• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyonaz said:
Interview was nice, the use of machinima was a nice touch.

Man I need this game! I'm free on wednesday, so my local gameshop better have the game on tuesday or wednesday. :D

Speaking of which... Under unexplainable cicumstances I will be struck by a very high fever on the Friday the 16th making my condition unfit for work. Will have to call in sick that day.

*cough*... I can already feel its under way. ;D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For those that have finished the game, about how long did it take? I'm leaving on a trip Thursday and I hopefully will be able to finish it before I leave.

Blader

RoboPlato said:
For those that have finished the game, about how long did it take? I'm leaving on a trip Thursday and I hopefully will be able to finish it before I leave.
Wario said a while back that it took him 9 hours.

Shinjiru

RoboPlato said:

My play time is around the 8 hour mark and I am currently a little over half way through. I have been taking my time, though, taking in the visuals and searching for treasure.

Just finished the game WOW. The game was pretty flawless for me. Graphics were ace easily one of the best looking games out there. The camera was fine for me no problems there. I thought the melee was a bit too easy but i only played on normal so far. But when its all said and done its easily one of the top PS3 games to own and the perfect action adventure game.

Now its time for some trophies.:D
I did horrible with the treasure 22 out 100 first playthrough. I just couldn't find those fuckers. Now a quick question about the store.
Will those unlockable cheats affect getting trophies? I bought infinite ammo and 1 shot kills which will come in handy for my crushing playthrough

Killing_Joke said:
Just finished the game WOW. The game was pretty flawless for me. Graphics were ace easily one of the best looking games out there. The camera was fine for me no problems there. I thought the melee was a bit too easy but i only played on normal so far. But when its all said and done its easily one of the top PS3 games to own and the perfect action adventure game.

I did horrible with the treasure 22 out 100 first playthrough. I just couldn't find those fuckers. Now a quick question about the store.
Will those unlockable cheats affect getting trophies? I bought infinite ammo and 1 shot kills which will come in handy for my crushing playthrough
I'm pretty sure cheats will negate trophies.

Toki767

BobTheFork said:
I'm pretty sure cheats will negate trophies.
Cheats will not negate trophies. Although, I only started using the infinite ammo/one shot kill/weapons cheat after I beat the game on Crushing. I'd say if you're going for the Crushing trophy, you probably can't use any cheats. If you're going for weapon kills and stuff, it's fine.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Killing_Joke said:

You can use cheats to get trophies, but I believe you can only use the weapon cheats in difficulties you've already completed. Since you completed it in Normal I think you can only use them in Normal, Easy, & Very Easy. Cheats like Fast Motion and Skins should work in your Crushing run through even though you haven't finished it yet.

As for treasures,
look at the sky/ceilings in all the stages (you have to shoot some treasures to the ground before you can pick them up), far off places that look reachable usually have a treasure in them, see if any of the monuments/statues have any glowing treasures you can shoot down/climb to, platforms and ledges that seem like dead ends usually have a treasure, look around in the places you can swing (there's one treasure you can only reach by swinging to it), don't skip over any section (the train chapter has a bunch of treasures you can miss by not exploring the inside and outside every cart), and use the chapter select screen to see how many treasures your missing in a chapter.

yurinka

A friend who works in a retailer told me the game will be in the Spanish stores this Tuesday. So, even the oficial release day is Thursday...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone pick up the Official playstation magazine? There is an Uncharted 2 poster in there and I think there is an alternative poster in different copies of the magazine. I'm hoping the strategy guide has a poster in it.

Killthee said:
You can use cheats to get trophies, but I believe you can only use the weapon cheats in difficulties you've already completed. Since you completed it in Normal I think you can only use them in Normal, Easy, & Very Easy. Cheats like Fast Motion and Skins should work in your Crushing run through even though you haven't finished it yet.

As for treasures,
look at the sky/ceilings in all the stages (you have to shoot some treasures to the ground before you can pick them up), far off places that look like you should be able to reach usually have a treasure in them, see if any of the monuments/statues have any glowing treasures you can shoot down/climb to, platforms and ledges that seem like dead ends usually have a treasure, and look around in the places you can swing (there's one treasure you can only reach by swinging to it).

Thanks guys. How does fast/slow motion work? Do you think it help beating hard/crushing easier? There really isn't a lot of hard parts but there are a few annoying spots i fear on a harder level.

calder

Nice video review (could have done without the guy-talking-as-drake conceit) but I had to turn it off. Probably no real spoilers, but I want as much as possible to be a surprise, including locations.

IT'S SO CLOSE ARRRGHGH.

I'm most likely going to play this a bunch of times, so im going to start on normal first. I usually do normal so i can enjoy the game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
calder said:
Nice video review (could have done without the guy-talking-as-drake conceit) but I had to turn it off. Probably no real spoilers, but I want as much as possible to be a surprise, including locations.

IT'S SO CLOSE ARRRGHGH.

I know how you feel. I have the coundown widget on my laptop.

mr_nothin

Banned
Just went up against a team of baiters and exploiters. They stuck together and hid the whole time and all popped up from each direction. There was also this guy that kept jump shotgunning everybody even from mid/long range and it killed somebody everytime. The mid-air auto-aim is busted. Needs fixing, especially for the shotgun.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Killing_Joke said:
Thanks guys. How does fast/slow motion work? Do you think it help beating hard/crushing easier? There really isn't a lot of hard parts but there are a few annoying spots i fear on a harder level.
It's exactly what it sounds like, everything moves at a faster/slower pace. Fast Motion helped me a lot with the slow platforming bits during my Treasure hunts.

Magnus

I just experienced a freeze in the exact same spot the others mentioned.

Guardian vs Mercs room, post-battle

Glad I'm not alone.

Oh my god, this freeze!!!

I just found my final treasure, and as the "Master Fortune Hunter" medal came up, bam.... frozen. I heard the trophy chime afterwards as well, but I couldn't actually see the notification.

I'll cry if I don't have the trophy upon restart.

EDIT: Oh thank god. It even gave me the Platinum I earned.... but I didn't get to see the notification. :(
Uncharted 2 cockblocked my Platinum notification. :lol

They really have to fix that shit. Scared the hell outta me.

hatchx

Banned
Just poppin' in the official thread to show support.

I've been very good about avoiding spoilers on this game.

The first Uncharted was what tipped me over the fence to buy a PS3 and I havn't looked back.

I plan to walk into a store on Tuesday and pick it up. I really hope I don't have any problems.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DevelopmentArrested said:
Beat the first 3 chapters and yup Normal is too easy.
Can you keep us posted about difficulty on Normal as you progress further through the game? Assuming you're someone who's been playing through the first game on hard or crushing. I haven't decided yet whether I should be playing on normal or hard first. I don't want the game to be a total walk in the park, but I don't want to get stuck in some places and have to retry them ten times over either.

Im a PS3 slim owner and i have been playing uncharted 2 for a few days now.. beat the single player portion and it did not freeze during any part of the game.

you guys must read the in game journal, it is hilarious.

Sully needs more lines.. def a disappointment that he is only in the beginning chapters

Magnus

Lord Error said:
Can you keep us posted about difficulty on Normal as you progress further through the game? Assuming you're someone who's been playing through the first game on hard or crushing. I haven't decided yet whether I should be playing on normal or hard first. I don't want the game to be a total walk in the park, but I don't want to get stuck in some places and have to retry them ten times over either.

I don't play shooters religiously online. I'm just average, and I found Normal to be just fine. There were still a couple of ridiculous segments that I had to try 5-10 times over
the tipped over cart just before Elena picks you up to head to the train, for one
. Melee combat is never, ever difficult on normal, and even on hard I haven't "lost" a bout.

A seasoned shooter gamer should probably jump in at Hard.

Hey, also, it appears you can flip the difficulty at any time you choose. It either resets the game to the last checkpoint you cleared, or takes effect at the next checkpoint, I forget. What does this do for the purpose of trophies/in-game bonuses? If I beat just the last chapter on Crushing, does that qualify as a Crushing clear?

Also, just beat the game, and I must say again, one of the most memorable and unbelievably awesome single-player experiences in a game of all time. Really stunning stuff, in no small part to the visuals, but the soundtrack and the excellent voice acting and chatting between characters really made the game come alive. Fun gameplay never hurts either. :)

Outstanding.

The soundtrack in particular is mostly forgettable 'epic blockbuster movie' stuff at the start, but by the halfway point it really starts to develop through a few signature pieces tied to a few specific locales. It's quite rich by the end.

Two questions for those who've played both Uncharted 1 and 2 all the way through now:

1. Is it worth playing the first Uncharted if I haven't yet? I dig the back-and-forth between the characters enough to want to see the first adventure they're in, but if the game will feel like a giant backward step in terms of gameplay, I'm not sure I should bother with so much else to play at the moment.

2. In the ending,
who is the "he" Elena refers to? I was thinking Flynn at first, but then I guessed it was probably Nate's father, who was probably discussed in the first game?

Thanks.

Loudninja

Examiner Uncharted 2 review 10/10
Everything found in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is gold. The game took 11 hours to complete on hard with only half of the treasures collected, but with a harder difficulty unlocked and 101 treasure to collect, the single-player can be played several times, nevermind the awesome multiplayer. The game is just very, very, very good. The story, gameplay, graphics, and presentation surpass all previous efforts made by developers. Uncharted 2 may change your expectations for future games because Naughty Dog has raised the bar for future releases. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves isn’t only one of the best games released in 2009 or the generation, it’s one of the best games of all-time.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...9m10d11-Uncharted-2-Among-the-best-of-alltime

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Magnus said:
Hey, also, it appears you can flip the difficulty at any time you choose. It either resets the game to the last checkpoint you cleared, or takes effect at the next checkpoint, I forget. What does this do for the purpose of trophies/in-game bonuses? If I beat just the last chapter on Crushing, does that qualify as a Crushing clear?
If it's like the first Uncharted it'll give you the trophy for clearing it on the lowest difficulty that you switched to. Say if you were playing on hard and dropped it to normal then you would get the normal trophy at the end.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So anyone agree, best part of the game was
walking through the village with Tanzin. Imagine what a next gen Shenmue would be like with those graphics

The opening sequence is STUNNING. I only played about 45 minutes but it's amazing so far. Abso-fucking-lutely cannot wait to play more.

PS - Why does Chloe have a tranny voice?

beast786

Revolutionary said:
Oh my god, this freeze!!!

I just found my final treasure, and as the "Master Fortune Hunter" medal came up, bam.... frozen. I heard the trophy chime afterwards as well, but I couldn't actually see the notification.

I'll cry if I don't have the trophy upon restart.

EDIT: Oh thank god. It even gave me the Platinum I earned.... but I didn't get to see the notification. :(
Uncharted 2 cockblocked my Platinum notification. :lol

They really have to fix that shit. Scared the hell outta me.

Wow you got all the treasures from chapter 23 through 26. I envy you sir. Congrats on your platnium.

Rikyfree

whatdidyousay said:
The opening sequence is STUNNING. I only played about 45 minutes but it's amazing so far. Abso-fucking-lutely cannot wait to play more.

PS - Why does Chloe have a tranny voice?
She doesn't. And screw you, pal. She's an angel! :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I had to work today knowing that both Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend were in the drawers just waiting to be played... =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom