• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oneself said:
RoadHazard: I did my homework and I can confirm you that I see none of the problems you took pictures of. Everything is fine, black bars fill the screen, no purple dot either.

I bet it's a PAL problem.. don't know why though.
It showed up when I played last week, after getting a US copy from Naughty Dog in San Francisco. Think I posted about it on Tuesday, but no one really said anything. Should have taken a picture :lol

Here we go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17910117&postcount=3908

wouwie said:
Just wondering (as i didn't see many people mention it thus far): how is the music? I adored the music in Uncharted 1. Is it similar in style and quality?
I'll tell you right now it is KILLING me that I got rid of all my credit cards because I want the OST so badly... it definitely feels like and trumps the original OST. They doubled the size of the musicians, if I remember correctly. Holy wow-now brown-cow!

Xtyle

Doytch said:
Oh look, console peasants. UC2 looks phenomenal. It is by far and away the best looking console game I've ever seen. But I'm not stupid enough to think that something running at 720p looks better than stuff that runs at resolutions four times larger, powered by graphics cards that have twice as much memory and even more bandwidth than the entire PS3.

That said, from what I've seen from the first eight chapters, I like UC2 as a game more than Crysis.

I think all that is more of the technical prowess then what necessary looks better.
Uncharted 2, combined with its shaders and amazingly detailed textures, is a lot better looking than Crysis on some levels. Crysis's levels are much much bigger though

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
So I guess you don't need to actually beat the entire game in order to unlock certain difficulty trophies/rewards? The select chapter menu has "Beaten on: Normal", so I assume if you just bump them all up to hard/crushing, ding? I hope so.

Lol, playing through the game as
Jeff the Camera Dude.

Just beat the game! 11h30min on normal. What a ride. GOTY for sure, possibly generation. Definitely the best told story in the history of video games. nothing comes close.

Shurs said:
9 out of 10.

So I guess Tom Chick is the only reviewer who thinks Uncharted 2 is not worth a purchase.

I read Tom Chick's review over here of Uncharted 2, and that dude must have fallen off the rocker. He has issues with all the things that other gamers are glowing about. He didn't like the story, didn't think the game had any memorable moments. WTF was he playing?

Who is this guy anyways? Is he doing this for web traffic?

xenorevlis said:
In all honesty, Crysis looks better on a technical level thanks to the sheer horsepower and memory in computers. However, the way Naughty Dog has combined all the different effects, along with physics for more than just destructible terrain, as well as the music and wonderful acting / dialog... it really outdoes Crysis in terms of what your eye is seeing.
Must mention, however, that even after running at max settings Crysis, to me, was a game that was not very fun until the very end, when things got crazy. Thankfully, a wonderful mod community exists and has produced some of the most realistic forest/jungle environments EVER.

I think it exceeds the grade quite often, especially with the banter that takes place outside of cutscenes for the more pivotal story elements. They reach back pretty far, even discussing very horrific elements, all while retaining the "Dark Knight" level of PG... er, Teen :p

:lol :lol :lol :lol, ND is good but not that good. Acting/dialog I'll give you but UC2 comes nowhere near Crysis on ANY level.

imtehman

Banned
3rdamention said:
I read Tom Chick's review over here of Uncharted 2, and that dude must have fallen off the rocker. He has issues with all the things that other gamers are glowing about. He didn't like the story, didn't think the game had any memorable moments. WTF was he playing?
Who is this guy anyways? Is he doing this for web traffic?

maybe he has a different opinion than yours? shocking i know

Amir0x said:
I think it's clear in the context of this discussion, we're evaluating the ability of the storytelling in games to be "movie-calibre", particularly in reference to the "standard setting" quality of Uncharted 2's cutscenes and what not.

I feel games have merely reached B grade with Uncharted 2, is all. It's a fun adventure, it does amazing things with facial animation and lighting and texture work, but story and script-wise it's still a shadow of what it's clearly trying to replicate: a movie.
I think I agree. UC2 would probably be panned if it was the concept and script for a movie. It simply shows how far games are behind movies. But it also shows that the concept of an action movie translates much better to games than it does to the movie itself.

wouwie said:
Just wondering (as i didn't see many people mention it thus far): how is the music? I adored the music in Uncharted 1. Is it similar in style and quality?

If you loved the music in 1 you will love it in 2.

Violater

iamcool388 said:
AndHereWeGo.gif

172 pages without that BS indeed, we had a long run. :/

STFU about crysis please people don't let your excitement make u stupid.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ok my opinion of this game just went through the fucking roof! Honestly the first couple hours I was impressed but not blown away. I only got to play it for 3 hours or so last night. Today I just got through the
train sequence
. All I have to say is HOLY FUCKING SHIT I LOVE THIS GAME AND WANT TO PUT MY PENIS IN IT.

wouwie said:

The quality is up there with the best, and the style is very similar to the first one. However, in this one I think Greg Edmonson got even more opportunity to use different genres and instruments because the game takes place in SO MANY locations.

The music for some levels is truly outstanding. Some songs I really enjoy are Broken Paradise, Reunion (beautiful, just beautiful... very soulful), Cornered... The whole album is fantastic, and I heartily recommend picking it up. (Its on itunes.)

There is a song in the UC2 soundtrack whose name is actually a spoiler, but its not by Edmonson, its by Carmen Rizzo... fucking fantastic. Goddam.

TacticalFox88 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol, ND is good but not that good. Acting/dialog I'll give you but UC2 comes nowhere near Crysis on ANY level.
All I will say is this: give ND and Crytek a system with the same specs and see who comes out on top. Until then, you cannot make those kinds of comparisons.

Leatherface

TacticalFox88 said:

How about the game play level? Because it thoroughly destroys Crysis in that area as well. Crysis may be more of a powerhouse on a technical level, but not by THAT much to tell you the truth. Sure, it has it beat in the resolution department. Graphically it's not leaps and bounds. It just isn't, and that's damn impressive for a console game to achieve.

TacticalFox88 said:
Well, what I'm describing is entirely subjective, so if you think Crysis looks better you're right. I already said that it does more on a technical level - hell I have a custom PC with 2 GTX 285 SLI, i7975, and 12GB of ram.

However, I still liked what my eyes were seeing more often in Uncharted 2. The ice and snow in Crysis was pretty, but ND did an incredible job of giving it proper sub-surface shaders and snow on the characters / environments. Coupled with the art design of the different levels and characters, I found it a much better looking game. Hell, I think Arkham Asylum on my computer looks better than Crysis, but Uncharted 2 looks even better.

To me :)

Violater said:
172 pages without that BS indeed, we had a long run. :/

STFU about crysis please people don't let your excitement make u stupid.

Actually, Crysis was being compared to UC2 earlier by Dark10x.
Nobody seemed to jump all over his opinion though....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amir0x said:
I think it's clear in the context of this discussion, we're evaluating the ability of the storytelling in games to be "movie-calibre", particularly in reference to the "standard setting" quality of Uncharted 2's cutscenes and what not.

I feel games have merely reached B grade with Uncharted 2, is all. It's a fun adventure, it does amazing things with facial animation and lighting and texture work, but story and script-wise it's still a shadow of what it's clearly trying to replicate: a movie.
You know, if you feel that way, which movie of this kind after the original Indy trilogy gave you a better sense of good adventure? I honestly can't think of literally any. Does that mean that every other movie of this kind is a 'C' class then? Of course, the whole genre is not exactly some high art concept to begin with, quite the opposite actually.

Movies and games of this kind have a unique advantage and disadvantage though, in the sense that the game has longer time for its ride, while the movie can be plotted more tightly and cohesively due to its shortness.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked how little motifs from the Main Theme quietly play during tense sections, such as the beginning of the game.

Leatherface said:
How about the game play level? Because it thoroughly destroys Crysis in that area as well. Crysis may be more of a powerhouse on a technical level, but not by THAT much to tell you the truth. Sure, it has it beat in the resolution department. Graphically it's not leaps and bounds. It just isn't, and that's damn impressive for a console game to achieve.
please don't

Zeliard

Leatherface said:
How about the game play level? Because it thoroughly destroys Crysis in that area as well.

lol, no. Uncharted 2 is a fine game, but linear environments and weak gunplay do not best what Crysis brings to the table.

imtehman said:
maybe he has a different opinion than yours? shocking i know

I haven't read the review but I can honestly say that dude and I don't see eye to eye on almost any game. In all honesty, well, lets just say he is a good critic :lol

Zeliard said:
lol, no. Uncharted 2 is a fine game, but linear environments and weak gunplay do not best what Crysis brings to the table.

Just wondering, whats so weak about it? Or better yet what do you mean by 'weak'?

Forsete

I had a hell of a time at that crumbling building, must have died 8 times or something. Didnt quite click that I had to jump. :p

Just wondering, whats so weak about it? Or better yet what do you mean by 'weak'?

Weak gunplay > demo to take screengrabs in. Did anyone actually complete that forgettable POS? I did.

Anyway, moving on.

Zeliard

TheExecutive said:

There's no force whatsoever behind the act of shooting a gun in Uncharted. Not enough feedback to the player. It's always been my biggest problem with the game, and it's still an issue for me in the sequel.

Doytch said:
Oh look, console peasants. UC2 looks phenomenal. It is by far and away the best looking console game I've ever seen. But I'm not stupid enough to think that something running at 720p looks better than stuff that runs at resolutions four times larger, powered by graphics cards that have twice as much memory and even more bandwidth than the entire PS3.

No offense to those gamers that favor the PC...but I call 'em as I see 'em and Uncharted 2 is the best looking game I've ever seen. And yes, I've played Crysis on a maxed out rig. Sure, there are some things Crysis technically does better but it doesn't look any better as far as I'm concerned.

You can push around all the polygons you like, but what does the game ultimately look like on the screen in front of you? Art direction plays a part, it goes beyond just tech specs.

And for the record, no one could ever say I'm in Sony's back pocket...farthest from it. But fair is fair and beautiful is not a strong enough word for this title.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
so how are the loading times compared to the Beta?

can't believe I have two fucking copies of the game and I'm still committed to Ninja Gaiden 2...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SEND ME ONE I'M DYING HERE

imtehman

Banned
TheExecutive said:

i also think the gunplay is the weakest part of the game as well. It becomes obvious when you have games like Gears of war to compare it with. But to be fair to UC2 its not a shooter, but shooting is just one part of a greater whole, and it shows when you play it

Dever

Banned
Zeliard said:
There's no force whatsoever behind the act of shooting a gun in Uncharted. Not enough feedback to the player. It's always been my biggest problem with the game, and it's still an issue for me in the sequel.

I will never understand this complaint. Feels basically the same as any other game to me, if not better. The shotguns feel badass.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Zeliard said:

I thought Crysis was a tech demo, completely boring as a FPS.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oneself said:
RoadHazard: I did my homework and I can confirm you that I see none of the problems you took pictures of. Everything is fine, black bars fill the screen, no purple dot either.

I bet it's a PAL problem.. don't know why though.

+

Edeuinu said:
I didn't see your pics but I think I know what you mean, lil dot in the bottom right? Hit L1, you can see around the black border. I'm in NA, must be screen size tv setting stuff.

&

xenorevlis said:
It showed up when I played last week, after getting a US copy from Naughty Dog in San Francisco. Think I posted about it on Tuesday, but no one really said anything. Should have taken a picture :lol

=

So, it's obviously not just the PAL version, and I can't think of any other answer than that your TV, Onself, has overscan. It shouldn't, if you have activated 1:1 pixel mapping, but what other answer could there be?

In any case, I really hope ND are aware of this (I don't see how they couldn't be) and will do their best to fix it. It's not a deal breaker in any way, but it is a bit annoying. I can't help being distracted by it now that I know it's there.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I played two hours last night. Holeeeeee crap. So good. Can't wait to play some more tonight. Played some online mmmmmmm so good. Lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Forsete said:
I had a hell of a time at that crumbling building, must have died 8 times or something. Didnt quite click that I had to jump. :p

Weak gunplay > demo to take screengrabs in. Did anyone actually complete that forgettable POS? I did.

Anyway, moving on.
omg! :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TacticalFox88 said:
Eh, it literally destroys it in animation department, and I don't know why anyone would even bother to argue otherwise.

As I said before also, a lot of lighting in Uncharted is a mixture of realtime and static lightmaps, and static maps are rendered using some of the best offline renderers too, so it's going to make the final image look amazing even though it wouldn't be able to handle the day/night change for example. Microlevel of detail in UC2 is also something you won't see anywhere else, and is of course afforded in part by game's linear environments where modelling and texturing focus can be put onto a smaller scene.

Snow scenes in UC2 also look better than in Crysis, and your character interacts with snow better as well. I'm not sure if Crysis even uses subsurface scattering on it's snow surfaces, but it didn't look like it when I was playing it.

Zeliard

Leatherface said:
Indeed. Does anyone care about Crysis at all for it's gameplay?

Given how exceedingly rare Crysis' open-ended gameplay is, particularly in the FPS genre, I would say many people.

Leatherface said:
Indeed. Does anyone care about Crysis at all for it's gameplay?
I enjoyed it. Warhead was even better.

But yeah - all these posts about U2 looks better than Crysis... no. I love my PS3 and Uncharted 2 (platinum'd it on Saturday) but c'mon now. lol
It's easily the best looking console game I've seen, though.

Anyway, here's hoping some of you bastards on my friends list are actually playing Multiplayer now. I got excited once Tuesday came around like "yes! People to play with online!".... go online and everyone has the Phurba icon next to their names (playing Singleplayer). Sigh.

GeeDuhb

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I love this game so much that I want to drink a gallon of water just so I'm ready to piss my pants every time I play it.

Whatever you do, just be careful...you don't want to die from water poisoning like the poor girl did who tried to to win that "hold your Wii" radio contest.

/me DIES

"Lord I apologize"
larry%202.jpg

Loudninja

Ok the combat is much better than Uncharted, the melee is really improve, the stealth kills are fun and useful, you can still use them even when they spotted you.The gunplay feels better as well to me, everything seems better.

The guns sound alot better as well,the friendly AI is much much better than Uncharted.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Loudninja said:
Ok the combat is much better than Uncharted, the melee is really improve, the stealth kills are fun and useful, you can still use them even when they spotted you.The gunplay feels better as well to me, everything seems better.

The guns sound alot better as well,the friendly AI is much much better than Uncharted.
I really, really miss Brutal combos. I want my double ammo, give it back! :(

but the stealth kills are great. if anything, I wish there were more areas in the game I could just sneak my way through.

I managed to do so in
the outdoor area with the secret entrance under the tree in Chapter 23 or so

Hmm...I love crysis and all, especially the gameplay...but people who say it is still untouchable graphically make me scratch my head...eye candy is more than just technical power...on a micro level I definitely don't think crysis is unbeatable... Funny thing is alot of people have played crysis by now and are just as qualified to give an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom