• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaroof

Huh.. just read all the ranting about the DTI and Fleet Foot perks..
I didn't know it had that much of an effect on kills >_<
If it's bothering you guys that damn much, I'll take em off the next time I play.. :p

Jaroof said:
Huh.. just read all the ranting about the DTI and Fleet Foot perks..
I didn't know it had that much of an effect on kills >_<
If it's bothering you guys that damn much, I'll take em off the next time I play.. :p
Don't give in Jaroof!

The day I have access to the negative boosters is the day I stop using DTI. Although as a DTI user, if you suck at aiming, it's pretty useless.

jax (old)

Banned
dralla said:
If a grenade is that close I just move out of the way, if I can't move away in time it kills me, I find SF totally worthless.

winfonda's post is good.

SF is really useful for plunder. More useful imo than treasure bearer. Against a team of really good players, you can't even treasure bear for long. best to pick it and throw it. If you have sure foot, you can actually move should you get grenaded with the treasure, and then you can throw it.

Plunder games show how you can mix up the boosters - use surefoot to prevent grenade knockdown, use monkeyman to climb up (say in PLAZA) to get to the upper level to drop the treasure into the chest, use treasure bearer if you have enough team support to keep the enemies off your back to carry the treasure. or you can focus on offense to help take the enemies off the back of guys attacking your team.

In pistoles matches, DIT can get replaced with the pistol mashey booster to ensure you hit more.

There's nothing wrong with the boosters.

mr_nothin

Banned
WinFonda said:
Down the irons makes you better in the same way that taking any booster makes you better: but it doesn't guarantee or hand you anything. You can take launch man and die instantly with the hammer. You can take treasure bearer and not win a game of plunder. You can take down the irons and still get the snot kicked out of you by another player. When I took down the irons I still needed to learn how to place shots to be competitive - spamming has never got me anywhere in this game outside of close quarter fights.

DTI is just an easy scapegoat for dieing to something that is most common: gunfire.

Dieing to grenades is common too, but of course there's no booster to blame there. You could take down the irons away and people would still die the same ways and complain.

I never played the beta, but it makes for a faulty comparison. There's a big player pool post release. And taking away down the irons doesn't stop people from shooting their guns, or stop you from getting clipped trying to get behind cover; it just makes it less likely. Cover is always useful and I've yet to meet a player that hasn't utilized it.

I'm not sure how platforming suffers because of down the irons. You can only platform for as much as the levels allow; which for most levels, isn't all that much. I would like to see a more platforming intensive level though - if only to make monkey man more desirable.
DTI (and the pistol variant) and the DTI + FF combination are the only ones that are affected by lag though. Other boosters dont make you get shot through walls more or become bullet sponges. I dont mind ppl having launch man, that just gives them more ammo. I really dont have any problems with any of the other boosters at all.

The only other times I complain about deaths is when I get warp-melee'd/warp-pulled down/blown up from a grenade thats nowhere near me. Those happen far less than me being killed by DTI ppl. It's not an easy scapegoat for anything.

About the platforming/cover thing. When playing with teams where 4/5 ppl use DTI, you have to pretty much stay grounded. If you try climbing and some guy spots you (no matter the distance) then you're pretty much screwed. You cant really try to go into cover with someone using DTI because you become a bullet magnet. So your only option is...to shoot. There's no chance for escaping or taking cover or w/e. Especially with a team full of those people. You shoot or you die.

I really want to show some examples of what i'm talking about. If I save a few cinema files, will someone record the clips I want?

Kittonwy

Banned
GG guyz, that dude in the last game kept complaining that I was using teh pistole aka "teh pussy gun" to shoot him right in the face and throwing grenades right in his face lol.
Indifferent2.gif

HankToms

I kinda feel like an idiot, but I can't find the darn green screen option in the playback mode.

29f370l.jpg

Isn't it supposed to be there somewhere? Do I have to unlock it or something? Was it in the beta only?

agaru

Awesome games yesterday Dave, Bleach, Killthee. We're unstoppable. :D

The only match we lost was that shitty lag fest in The Sanctuary; grenades exploding 5 seconds later, enemies killing you with one bullet, and of course that Dur dude. -_-

Gyrian

HankToms said:
I kinda feel like an idiot, but I can't find the darn green screen option in the playback mode.

29f370l.jpg

Isn't it supposed to be there somewhere? Do I have to unlock it or something? Was it in the beta only?

It's available in Machinima when you choose the stage level.

jax (old)

Banned
Played a plunder game last
night with my team and we got to 4-0 and then we farmed kills on the other guys to

a) extend the game time
b) max kills

they didn't/couldn't get the treasure and I ended with 40 kills or thereabouts. 5-0 that was fun

:lol

Last match was a plunder last night vs a bunch of Japanese gamers (really amuses/enervates me that the game is so universal) and they were savage. Intense match that ended with 4-3 in our favour. The last minute was spent stopping them putting the damn thing in.
The plaza and it's tiered chest locations made it really fun.

Plunder needs its own playlist.

Jax said:
night with my team and we got to 4-0 and then we farmed kills on the other guys to

a) extend the game time
b) max kills

they didn't/couldn't get the treasure and I ended with 40 kills or thereabouts. 5-0 that was fun

Last match was a plunder last night vs a bunch of Japanese gamers (really amuses/enervates me that the game is so universal) and they were savage. Intense match that ended with 4-3 in our favour. The last minute was spent stopping them putting the damn thing in.

One thing we can agree on.

Crushing also needs it's own playlist.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jax said:

a) extend the game time
b) max kills

Why are you boasting about this? I want to smash your face into a jelly.

WiCkEd_Co

So I played single player and when I would start the game it would not load all the way, the dagger would stay spinning and I would have to quit game and re launch it for it to work.

I beat the game and wanted to try online and all yesterday I kept getting errors trying to connect online. So I thought I would delete the patch and re try. Well now I can't even download the damn patch. I have deleted the patch and have also deleted my saves, everything that has to do with this game but I keep getting this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv1yje3wxFo

WiCkEd_Co

alr1ghtstart said:
Something is busted on your router's end. Try connecting straight to the modem.

You know I never thought of doing that because I had originally install the patch last week and it work fine and I did not change a thing in my network setup. It did work tho.

Also for the last 2 days youtube and gametrailers has not been working on my laptop my brother pc or my daughters pc. Hook my laptop straight to the modem and it work but then goes back to being buggy, youtube work but not gametrailer with firefox or IE. I try to reinstall flash player and get a error about the certificate or something on all pc's.

Maybe it the weather here, it's been cold and rainy. Thanks for the reply.

Jax said:
Not my fault they were shithouse at the game. There was plenty of time to recover. ... :D

The thing is you're an idiot. If you had just finished them off, you could have been on into a new and possibly evenly matched game in a minute, and those scrubs could have had the same. Instead you decided to play a objective mode like it's deathmatch. Possibly turned a bunch of people off the game that has a shortage of people playing it. And made the quitting penalty system look stupid when it forces you to keep playing against jackasses. I won't hold that last one against you though, quitting penalties are dumb.

Look in the end, I'm not gonna tell you how to play. You can game however you want, it's your money etc. etc. so you have fun with it however you feel like it. But I would suggest you should think about what you're doing and why and are you really helping yourself when you do such things.

TheFatOne

Man for some reason I am just not into this game anymore. Originally I thought I would be playing this for months. Now I play one or two games and quit because I'm bored. Don't know what happened, but I am just no longer interested in the multiplayer.

olimpia84

Jax said:

a) extend the game time
b) max kills

So you're one of those huh? Not long ago I was paired with this party of four super high level players that were friends. We played plunder and we easily got to 4-0 in a matter of seconds and it became obvious that they started farming so I took the treasure home to make it 5-0. All four of them started cursing at me for doing it, it was awesome.

And then people wonder why there's nobody online in this game....

jax (old)

Banned
olimpia84 said:
So you're one of those huh? Not long ago I was paired with this party of four super high level players that were friends. We played plunder and we easily got to 4-0 in a matter of seconds and it became obvious that they started farming so I took the treasure home to make it 5-0. All four of them started cursing at me for doing it, it was awesome.

And then people wonder why there's nobody online in this game....

noticed how I've never mentioned this before, and how I found it funny? Because its the first time we did it.

so now we moved on to blaming me for the low numbers on uncharted MP. sure. because of that 1 match last night.

I'm high enough level to not need to farm. Plus you make way more money on co-op games anyhow. Which anyone playing UC2 online would know.

tsk tsk

PedroLumpy said:
The thing is you're an idiot. If you had just finished them off, you could have been on into a new and possibly evenly matched game in a minute, and those scrubs could have had the same. Instead you decided to play a objective mode like it's deathmatch. Possibly turned a bunch of people off the game that has a shortage of people playing it. And made the quitting penalty system look stupid when it forces you to keep playing against jackasses. I won't hold that last one against you though, quitting penalties are dumb.

Look in the end, I'm not gonna tell you how to play. You can game however you want, it's your money etc. etc. so you have fun with it however you feel like it. But I would suggest you should think about what you're doing and why and are you really helping yourself when you do such things.

Dave1988

Jax said:
I'm high enough level to not need to farm. Plus you make way more money on co-op games anyhow. Which anyone playing UC2 online would know.

You're not high level enough if you think you make more money on co-op :lol

Gyrian

Awesome games last night with Kittonwy, Broken Oath, pwonager, and joeinnit!

We do need a plunder only list. I'm surprised at how much fun this all continues to be, I must've put more hours in Uncharted online than anything else this year.

Pew, pew, pew.

RS4-

About the plunder shit, if my team was down 4-0, I'd ask them to all quit in hopes that one of us is the host and the migration thing somehow messes up :lol

Counter productive though.

I'm not a huge fan of it when my team is up on treasures and wants to prolong the match.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i cant stand it when people try to camp in Co-Op Arena games, i find that im far more successful when i keep moving. Plus its where the fun is at.

M3Freak

Banned
Holy fuck, I need more of you U2 players in my PSN list.

Addzz me, someone...pleeeaase!

psn id: m3freak

I've been playing co-op with Spartan and Efertlisdotcom (their PSN ids...I've forgotten their GAF ids). Good times. Ton 'o fun.

WinFonda said:
Down the irons makes you better in the same way that taking any booster makes you better: but it doesn't guarantee or hand you anything. You can take launch man and die instantly with the hammer. You can take treasure bearer and not win a game of plunder. You can take down the irons and still get the snot kicked out of you by another player. When I took down the irons I still needed to learn how to place shots to be competitive - spamming has never got me anywhere in this game outside of close quarter fights.

DTI is just an easy scapegoat for dieing to something that is most common: gunfire.

Dieing to grenades is common too, but of course there's no booster to blame there. You could take down the irons away and people would still die the same ways and complain.

They don't blame any boosters they just blame the grenades themselves. :lol

M3Freak said:

I've been playing co-op with Spartan and Efertlisdotcom (their PSN ids...I've forgotten their GAF ids). Good times. Ton 'o fun.
You can add me if you want, same as GAF username. I've been playing the battlefield BC2 beta, but I'm ready to go back to Uncharted 2. Wouldn't mind playing a few co-op rounds either. :D

Curufinwe

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i cant stand it when people try to camp in Co-Op Arena games, i find that im far more successful when i keep moving. Plus its where the fun is at.

On the later levels it's much easier to defend certain areas with all three people than have everyone running around the map getting killed or caught in choke holds with no one close enough to rescue them.

In the Lost City I think the waterfall area is the best spot to hold out when the tough enemies appear, but almost no one I've played with seems to share that view.

LaneDS

Jax said:

a) extend the game time
b) max kills

Ugh. This is the kind of thing that has ruined the game for me. People "farming" for anything in a shooter is so colossally dumb. Gotta make those numbers go up, right?

TheFatOne said:
Man for some reason I am just not into this game anymore. Originally I thought I would be playing this for months. Now I play one or two games and quit because I'm bored. Don't know what happened, but I am just no longer interested in the multiplayer.
welcome to my house, me and all 3 of my roommates have had the exact same experience.

Load up the game, join a game, play 3 games of getting shot around a corner, turn off the ps3.

At least theres singleplayer.

Curufinwe said:
On the later levels it's much easier to defend certain areas with all three people than have everyone running around the map getting killed or caught in choke holds with no one close enough to rescue them.
Yup. I've found it very hard to stay on the move on later stages when you have a barrage of chokers, shotgun dudes, snipers and railgun guys at the same time. In Sanctuary, we usually try to hole up at the middle tower, jumping between rooftops if the going gets rough, and going down between rounds to pick up ammo.

Kittonwy

Banned
out0v0rder said:
welcome to my house, me and all 3 of my roommates have had the exact same experience.

Load up the game, join a game, die 3 times from getting shot around a corner, turn off the ps3.

At least theres singleplayer.

Not sure if anything can fix that, I find that people claim they're "being shot around the corner", but just because you don't see someone doesn't mean the people who killed you didn't have just enough of an angle to get the shots off, if dying three times was enough to turn you off then I'm not sure any competitive MP shooter can keep your attention. It's kind of ridiculous that shooters these days have to give so much instant gratification to the point where otherwise three deaths would be enough to get some players to pack it in. I can understand if it's SOCOM Confrontation and n00bs dying once and having to sit out the rest of the match but I see rage-quitters ALL THE TIME, it's like people can't stand being killed a few times.

fortified_concept said:
They don't blame any boosters they just blame the grenades themselves. :lol
I've never complained about anything besides DTI and Fleet Foot. I think the game is perfectly balanced elsewhere.

I'm not complaining because I suck, because I don't. I'm complaining because the DTI + Fleet Foot fucks with the cover system, defeating a major gameplay mechanic by breaking it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Think I just played a bunch of random gaffers and got told to "get good and stop complaining".

That's not how I play, I was just running around aimlessly because I thought it would be funny. I think 4 of them turned on DTI just because I was there lol

KilgoreTrout said:
I've never complained about anything besides DTI and Fleet Foot. I think the game is perfectly balanced elsewhere.

I'm not complaining because I suck, because I don't. I'm complaining because the DTI + Fleet Foot fucks with the cover system, defeating a major gameplay mechanic by breaking it.

It wasn't directed at you, it was a general observation on the thread. I actually agree with you that these two perks are easily the best on the game but imo they shouldn't remove them but make the other perks better or add more to encourage different multiplayer strategies. Not that I have any serious complaints, my main problem now that they fixed matchmaking (well, almost fixed) is still the lag.

mr_nothin said:
Think I just played a bunch of random gaffers and got told to "get good and stop complaining".

That's not how I play, I was just running around aimlessly because I thought it would be funny. I think 4 of them turned on DTI just because I was there lol

Gyrian

PedroLumpy said:
If you had just finished them off, you could have been on into a new and possibly evenly matched game in a minute, and those scrubs could have had the same. Possibly turned a bunch of people off the game that has a shortage of people playing it. And made the quitting penalty system look stupid when it forces you to keep playing against jackasses.

I'm not a fan of 'farming', either. It's incredibly frustrating for those on the losing team.
Happens most often when you've got a veteran, organized team on one side and a randomly matched bunch of less experienced people on the other.

Too many of these on 20 minute Plunder matches at the wrong end, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were ready to write off MP.

Irish

Well, once a person realizes that they're being farmed, they tend to forget the treasure and go straight for kills, earning just as much money as the other team.

Played some on Monday, had one good game (34-20) and one really good game (48-21).

I want my all-Plunder playlist though. I no longer have any interest in Zone control.

And kickoffs/clotheslines are the best. Can't count how many times someone leaps, and I just shoot them until they jump towards me, *Field Goal*.

However, it's time for some paid skins.

M3Freak said:

Alright, I will add you, Ill be playing more. Im EatDeath

Isn't there supposed to be an ice cave level in this game? I swear I saw some screen shots that showed a huge ice cave. But I just finished the game yesterday, and I honestly don't recall ever seeing any ice caves.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Is there a way to remove boosters? I hadn't really equipped or purchased one until I decided to buy the one where it gets you more money for medals, but I don't really want to use it. I see no option to take it away. :(

ArachosiA 78 said:
Isn't there supposed to be an ice cave level in this game? I swear I saw some screen shots that showed a huge ice cave. But I just finished the game yesterday, and I honestly don't recall ever seeing any ice caves.
Ice cave to refresh your memory.

dralla

ArachosiA 78 said:

what? there's a long ass ice cave level in the game

Well, I dunno. I was pretty high through much of my playthrough. Guess I'll have to play the game again, because I honestly have no recollection of the ice cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom