• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just tried The
Sanctuary
Co-Op Objective Map for the first time :lol

That scenario is hilarious.
Nate
just can't catch a break :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Good god, I am on Chapter 4 of Uncharted 1 'Crushing' difficulty and am getting wiped consistenty. I am sort of relearning the game since my first playthrough on Hard was two years ago.

Any tips? I just can't seem to bead headshots without getting near death status. I swear the collision for headshots is shoddy too, so many times it looks like a bullet goes between the eyes only to miss entirely.

Really forgot how captivating the game is, still gorgeous after all this time. I imagine U2 will just be complete eyegasm.

Anyone know a place where I can import u2 to Jamaica(
stuck in this shithole for awhile
) or anywhere outside of the USA but get the U.S version?

Just started playing the demo for the first time. The first game was a disaster. 1 and 14. Since then I've been doing much better. I think I just ran into Mr Nothing in the last game I played.

mr_nothin

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Just started playing the demo for the first time. The first game was a disaster. 1 and 14. Since then I've been doing much better. I think I just ran into Mr Nothing in the last game I played.
Oh really? How did I do? I'm sucking right now pretty hard. Played KZ2 all night so I have to adjust.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm getting tired of everybody being Mr. Fantastic and Stretch Armstrong. I keep getting pulled back about 15 feet when I get melee'd and when I get my neck snapped.

well.. second day into the single player of uncharted 2 and i must say.. it is mind blowing, jaw dropping perfection. In my opinion Naughty Dog is the best dev studio ever.. EVER! to those picking it up on Tuesday i recommend taking in the surroundings after you clear each area, listen to the music in each level and the character interactions it is during that time where you realize everything goes so well together...

now with my only complaint

the official thread needs a theme for Uncharted 2! GAF members FIX THIS SHIT! :lol

10dollas

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I'm getting tired of everybody being Mr. Fantastic and Stretch Armstrong. I keep getting pulled back about 15 feet when I get melee'd and when I get my neck snapped.

no kidding. These low latency enhanced melees are becoming quite problematic. Feelings of such joy build up in me (the same type of joy that results in many of purchases of new controllers) when i hit some one near point-blank without it registering, which often results in my own death. Then just a respawn later or so, some fucker pulls off that stretch kill garbage. I'm like, why game why... Never has a game itself so blatantly bum raped me so hard since Gears of wars.

Dartastic

I'm assuming all the really awesome players have moved on to the real game, as I just got TWENTY THREE KILLS in a match online. TWENTY THREE. :D

This might seem a bit OT but it's not enought to warrant it's own thread:

ND has mentioned many times during the press tours of U: DF about being inspired by pulp adventure films and what not. Aside form the Indy movies, can anyone with movie knowledge list some movies of yore that may have been used as inspiration for the Uncharted games? It'd be great because I'm very interested in checking out movies that have the same feel as the Uncharted universe.

Thanks in advance.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MoonsaultSlayer said:

ND has mentioned many times during the press tours of U: DF about being inspired by pulp adventure films and what not. Aside form the Indy movies, can anyone with movie knowledge list some movies of yore that may have been used as inspiration for the Uncharted games? It'd be great because I'm very interested in checking out movies that have the same feel as the Uncharted universe.

Thanks in advance.
Romancing the Stone

satriales

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Thanks in advance.
They've mentioned Die Hard as another inspiration.

"He is recognizable as a regular guy. That was important for us. We wanted him to be a fallible hero - that was common as a thread in all of the pulp fiction we looked at. Our research for the original Uncharted took us all the way back to the beginnings of adventure storytelling. We looked at Robert Louis Stevenson and Robinson Crusoe. We zeroed in on early 20th century stories like Doc Savage, who was a finely honed physical specimen. That led us to heroes like Tintin. There you get more color in the characters, and more globetrotting in the stories. We looked at John Mclane from Die Hard. They're not highly physically trained, but more regular guys who fight in a sloppy way. They don't have precise Ninja powers."

neoism

Wario64 said:
explode1.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Brandon F said:
Good god, I am on Chapter 4 of Uncharted 1 'Crushing' difficulty and am getting wiped consistenty. I am sort of relearning the game since my first playthrough on Hard was two years ago.

Any tips? I just can't seem to bead headshots without getting near death status. I swear the collision for headshots is shoddy too, so many times it looks like a bullet goes between the eyes only to miss entirely.

Really forgot how captivating the game is, still gorgeous after all this time. I imagine U2 will just be complete eyegasm.
Yeah, Crushing is like an order of magnitude more difficult than Hard. One suggestions would be to try and retreat whenever you can, so that you can syphon them where it's easier to shoot them. Also, try using shotgun blindfire from cover, it's very effective. Elena gets pretty useful on crushing as she can clean up some of the trickiest enemies later on.

I've made a pretty long post with strategies for tricky places on crushing way back, which you may find useful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12479138&postcount=1403

mercenar1e said:
now with my only complaint

the official thread needs a theme for Uncharted 2! GAF members FIX THIS SHIT! :lol
Theme like the PS3 visual theme? I made one, take a look here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17931837&postcount=4643

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Killthee said:
Just tried The
Sanctuary
Co-Op Objective Map for the first time :lol

That scenario is hilarious.
Nate
just can't catch a break :lol

Good god, when I thought that map was over after a wave of enemies, it kept bringing more enemies. Just pure insanity.

PBz0r

Banned
Brandon F said:

Are you talking about this part?

PBz0r said:
It's not that bad. The only part in crushing that I almost gave up on was near the end of chapter 4, in the area where you find your plane in a tree. After getting the map and leaving the plane, I think eight pirates rush in at a time. Throughout the campaign on Crushing you're actually trying to prevent them from rushing towards you - as close-range enemies with backup will always kill you - but then there's eight at a time. And they won't stop before you kill them all (that's 16 headshots) or they kill you (2-3 hits to the body).

What I did is rush into them instead, killing them all with the blind fire + melee combo (the one you get a trophy for) before they can do anything. Took me a while to get it right, but I felt awesome after the fact.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ezekial45 said:
How do you unlock the hard difficulty anyway?

Mine was unlocked (not sure if it unlocked for you too) after we beat our first co-op objective level on normal last night. I'm assuming Crushing has to be unlocked by beating Hard.

My goal right now is to get every medal in this game. That means Crushing with 2 players only to get the "Master of the Universe" medal. I can't possibly imagined how intense that would be. I'd think I'd have a heart attack.

Gotta get cracking!

ashism

Uncharted 2: Slapstick Edition

Seriously though, watching Nathan get the living crap beat out of him via the enviroment and slips/errors cracks me up.

VegaShinra

I need some help. I'm missing something stupid here
you have to climb up to the open window after taking out two Gatling gunners and a small group of soldiers. How do you climb up there?

Magnus

I'm on Chapter
with friends, and we just completed/watched the
Jeep jumping/mounted grenade launcher sequence

All that all of us could say the whole time was "holy fuck" and "oh my god". This game is a thrilling, visual miracle. How in the world could anyone rate this any less than perfection or 10/10 on visuals? How? This is unmatched.

The sequence in
the Tibetan village, with the tank chasing you and mowing shit down, blasting every wall and house in sight...
Are you fucking kidding me? This shit is brilliant!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ashism said:
Uncharted 2: Slapstick Edition

Seriously though, watching Nathan get the living crap beat out of him via the enviroment and slips/errors cracks me up.

You should see the test video that you can unlock via the single player store. I think the tentative title of the game was something like "Uncharted 2: Something Awesome and ***"

I forgot the exact title of it but I thought it was funny.

Magnus said:
I'm on Chapter
with friends, and we just completed/watched the
Jeep jumping/mounted grenade launcher sequence

All that all of us could say the whole time was "holy fuck" and "oh my god". This game is a thrilling, visual miracle. How in the world could anyone rate this any less than perfection or 10/10 on visuals? How? This is unmatched.

If that part was a movie, everyone in a movie theater would be cheering for that scene. I'd think it would be as awesome as Harrison Ford saying "Get off my plane" in Air Force One

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PBz0r said:
Are you talking about this part?

Yea, that plane section was giving me troubles but I did it on my own. I found that NOT relying on cover was the way to victory. Just get into aiming mode and strafe near a pillar, keeping the reticle always on screen. This way you can sort of snipe enemies from safety whereas using cover always exposes the hell out of you when you pop out to shoot. I tried blindfire briefly but it is so inaccurate and useless.

Really looking forward to the sequel next week.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wario64 said:
MGS4 80GB bundle.

Here's some screenshots of the MP skin you unlock with platinum trophy. These aren't spoilers but since people were touchy last time, I'll just link only. I think people thought my skin was a bug since people were hesitant to shoot me, that or they were going 'wtf'
Ehhh... I have just seen some of these screens as they were linked above without your spoiler warning, and I too thought it was some bug at first -_-
So you confirm this is not a single player spoiler of some kind, right...?

VegaShinra

Wario64 said:
You should see the test video that you can unlock via the single player store. I think the tentative title of the game was something like "Uncharted 2: Something Awesome and ***"

I forgot the exact title of it but I thought it was funny.
Something Awesome and Cool. But, yeah, it was pretty funny to watch.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Lord Error said:
Ehhh... I have just seen some of these screens as they were linked above without your spoiler warning, and I too thought it was some bug at first -_-
So you confirm this is not a single player spoiler of some kind, right...?

It isn't a spoiler, it's just a fun bonus reward for people going the extra mile in achieving a platinum trophy

Gribbix

VegaShinra said:
I need some help. I'm missing something stupid here
you have to climb up to the open window after taking out two Gatling gunners and a small group of soldiers. How do you climb up there?

Climb the ladder to reach the top of the right side of the room. While you're up there, look to your right. There should be some bricks sticking out that you can grab onto. Then jump to the other side from there. Once you're on the other side of the gap, reaching the window shouldn't be a problem.

satriales said:
They've mentioned Die Hard as another inspiration.

"He is recognizable as a regular guy. That was important for us. We wanted him to be a fallible hero - that was common as a thread in all of the pulp fiction we looked at. Our research for the original Uncharted took us all the way back to the beginnings of adventure storytelling. We looked at Robert Louis Stevenson and Robinson Crusoe. We zeroed in on early 20th century stories like Doc Savage, who was a finely honed physical specimen. That led us to heroes like Tintin. There you get more color in the characters, and more globetrotting in the stories. We looked at John Mclane from Die Hard. They're not highly physically trained, but more regular guys who fight in a sloppy way. They don't have precise Ninja powers."

Thank you.

Yeah, I've seen Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile and they are very Uncharted like. I was more looking for older/lesser known stuff.

Never pictured Die Hard, but in an urban/city setting, yeah.. very much lol.

VegaShinra

Gribbix said:
Climb the ladder to reach the top of the right side of the room. While you're up there, look to your right. There should be some bricks sticking out that you can grab onto. Then jump to the other side from there. Once you're on the other side of the gap, reaching the window shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Brandon F said:
I tried blindfire briefly but it is so inaccurate and useless.
I think you'll find blindfire shotgun extremely useful. I know it saved my ass numerous time on that last church fight on chrushing.

Also, yeah, strafing in and out of cover like what you did can be helpful in some places.

Wario64 said:
It isn't a spoiler, it's just a fun bonus reward for people going the extra mile in achieving a platinum trophy
Phew, thanks. So this too is like a doughnut drake kind of thing I guess.

Brandon F said:
Yea, that plane section was giving me troubles but I did it on my own. I found that NOT relying on cover was the way to victory. Just get into aiming mode and strafe near a pillar, keeping the reticle always on screen. This way you can sort of snipe enemies from safety whereas using cover always exposes the hell out of you when you pop out to shoot. I tried blindfire briefly but it is so inaccurate and useless.

Really looking forward to the sequel next week.

FUCK! Reading your post after reading the couple above yours talking about Harrison Ford in Air Force One and a theatre audience cheering if it were a movie filled me with rage when reading the "Yea, that plane section was giving me troubles..." part. My heart almost exploded until I went ahead and read the rest and realized "Oh... ok. he's talking about Uncharted 1" LMAO!!! I didn't want to know about any section in the game including an action packed airplane sequence haha.

Anyway. those of you who have played... don't tell me yes or no.... please.

This is the first time I ever noticed my PS3's fan kick into over drive. I've been playing for about 3 and half hours which might be longer than I ever played it in a single non stop session. I hope this isn't a bad sign.

Spike

The aiming issue is as follows:

Because U2 isn't first person, the difference in position between the camera and the gun barrel means if we always shot the bullets from the gun you would often not be able to hit what you are aiming at. (Note that this is true even at very long range, so we can't just ignore it unless we're close to a wall. Also note that Gears does the same thing. Any online TPS will. MGS solves this problem by having a double reticle appear, but that can be confusing and frustrating at times.)

This can be a problem though, because we don't people to be able to hit someone if that person can't see them. So we do raycasts to check if you are very close to a wall in multiplayer, and if the gun trajectory would intersect from the barrel, we shoot from a barrel if within a certain distance.

We do an additional check though, to see if the reticle is over a player, if that is the case, *and* there is line of sight to the player from the gun barrel, we shoot from the camera anyway.

The bug you are noticing in the video, therefore, only happens if the reticle is *not* over another player. So although it looks like it's broken when testing aiming at walls, it reality it works perfectly whenever you aim at another player, except in the case where you are hitting someone who *cannot* see you.

Therefore, the issue you are seeing has no practical effect in game.

I hope that makes sense. Just wanted to clear this up.

Travis McIntosh
Lead Programmer
Naughty Dog Inc.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1345955&postcount=1489

no.. i checked my code and the golden guns do not work.. and btw i have 2 Navarro multiplayer skins.. i want to trade it for something redeemable on the PSN anyone have anything useful =p and no.. no freebie srry lol

Question for those that have the game:

Has it frozen your console?

It's frozen on me a total of 3 times. Two times in the same spot on separate playthroughs (late in the game spoiler:
Near the end of Chapter 25, after the big battle royale between the Mercs and the Guardians, after I dispatch the final Guardian.
), and another seemingly random one - can't even remember where exactly, at the moment. Either way, both times the game autosaved and I got to continue right where I left off, so it's not all THAT bad, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issues.

It's like Uncharted 1 and that damn freeze all over again.

Gribbix

Revolutionary said:
Question for those that have the game:

Has it frozen your console?

It's frozen on me a total of 3 times. Two times in the same spot on separate playthroughs (late in the game spoiler:
Near the end of Chapter 25, after the big battle royale between the Mercs and the Guardians, after I dispatch the final Guardian.
), and another seemingly random one - can't even remember where exactly, at the moment. Either way, both times the game autosaved and I got to continue right where I left off, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issue.

It's like Uncharted 1 and that damn freeze all over again.

It froze on me once at that exact same spot.
Shortly after clearing the guardians vs. mercs room. I was trying to pick up ammo once all the enemies were dead and then it froze.
It only froze my second time through the game while doing a run on Crushing. It didn't freeze during my first playthrough on Hard. On a side note, that room had some pretty great music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom