• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
If this game doesn't sell well, I'm just going to assume the majority of PS3 owners are stupid. PS3 exclusive sales have been rather strange in the past, hopefully U2 breaks this trend, and coupled with the new price point actually does some strong numbers. I don't mean GTA IV/Halo numbers, but if it doesn't do a 700k to a mil in NA alone the first month it'd be a shame. Because everyone knows ND deserve it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RoadHazard said:
Why would you notice a difference...? Sending PCM to your receiver just means that the PS3 "unpacks" the DTS stream before sending it, while sending DTS means that it sends it as it is and lets your receiver do the "unpacking". So they are really equally compressed, it's just that the decompressing happens at different points. Most people shouldn't notice any audible quality difference.

(Unless I'm completely mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.)
That's not how it goes for games. PCM output would mean the audio would never be compressed into DTS to begin with. You would be getting sound exactly as created by game's realtime audio mixer. There wouldn't be an extra DTS compression/decompression step after that. so there would be a quality increase because of that.

What you're saying would be true for a movie where the audio track is recorded as DTS that PS3 would be decoding and sending as PCM to receiver.

nib95 said:
If this game doesn't sell well, I'm just going to assume the majority of PS3 owners are stupid. PS3 exclusive sales have been rather strange in the past, hopefully U2 breaks this trend, and coupled with the new price point actually does some strong numbers. I don't mean GTA IV/Halo numbers, but if it doesn't do a 700k to a mil in NA alone the first month it'd be a shame. Because everyone knows ND deserve it.
Well, it's been #1 seller on amazon for almost a week now and in top five for even longer. I don't know how representative that is for other retailers, but it can't hurt, and I'm pretty sure the first game wasn't anywhere near there.

Firewire

Banned
Apparently the game has already dropped in price! Got it for $59.99 here in Canada at EB Games, usually new games go for $69.99. Sweet, thanks Naughty Gods & Sony!

Flib

Host Samurai said:
I am too lazy to go through the thread to look for an answer to my question. Too the people that have the game, can you confirm Boss battles? and not just 1 or 2 boss.

I love my boss battles :D

It's not really a boss battle type game...there are climactic battles and set pieces which I guess could sort of be thought of that way, but for the most part there aren't bosses per say.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Firewire said:
Apparently the game has already dropped in price! Got it for $59.99 here in Canada at EB Games, usually new games go for $69.99. Sweet, thanks Naughty Gods & Sony!
I've noticed the prices in Canada are being adjusted every once in a while as the dollar goes up and down, but not all publishers do it at the same time. For the longest time, most games in Canada were $60, then for some time they increased it to $70. US and Canadian dollar are really close again now (1 : 1.03). It would make no sense for games to be that much more expensive here anymore.

In any case, UC2 is $60 in Best Buy, Future Shop and EB Games also.

Firewire said:
you didn't....damn you just did.

Barrellama defense force assemble! :lol
Way ahead of you!

Been playing this since midnight, almost made it to the end. However the game froze right when
he finds the secret entrance
. Hell of a game though. Tried to tell myself to play just one more chapter and get some sleep, but I couldn't put it down :lol

Firewire

Banned
Lord Error said:
I've noticed the prices in Canada are being adjusted every once in a while as the dollar goes up and down, but not all publishers do it at the same time. For the longest time, all games in canada were $60, then for some time they increased it to $70. US and Canadian dollar are really close now again. It would make no sense for games to be that much more expensive here anymore.

In any case, UC2 is $60 in best buy, future shop and ebgames also.

Yeah the see-saw on game prices pisses me off though. Just make them $59.99 and be done with it. Hell I would have grabbed Demon Souls today if it was 59 instead of 69.

Dynamic3

They have a pretty sweet deal at BB, if you get U2, you can get the official Sony headset for only $22.

I was going to wait and get this once I set up my new sound system but this is a pretty good deal.

Prezhulio

oh shit yes, ups left it at my door!! wooohoooo got to think of a way to get out work early now.

either way tonight-uncharted2!!!!!!!

Dynamic3 said:
They have a pretty sweet deal at BB, if you get U2, you can get the official Sony headset for only $22.

I was going to wait and get this once I set up my new sound system but this is a pretty good deal.

Really? I have mine pre ordered there.. will be picking up later today. Is this good in store?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just sold the Revenge booster code for $10 on ebay...people are actually paying good money for it...

Also, 1562 people playing online right now

Dynamic3

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Really? I have mine pre ordered there.. will be picking up later today. Is this good in store?

Well I did it online and selected in-store pick-up. You could always call first ;). If not you could just cancel/return your preorder and order online.

RS4-

Hmmm, am I supposed to beat SP first in U2 just to get the extra money for having the completed save file from U1?

Firewire said:
for shame.
Nah, I don't have a large entertainment budget so $60 is really expensive.
The game will be beat rather quickly on my first playthrough and I'll have fun with the multiplayer for several days after that. It will be an excellent rental. But I'll purchase it for a Platinum Trophy after a price drop.

klee123

nib95 said:

MW2 and Assassin's creed II will outsell U2 tho. PS3 owners tend to buy multiplatform games more.

Gribbix

RS4- said:
Hmmm, am I supposed to beat SP first in U2 just to get the extra money for having the completed save file from U1?
I don't believe so. When you're in the bonus store, press the square button to have the game check for your Drake's Fortune save.

LCfiner

I'm leaving work early today to pick this sucker up. I really enjoyed the first one even when cursing how pirates in ragged t-shirts could absorb so many pistol rounds.

this one fixes that particular gripe and ups the presentation and action setpieces to even greater heights.

I feel giddy just thinking about this one. :lol

TeTr1C

I got to the fifth chapter last night, and let me just say, this game is unbelievable. The beginning had me almost pissing myself.

Nothing has come this close as far as presentation. It's the best looking, most polished game I've ever played without a doubt.

The combat sections so far have been extremely fun and varied. It seems like even more so than the first game that these sections can be done in many ways. I'm really enjoying the death animations on enemies. It's like I haven't seen the same death twice yet.

Can't wait to play a few more hours of it today, and then hit up multiplayer with some friends.

Naughty Dog deserves tons and tons of sales on this. IMO there's not one thing so far in UC2 that needs to be changed, or doesn't fit with the rest.

Just from playing it for a couple hours, it has achieved GOTY status for me. Everyone that's on the fence about buying it or just renting it, please please please just purchase it.

This is something that every PS3 owner deserves to own.

Character/reference spoiler (I'm on chapter 13 or 14):

Tenzin just HAS to be a reference to Tenzing Norgay, right? He's the guy that guided Sir Edmund Hillary up Everest. Searched the thread, didn't see anyone mention it.

Xtyle

Ok
Serious question: why don't other games look this good?

Because they are not made by Naughty God

I play Crysis on max setting and although it looks good but it is more like a big size big brush stroke painting, whereas Uncharted is like a smaller size painting that has very careful and detailed rendering.

ElyrionX

Played the opening sequence and watched the opening movie. Chloe looks like some strange plastic doll transplanted into the game. It's weird because Nathan and whatshisname both look so real but Chloe's face just doesn't seem to animate/emote/whatever as well. It just made that whole opening cutscene quite jarring. Anyone else feel the same way?

Other than that, the opening sequence was really fantastic. This is what all games that claim to be "cinematic" should aspire to.

I tried some multiplayer deathmatch as well. I'm not impressed but it certainly turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

Xtyle

ElyrionX said:
Played the opening sequence and watched the opening movie. Chloe looks like some strange plastic doll transplanted into the game. It's weird because Nathan and whatshisname both look so real but Chloe's face just doesn't seem to animate/emote/whatever as well. It just made that whole opening cutscene quite jarring. Anyone else feel the same way?

Other than that, the opening sequence was really fantastic. This is what all games that claim to be "cinematic" should aspire to.

I felt that too. Although some scenes make her model look better..I prefer the Elena model

Psykotik

damn it, i'm having some pretty major issues with the game freezing during loading screens (the spinning dagger) and during cutscenes.

the music starts to skip and during the transition from cutscene to gameplay, it just freezes and i have to do a hard reset.

i've even had it freeze once or twice during gameplay.

sometimes it just freezes on the loading screen and the music just keeps skipping.

i'm playing on a PS3 slim.

haven't had any problems like this with other games.

either i have a bad disc (i have a suspicion that the game is somehow struggling to keep up with the amount of data being streamed off the disc, probably because of it being bad maybe?) or the game is, god forbid, a bit buggy with regards to loading data.

Psykotik said:
damn it, i'm having some pretty major issues with the game freezing during loading screens (the spinning dagger) and during cutscenes.

the music starts to skip and during the transition from cutscene to gameplay, it just freezes and i have to do a hard reset.

sometimes it just freezes on the loading screen and the music just keeps skipping.

either i have a bad disc (i have a suspicion that the game is somehow struggling to keep up with the amount of data being streamed off the disc, probably because of it being bad maybe?) or the game is, god forbid, a bit buggy with regards to loading data.
Just a shot in the dark, have you upgraded to FW 3.01? It's optional and does not prompt you to upgrade. You have to actually check for a System Update.

Lince

Banned
Psykotik said:

are you on 3.01 ? I'd say it's a bad disc since the engine relies a lot on streaming data from it.

Any thoughts on playing in 720p vs upscaling to 1080p? I know native res is usually best to play in but a few games (mlb the show '09 is one) look better to me upscaled.

deepbrown

criesofthepast said:
Any thoughts on playing in 720p vs upscaling to 1080p? I know native res is usually best to play in but a few games (mlb the show '09 is one) look better to me upscaled.
Cutscenes are 1080p....so I guess, have your PS3 set to 1080p and the game will decide the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom