.

I just finished playing some coop with a friend of mine. He's a big COD guy and is reluctant to play any other game (maybe except Madden). I kept trying to convince him to play the first Uncharted but he was all about the multi. Well today I managed to get him to install the Uncharted 2 demo and he really enjoyed it, so much he made it sound like he was going to purchase it. We first started off with the Coop mode, and he got a kick out of the cover system and climbing. His words were "wow, I can get used to this. Is the entire game like this?!" I had to break the news to him ("This is just a small taste my friend"). We then played the treasure coop mode, and he was excited about the prospect of playing that mode with other people online. We then met up with another friend of mine to play some deathmatch, and I know he had a lot of fun scaling the glaciers and rope ladders in the ice level. I know I've convinced one person to pick up the retail copy, and that's only after he played the demo for two hours! Some people, like my friend, are so afraid to try out new games. Among my friends, they think all they need are two games like COD and Madden, but they don't know what they're missing out on.

KAOz

Short bus special
RurouniZel said:
*sigh* So I followed the advice and redownloaded the UC2 beta, hoping people online would be willing to help me learn how to play the game.

Instead, the spent the entire time calling me a noob fag who should just end it all. So I left the game.

This is why I hate playing games online.

Hey, add me aswell. You'll find my PSN name in my profile.

I don't care about K/D-ratio at all, so we could hook up a custom game, and we'll run around (I'll play as good as possible) and let you try to catch me until it's stuck in your spine. :p
I am quite a slippery bastard, so it can be interesting.

Don't have a mic though. =/

crunker99

just finished chapter 11 before bed tonight.. game is utterly amazing, graphics are unreal

with the orchestrated cinematic soundtrack thrown in along with the great writing and witty banter

i wish this game never ended

i could literally play it for days on end

but i love playing movies.. those who don't may not love it as much but the graphics.. again.. my god...

Okay, I've got a question for you GAF (and for those lucky bastards who have the game already)

I just finished a playthrough of the original UC (as a warmup for UC2 and to verify it working correctly with FW 3.01; worked flawlessly after I deleted my saves and data and started fresh) on Hard. I was surprised just how well I breezed through the game with little trouble.

I'm going to assume the difficulty's about the same right? (Easy, Normal, Hard, with Crushing unlocked after Hard completion) So should my first playthrough be on Hard, or do you think that would sour my first experience with the game?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wario mentioned a few days ago that if you could handle Hard in UC1 then Hard in UC2 shouldn't be an issue.

I'm probably going to play through on Hard mode to start with.

satriales

Just got this in the post from Naughty Dog/Sony:
IMAGE_052.jpg

They were giving away 1000 packs to players (in the UK only I think) who downloaded the beta.

deepbrown

satriales said:
Just got this in the post from Naughty Dog/Sony:
IMAGE_052.jpg

They were giving away 1000 packs to players (in the UK only I think) who downloaded the beta.
Haha that's so random. Sully will be sending Cigars soon.

deepbrown

Rez said:
Wario mentioned a few days ago that if you could handle Hard in UC1 then Hard in UC2 shouldn't be an issue.

I'm probably going to play through on Hard mode to start with.
No do Normal, then Hard, then Crushing. That way you get three play throughs :D

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Wario64 said:
Look at this bug I encountered in co-op (I actually found someone in matchmaking-retail...too bad he sucked, couldnt even beat co-op on easy!)
http://i34.tinypic.com/20aow95.jpg
I fell through the map and it had me hanging on an invisible ledge. Had to let go and kill myself.

Well, it's not perfect perfect. GD vindicated. ;)

Anyway, was wondering if this game has worldwide servers and that I can play with the Japanese game/console with any friends in Europe? I know this is not 2007 and stupid region locked servers, but want to make sure.

satriales

dofry said:

Anyway, was wondering if this game has worldwide servers and that I can play with the Japanese game/console with any friends in Europe? I know this is not 2007 and stupid region locked servers, but want to make sure.
I have a JPN console and had no trouble playing the beta with friends in the UK, so I don't think there should be any issues.

deepbrown

dofry said:

One bug I noticed was if you keep killing enemies and they drop on each other...the pile up can cause problems - like all the bodies explode into the air spontaneously lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Took some quick shots of the train wreck level in multiplayer...first time actually using the screen capture mode. Footsteps do appear in the snow in multiplayer

fu9mcm.jpg

jpg1zs.jpg

1zzj3g4.jpg

2d1qum1.jpg

2yydqtt.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gigglepoo said:
Pretty much. My favorite part was Real Spoiler
jumping from jeep to jeep. I was laughing with glee.
Such an awesome game.

The people watching my stream were going nuts on this part too.
My favorite part in that level was jumping to the jeep from higher ground, knocking out the grenade launcher guy, then taking possession of said grenade launcher

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
deepbrown said:
No do Normal, then Hard, then Crushing. That way you get three play throughs :D
hmm... good point :lol

I'll probably end up playing it more than three times anyway, to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom