• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Oh shut up about Gamespy. I'd hate to see how you guys react when somewhere gives it an 8.something ... I can only hope the game is out by then cause the crying seems to lessen significantly then

Igo

Ashes1396 said:
Sorry but I'm going to have to be patronising. Stated simply, he is saying that if you bought a ps3, simply for exclusives, your time has arrived.

He appears to be implying that Uncharted 2 is a worthy exclusive.

It's bs though. Who is that quote speaking for. I bought my ps3 for exclusives and have been enjoying them thoroughly since mgs4 and the original uncharted. All his quote does it put previous ps3 exclusives in a bad light and implies that I was misguided in my initial opinions of those games.

I haven't read the whole review as I don't want to give gamespy any hits.

nib95

Banned
Shurs said:
We only have the review text as a point of reference when looking at the score. While I understand what Anthony Galegos is saying in his review, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what he was trying to say with the last sentence of his review.

My take on that line is he is essentially saying, finally an exclusive worth owning a PS3 for. Which is a bit of a cop out really. That and "best single player PS3 experience", followed by a 4.5. I just wish reviewers would leave the whole "finally time to buy a PS3" crap behind. It's like they're still stuck in 2007. Clearly Gamespy didn't get the memo or they have a pretty bad memory, since you know, they gave pretty good scores to MGS4, KZ2, LBP etc.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I liked it back when review meltdowns came courtesy of people annoyed by the game scoring too high. Can we at least save the drama for the inevitable 7/10s?

Those will be fun. We're still waiting for EDGE, right? :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Fortress is my favourite area in Uncharted. I love how interconnected it all is. When you're scaling the buildings and see areas you've previously visited, or combat arenas you've long since cleared, or you run across a high up spot and see areas you're yet to visit, but know you'll be visiting soon, or you run through the prison that you later break out of which is, incidentally, correctly placed for the break out scene and car chase, which leads straight through the area you visit right after the jail, it just gives off the impression that a lot of care was put into building the levels.

It's the little things you appreciate when you play it more than once. I hope U2 has at least one centralised location like this.

Kittonwy

Banned
Yoboman said:
Oh shut up about Gamespy. I'd hate to see how you guys react when somewhere gives it an 8.something ... I can only hope the game is out by then cause the crying seems to lessen significantly then

Beer party?
angry.gif

Ashes

Banned
@shurs: Apologies for condescending tone earlier.
What you said was my first reaction as well. But then I thought its been deliberately edited to be ambiguous. He could have just added the words 'finally'. And that shows some maturity.
I think he reviewed Siren Blood Curse (I could be wrong) and said something similar. It wasn't perfect, but it was very good and gave it an A.

It's really not fair to judge a review by other reviews posted on a particular site, but it's so easy to do and get caught up in. When sites are reviewing a game as buggy as NFS:Shift as perfect, it's kind of disheartening to see a game that you feel deserves a higher score to get a lower one. It's an easy trap to fall into. It's not fair, and it's not right, but it is frustrating in some respects.

I think if sites want to give their readers a sense of integrity in their review process they need to effectively limit incidents of this, but it's all up to the individual reviewer, and they also have to respect their writers. People will be upset and bitch, but at the end of the day it's not that big a deal. Plus, it's still a goddamn 90%. People just post impulsively, that's the nature of the internet. There's nothing wrong with it.

Shurs

Ashes1396 said:
@shurs: Apologies for condescending tone earlier.
What you said was my first reaction as well. But then I thought its been deliberately edited to be ambiguous. He could have just added the words 'finally'. And that shows some maturity.
I think he reviewed Siren Blood Curse (I could be wrong) and said something similar. It wasn't perfect, but it was very good and gave it an A.

No worries.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man... official threads are such fucking garbage during the review phase.

HooCares

Neo Member
Kittonwy said:
Or we can talk about the beta which is awesome.
KlintIndifference.gif

Let's do it.

Spent about an hour playing the beta/demo for the first time last night. Overall I liked it a lot. The maps, graphics, and gunplay were awesome.

Only complaint is that the bullets are slow. At any kind of range it's just too hard to hit people. I was aiming with the 3 round burst gun using the red-dot and it was hopeless.

The controls overall though are much tighter than Uncharted 1. Will buy. Just a question of when...

Nafai1123

Banned
MGS4: "Finally, a reason to buy a PS3!"
KZ2: "Finally, a reason to buy a PS3!!"
Uncharted 2: "Finally, a reason to buy a PS3!!!"
GOW3: "Finally..."

...yea

HooCares said:
Let's do it.

Spent about an hour playing the beta/demo for the first time last night. Overall I liked it a lot. The maps, graphics, and gunplay were awesome.

Only complaint is that the bullets are slow. At any kind of range it's just too hard to hit people. I was aiming with the 3 round burst gun using the red-dot and it was hopeless.

The controls overall though are much tighter than Uncharted 1. Will buy. Just a question of when...

It does take a while to get used to the shooting in this game. It took me a good week to not die all the time :lol . Just keep plugging away and always keep moving.

timkunedo

Firewire said:
I shot a guy in the back of the head 4 times last night, then he turned and killed me with one shot. I was pretty pissed.

yeah i guess headshots don't really mean anything in regular multiplayer, but they are one shot kills in coop. Weird, but oh well. Doesn't ruin anything for me. I played with some buddies last night and had a freakin blast!!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Firewire said:
I shot a guy in the back of the head 4 times last night, then he turned and killed me with one shot. I was pretty pissed.

Shotguns and pistoles are 1 hit kills when up close. AK-47 and FAL are underpowered. Simply find the Desert Eagle, M4, or Dragon Sniper.

rhino4evr

Nafai1123 said:

...yea

I thought Little Big Planet was "the reason"

oh no wait..it was the included Blu Ray player...that's right.

Nafai1123 said:

...yea

Sounds familiar.

"Im waiting to its $350"
"...................its $299"
"...................its $250"
"$200 w/ extra DS3 or bust"

basically they get a STFU.

I hate the Eurogamer review. Nothing against the 10/10, I'm sure the game deserves it, but the way it's written seems like a pathetic attempt by the reviewer to create a portfolio piece in the hope that he'll one day get an interview for EDGE.

I don't know the guy, don't know anything about what he's written in the past or his experiences in the games industry, but reading that review really pissed me off, for reasons I still can't quite identify.

I read it and came away with no new information, it just seems very over-written. Which is a shame, because I like Eurogamer's review usually.

Still, 10/10 is clear enough, I suppose. I don't know why it bothered me so much, but I had to write somewhere about it. Now that I have I can get back to looking for a good deal on a PS3 and the game.

LaneDS

I am tired of review discussion. The game is obviously fantastic, can't we just be happy with that? I know the answer, but still.

...now where's that Gametrailers review?

Firewire

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Shotguns and pistoles are 1 hit kills when up close. AK-47 and FAL are underpowered. Simply find the Desert Eagle, M4, or Dragon Sniper.

Well that's the weird thing, it was one of those pistol only matches in the Ice caves, I dropped down a ledge behind the guy who was creeping slowly with a shield, he had no clue I was behind him. I lined him up for a head shot from not even 5 feet behind him and proceeded to fire off 4 shots into the back of his head. That kind of took the wind out of my sails for the night.

Dead Man Typing said:
I hate the Eurogamer review. Nothing against the 10/10, I'm sure the game deserves it, but the way it's written seems like a pathetic attempt by the reviewer to create a portfolio piece in the hope that he'll one day get an interview for EDGE.

I don't know the guy, don't know anything about what he's written in the past or his experiences in the games industry, but reading that review really pissed me off, for reasons I still can't quite identify.

I read it and came away with no new information, it just seems very over-written. Which is a shame, because I like Eurogamer's review usually.

Still, 10/10 is clear enough, I suppose. I don't know why it bothered me so much, but I had to write somewhere about it. Now that I have I can get back to looking for a good deal on a PS3 and the game.
if he wanted an interview with EDGE he wouldn't have given it a 10/10

EXGN

Man, I don't think I've seen such a strong reaction against a review score since IGN game Super Smash Brawl a 9.5 instead of a 10 :lol

deepbrown

Dead Man Typing said:

Really? I think it outclasses most of the other reviews released so far. The rest read like bloggers wrote them. Like the 1up review...pretty bad. The GameSpy and GamePro ones are awful.

The Eurogamer review is one I'd read once I've finished the game...and I'd nod along.

And being the quality of an EDGE review is a compliment.

I think most people have been dumbed down by most video game writing.

Firewire said:
Well that's the weird thing, it was one of those pistol only matches in the Ice caves, I dropped down a ledge behind the guy who was creeping slowly with a shield, he had no clue I was behind him. I lined him up for a head shot from not even 5 feet behind him and proceeded to fire off 4 shots into the back of his head. That kind of took the wind out of my sails for the night.

pistole not pistol. Pistole is different... I think it uses shotgun shells?

rhino4evr

Oh, To demo or not to demo, that it the question.

would love to try it out, but I feel like Id rather play through the SP before I let the MP game effect the experience.

LaneDS

MNC said:
OKAY BACK ON TRACK.

Does co-op follow the same main story or is it some loose missions?

Co-op is a series of missions/levels that are similar to what goes on in the story, but tuned for two or three people to work together through the scenarios.

rhino4evr said:
Oh, To demo or not to demo, that it the question.

would love to try it out, but I feel like Id rather play through the SP before I let the MP game effect the experience.

To be owned or not to be owned at launch, that is the question.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How many online maps are on the retail version ?

Firewire

Banned
TheExecutive said:
pistole not pistol. Pistole is different... I think it uses shotgun shells?

Ok but 4 shots into the back of his head from 5ft away and I don't get the kill? What the hell is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom