• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFonda

Why do the run and gun boosters make the game more fun? It drives me nuts when players stalk opponents, taking forever just to close in and then god forbid somehow botch the kill. I've died many times because teammates won't take the time to make long distance shots

Irish

Well, the "expert" run & gunners never chase an opponent; they flank them or shoot them from long distance with their pistol (which is a run and gunner's primary weapon). Plus, they rarely get killed by a single person up close. In fact, they are often able to take on three or more opponents at a close distance.

(I sound like an idiot.)

ilikeme

I just did Crushing. Killed Lazarevic on my first try, was surprised. Run run run, shoot resin, run x1000.

Only 59 treasures though. quite well hidden.

And one question.. How do I kill the Riot Shield guys by 'running on the shield' ? Don't get it, they just push me away and kill me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ilikeme said:
And one question.. How do I kill the Riot Shield guys by 'running on the shield' ? Don't get it, they just push me away and kill me.
If you shoot the shield a bunch of times you'll see them crouch down. That's when you run over them and snap their neck.

acevans2

ilikeme said:
You ever shoot a riot shield guy enough that he falls on his back, but is still alive? If you run up to him at that point, you can press square and he'll run up the shield and then you can press square again to choke him. You'll know because there's a button prompt on screen.

ilikeme

I just did Crushing. Killed Lazarevic on my first try, was surprised. Run run run, shoot resin, run x1000.

And one question.. How do I kill the Riot Shield guys by 'running on the shield' ? Don't get it, they just push me away and kill me.:lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wish there an option to block certain maps from your search. I've been playing Village and Plaza since the first beta and they've gotten a little old.

WinFonda

Irish said:
Well, the "expert" run & gunners never chase an opponent; they flank them or shoot them from long distance with their pistol (which is a run and gunner's primary weapon). Plus, they rarely get killed by a single person up close. In fact, they are often able to take on three or more opponents at a close distance.

(I sound like an idiot.)

There are a couple good weapons for close quarters; the shotgun, the uzi, the pistol weapons. There are instances and maps where close range gun fighting can pay off. But I think most of the high level people that do dedicated 9mm pistol run and gun are doing it primarily for the gun slinger + spray and pray medals. I am contemplating giving that a try myself, but my mid-to-long range shooting is pretty good, so to me it's backwards to force a play style just for extra $. However, it takes forever to level up in this game (even with double cash) so squeezing out an extra $1-2k per game would be nice.

But flanking and other tactics exist no matter what gun you have. So as far as playing optimally goes, shooting at long range > forced run and gunning.

Irish

To be honest with you, close range is the only way I'm comfortable playing the game besides long range pistol shooting. I don't do it for the medals (which are worth the same as the long range ones), but because I feel like the real way to play the long range game is by using Down the Irons which I know is completely borked. (Seriously, test that stuff in The Stage/Machinima)

reKon

Banned
if anyone wants to play co-op/survival online or organize some actual rpg only matches and such or anything else, add me through my profile. I need people to play with and I'd rather them come from here since like none of my friends have a PS3!

ilikeme said:

And one question.. How do I kill the Riot Shield guys by 'running on the shield' ? Don't get it, they just push me away and kill me.:lol
Shoot until they raise their shields up in cower and go up next to them for a single button quicktime event.

Kittonwy

Banned
GG this afternoon, Crush and Killthee.
Indifferent2.gif

Darkatomz

dralla said:
the problem with the booster system is they went quantity over quality. There's too many boosters that should be combined into one, like the reload ones. I should be able to reload all my weapons faster, not just one kind. My suggestion, make 3 booster slots with 5 booster options, but make them good. Like so...

Booster Slot 1:
Increase off the hip accuracy
Increase blind fire accuracy
Increase aiming accuracy for long guns
Increase aiming accuracy for pistols
Increase aiming range for shotguns

and all of the ammo ones are pointless, there are guns everywhere to pick up. the increased power weapon ammo is fine though.

WRONG. I used the long gun quick reload for a brief stint (before switching back to DTI), and it is MUCH faster than if you don't use it. If it affected all guns (pistols and power weapons alike as well), then it would be cheap as shit.

Irish

Bitchin' song choice. (Is it sad that I knew what it was by the background sounds at the startup? I must be a candy cane child.)

Holy hell! I think we accidentally timed a masterpiece there at the 30 sec mark with the plane and everything. I'm also surprised at how well that belly flop thing worked out.

Irish said:
Bitchin' song choice. (Is it sad that I knew what it was by the background sounds at the startup? I must be a candy cane child.)

Holy hell! I think we accidentally timed a masterpiece there at the 30 sec mark with the plane and everything. I'm also surprised at how well that belly flop thing worked out.

I think I made not one, but two bitching song choices. :lol

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

M3Freak

Banned
I need to play this with more GAFers. Can som eof you random dudes add me? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?

psn id: m3freak

BTW, played some hilarious games with and against three guys that were in a party. They're commentary and singing during the games were down right gut busting. They best part: they were really, really good too!

U2 is great. I wish more people were playing it online.

Irish

Oh, I agree. I'm just a huge WS/JW fan.

I loved when you accidentally jumped from the cliff and after standing there I was like "Screw it! Reshoot!" and followed. It would have been epicly insane if Riky had actually blown himself up and launched himself over the side.

Great work though. It makes me feel the need to do something like this again when we can use all the skins.

EDIT: WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOIN'? I NEED BACKUP!

Just to spite everyone who wanted in-game soundtracks, ND should've made
The Thong Song
unchangeable background music with the patch until Donut weekend was over.

Irish

I noticed a lot of the stuff in the 'film' was from the 'test' shots and random stuff. I still can't believed we timed your death and our pushbacks by the grenade so the plane flies over us as we are getting back up. It wasn't even something we were trying to do!

OMG WTF

Something happened to my connection, got kicked and then a message popped up telling me that I got a skill level and a $40,000 penalty for not finishing :lol

jax (old)

Banned
some of you guys complaining about the boosters are such whingers. I've played multiple games where the highlevels are using alterneate boosters like sure foot (lots of people are using deposit). Some high levels ares using invalid etc. Reading about all these 'complaints' really annoy me. Just have fun. If you die you die. Get better. I mean, the last few pages have been whinge fests about the boosters, and the grenades. Well, that's the MP game for you. I suggest you go play MW2 or something.

Its not that DTI is accurate but I think the game+subtle lag seems to make it more powerful than it is. I'm quite good at the game, get a lot of kills in all the game modes. And I dont' feel like anything is wrong with the game. I mix up my boosters when I feel like it, haven't used fleet foot in a bit.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MNC said:
Missed the weekend :( Donut Zoran isn't unlockable, right? :(
Right, he's not an unlockable skin. You still have a couple of hours left if you want to try it out though, dbl cash weekend is supposed to end in ~9 hours.

mr_nothin

Banned
Jax said:
some of you guys complaining about the boosters are such whingers. I've played multiple games where the highlevels are using alterneate boosters like sure foot (lots of people are using deposit). Some high levels ares using invalid etc. Reading about all these 'complaints' really annoy me. Just have fun. If you die you die. Get better. I mean, the last few pages have been whinge fests about the boosters, and the grenades. Well, that's the MP game for you. I suggest you go play MW2 or something.

Its not that DTI is accurate but I think the game+subtle lag seems to make it more powerful than it is. I'm quite good at the game, get a lot of kills in all the game modes. And I dont' feel like anything is wrong with the game. I mix up my boosters when I feel like it, haven't used fleet foot in a bit.
That's the thing though. If you just play for fun and go in and be light hearted and laugh everything off then it's fine.

It's when you try to get competitive and "get good" when it all goes to hell. With every online game, there's a certain point where I switch over from playing for fun to playing to win. I absolutely have to make that switch to have any kind of longevity with an online game. I cant just keep playing for fun because I'd get bored.

I have a competitive spirit with online games. There's just too many inconsistencies in UC2 to where you cant perfect the game. I want to perfect the game, but I cant because the actual aim/auto-aim is random for each and every game (plus TONS of other things). There's a lot of little things that I notice in this game that I wouldnt dare go into on GAF because I'd just be call a whiner. I'm hyper-sensitive to these things.

Even though I tend to complain alot...I dont suck. Anything more than 5 deaths is pure fail for me :/
(although I did suck HARD in those GAF games yesterday..I'm still ashamed of that XD. Hey, but I did take on a whole team on my own while Kilgore and the rest hung on the ledge on The Fort...and I was owning them :D)

1 thing that I noticed, is that machinima mode has your character DEAD CENTER instead of offset to the side a little bit. I think the centered character is much better.

Jax said:

Man, lighten up. It's not all about being teh uber or whatever, it's the effect this has on the game. If a newbie comes on, gets repeatedly gunned down due to a booster they don't have, they don't have fun and don't come back. And thus you have population problems which causes a ton of other problems.

It may not change this game but there's always the sequel/new IP to think about.

Really this whole unlocking thing has taken an ugly turn. Newer games are making about unlocking power weapons/equipment/perks instead of harmless customization.

Kittonwy

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
Man, lighten up. It's not all about being teh uber or whatever, it's the effect this has on the game. If a newbie comes on, gets repeatedly gunned down due to a booster they don't have, they don't have fun and don't come back. And thus you have population problems which causes a ton of other problems.

It may not change this game but there's always the sequel/new IP to think about.

Really this whole unlocking thing has taken an ugly turn. Newer games are making about unlocking power weapons/equipment/perks instead of harmless customization.

You get DTI pretty early though, and even without DTI you can take someone down pretty easily, the boosters aren't so powerful that newbies get completely dominated unless they really stink.
Indifferent2.gif

Dedication Through Light said:
The level in blue or the level based on money?

One booboo with this update, on the Fort, respawned right behind three of the enemies forces... :)

Yeah it's quite fucking annoying when that happens. Also the matchmaking is faster but sometimes it just stops working and you have to restart because no matter how much you wait it'll never connect. I can't believe they still haven't fixed this yet.

Gyrian

Awesome games this weekend! I'll miss the donuts.
Had tons of fun when we'd hit a really challenging Plunder game.
One of them ended up being with another group on GAFers on the other side!

KilgoreTrout said:
I present to you:

A KilgoreTrout Film
THE LIFE AND DEATH OF ZORAN LAZAREVIC

Thanks Irish, mr_nothin, and Rikyfree for being awesome actors. :lol

This is awesome work, Kilgore!
I wish we'd see more like this being made with the tools they've left us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom