• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
BTW, is anybody else refraining from using any of the Hints?? I just ignore the Hints indicator and try to figure it out on my own.

Yeah I try not to. There's an option to turn them off.

Firewire said:
Best water I've ever seen and the
swimming
is incredible.

Marco!

Polo!

Virro said:
Agreed. Hard = Normal. If you played the MP Demo and actually enjoyed the mechanics and understood them, you'll be in great shape. The only places I get stuck or die repeatedly are where there's some trick I'm just missing. Otherwise, the combat is smooth and the puzzles are easy per usual.

Same, hard isnt too bad, the only time I died(consistently) was
on the train when the helicopter was attacking and you had to go on the other side of the train to avoid it, leading up to shooting it with the rpg, couldnt get by it, took like 6 or 7 tries
other than that, all the deaths have been missed jumps, or me trying to run and gun my way through, or trying to do too many melees

Ok so I am on the 23rd chapter and I dont know what to think of this game. I think I am in shock. No, I am not joking. There is just too much awesome going on to comprehend it. Seriously, this game shits on other action adventure games. It blows my mind visually and the pacing is so well done I cannot even handle it. Game of the generation for me folks.

Animator

Kittonwy said:
The lighting and shadowing are both better in Uncharted 2 than in Uncharted 1 for sure, character models are more detailed in Uncharted 2 even during gameplay, Drake's hair definitely got some improvements as it looks more natural and is affected by the wind now, texture-wise it's about the same, Uncharted 2 has ambient occlusion which Uncharted 1 did not have.

Seriously, Uncharted 2 is among the best games of ALL TIME, MGS4 isn't even in the same league in terms of ANYTHING, Uncharted 2 even does ACTION-STEALTH better.
Indifferent2.gif

Gotta agree with this. Stealth in uncharted is so much better implemented than in mgs4 its not even funny.

I am only thru Chapter 17, but atm, I am really glad
elena is the one Drake is with, Chloe, even from the start put me off, great voice work for her though, well for all of them really..

Victrix said:
The animation in this game is absolutely top fucking notch

Mhm but what I'm more impressed with is the dialogue. I cannot believe I'm listening/watching a game when the cut scenes kick in, even the in game chit-chat between Sully and Nathan is amazing.

Naughty Dog. I love thee.
2i78zcx.gif

Norml

Square Triangle said:
Mhm but what I'm more impressed with is the dialogue. I cannot believe I'm listening/watching a game when the cut scenes kick in, even the in game chit-chat between Sully and Nathan is amazing.

Yep ,they are KING at that:D

Magnus

For those who just got it today, there's a known bug that causes a freeze very near the end of the game after one of the major battles. It seems to occur for everyone at exactly the same spot in one of the last few chapters.

Right after the battle that you interrupt between Guardians and Mercenaries near the Cintamani Stone at the pinnacle of the temple.

When it freezes during your weapon pickup spree post-battle, just reset your system. You'll be able to load back in, and your checkpoint will have gone through, resulting in you loading in to the room just beyond where you were. You can still go back to the room you were in and loot some weapons/treasure/etc.

On one playthrough for me, my system successfully resetted when I held down the reset button during the freeze. On the second time, it stayed in that intermittent blue/green light flashing phase for over a minute, which freaked me out. I did a hard power off with the switch at the back and turned it back on 20 seconds later. Everything was fine.

And if it matters, I have a launch 60gb system. Maybe it's only occuring with certain firmware or certain models of the PS3?

DoomGyver

Just finished up.. Wow that was fantastic. ND really hit this one out of the damn ballpark.

edit: to above, I also froze there (the only freeze)

Virro

Magnus said:
For those who just got it today, there's a known bug that causes a freeze very near the end of the game after one of the major battles. It seems to occur for everyone at exactly the same spot in one of the last few chapters.

Right after the battle that you interrupt between Guardians and Mercenaries near the Cintamani Stone at the pinnacle of the temple.

When it freezes during your weapon pickup spree post-battle, just reset your system. You'll be able to load back in, and your checkpoint will have gone through, resulting in you loading in to the room just beyond where you were. You can still go back to the room you were in and loot some weapons/treasure/etc.

On one playthrough for me, my system successfully resetted when I held down the reset button during the freeze. On the second time, it stayed in that intermittent blue/green light flashing phase for over a minute, which freaked me out. I did a hard power off with the switch at the back and turned it back on 20 seconds later. Everything was fine.

And if it matters, I have a launch 60gb system. Maybe it's only occuring with certain firmware or certain models of the PS3?

Thanks for posting this. We were discussing it a page back.

Just finished the game and all I can say is WOW. What a game.

I'll give 'em the standing O if you will.

I'm staying out of this thread to avoid spoilerz but I have a question: Whats the blue # next to your level # in multiplayer? I don't see anything in the manual and that # didn't exist in the beta.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I'm staying out of this thread to avoid spoilerz but I have a question: Whats the blue # next to your level # in multiplayer? I don't see anything in the manual and that # didn't exist in the beta.

they have a ranked playlist now. maybe a separate number

The Chef

Kittonwy said:
The lighting is better in Uncharted 2 than in Uncharted 1 for sure, character models are more detailed in Uncharted 2 even during gameplay, Drake's hair definitely got some improvements.

Seriously, Uncharted 2 is among the best games of ALL TIME, MGS4 isn't even in the same league in terms of ANYTHING, Uncharted 2 even does ACTION-STEALTH better.
Indifferent2.gif

The level of detail is unreal. You can see individual threads in Drakes shirt for god sakes. But even more than that, is the sheer realism in characters. Their movements, their facial expressions, everything received such an overwhelming level of attention and it shows in every minute of this game. And even on a technical level. My god this game does not load...ever...have people really been overlooking this?

I cant remember the last time I was so completely immersed in a game before. The characters are so real and alive. The story is so well thought out and the dialogue is absolutely brilliant and hilarious. And the pace this game sets, my god I find myself getting chills again and again.

Having spent the last 10 hours playing today I am able to really comfortably say that this game has changed the way that I look at games forever. This is truly the greatest game I have ever played.

Uncharted 2 is the Godfather, The Dark Knight, the Shawshank of the video game world. And I am eternally grateful to ND for this masterpiece.

The Chef said:
The level of detail is unreal. You can see individual threads in Drakes shirt for god sakes. But even more than that, is the sheer realism in characters. Their movements, their facial expressions, everything received such an overwhelming level of attention and it shows in every minute of this game. And even on a technical level. My god this game does not load...ever...have people really been overlooking this?

I cant remember the last time I was so completely immersed in a game before. The characters are so real and alive. The story is so well thought out and the dialogue is absolutely brilliant and hilarious. And the pace this game sets, my god I find myself getting chills again and again.

Having spent the last 10 hours playing today I am able to really comfortably say that this game has changed the way that I look at games forever. This is truly the greatest game I have ever played.

Uncharted 2 is the Godfather, The Dark Knight, the Shawshank of the video game world. And I am eternally grateful to ND for this masterpiece.
:lol :lol :lol

More like:

NationalTreasure.jpg

AKS

I'd really like to put that guy who edited the GameSpot video review in an armbar now that I've played through the part those asshats spoiled within the first 5 seconds of the review. It really lessened the impact of an awesome scene, especially the foreshadowing shot.

Noooooooooooooooo

Poor Jeff :(

I feel pretty down... but I think the train level is coming up now.

This game is so wicked, it's not even funny. Love the dialogue.

Uncharted 2 did actually remind me of National Treasure a bit like the first game reminded me of Romancing the Stone. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Dragon

Banned
MickeyKnox said:

Please tell me you're kidding. If just the cutscenes in Uncharted 2 were made into a feature film, it would be better than National Treasure. Please don't go there. :lol

Linkzg said:
Uncharted 2 did actually remind me of National Treasure a bit like the first game reminded me of Romancing the Stone. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

National Treasure is a very very mediocre movie.

Magnus

AKS said:
I'd really like to put that guy who edited the GameSpot video review in an armbar now that I've played through the part those asshats spoiled within the first 5 seconds of the review. It really lessened the impact of an awesome scene, especially the foreshadowing shot.

Don't watch video reviews for games you know you're going to buy and play through anyway! :D

I had something brutal spoiled for me once and learned that hard lesson too.

Just got to chapter 24. Fuck this may be one of the top 5 games ever made. That isn't hyperbole (hi ghost of dax!). It's just simply that good. The graphics, the set-pieces, the score, the gunplay, the platforming.. such a complete package.

Still need some people for COOP on HARD... pm me.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

inner-G

Banned
Just finished ch.1,and FUUUUUUUUU its awesome.

I forgot how amazing the Uncharted DTS sound was, and this is even better probably.

Amir0x said:
And now I'm posting about how I feel about your act in this thread.

*clicks ban button*
Thank you.
Animal said:
I can't tell you how many posts I typed up to bring up this same feeling and then backed off.

If you had waited any longer you might of been clicking my ban button right about now :lol
Yeah, except you weren't shitting up the thread with useless crap that you wouldn't be doing in other threads for your platform of choice.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've just played the first 4 chapters or so so far. Pretty god damn impressed. My PS3 has been worth it if just for Resistance FOM and both Uncharteds so far.

Fixed1979

Not reading the thread for fear of knowing more than I do. Just got to
Nepal
and I have to go to bed, my eyes are burning from a long day at work. So far it's everything that I thought it would have been, it's one of the few times in recent memory that GAF hype doesn't do the game justice. Simply the coolest opening sequences in any game I've played, can't wait to really get into the game tomorrow.

DrBo42

Anyone else getting this fucking progression break during the grenade tutorial? Fucking hell.

Edit: Restarted checkpoint and now it works. Thank god.

-PXG-

I'm on Chapter 17 now. O___O

These graphics are insane. Gameplay is top notch. Everything is superb. God damn ND. God fucking damn.

Just finished up! Went ahead and played on hard and to me it was pretty much perfect for my first playthrough! This game is the definition of a 10! I mean it is holy fucking EPIC!!!!

-PXG-

Dartastic said:
How the fuck did they do this in only two years?!??!?!?

1) Talent
2) Knowing what the hell they're doing
3) Talent
4) Magic
5) Money

Seriously. I'm not bullshitting. This is the closest to perfection I have ever witnessed. I've been playing it all day and HAVEN'T PUT IT DOWN YET. I got it at around 1:30 in the afternoon and its 1:30 AM now. Again, I haven't put it down YET. I haven't played a game this long, non-stop since God knows when. That is a sign of a true masterpiece.

PLEASE! OTHER DEVS! Pay close attention to this game. Play this game. This is the quality that ALL developers should strive for. This is the quality that I expect and DEMAND from all games from now on.

Decado

The Chef said:
The level of detail is unreal. You can see individual threads in Drakes shirt for god sakes. But even more than that, is the sheer realism in characters. Their movements, their facial expressions, everything received such an overwhelming level of attention and it shows in every minute of this game. And even on a technical level.
A pitty that is shattered the second you fire a weapon. This game screams "must buy", otherwise, though. Too bad it isn't enough (for me, anyway).

TheBranca18 said:
National Treasure is a very very mediocre movie.

I don't disagree, but the some of the settings and characters made me think "wow, this kinda reminds me of National Treasure." It's not a 1:1 comparison or anything, it just made me think about it. If you wanted to compare story, acting and all that, Uncharted 2 would probably be better. That's lukewarm praise for Uncharted 2.

-PXG- said:
1) Talent
3) Talent
4) Magic
5) Money

That's the one. They are wizards.

There was a job opening last week for a human sacrifice. I mean, maybe I'm reading too far into it.

commissar

So far I've fallen through the world once, and had flynn fail to take out his first guard three times D:
I'm doing a hard run this time, and the stealth section is broken.
Godfucking dammit

LCfiner

Decado said:
A pitty that is shattered the second you fire a weapon. This game screams "must buy", otherwise, though. Too bad it isn't enough (for me, anyway).

just curious. is your issue with the mechanics of the gunplay or the fact that there’s guns at all?

Dartastic

-PXG- said:
1) Talent
3) Talent
4) Magic
5) Money

Seriously. I'm not bullshitting. This is the closest to perfection I have ever witnessed. I've been playing it all day and HAVEN'T PUT IT DOWN YET. I got it at around 1:30 in the afternoon and its 1:30 AM now. Again, I haven't put it down YET. I haven't played a game this long, non-stop since God knows when. That is a sign of a true masterpiece.

PLEASE! OTHER DEVS! Pay close attention to this game. Play this game. This is the quality that ALL developers should strive for. This is the quality that I expect and DEMAND from all games from now on.

Yeah, it's fucking incredible. I just got to the
top of the hotel
and from a technical standpoint I SEE what they're doing in regards to the little technical tricks and whatnot to really make you fall in love with the title, I just DON'T KNOW HOW THE FUCK THEY DID IT in the amount of time they HAD. Unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom