• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It seems teh barrellama will be pleazed. I will miss the mushroom cloud explosions though.
gladtomeetya.gif

If you miss the mushroom cloud, shouldn't it be :kittonwyindifferent:? :p

--

I really do hope that ND is reading this and are putting a metal bar handjob in here. I mean, we got the 1/2 tuck back, I hope elena does that again. Plz Naughty Gods :D

Girsej

Where did everybody go? Everyone couldn't have finished downloading at the same time, right? Dammit, if I wasn't so sick that I can't aim straight I'd be there playing with everyone.

arne

Wow, nice job KilgoreTrout. love the style of the OP. good stuff. hopefully i can find some more time to keep up with this thread even though I'm traveling around europe for the game!

Majora

00011000 said:
this is the first game in recent memory that has gotten such high critical acclaim from so many independent sources, and for the first time... I feel the scores are warranted!

Unlike GTA4 & Halo 3.

Mario Galaxy?

But yeah, I really didn't expect this to do so well. Like other people have said I thought the original was an 8/10 kind of game but by all accounts everyone seems to be saying it's much improved. I wouldn't be surprised if the metacritic eventually drops by a couple of points but it's still way higher than I expected.

Dizzan

MINI Member
arne said:
Wow, nice job KilgoreTrout. love the style of the OP. good stuff. hopefully i can find some more time to keep up with this thread even though I'm traveling around europe for the game!

Tough life for some eh?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hate when you get to the sequel, and then the main two characters who got together in the first installment have split up and the game spends time hashing out differences just so the same plot device can be re-used. :lol Ah well, game looks epic.

arne said:

Tough gig ;)

I'm happy for you guys at Naughty Dog for the review success so far. It's making up for the relative lukewarm reception UC1 got, even though it did get pretty good scores.

arne said:
The gods of gaming have approved of the offering. BTW awesome OP Kilgore. 14 days guys! :D

I love the open environments they added in this game. The video of the village is so charming(reminds me of FF). are there more environments/villages like this?

arne said:

Tell the Dogs Congrats for me Arne! Hope this game sells like crazy and continues to review well!

arne said:

You guys have to be popping bottles of champagne and throwing gold coins out your office windows to all the beggars below after these latest reviews.

Balboa said:
26th?? 16th??? I thought it was the 28th! THE SOONER THE BETTER, oh man I can't wait

Dude I was wrong its the 28th! Im going to kill my damn brother.

videos from co-op aren't saved?

I wanted make a clip that shows how terrible the stranglers are. In one game, there was like a chain of five that kept grabbing crushdance and I kept having to save him. While I was punching the previous one, the next guy was already on him :lol

I bet in this game Drake and Elena allllmost kiss, but something interrupts them at the last second. It's going to be one of those Mulder and Scully things where they seem made for each other but they never actually get together.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I hope the unbelievable review scores translate into unbelievable sales for ND. They really deserve it and dammit, I want Uncharted 3!

Dizzan said:
I hope the unbelievable review scores translate into unbelievable sales for ND. They really deserve it and dammit, I want Uncharted 3!

The first did 2.6 mil as of E3, pretty good I would say.

Uncharted 3 should be a PS4 launch title damnit. ND work on Jak 4 and a new IP or 2 for PS3, if they wanna do an Uncharted game, do a side adventure on PSP.

Macintosh360

Neo Member
I am a huge Xbox 360 gamer, but I loved the first Uncharted (to this day the only game I have completed all the way through on my PS3) so during E3 and PAX I just had to check out the game, and I came away so excited for the single player. The multiplayer beta didn't really do it for me, in any form or fashion, but the single player - oh wow - this game is just as good as the early reviews are stating, and that's from a Xbox 360 fanboy so you know it's gotta be true.....

Macintosh360 said:
I am a huge Xbox 360 gamer, but I loved the first Uncharted (to this day the only game I have completed all the way through on my PS3) so during E3 and PAX I just had to check out the game, and I came away so excited for the single player. The multiplayer beta didn't really do it for me, in any form or fashion, but the single player - oh wow - this game is just as good as the early reviews are stating, and that's from a Xbox 360 fanboy so you know it's gotta be true.....

For me this game is all about the SP. I thought the MP was clever enough but it didn't hold my attention for very long.

Bricfa

Has there been any kind of ad campaign for Uncharted 2? I swear I haven't seen a single commercial for this thing. Or did all the ad money go to the reviewers?

RoboPlato said:
Adam Sessler's review has me super pumped.

Holy shit.

http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/57025/Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves/review/
I listened to it, but didn't watch it. There was like footage I didn't even see in that review. He was totally gushing, and I can sense that he was being truthful. I knew that this game is going to be amazing, but he solidified that it will be. What's awesome is that I'm totally in love with the multiplayer. I got to Level 50, and I had to actually stop myself from playing more because I want to save at least some of my playtime for the actual game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bricfa said:
Has there been any kind of ad campaign for Uncharted 2? I swear I haven't seen a single commercial for this thing. Or did all the ad money go to the reviewers?

Subtle...

It's not out for another, what..2+ weeks? That said, in the UK they're apparently starting already with a run-up campaign on TV. That's fairly rare I think, having TV ads air for a game that far in advance. It supposedly figures big as part of the overall slim campaign also.

So...wait and see I guess. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Sony's most heavily promoted game this year.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Bricfa said:

Well thought out post. Who'd you pay to write it?

Banned
AranhaHunter said:

Uncharted 3 should be a PS4 launch title damnit. ND work on Jak 4 and a new IP or 2 for PS3, if they wanna do an Uncharted game, do a side adventure on PSP.

I hope ND don't work on new IP or a Jak game. I want them to focus on giving us an even better experience in Uncharted 3. I think there are plenty of legs left in this franchise, and by the sounds of Amy Hennig, they look to continue the story if the success is there.

Drake et al are so well developed as characters already, I would hate for ND to go back to the drawing board to come up with a whole new set of characters just for the sake of it. And that's what it would be, because Uncharted really is a a culmination of everything ND have been working towards since the PSone.

I think a huge reason why every major Mario and Zelda game is so good is because Nintendo gets to refine the gameplay through each iteration and not have to worry about character development so much.

Dizzan

MINI Member
AranhaHunter said:

Yeah great numbers but a lot of them were copies that were sold at heavily discounted prices. Here in Australia you can pick it up for 39 bucks (full price is around $99).

Hopefully there will be a lot of people who rented the first that actually pick this up during the launch window.

gogogow

This wasn't important with UC: DF since the first one didn't have MP, but the 2nd one does.

So, aynone know if UC2 will have worldwide servers or does it depend on the copy of the game you have (US/EU/JP). I still don't know which version to pre-order.

Bricfa

gofreak said:
Subtle...

It's not out for another, what..2+ weeks? That said, in the UK they're apparently starting already with a run-up campaign on TV. That's fairly rare I think, having TV ads air for a game that far in advance. It supposedly figures big as part of the overall slim campaign also.

So...wait and see I guess. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Sony's most heavily promoted game this year.

Hopefully we should start seeing some ads soon then, and hopefully they won't be as terrible as the original Uncharted ads.

I'm not trying to dis the games quality by that comment by the way, I'd trust naughty dog with my soul. I just don't trust gaming journalists.

lupinko

gogogow said:
This wasn't important with UC: DF since the first one didn't have MP, but the 2nd one does.

So, aynone know if UC2 will have worldwide servers or does it depend on the copy of the game you have (US/EU/JP). I still don't know which version to pre-order.

SCEWWS games usually have world servers, I guess the MP beta maybe able to explain the situation.
That or wait for arne to post.

I can safely say this generation has been mostly a let-down for me so far. I own both a PS3 and a 360 and was a huge fan of PS2. I suppose the PS2 pretty much spoiled me with so many AAA titles on the system I never got bored and was always hyped about some new game coming out. Not trying to sound like Sessler, RE4 on the GC and PS2 was the best single player experience I've had since FF7, period. The game was just incredible from start to finish all 10+ times I played it. I'm not expecting a gameplay experience beyond that but, it looks like we may get it this gen. From reading all the reviews, and seeing all the screens and game-play so far, Uncharted 2 is already pulling me out of the denial stage I've been in since this generation started. I'm not going to deny myself the hype this game, hopefully, deserves and instead of being part of the problem I'm placing my pre-order now.

Great thread OP.
Fantastic Job ND.

Time to go back and recalibrate my setup in time for the game.

tirminyl

I think every site should point to Gaf for excellent compiled OP's for game releases. I honestly want to print the OP's and add it to my game manual!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Feels good, man.
Seriously, everyone @ ND must be sooooooooo proud of their baby right now. I can just sense it.

Does anybody else dislike this "multiplayer only" demo trend? I can't get an idea about what the game is like when it forces you cold into a random multiplayer match. Thankfully with this one, I already have a good idea about what I'll get at the end of the day because of Drake's Fortune... I am not primarily interested in the multiplayer aspect of the game, so bleh to that -- guess I'll just have to wait for the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom