• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lantus

Great every single person online on my friends list is playing Uncharted 2, and I have a 3 hour history class to go to in an hour. :mad:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Anastacio said:
The
jungle
in Uncharted 2 is on another level really. It's much more lush and lively. Makes the
jungle
in Drake's Fortune feel a bit sterile, both sound, graphics and design is better in Among Thieves, clearly.

Btw, I'm stuck with a order from GameStop and they won't cancel it. And I'm sitting with the review copy. They gotta wait for November 1st then.
mmm, it does look a lot better, it just doesn't wow you as much as the jungle in UC1 did because of how new it was at the time.

With that being said, it's easily been the least impressive area, visually, in the game. Some of the stuff later on is jaw-dropping. I don't know ND manage.

AFreak said:
What do you guys think sales-age will be like for this?
Much lower than what it deserves.

Most of the PS3 owning casuals at my job didn't know anything about this game. They never buy the first party games.

ACE 1991

Just finished Chapter two, and so far it's all I thought it would be. I love the dialogue, it's highly well done and often hilarious. My favorite line so far occured when
Harry tells Drake "there's a guy above you, there's a guy above you!" and then drake pulls him off of ledge into the water below, he says "there's a guy below you, there's a guy below you!"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
^that was great :lol

in hindsight, that whole section was such a cool way of teaching the player the basics, as well as showing UC1 'vets' what changes have been made.

I weep the loss of my beloved double-ammo brutal combos. ;)

Lord Error said:
Here's what it could be - if you have backed up your saves and restored them onto a different hard drive or a different console, something in recognizing them could be messed up.

For example, I did this backup/restore, and even though my MGS4 saves still work when I boot the game, the MGS4 Documentation app doesn't recognize that I have the 'clear save' file so that it would unlock the spoiler-ed areas anymore. I know for a fact this app recognized everything correctly before I did this backup, but now it doesn't.

In case of UC2 you probably don't have much to feel bad over though. You would get 100K credits, which I've heard would be about enough to buy only two or three weapon upgrades for multiplayer portion.

This is my original BC PS3, the only PS3 I ever played/saved DF on. I played it first before trophy patch, and then 100% again after trophy patch overwriting the save file. I'm logged in to PSN, my trophies are synched (though those trophies were synched a million years ago), I'm using the original hard drive (though I did restore the drive from a backup after upgrading HDD, deciding the new drive didn't play nice enough, and putting the original drive back in).

It's pretty annoying in any case, I see no reason why restoring a backup to the original PS3 on the original drive would render these trophies/saves as invalid for this purpose (or any purpose).

-PXG- said:
It scares me, almost totally creeps me out, how well animated and scripted the cut scenes are. The facial expression are ridiculous.
Writing in video games is nowhere near as good as the writing present in Hollywood movies such as Paul Blart: Mall Cop

This is FACT

rothbart

Okay, one of the funniest parts I've heard was when
Nate was jumping across the rooftops and Harry was spotting for him "There's a guy above you, above you" *Nate reached up and yanks him over the edge to the cliff below* "There's a guy below you, below you!"
That was hilarious! There's no reason for that humor to be there, but it was and it made the characters seem more "real".

ACE 1991

Rez said:
^that was great :lol

in hindsight, that whole section was such a cool way of teaching the player the basics, as well as showing UC1 'vets' what changes have been made.

I weep the loss of my beloved double-ammo brutal combos. ;)

Yeah, those were sweet. The new system seems slightly Arkham Asylum esque, to be honest. No qualms there

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ScrabbleBanshee said:
It's pretty annoying in any case, I see no reason why restoring a backup to the original PS3 on the original drive would render these trophies/saves as invalid for this purpose (or any purpose).
Yeah, that just might be the reason, and it's definitely hard to understand why it happens, I agree.

here's what you can try - delete all the Uncharted save files except for the last one you made. Then start the game on the last chapter, save a new file as soon as the chapter starts, and then complete the game, which really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes altogether. Then delete that 'old' save file, and keep only the one you just made.

Then try loading UC2 and see if it will recognize your status. Of course, you may want to backup your old saves first just if something goes wrong with this :p

shagg_187 said:
FUCKKKK!!!! GOTTA GO PICK IT UP!

P.S. Canadian BOXART SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friend picked up his copy and holy shit, cheap text/font, cheaper ink quality. WTF, CANADA?
Welp, at least we got a new design box, which I thought that we wouldn't, just like Europe didn't. But yeah, everything must be reprinted for dual language.

JudgeN

AFreak said:
What do you guys think sales-age will be like for this?

Probably 300k, PS3 userbase is not known for buying Sony first party stuff no matter how awesome it is.

I am off work and on my way home to play :D

Pachimari

My ups and downs so far:

+ The new stealth take-downs.
+ Close combat.
+ Astounding soundtrack.
+ Acting, voices.
+ Variety in scenarios.
+ etc. (it's kinda neverending).

- Getting stuck in the level design numerious times.
- Cover mechanism sometimes not precise.
- Too much combat
toward the end of the game
- Only
one big puzzle

Lord Error said:
Yeah, that just might be the reason, and it's definitely hard to understand why it happens, I agree.

here's what you can try - delete all the Uncharted save files except for the last one you made. Then start the game on the last chapeter, save a new file as soon as the chapter starts, and then complete the game, which really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes altogether. Then delete that 'old' save file, and keep only the one you just made.

Then try loading UC2 and see if it will recognize your status. Of course, you may want to backup your old saves first just if something goes wrong with this :p

Somebody on the official boards says this:

Monsignor wrote:
Throw Uncharted 1 into the system and load up the game. Then exit out, put in Uncharted 2 and try again.

Unfortunately, I lent Uncharted to somebody and don't have the disc to try this with. :|

Pachimari

Rez said:
mmm, it does look a lot better, it just doesn't wow you as much as the jungle in UC1 did because of how new it was at the time.

With that being said, it's easily been the least impressive area, visually, in the game. Some of the stuff later on is jaw-dropping. I don't know ND manage.
I'm at chapter
and I don't know if the
jungle
is the least impressive, it's just different. I were a bit wowed when I saw different parts of that level, even though I played the original Uncharted before release.

It's so difficult to a 'most impressive', 'least impressive' mark on the levels / chapters in this game. So many of the chapters are amazing, it's not even funny. =)

careksims

It has arrived! Time to turn the surround sound up and play this baby. I been on a total media blackout so this is going to be sooo good. :D

bardia

shagg_187 said:
FUCKKKK!!!! GOTTA GO PICK IT UP!

P.S. Canadian BOXART SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friend picked up his copy and holy shit, cheap text/font, cheaper ink quality. WTF, CANADA?

I just noticed this wtf :lol Also we don't get the pictures on the inside of the game case when you open it up either.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
my brain is exploding

So I see Chapter 1
Matthew mcconaughey managed to find his way into the game in flynn's personage :lol

Do I really need to spoiler this?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
rothbart said:
Okay, one of the funniest parts I've heard was when
Nate was jumping across the rooftops and Harry was spotting for him "There's a guy above you, above you" *Nate reached up and yanks him over the edge to the cliff below* "There's a guy below you, below you!"
That was hilarious! There's no reason for that humor to be there, but it was and it made the characters seem more "real".
When I heard this, though, I actually climbed down to go look for him

lol

Solo

I thought the box art looked pretty janky (Canada) :lol It also doesnt jive with my other PS3 titles. Fuck the rebranding!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Solo said:
I thought the box art looked pretty janky (Canada) :lol It also doesnt jive with my other PS3 titles. Fuck the rebranding!
Better than 6 different Playstation logos with 6 different fonts. Although, in some bizarro way I did think that was great. Just not in a way sony wanted it to be, I'm sure. It sucks how they have to reprint everything here though. I remember launch games all the way up to Motorstorm weren't reprinted, and even had the inside print art, but after that they just cheaped out on that.

Solo said:

I look at it as, out with the shitty old design, in with great new design! It may not match, but I think it looks so much better.

Anastacio said:
My ups and downs so far:

+ The new stealth take-downs.
+ Close combat.
+ Astounding soundtrack.
+ Acting, voices.
+ Variety in scenarios.
+ etc. (it's kinda neverending).

- Getting stuck in the level design numerious times.
- Cover mechanism sometimes not precise.
- Too much combat
toward the end of the game
- Only
one big puzzle

I actually felt that the cover mechanic was better than Gears. I never really get caught on anything I didn't want to; plus rolling into cover is bad ass. As for the level design, I take it you're referring to the fact that you don't know where to platform to next.I also didn't mind this one bit - it's part of the fun of platforming imo. Also I'm at Chapter 20 and have encountered
puzzles so far. No need to go into semantic debate about what a puzzle is I guess.

Solo

brandonh83 said:
I look at it as, out with the shitty old design, in with great new design! It may not match, but I think it looks so much better.

Sure, the new design may be better, but I guess Im just a continuity whore, and like to see the spines looking the same. In reality, it doesnt fucking matter, but Im just being picky :lol

Pachimari

Arne, you guys gotta flesh out and expand upon the formular used in chapter
and give us more of those breaks and set it in the Philippines.

There is an Uncharted Motion Comic coming out. It will deal with an idea ND had about doing a prequel for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Via PS Blog.

Pachimari

DevelopmentArrested said:
I actually felt that the cover mechanic was better than Gears. I never really get caught on anything I didn't want to; plus rolling into cover is bad ass. As for the level design, I take it you're referring to the fact that you don't know where to platform to next.I also didn't mind this one bit - it's part of the fun of platforming imo. Also I'm at Chapter 20 and have encountered
puzzles so far. No need to go into semantic debate about what a puzzle is I guess.
No, that is not it - that's a great part of the game. Nathan Drake got literally stuck in objects more times than i liked. No bad thing, as it's expected that every game to have some errors. I'm not complaining. =)

I'm at chapter 22, and there has only been
one big
puzzle.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Dax01 said:
Honestly: Why order from online (unless you're getting a deal for it) when you know it's going to be in stores on the release date?

If Amazon does release day delivery, I always go with them. I get it delivered to my office and I can sit here and drool over the game all day, and then go straight home from work and play it instead of having to drive to a gamestore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom