• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Rez said:

22736415.png

Brianemone said:
In complete honesty I can say that I can't remember another game that I have ever played that I have enjoyed as much as Uncharted 2.

Naughty Dog should give themselves a huge pat on the back, it was something truly special.

You played it?

Just wanted to say kiss my ass, to anyone who hated on the idea of Uncharted 2 including multiplayer. I knew it was a key component in keeping the first one from getting the attention it deserved

... my man.

The-Warning said:
You played it?

Yip.

Absolutely stunning. I actually put a swear word in my review, I don't even swear when I am talking and usually edit out bad language from the reviews/previews for the site, just ask Feep how many F bombs got cut from his Scribblenauts review when it went up.

Zeliard said:
Probably the beta/demo everyone else has been playing. It's a substantial one.

As above, plus, it's only the second game that I've ever played through all night (finished at 4:30am) and it went so damn quickly (in terms of having fun and not noticing how early it was getting)

-viper-

Banned
Rez said:
on the down side, the last game that got so many straight tens, GTAIV, was a massive disappointment.

one the plus side, this is uncharted
let's be honest... GTA games are boring as shit.

Uncharted 1 on the other hand was a blockbuster experience. The second game looks better in every way possible.

LaneDS

6,500 on the MP demo, very nice. I feel a little bad playing with fresh players, not that I'm all that good, but I know the maps well enough to abuse them a little bit.

I wonder if Naughty Dog has DLC planned for the game. Game has a lot of potential so I hope they support the MP past launch.

Thrakier said:
Are you a big fan of MP games in general? Because I really think that the MP is excellent. It could stand on it's own, it's not just a "add on" to the SP. It's like the perfect mix of arcade and strategic gameplay with great map design, great game modes, great netcode, great vertical gameplay...and it's so lighthearted and fun and nice to look at.

For the most part no not on consoles. The only mp game I was addicted to was KZ2 / Gears 2 though the addiction ran its course in about 2 months on both games. Gears cause it was broken as shit | KZ2 because it was mildly broken as shit and lack of a party system in this day and age.

The MP in UCD2 just feels heavy to me if that makes any sense. I don't feel like I can move real well. I am sure its just me but that is how I came away from it.

AniHawk

Lord Error said:
Now we just need Anihawk to reconcile with his long lost love for ND (history scholars would tell you that he liked them back then in Jak 1 days...)

I wasn't terribly impressed by the demo (although I only played co-op and the versus mode thing). Needed more climbing/exploration and far less shooting stuff. I got all excited when it became this cool co-op 3D platforming game, but that was extremely short lived.

Zeliard

AniHawk said:
I wasn't terribly impressed by the demo (although I only played co-op and the versus mode thing). Needed more climbing/exploration and far less shooting stuff. I got all excited when it became this cool co-op 3D platforming game, but that was extremely short lived.

I'm hoping for a lot more of that.

The only thing that would really kill this game for me is if the gameplay is unbalanced between gunplay and platforming/exploring again this time around.

LaneDS

Zeliard said:
I'm hoping for a lot more of that.

The only thing that would really kill this game for me is if the gameplay is unbalanced between gunplay and platforming/exploring again this time around.

Unbalanced how? Like more gunplay than platforming? Because ND said it'd be about 60/40 for gunplay/exploring this go round, versus about 70/30 in the first game. Assuming that's what you meant and all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got around to having a try of the cinema mode. I really like the amount of options available.

Setting the FOV really high, and the focal range somewhere in the middle, and a slight camera tilt gives a really nice effect when I zoom around the village map, following the guy who was clearly dominating our team. :lol

That's another nice perk of cinema modes, you can see how people better than you play. Saved films was one of my favourite things in Halo 3, it's really nice to see other games finally picking it up, and perhaps even taking it one step further in some areas.

Zeliard

LaneDS said:
Unbalanced how? Like more gunplay than platforming? Because ND said it'd be about 60/40 for gunplay/exploring this go round, versus about 70/30 in the first game. Assuming that's what you meant and all.

Yeah, that's what I meant. And that ratio sounds good to me if it holds. Some of the reviews make note that there's more exploration and more "quiet moments" this time around, to break up the combat and pace it all more effectively. Eurogamer's review starts off with something about that, actually.

LaneDS

Zeliard said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. And that ratio sounds good to me if it holds. Some of the reviews make note that there's more exploration and more quiet moments this time around, to pace it all more effectively. Eurogamer's review starts off with something about that, actually.

Ah gotcha. And yeah, sounds like it was somewhat of a concern for ND as well, and from impressions/reviews it seems like the exploring and puzzle solving is better than what was found in the first game too.

We'll see how true that is in two weeks though.

whoa, did that release date move up?
It's the same day as Brutal Legend! I knew it was close but I didn't think it was the same day, I would have remembered that (maybe). Wow, I honestly don't know if I can handle that much awesome at once. I also don't remember the last time I plicked up two games this big on the same day before.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I like that 'super natural elements' are making a return. I loved the last quarter of Uncharted.

BobTheFork said:
whoa, did that release date move up?
It's the same day as Brutal Legend! I knew it was close but I didn't think it was the same day, I would have remembered that (maybe). Wow, I honestly don't know if I can handle that much awesome at once. I also don't remember the last time I plicked up two games this big on the same day before.
us lowly Australians are forced to pick them up on separate days, which is just as well, seeing as how I have an exam on the eighteenth. (eek)

I have a break starting from the 9th as reading week for the University and i am going to try to finish the first one that i bought 2 years ago before the 2nd one comes out. Bless me GAF!

Rez said:
I like that 'super natural elements' are making a return. I loved the last quarter of Uncharted.

us lowly Australians are forced to pick them up on separate days, which is just as well, seeing as how I have an exam on the eighteenth. (eek)
All that means to me is that stone they are looking for actually works, which I think was obvious.
All my midterms and test will have just ended then. I should have a good two days to go carazy on the games. The real question will be which one first, and how often do you which.

Arnie

Rez said:

I was about to post the complete opposite of this. It's surprising how that twist can divide an audience so succinctly.

Dragon

Banned
Rez said:

Yeah the second time through the
Nazi bunker
, I didn't want to go further because I forgot how the level was set up and didn't want to jump five feet in the air haha.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
KilgoreTrout said:
Well, people who like ice, the banner has changed to meet your needs.

It will change again though in a few days.
The new banner is cool as ice homie. Like it better than the old one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KilgoreTrout said:
Well, people who like ice, the banner has changed to meet your needs.

It will change again though in a few days.
you should set it up as a rolling image (every refresh of the page shows a different image). :)

Brianemone said:
In complete honesty I can say that I can't remember another game that I have ever played that I have enjoyed as much as Uncharted 2.

Naughty Dog should give themselves a huge pat on the back, it was something truly special.

That coming from you means alot to me Brian especially because, youve been a somewhat tough critic from the reviews Ive read from you.

Raistlin

AranhaHunter said:
The first did 2.6 mil as of E3, pretty good I would say.

Uncharted 3 should be a PS4 launch title damnit. ND work on Jak 4 and a new IP or 2 for PS3, if they wanna do an Uncharted game, do a side adventure on PSP.

ND has always purposefully avoided launches iirc.

They like to take some time to wrap their heads around the new HW.

AniHawk said:

It has a lot moer climbing than the first one, and it's of a far better quality as well, less obvious but also enjoyable and exciting at the same time.

Rez said:

I spoke to one of the producers about it (back at E3) and semi off the record we talked about the design decisions and whether or not ND saw the Uncharted world as having supernatural elements or purely based off the possible realms of "reality". He said that they saw the creatures in Uncharted 1 as being the descendants of the inhabitants of the island (inbreeding perhaps?)

Obviously there will be more to discuss around this area when spoilers aren't a concern for the second game.

neojubei said:
I think a few people already made that comment

Thank you for keeping such good track of the thread. Have you likewise informed all of the people making duplicate "awesome op!" and "awesome review" type posts? Remain vigilant!

Dra-Q

Banned
Nice, ranked 24th today and thanks to the open-beta we got a lot more newbies to shoot at :lol

I <3 the MP sooo much.

traveler

Not Wario
Pretty surprised by this reception. I thought the first game was the very definition of solid, but not spectacular, with beautiful graphics, a nice Indy-like story (if a bit too reliant on the cut scenes when it came to telling the story) braindead puzzles and platforming, and shooting that, while functional, lacked the "feel" and AI that gives the best shooters their greatness. (Highlighted all the more by its encounters, which seemed to run on a bit too long most of the time)

This one must be a pretty substantial improvement, then, to be earning the praise it is. Wasn't planning on picking it up, but if the As just keep rolling in, I'll certainly give it a go.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
elrechazao said:
Thank you for keeping such good track of the thread. Have you likewise informed all of the people making duplicate "awesome op!" and "awesome review" type posts? Remain vigilant!

You have a shot to make the same comment when the Edge review comes out. Don't fret.

Oh and Awesome OP!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/1up-game-night

1up playing through one of the new multiplayer maps not in the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom