• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the game today and I have been playing it for 10 hours now and I have a feeling I am reaching the end :(

this game better now be as short as the first one !!

really annoying with 12 hour games.

VegaShinra said:
Not sure if I'm mentioned it too often on GAF, but cross-game chat (according to parties at Sony and 1st party developers) it has been in there for a LONG time, just not functional due to XMB design and/or legal issues. Probably the ladder, since that's how American giant MS deals with everything (by law).

pj325is said:
noticeably longer
It also varies on ny what skins are being used. I've been in games that loaded much quicker because people were on high-speed internet, same county, and the load time for Village was faster than any time I played in the beta. More often then not, though, its at least a little longer than beta. Probably all the extra boosters / skins.

wouwie

Going to buy my copy friday. Right now, i'm playing Uncharted 1 to warm up and get into the mood for the sequel. My heart is going all warm again from playing UC. Visually, still one of the most lovely games around. Great music, fun gameplay,... I adore it.

I'm really curious how UC2 is going to be. Can't wait :)

Just started Chapter 5. Oh. My. God.

Really, enough with the "best console graphics this gen" comments...you can remove the console from that statement and you're right on the mark.

There is no game that looks better than Naughty Dog's masterpiece. None.

And before anyone even says it, no I'm sorry...Crysis DOES NOT look better than Uncharted 2.

Thank you, Naughty Dog. Thank you so damn much! :D

Pimpbaa

I started trying out multiplayer and was disappointed to find out it takes just as long to get into a match as it did in the beta. Also, why can't there be map rotation? Booting you out to find another group of people after every match is dumb.

ACE 1991

Holy shit. I
just finished Desperate Times... Although I've seen the helicopter sequences numerous times on during e3, I still blew me the fuck away. Also, I loved the part right after Nate jumps through the glass to avoid the collapsing building and you hear nothing but the tick tock of a clock... Such an amazing little touch that fit perfectly, in contrast with the highly intense part that preceded it.

blehh said:
is it just me or is the multiplayer matchmaking horribly unbalanced?
It doesn't matchmake based on levels.

Arne said it's based on something else, and didn't say what.

Also, people may be partied up, making balance issues.

Zeliard

robertsan21 said:
I got the game today and I have been playing it for 10 hours now and I have a feeling I am reaching the end :(

lol

Maybe try pacing yourself?

LaneDS

Dreohboy said:
This + Infinity.

Love me some Claudia Black.:D

Love me some Uncharted 2! Has surpassed the 1996 release of Tomb Raider as my favorite video game of all time.

Hell no, Team Elena for life.

buffi

Banned
Boxart for the European LE is quite interesting.
I like textless boxes, but they could have made it prettier for sure.

EBODhIrlf.jpg

ZecYItQKT.jpg

Forsete

Not sure what chapter I am on, but holy crackpipe is the game good.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm using grenades way more than I did in UC1, thank god they got rid of the stupid sixaxis motion stuff.

Same.. Overall the controllers feel better compared to Uncharted 1.. Or maybe I just forgot how awesome they were. :)

imtehman

Banned
robertsan21 said:

That's why i suggested people who don't care for the multiplayer and just want to play the single player campaign (like me) should consider just renting it because you could beat it through a few sittings.

However, i did buy the game since i like to own things. But after i beat the single player i probably won't go back to it. I've become that kind of gamer

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
pixel monkey said:
Really, enough with the "best console graphics this gen" comments...you can remove the console from that statement and you're right on the mark.

There is no game that looks better than Naughty Dog's masterpiece. None.

And before anyone even says it, no I'm sorry...Crysis DOES NOT look better than Uncharted 2.

Oh boy.

imtehman said:
That's why i suggested people who don't care for the multiplayer and just want to play the single player campaign (like me) should consider just renting it because you could beat it through a few sittings.

However, i did buy the game since i like to own things. But after i beat the single player i probably won't go back to it. I've become that kind of gamer

same here, I finish them once and mostly never play them again.

but i really hope this game doesnt end until chapter 150 :)

ND please please for Uncharted 3 make it BIGGER and way longer.

I dont like pacing myself when playing games, I am used to Final Fantasy and I love these 100+ hour games

Forsete

Oh shut up already, lets not bring that tech demo in this thread.

Btw, I am also having problems limiting my play time.. I always want to know what happens next. Usually my bladder says when its time to stop playing. ;)

Forsete said:
Same.. Overall the controllers feel better compared to Uncharted 1.. Or maybe I just forgot how awesome they were. :)

Yeah, the entire flow of the control feels better, smoother. It's a joy to pop down into cover, pick off a couple guys, work you way around to the side and ambush the AI with a melee attack. I never feel like i'm fighting to get Drake to do what I want. And the animations/models are just superb.

Yeef

Just finished the single player about a half hour ago. Amazing is the only word for it. I think I'll probably replay a few chapters to find more treasures and get more of the gun medals.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
pixel monkey said:

Usually you apologize after the lie. UC2 is a phenomenal looking game, but come on, this is just silly.

Carlisle

TheKurgan said:
Reading this thread is painful. I wish I didn't pick the "SuperSaver" shipping option from Amazon!
I'm in the same boat as you :( Friday is going to be a good day. Until then, though, Demon's Souls is a doing a much-better-than-expected job of keeping my mind off of UC2.

bud

i'm stuck at the beginning, lol. i just got
past those guards and now i have to find the switch
. where is it? i fail so much. smh.

imtehman

Banned
bud said:

the first switch? just follow the cord that's attached to the light along the wall

Amir0x

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
Is indiana jones going to be the standard bearer of the whole pulp genre now?

Uncharted 2 is amazing on it's own merit. regardless of other weird comparisons people make with other media.

When there's an indiana jones GAME that's as well realised as uncharted... then we'll talk.

otherwise you're comparing apples to chilli beef sauce.

I think it's clear in the context of this discussion, we're evaluating the ability of the storytelling in games to be "movie-calibre", particularly in reference to the "standard setting" quality of Uncharted 2's cutscenes and what not.

I feel games have merely reached B grade with Uncharted 2, is all. It's a fun adventure, it does amazing things with facial animation and lighting and texture work, but story and script-wise it's still a shadow of what it's clearly trying to replicate: a movie.

Arne said:
go run your internet connection test again. try that and see if it helps. same goes for you Tiktaalik.

We're going to give it a shot today when Mango gets off work, although I have no idea why that would be an issue. Me and Mango were using XBL Party chat during this and I had played a game on 360 online a few minutes earlier, so it'd be bizarre.

As I said, we had not a single problem in the BETA. We never lost connection, matchmaking was brisk, we always could join each others parties. Come release day, we can't even join each others parties.

TacticalFox88 said:
In all honesty, Crysis looks better on a technical level thanks to the sheer horsepower and memory in computers. However, the way Naughty Dog has combined all the different effects, along with physics for more than just destructible terrain, as well as the music and wonderful acting / dialog... it really outdoes Crysis in terms of what your eye is seeing.

Must mention, however, that even after running at max settings Crysis, to me, was a game that was not very fun until the very end, when things got crazy. Thankfully, a wonderful mod community exists and has produced some of the most realistic forest/jungle environments EVER.

Amir0x said:
I feel games have merely reached B grade with Uncharted 2, is all. It's a fun adventure, it does amazing things with facial animation and lighting and texture work, but story and script-wise it's still a shadow of what it's clearly trying to replicate: a movie.
I think it exceeds the grade quite often, especially with the banter that takes place outside of cutscenes for the more pivotal story elements. They reach back pretty far, even discussing very horrific elements, all while retaining the "Dark Knight" level of PG... er, Teen :p

Forsete

bud said:

Up to the right. You have to climb to get there, follow the power line coming from the alarm

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
bud said:
Second switch, right? Just do the most logical thing you'd do in real life to climb somewhere, and that you can never do in games for some reason.

Oneself

RoadHazard: I did my homework and I can confirm you that I see none of the problems you took pictures of. Everything is fine, black bars fill the screen, no purple dot either.

I bet it's a PAL problem.. don't know why though.

Doytch

pixel monkey said:
Forsete said:
Oh shut up already, lets not bring that tech demo in this thread.
Oh look, console peasants. UC2 looks phenomenal. It is by far and away the best looking console game I've ever seen. But I'm not stupid enough to think that something running at 720p looks better than stuff that runs at resolutions four times larger, powered by graphics cards that have twice as much memory and even more bandwidth than the entire PS3.

That said, from what I've seen from the first eight chapters, I like UC2 as a game more than Crysis.

imtehman

Banned
Doytch said:
Oh look, console peasants. UC2 looks phenomenal. It is by far and away the best looking console game I've ever seen. But I'm not stupid enough to think that something running at 720p looks better than stuff that runs at resolutions four times larger, powered by graphics cards that have twice as much memory and even more bandwidth than the entire PS3.

some people are devoid of logic though. Especially on Gaf

Lince said:
so how are the loading times compared to the Beta?

can't believe I have two fucking copies of the game and I'm still committed to Ninja Gaiden 2...

Ninja Gaiden? Lince fuck that shit you know you can't stay away from this thread join us!

Edeuinu

Oneself said:
RoadHazard: I did my homework and I can confirm you that I see none of the problems you took pictures of. Everything is fine, black bars fill the screen, no purple dot either.

I bet it's a PAL problem.. don't know why though.

I didn't see your pics but I think I know what you mean, lil dot in the bottom right? Hit L1, you can see around the black border. I'm in NA, must be screen size tv setting stuff.

wouwie

Just wondering (as i didn't see many people mention it thus far): how is the music? I adored the music in Uncharted 1. Is it similar in style and quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom