• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There is always this drama about review scores and poor writing and wording. I do agree with some of it sometimes. Hearing over and over "the ps3 finally has its killer app" gets really old, since like others have said- Resistance 2, Killzone 2, LBP, MGS4, Uncharted. All these games received the same comments.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TTP said:
7 for competitive multiplayer and co-op arena. Unknown for co-op objective.
Thanks for the info.
See you tonight. yesterday played one CoOp arena match, this games looks fantastic.

Kittonwy

Banned
HooCares said:
Let's do it.

Spent about an hour playing the beta/demo for the first time last night. Overall I liked it a lot. The maps, graphics, and gunplay were awesome.

Only complaint is that the bullets are slow. At any kind of range it's just too hard to hit people. I was aiming with the 3 round burst gun using the red-dot and it was hopeless.

The controls overall though are much tighter than Uncharted 1. Will buy. Just a question of when...

All guns have spread, the FAL rifle is awesome though, basically three burst should net you a kill, but you can't just spray and pray with any gun in this game, if you use short discrete bursts you can actually keep track of whether your shots are hitting or not, I guess that's the advantage of the bullets being slower. Glad you liked the beta.

deepbrown said:
Really? I think it outclasses most of the other reviews released so far. The rest read like bloggers wrote them. Like the 1up review...pretty bad. The GameSpy and GamePro ones are awful.

The Eurogamer review is one I'd read once I've finished the game...and I'd nod along.

And being the quality of an EDGE review is a compliment.

I think most people have been dumbed down by most video game writing.

I didn't say it was EDGE quality, I said "pathetic attempt to create a portfolio piece" that is written in the style of a pretentious EDGE review, with none of the redeeming qualities. Which was probably a little harsh. EDGE (generally) uses more complicated language to explain points in an informative and concise way. This review didn't do that, it just rambled for 3 pages without really telling me anything.

As I mentioned, I can't really explain what annoyed me so much about this particular review. I generally don't read game reviews that much these days, and the Eurogamer review is the only one I've read for Uncharted 2. I could probably analyse it more, but it was just meant to be a short rant. I'll save it for a thread on the quality of game journalism.

Firestorm

Rez said:
to be fair, people (well I can only speak for myself), were saying, more or less, "proceed with caution".

it could have been one of maybe two things. it turned out that, this time, it was a case of Sony wanting a recognisable brand (IGN) to the 13-30 year old male audience who are 'gamers' but mainly only play the Halo and COD games every year, with some exceptions (like, say, Batman), and IGN wanting the extra hits.

people went and got their nose-bent thinking that people were trying to piss on U2's parade, which I can only assume is a result of naivety or insecurity.
Thank you. As the person who was probably the most vocal against IGN's practice of exclusive reviews in that last thread, I said multiple times I thought Uncharted would receive similar scores across the board but the same fucking people seem to ignore that every time.

Why is it so hard to be hyped for an exclusive game without having the extremists make you want to punch them. And by this, I'm also referring to the morons dissecting the GameSpy review for more than what it is.

aegies

Shurs said:
Just to give some context, what games would be 5 out of 5 for you, Arthur.

RE: The Gamespy score: There's nothing wrong with 4.5 out of 5. It's a really good score. Who are we to say how person should think about a game we haven't played?

I was actually thinking about that reading the thread. Um, Bioshock, Fallout 3, God of War 2, HL2 Ep2, A Link to the Past, maybe Halo 3? It's hard to score something retrospectively, because being in the moment is such a big part of grading something like a game. The shift review was written by a different person than Uncharted was, so the comparison there is stupid. Maybe Rory would have given it a 5, but he didn't review it.

And yeah, Nick and I do have a bet that the 360 SKU of Brutal Legend is going to outsell Uncharted 2 in October (for dinner). Not because I want U2 to sell poorly (I don't), but because I don't think the content appeals to the demographic it seems like it's being marketed to in a generalized way. Uncharted reviewed extremely well too, and it didn't sell commensurately with those reviews.

Firestorm said:
Thank you. As the person who was probably the most vocal against IGN's practice of exclusive reviews in that last thread, I said multiple times I thought Uncharted would receive similar scores across the board but the same fucking people seem to ignore that every time.

Why is it so hard to be hyped for an exclusive game without having the extremists make you want to punch them. And by this, I'm also referring to the morons dissecting the GameSpy review for more than what it is.
When people like something a lot, that means it is actually not that good and the people who like it should be ridiculed.

aegies said:
I was actually thinking about that reading the thread. Um, Bioshock, Fallout 3, God of War 2, HL2 Ep2, A Link to the Past, maybe Halo 3? It's hard to score something retrospectively, because being in the moment is such a big part of grading something like a game. The shift review was written by a different person than Uncharted was, so the comparison there is stupid. Maybe Rory would have given it a 5, but he didn't review it.

And yeah, Nick and I do have a bet that the 360 SKU of Brutal Legend is going to outsell Uncharted 2 in October (for dinner). Not because I want U2 to sell poorly (I don't), but because I don't think the content appeals to the demographic it seems like it's being marketed to in a generalized way. Uncharted reviewed extremely well too, and it didn't sell commensurately with those reviews.

Uncharted was also a brand new IP for a very expensive system, launching into a really crowded market. This one should outsell the first with a decent margin based on being released in the wake of the slim/price drop alone. We'll see, my predictions for KZ2 were certainly off, but there's a lot going for this game right now. Bigger audience, including many brand new PS3 owners looking for a game to go along with the system.

polyh3dron said:
inFAMOUS says hi, so does Arkham Asylum.

I liked both a lot but had problems with them. Uncharted 2 will probably be much better, at least to me. inFamous had extremely repetitive missions and way too many enemies to fight every five feet or so. Arkham was very solid, but once I beat it I was pretty much done with it. I think Uncharted 2 will have a much better story mode, hell, I thought the first one did too, and it has an amazing multiplayer component, so no, I don't think either of those games will stack up at all to Uncharted 2, personally.

Firewire said:
Ok but 4 shots into the back of his head from 5ft away and I don't get the kill? What the hell is that?
I honestly don't think headshots make a difference for anything but the Sniper Rifle, and maybe the FAL. I've had times when I know I've fired two or three shots right into someone's face with my pistol, but they don't react any differently to normal bodyshots.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Onix said:
Anyone know when Edge is expected to have their review ready?

I'm looking forward to some meltdowns :D
WTF??? Review whores were backing out finally, why are you starting that shit all over again?? People like you are just as bad (or even worse, imho!) than people who whine and cry over scores.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Uncharted was also a brand new IP for a very expensive system, launching into a really crowded market. This one should outsell the first with a decent margin based on being released in the wake of the slim/price drop alone. We'll see, my predictions for KZ2 were certainly off, but there's a lot going for this game right now. Bigger audience, including many brand new PS3 owners looking for a game to go along with the system.

KZ2 had potential to sell if Sony actually tried giving the game a real marketing push, it's sad that Resistance 2 got more marketing than their supposed big bad ass FPS to kill all FPS. Resistance got comic series, novel, action figures, giant billboard advertisements, special commercial sneak peak at premier of new South Park episode, limited edition release, etc. The marketing for KZ2 was a joke and no more than any other standard Sony release.

Uncharted 2 right now is going to be interesting since the first game has been bundled for a while, had good word of mouth, but will it truly be able to compete with the other big games this holiday? They might have the benefit of coming out a bit earlier than the other "blockbusters", but I still think it's not quite a proven IP. The first did supposedly do over 2 million ww before its greatest hits releases in europe but it was also a bundled title.

Hope it does well, the first is still one of my favorite sony exclusives. The game will sell, but I won't get my hopes up for a mega seller.

Zeliard

So I read all those complaints about the Gamespy review before seeing the score, and I expected a 3/5.

The game got a fucking 4.5/5. :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Uncharted 2 right now is going to be interesting since the first game has been bundled for a while, had good word of mouth, but will it truly be able to compete with the other big games this holiday?

There seems to be shortage of "big games" competing for customers this Fall. Modern Warfare 2, what else? Early 2010, on the other hand, looks absolutely stacked.

Zeliard said:
So I read all those complaints about the Gamespy review before seeing the score, and I expected a 3/5.

The game got a fucking 4.5/5. :lol

Enough with the whining, the whining about the whining, and my own whining about the whining about the whining. If we keep burning fuel at this rate, there won't so much as a coal nugget left to power real controversies.

Raistlin

Inanna Dan said:
WTF??? Review whores were backing out finally, why are you starting that shit all over again?? People like you are just as bad (or even worse, imho!) than people who whine and cry over scores.

Calm down man, it was a joke.

I'm simply being realistic to how gaf operates :p

Inanna Dan said:

Edit: Read explanation by Onix, no need to write that now, so removed a couple sentences.

I just started downloading the demo... I had planned on not playing it at all but dammit, all the talk in this thread pretty much crumbled my already weak will and forced me to download it. :D

Also, your avatar is awesome!

AltogetherAndrews said:
There seems to be shortage of "big games" competing for customers this Fall. Modern Warfare 2, what else?

Assassins Creed 2, Dragon Age, Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Tekken 6 are just some that have big sales potential, with AC2 surely going to be massive.

Though it's true that U2 is in a better position especially with the huge amount of titles that got pushed back till next year.

Zeliard

Dead Man Typing said:
I hate the Eurogamer review. Nothing against the 10/10, I'm sure the game deserves it, but the way it's written seems like a pathetic attempt by the reviewer to create a portfolio piece in the hope that he'll one day get an interview for EDGE.

Eurogamer and Edge share several writers, to the extent that Eurogamer is practically the unofficial online version of Edge. It's probably more likely than not that the writer of that Uncharted 2 review (Tom Bramwell) has written for Edge before, since all of Edge's reviews are in anonymous third-person.

BattleMonkey said:
Assassins Creed 2, Dragon Age, Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Tekken 6 are just some that have big sales potential, with AC2 surely going to be massive.

Though it's true that U2 is in a better position especially with the huge amount of titles that got pushed back till next year.

Yeah, forgot about AC2, that will for sure be a competitor, depending on whether or not the sales numbers for the original reflected customer satisfaction. As for the rest, I don't see them as doing much of anything. I hope Borderlands gets the sales it deserves.

BattleMonkey said:

MW2 and AC2 will sell much more than UC2. Brutal Legend and the rest of the bunch will be niche.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I always said Uncharted multiplayer would be something in the spirit of the original Socom...

Pretty bad Zipper (Yeah I know) got handed their jocks by a non-military game dev.

MAG is pretty sweet, it's just not Socom

TheExecutive said:
MW2 and AC2 will sell much more than UC2. Brutal Legend and the rest of the bunch will be niche.

Think it should be niche but the marketing and hype behind Brutal Legend has been extremely heavy. Constantly brought up on G4, got lot of magazine coverage, all the back and forth coverage because of the legal wrangling.

I think it could turn out to be a big hit in the end.

Firestorm

rhino4evr said:
OMG Meta Critic teh bias
Actually...
This overall score, or METASCORE, is a weighted average of the individual critic scores. Why a weighted average? When selecting our source publications, we noticed that some critics consistently write better (more detailed, more insightful, more articulate) reviews than others. In addition, some critics and/or publications typically have more prestige and weight in the industry than others. To reflect these factors, we have assigned weights to each publication (and, in the case of film, to individual critics as well), thus making some publications count more in the METASCORE calculations than others.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
skip said:
we're not on metacritic.

Really? That's too bad. Probably 99% of the time that I clicked through to G4 it was because of a review on Metacritic. Once there I usually clicked around a bit. I hope you guys get back on the list.

Do you know how someone might get on or off of that list?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Inanna Dan said:

finally someone says this.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Inanna Dan said:

I can't speak for him, but I'm actually interested in when they'll release their score... not that I'm looking forward to meltdowns or reactions, but they're usually the toughest to impress.

Firewire said:
Ok but 4 shots into the back of his head from 5ft away and I don't get the kill? What the hell is that?
It's called ze lag, it happens even to games with the best net code out there, yes even if your connection is excellent. It will happen occasionally.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
recklessmind said:
I always said Uncharted multiplayer would be something in the spirit of the original Socom...

Pretty bad Zipper (Yeah I know) got handed their jocks by a non-military game dev.

MAG is pretty sweet, it's just not Socom

I was hoping for the same thing. My first shooters were Socom 1-3 on PS2. Looking at Uncharted 2, it seemed to ooze the same spirit of the Zipper series. Downloaded the demo last night and had a blast. This game is going to be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom