• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Gribbix said:
It froze on me once at that exact same spot.
Shortly after clearing the guardians vs. mercs room. I was trying to pick up ammo once all the enemies were dead and then it froze.
It only froze my second time through the game while doing a run on Crushing. It didn't freeze on my first go on Hard.
Same here, same spot.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Wow. Finished the campaign tonight. One of the greatest games ever made. Absolute genius. The most complete videogame package ever.

PS- I don't work for NG, and I'm not a journalist.

Zeenbor

Just got the game... Simply incredible!!!!!! Best game of this generation (so far), IMO.

Movie-like pacing, amazing graphics, great voice acting, and surprisingly good multiplayer.

On a bit of a downside is the ammo pickup system where you have to press Triangle. Why the fuck should I press a separate button to pick up ammo for a gun I already have? It should automatically add to my inventory. I have been in situations where another gun was next to a gun I already had and when I thought I was gonna pick up some ammo, I swapped guns. It's pretty god damn annoying.

Esperado

Awntawn said:
Wait, something I don't get. They don't want you to be able to shoot straight at someone if they can't see you for some reason or other?

Yeah, they don't want the situation where Player A has positioned himself in such a way that he can shoot at Player B from behind an object so that Player B has no idea where Player A is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zeenbor said:
Just got the game... Simply incredible!!!!!! Best game of this generation (so far), IMO.

Movie-like pacing, amazing graphics, great voice acting, and surprisingly good multiplayer.

On a bit of a downside is the ammo pickup system where you have to press Triangle. Why the fuck should I press a separate button to pick up ammo for a gun I already have? It should automatically add to my inventory. I have been in situations where another gun was next to a gun I already had and when I thought I was gonna pick up some ammo, I swapped guns. It's pretty god damn annoying.

I know exactly what you mean! I just played through the first game and I absolutely hated having to press triangle to pick up ammo and accidentally picking up a different weapon in the heat of battle.

I can't believe they didn't fix / change this in the sequel.

Anyway, I just went and preordered the game to picked up on the 15th now.

challen

I have a silly question. I am having trouble with the steel fist expert trophy. Is there an easy way to do it? For example, how would a steel fist finish be done with a armored shotgunner?

VegaShinra

Just beat the game. An amazing experience. Time for a Crushing time and then a quick run to get the remaining treasures I missed.

Atrus

Gold Member
Automatic ammo pickup would have to factor in that extra ammo should be left behind. If that weren't the case, a system like that in the original Drakes fortune would have you constantly pickup ammo for 1 or 2 bullets.

For instance, would you pick up ammo for a Wes? Or would you simply switch to another handgun and pick up the second Wes for a lot more ammo?

Additionally, since ammo pickup has it's own animation unless you're rolling over it and pressing triangle, it's potentially going to get you killed, especially on Crushing where a stray bullet or two means game over.

Gribbix

challen said:
I have a silly question. I am having trouble with the steel fist expert trophy. Is there an easy way to do it? For example, how would a steel fist finish be done with a armored shotgunner?
I think the easiest place to do this is the beginning of chapter 6 on very easy. When you shoot, don't aim using L1. All you have to do is blind fire with R1 and follow up with a punch. As for armored shotgunners, I wouldn't advise doing it against them.

Awntawn

Esperado said:
Yeah, they don't want the situation where Player A has positioned himself in such a way that he can shoot at Player B from behind an object so that Player B has no idea where Player A is.
Oh I get it, so they can't exploit the "shoot from camera" distance and kill without exposing themselves?

Killthee

Gribbix said:
I think the easiest place to do this is the beginning of chapter 6 on very easy. When you shoot, don't aim using L1. All you have to do is blind fire with R1 and follow up with a punch. As for armored shotgunners, I wouldn't advise doing it against them.
I <3 Chapter 6. I got a good chunk of the weapon trophies on that one section.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Spike said:

I get the logic behind this all, but I still don't get why it's happening in that video. I mean, all this barrel-reticule switching applies to situations where the player is shooting from behind a cover right? But that's not the case in the video.

Someone explain me please. Not that I'm bothered with this at all since I've never experienced any issue during my MP time. Just curious about the inner workings.

Killthee

DevelopmentArrested said:
So people who beat it.. did you start on Hard first time through or Normal?
Hard. If you've beaten Drake's Fortune in Hard, Among Thieves Hard should be a piece of cake.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gribbix said:

I got my steel fist expert trophy on Chapter 4, very easy. There are so many non-armored enemies in that area that it's very easy to do without having to risk accidentally double-melee'ing an armored enemy.

Also I did my weapon trophies on this stage too. Just restart checkpoint right before it hits the next checkpoint in that area and you're golden.

Ch6 is good but you have potentially a RPG and shield dude to take out

Btw, for steel fist to register, you have to shoot the enemy and melee attack immediately. I think if there is a little gap in between the shot and melee, it won't register. At least for me. You can check to see if it registers by checking the statistics screen.

TTP said:
Someone explain me please. Not that I'm bothered with this at all since I've never experienced any issue during my MP time. Just curious about the inner workings.
I was unable to recreate what they were doing, but just realized potentially why.

Friendly fire. They are on the same team, so maybe there is something going on that attempts to lower the amount of bullets a friend might peg into you. Not sure other than that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Are the multiplayer stats resetting on Tuesday for people who got the game early? I wasn't sure if they meant stats are resetting for beta -> retail people or if they were resetting stats altogether no matter what

If they're resetting, I hope it doesn't affect the stuff I already bought. I dropped so much money on co-op upgrades.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
xenorevlis said:
I was unable to recreate what they were doing, but just realized potentially why.

Friendly fire. They are on the same team, so maybe there is something going on that attempts to lower the amount of bullets a friend might peg into you. Not sure other than that.

Or perhaps friendlies are considered "moving covers".

Awntawn

TTP said:
Or perhaps friendlies are considered "moving covers".
Ah yeah basically at a certain distance they change from shooting from the barrel to shooting from the camera to allow you to hit enemies from close range, so when an enemy gets too close it triggers the switch for how it calculates the shots, it probably just doesn't trigger with friendlies because you're not supposed to be aiming for them anyway.

Denzar

My god. I haven't looked forward to a game like this since GTA San Andreas on the PS2.

I pre-ordered (in Europe here) but the wait wil be very long, and very excruciating, even if it's just a couple of measly days.

Feindflug

I started the game yesterday and played for almost 6 hrs straight (I'm in chapter 18) till my eyes were closing.

The game flows really well and the story telling/cut-scenes/characters are top-notch as is the variety of the environments and of course the graphics - ND's graphics engine is absolutely unbelievable, the colors, the texture quality, the amazing particle effects, the lighting, the characters, the game made my jaw drop many times and I've played all the best-looking games on the consoles - I still can't believe how the hell they could pull this off with the current-gen hardware...not to mention the great combination of platforming and action/gunplay which is better than the first game especially with things like getting in cover much easier/blindfiring and the Assasin's Creed like additions to the platforming..and all that with so much content on the disc.

I'm still wondering how the could pull this off in roughly 2 years...anyway congratulations to Naughty Dog for giving us this amazing piece of software. :D

KAOz

Short bus special
highluxury said:
How the FUCK have people beaten the game already!?!?

Fucking last-place-Europe.

Because US sucks with holding releases as always.

Our retailers at least keep to the proper release dates. The game isn't even released until next week (Monday, Tuesday?) in the US.
BAH!

Hopefully my GAME preorder will ship tomorrow though, so I will have it on Tuesday. Collectors Edition for the win.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
neojubei said:
I'm actually getting better in the multiplayer beta, SWEET!
same.

I've been placed in a few matches with some other Aussies, too, which means that there was hardly any lag. Good times.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Rez said:
same.

I've been placed in a few matches with some other Aussies, too, which means that there was hardly any lag. Good times.

Yeah I love that there isn't no lag whatsoever.

Revolutionary said:
Question for those that have the game:

Has it frozen your console?

It's frozen on me a total of 3 times. Two times in the same spot on separate playthroughs (late in the game spoiler:
Near the end of Chapter 25, after the big battle royale between the Mercs and the Guardians, after I dispatch the final Guardian.
), and another seemingly random one - can't even remember where exactly, at the moment. Either way, both times the game autosaved and I got to continue right where I left off, so it's not all THAT bad, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issues.

It's like Uncharted 1 and that damn freeze all over again.
I had one hard freeze in my play through, it was on the train.

No_Style

KAOz said:
Because US sucks with holding releases as always.

U.S breaks release dates. Europe breaks embargoes. :lol

I checked out that Beyond3D thread. Some fascinating stuff. I believe I encountered the shooting bug, but chalked it up to lag and simply rolled in for the melee attack. I hope it is something ND can fix quickly if it is really a bug.

MNC

Also, Uncharted 2 is so good. It kind of feels there is something missing, but the entire game is just nice. You've got good animations, nice gameplay, cinematic telling, great graphics, I don't know, I think it's because I've played Uncharted 2 demo too much :lol Need to finish 1 before I buy 2.
I'm at the jet ski section... Kind of tedious and I loved the jeep so much more!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I find normal in 1 perfectly challenging.

LaneDS

Is it Tuesday yet?

Had the best night of MP since the beta started last night... our party of four were playing plunder against another group, and winning 4-0, but these guys were actually having fun and not dropping n-bombs or questioning our sexuality (the other fun one is people giving me shit for being rank 46 in beta), so the remaining few minutes of the match consisted of us trying to run the treasure (which they decided was the Stanley Cup) to the opposing team's capture point. Stupid, yeah, but amazingly fun, both sides were nearly in tears, and it was the highlight of many weeks of Uncharted 2.

Really excited for the game to get mass released, as I plan on playing the game for months for similar moments.

BeeDog

Am I missing something? When clicking on De-mon's pic, it just hops to a 900×506 version of it, not 1080p. Regardless, fucking beautiful wallpaper man!

BeeDog said:
Am I missing something? When clicking on De-mon's pic, it just hops to a 900×506 version of it, not 1080p. Regardless, fucking beautiful wallpaper man!

Click on Download (it's on the left hand side).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom