• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
played my first match. It was gold rush with three other random people. Dear god...

We lost on level 6-7 I think, but wow this was ridiculously fun and intense. I can't get how good this game runs/looks and it's only the fricken MULTIPLAYER. I think I've had more fun playing this than the Left 4 Dead Survivor mode. I think what it comes down to is that Naughty Dog polished the hell out of this and there is so much you can do in terms of taking out enemies in gold rush. In addition, Naughty Dog adds little things that intensify the matches and it goes adds great amounts to the impressiveness factor (screen shaking from rocket going off right by you, the physics and objects/bodies taking off when you throw a grenade at an enemy, the sound effects/quality, particle effects, etc). The action was quick/intense, the controls (I noticed) were tighter/better than the 1st Uncharted, and most importantly it was very fun. Both of my teammates had mics and it was a blast.

Now, what I'm going to say you make find offensive or blunt, but if you like shooting games like gears, etc and you have a PS3, if you do not buy this game (and you are looking to buy a good game), you're a fucking idiot. Take it as rude or w/e you want, but I don't get how some people saying this multiplayer is just OK when from what I've played is up there with Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

edit: and the game was completely lag free...

Alex

I liked the original UC, but I didn't view it to be some amazing experience. It was a nice polished up PoP/GoW (GoW heavy) mix that had nice, sparky dialogue and set pieces but it was short, no real re playability and ended on a fairly unmemorable note.

If it had Drake/Elena co-op and a higher skew of platforming then I'd probably think a LOT more highly of it.:)

Uncharted 2 however, I am already completely fucking infatuated with. This multiplayer demo is amazing. There are VERY VERY few competitive games that really thrill me very much, and this, at least as of now, is one of them.

I just hope it keeps getting supported, because it's fun as hell, it feels unique, the maps are amazing and the balance feels great. I could see this going in my all-star competitive shooter list that seems to get updated less and less of:

-Q2 (PC)
-UT99 (PC)
-Tribes (PC)
-Tribes 2 (PC)
-RTCW (Xbox)
-ET (PC)
-TF2 (PC)

rhino4evr

so i hadnt updated my PS3 in months and did too download the demo...WOW..look at all the twinkling lights in the dash..very impressive.

Onix said:
I didn't see anything mentioned in the OP ... is there any sort of collectors or special edition of the game?

In AU and some other PAL territories.

There's the Fortune Hunter Edition too, but that's not available for purchase.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, of the three reviews I've actually read (IGN, EG, 1UP), the Eurogamer one was the best. Nyguen fell back on the whole "I don't want to spoil the story etc etc" thing a bit too much.

Kittonwy

Banned
traveler said:
Pretty surprised by this reception. I thought the first game was the very definition of solid, but not spectacular, with beautiful graphics, a nice Indy-like story (if a bit too reliant on the cut scenes when it came to telling the story) braindead puzzles and platforming, and shooting that, while functional, lacked the "feel" and AI that gives the best shooters their greatness. (Highlighted all the more by its encounters, which seemed to run on a bit too long most of the time)

This one must be a pretty substantial improvement, then, to be earning the praise it is. Wasn't planning on picking it up, but if the As just keep rolling in, I'll certainly give it a go.

The AI was awesome in Uncharted.

Raistlin

00011000 said:
I hope ND don't work on new IP or a Jak game. I want them to focus on giving us an even better experience in Uncharted 3. I think there are plenty of legs left in this franchise, and by the sounds of Amy Hennig, they look to continue the story if the success is there.

Drake et al are so well developed as characters already, I would hate for ND to go back to the drawing board to come up with a whole new set of characters just for the sake of it. And that's what it would be, because Uncharted really is a a culmination of everything ND have been working towards since the PSone.

I think a huge reason why every major Mario and Zelda game is so good is because Nintendo gets to refine the gameplay through each iteration and not have to worry about character development so much.

I'm quite sure they aren't done with Drake and Co. That said, it's very possible they want to take a breather from the game and explore some other ideas. You wouldn't want them to get burned out would you? :p

Think of the Nintendo titles you mentioned. While a few of the titles were back-to-back, and therefore a refinement of the previous (ala U2 from U1), they also took breaks in the series to do other things. When they came back, they had a fresh vision for the games and kept the franchises relevant by taking them in new directions.

BruceLeeRoy said:

From the review:

"The quality of the storytelling, from visual fidelity to the writing, embarrasses other games"

damn :lol

JB1981

reKon said:
played my first match. It was gold rush with three other random people. Dear god...

if you do not buy this game (and you are looking to buy a good game), you're a fucking idiot. Take it as rude or w/e you want, but I don't get how some people saying this multiplayer is just OK when from what I've played is up there with Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

Pretty much

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the little sound bite that plays over the "Sony Present" screen in U2 is nowhere near as cool as the "do-do-do-do dehhhhhh" from U1.

Therefore, U1 > U2.

Tom Penny

Is goldrush the mode they keep referring to it's own version of firefight and horde or is there another mode? None of the reviews seem to flat out say goldrush in the reviews.

aasoncott said:
Yes, it's the golden guns.
Actually, I went to get it, and it is not the golden guns.

I dunno if the OP should have this information. Futureshop (probably Canada only) has exclusive Uncharted 2 XMB Theme.
29ngqvq.jpg

I don't know how valid it is even though it is in my hands because I can't redeem it just yet. I haven't heard anything about an XMB theme.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Tom Penny said:
Is goldrush the mode they keep referring to it's own version of firefight and horde or is there another mode? None of the reviews seem to flat out say goldrush in the reviews.

It's basically 3 player Plunder/Horde. Capture the treasure while surviving 10 waves of enemies.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dralla said:
Why are so many reviews being put out when they've only played the single player?
a) they've had access to either the beta or some other press-only servers
b) nobody cares about the multiplayer enough for it to affect their overall impression of the game. which is fair enough, in my opinion.

Kittonwy said:
The AI was awesome in Uncharted.

The only real complaint I can see anyone pinning against the AI of Uncharted is how they reacted (or didnt react) to grenades. However, it was more of a blessing than a curse:lol

Nizz

reKon said:

We lost on level 6-7 I think, but wow this was ridiculously fun and intense. I can't get how good this game runs/looks and it's only the fricken MULTIPLAYER. I think I've had more fun playing this than the Left 4 Dead Survivor mode. I think what it comes down to is that Naughty Dog polished the hell out of this and there is so much you can do in terms of taking out enemies in gold rush. In addition, Naughty Dog adds little things that intensify the matches and it goes a long why in to the impressiveness factor (screen shaking from rocket going off right by you, the physics and objects/bodies taking off when you throw a grenade at an enemy, the sound effects/quality). The action was quick/intense, the controls (I noticed) were tighter than the 1st Uncharted, and most importantly it was very fun. Both of my teammates had mics and it was a blast.

Now, what I'm going to say you make find offensive or blunt, but if you like shooting games like gears, etc and you have a PS3, if you do not buy this game (and you are looking to buy a good game), you're a fucking idiot. Take it as rude or w/e you want, but I don't get how some people saying this multiplayer is just OK when from what I've played is up there with Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

Thanks for the impressions. That's high praise right there. I'm downloading the demo now and will give it a shot as soon as Sons of Anarchy is over! :lol

I was debating not playing the demo to keep the experience fresh, but I don't know when I'll have the money to buy this and I want to at least try it.

I think I know what I'll hit my brother up for Christmas for. ;)

Rez said:
b) nobody cares about the multiplayer enough for it to affect their overall impression of the game. which is fair enough, in my opinion.

Right, what they seem to be saying is it doesnt matter if the MP is any good because the SP is just THAT GOOD. Which is the best news for me in 2 years.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's funny that the map I like the least, the city-square level (who's name escapes me), is the one I seem to continually get sorted into.

I really want to play more Temple and Village, dammit!

dralla

Rez said:

I know, but the MP seem pretty robust, you think it would be something to talk about. Especially since there's a lot of people out there who won't touch a game unless it has an online mode. It's just strange to me because I can't remember the last time this has happened. I bet it MW2 won't get the same treatment, hm

reKon said:

We lost on level 6-7 I think, but wow this was ridiculously fun and intense. I can't get how good this game runs/looks and it's only the fricken MULTIPLAYER. I think I've had more fun playing this than the Left 4 Dead Survivor mode. I think what it comes down to is that Naughty Dog polished the hell out of this and there is so much you can do in terms of taking out enemies in gold rush. In addition, Naughty Dog adds little things that intensify the matches and it goes a long why in to the impressiveness factor (screen shaking from rocket going off right by you, the physics and objects/bodies taking off when you throw a grenade at an enemy, the sound effects/quality). The action was quick/intense, the controls (I noticed) were tighter than the 1st Uncharted, and most importantly it was very fun. Both of my teammates had mics and it was a blast.

Oh god, I love gold rush. You really really really have to work as a team and keep close. On hard and crushing it is brutal :lol

Add me, I am on 'the list'

Yoboman

TheExecutive said:
Right, what they seem to be saying is it doesnt matter if the MP is any good because the SP is just THAT GOOD. Which is the best news for me in 2 years.
Which is funny because if it didn't have multiplayer it'd be getting panned hard for it. Seems like reviewers approve of the checkpoint more than the actual quality of the MP product for most cases

dralla said:
I know, but the MP seem pretty robust, you think it would be something to talk about. Especially since there's a lot of people out there who won't touch a game unless it has an online mode. It's just strange to me because I can't remember the last time this has happened. I bet it MW2 won't get the same treatment, hm

Never will understand that. Oh yeah, and I don't want to take away from the MP because a lot of thought went into the gameplay and it is fun as hell. The beta shows this...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it just has to do with each reviewers own pre-conceived perceptions of what the game is, in the end.

People lsee Infinity Ward's COD as one of the best console shooters available, whereas Uncharted has always been seen as a single-player sort of thing.

Maybe, if U2's multiplayer is successful, U3's multiplayer will get more attention. Who knows?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Seems like this will be hands down the best PS3 game so far.

I dunno yet, but I do know now that I enjoy the frequency with which we can express that very same sentiment.

dralla said:
I bet it MW2 won't get the same treatment, hm

If it's anything like MW1, not getting "this treatment" will probably work in its favor.

Besides, several critics have offered detailed multiplayer impressions, which makes sense given that all of the base modes have been available for some time. So even if they haven't eve had a chance to play the full set, they would have a good idea of what the MP is like.

Alex

I like all of the maps in the demo, but the one I do like least is that night time city one. I rarely like night time anything though.

Ice cave and village are amazing examples of great map design, though. For never really doing a full blown multiplayer like this before, it's amazing how balanced it seems to be and how fantastic the maps are.

WOW. I can NOT wait. I anticipate that this will be my GOTY.

I was a little surprised that Gamepro gave it a 5/5 after reading the review though, as it had seemed to complain quite a bit. With that said, that is the only review ( of the 10 or so) that I read that seemed to spend a significant amount of time regarding complaints

Why did Naughty Dog put the grenade launcher AND missile launcher in multi? Fuck, it always kills it. Getting blown up and then hearing the giggles of a manchild in his underwear. So lame. Shield also seems kind of overpowered.

Other than that, pretty damn fun so far.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
CartridgeBlower said:
Why did Naughty Dog put the grenade launcher AND missile launcher in multi? Fuck, it always kills it. Getting blown up and then hearing the giggles of a manchild in his underwear. So lame. Shield also seems mad overpowered.

Yea that sucks but when you are on the other end of the grenade launcher making your kill, it is all so sweet!

Rizob

I was having a little look at one of my games tonight in the Cinema mode and-

uncharted2a.jpg

:lol

Seems pretty fun so far though, although i'm still not a fan of the gunplay.

LaneDS

JSnake said:
Does the main theme remind anyone else of Miyazaki films?

I love the main theme and the Uncharted music in general, but I do not get any sort of Joe Hisashi vibe from the music.

nib95

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I assume the Eurogamer review has already been posted?

10/10. Awesome. I love Eurogamer's writing. They sound more like writers/journalists than gamers who try and write.

Pretty surprised it got a 10. Not a big fan of Eurogamer though. A little in-consistent and off the mark (in comparison to my own tastes). I wonder what Edge will give U2?

Anyway, 98% average on Metacritic. Wow. So far it's looking like IGN's score of 95% (which many shrugged off with theories of unscrupulous handling based on exclusivity) is actually on the lower end of the average!

Amir0x

Banned
Wow the multiplayer is fucking amazing. Extremely well balanced, very low lag, relatively quick matchmaking, incredible diversity in gameplay options, amazing visuals, lots of variety, fantastic map design in the few we got, intense little flourishes that really give each mode a unique flavor (holy shit at helicopter popping in to put holes in me), obscene amount of technical options, JESUS CHRIST-O.

If the singleplayer is half as good as multiplayer I think I may just be sold on the hype.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Don't be afraid Rizob. That's just the formation of a black-hole from all the awesomeness.

Edit:
Amir0x said:
Wow the multiplayer is fucking amazing. Extremely well balanced, very low lag, relatively quick matchmaking, incredible diversity in gameplay options, amazing visuals, lots of variety, fantastic map design in the few we got, intense little flourishes that really give each mode a unique flavor (holy shit at helicopter popping in to put holes in me), obscene amount of technical options, JESUS CHRIST-O.

If the singleplayer is half as good as multiplayer I think I may just be sold on the hype.
YJDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom