• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ballistictiger said:
I remember playing Uncharted 1 again when high. The shit was amazing. It had a pop effect and it kind of looked 3d to me.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've experienced this with a few games. I think Uncharted was one of them. Just wait until 3D TVs are commonplace...that will be insane.

Kittonwy

Banned
Shit we got crushed by the other team in that plunder game 5-2, I think we kept shooting at the same target and we were constantly getting flanked, other than pwnager who was positive we were all minus 16-20, I think me and Ryanardo took the brunt of the beating, it was pretty brutal, we could probably use better team work but I guess towards the end most of us were just trying to stay alive, the lack of aggressiveness probably got us killed even more.

I think I took out my anger on the next team we played in the fort, anyway gg.
Indifferent2.gif

Irish

Yeah, we'll definitely need to work on our teamwork. I mean, we're all pretty decent players who can go lone wolf and do amazingly well, but I think we'd be absolutely unstoppable with a little coordination.

Great games though. Everyone ditched me at the same time. :(

The most annoying teams to play in multiplayer are those who will be down 20 points and then just begin to soley rely on the Pistole, Desert,and that other gun to win. It is so cheap, and rediculous lol.

ALso another booboo , on Plaze if you are in cover by the pillars scattered around and you kill someone, then you end up getting stuck in the middle of the pillar and must kill yourself with a grenade to get out. happened to me today

jax (old)

Banned
how do you view the online games - or send them once you've uploaded them? I've got a pretty awesome plunder game where near the end, I ended up with a SAS, ran to the enemies and blasted 4 of them in succession, enabling us to put the damn thing in.... and getting that trophy in turn. I want to send the video to someone else. How to?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Jax said:
how do you view the online games - or send them once you've uploaded them? I've got a pretty awesome plunder game where near the end, I ended up with a SAS, ran to the enemies and blasted 4 of them in succession, enabling us to put the damn thing in.... and getting that trophy in turn. I want to send the video to someone else. How to?
You can view uploaded files by hitting triangle at the Cinema select screen (the screen after you select Cinema Mode from the main lobby). Then select the file, press X, and then send file to send it to a friend.

jax (old)

Banned
hahaha.. so sweet. I love plunder games.

I like how they can mix this shit up. I don't play a lot of MP games online - do other games do these playlist tweaks?

PLUNDER ALL WEEKEND? /rock

<3

xmas costumes pleassseee. Its almost xmas. NOW.

Massa

Jax said:
hahaha.. so sweet. I love plunder games.

I like how they can mix this shit up. I don't play a lot of MP games online - do other games do these playlist tweaks?

PLUNDER ALL WEEKEND? /rock

<3

xmas costumes pleassseee. Its almost xmas. NOW.

From what I read the Plunder thing is not temporary. They're creating a playlist so you can always play a Plunder game instead of a random objective-based game mode.

What's temporary is the damage reduction.

arne

Massa said:
From what I read the Plunder thing is not temporary. They're creating a playlist so you can always play a Plunder game instead of a random objective-based game mode.

What's temporary is the damage reduction.

This is correct, Plunder Only is a permanent addition to the playlist roster in matchmaking.

kilgore! does this mean you're coming back now since we've added Plunder Only?

as for double cash, we're working on the issue still, so not this weekend. I'll post an update to the blog when I can provide a bit more info.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
when I saw 'Plunder Only' added over 'Deathmatch Variants' or 'Crushing (All)', a single-tear rolled down my cheek

jax (old)

Banned
arne said:
This is correct, Plunder Only is a permanent addition to the playlist roster in matchmaking.

as for double cash, we're working on the issue still, so not this weekend. I'll post an update to the blog when I can provide a bit more info.

Arne,

is this being updated via an update this weekend? The plunder thing that is.

arne

Rez said:
when I saw 'Plunder Only' added over 'Deathmatch Variants' or 'Crushing (All)', a single-tear rolled down my cheek

Well, this adjusted health is pretty much "Crushing (all)" anyway. But with boosters.

Jax said:
Arne,

is this being updated via an update this weekend? The plunder thing that is.

you won't be required to download anything, this one will be done on the fly :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
arne said:
Well, this adjusted health is pretty much "Crushing (all)" anyway. But with boosters.
true, true. I'm going to enjoy playing this weekend. I haven't been playing much in the last week or two, but the damage alteration is as good an excuse as any to get back into the game (I missed out on last weekend double cash weekend, which reminds me, I need to check out the new map).

I know neogaf loves anything hardcore so Crushing on multiplayer looks heavenly to some of you guys but you do realize that Crushing will make the multiplayer a game of who sees whom first ala MW2, right?

Before if you had the skill you could kill the person who started shooting first now you just won't be able to. Not to mention that with the lag the end result of two players who started firing almost at the same time will always be the same as the punch outs: both dead. Overall it will become more casual.

Be careful what you wish for.

arne said:

Yeah. I couldn't even stay away if I wanted to. Regardless of how broken DTI and FF seems to be, it's still my favorite multiplayer experience.

Why is Crushing not the same type of Crushing in custom? Afraid people won't play it without boosters?

Oh, and server-side updates FTW.

fortified_concept said:
I know neogaf loves anything hardcore so Crushing on multiplayer looks heavenly to some of you guys but you do realize that Crushing will make the multiplayer a game of who sees whom first ala MW2, right?

Before if you had the skill you could kill the person who started shooting first now you just won't be able to. Not to mention that with the lag the end result of two players who started firing almost at the same time will always be the same as the punch outs: both dead. Overall it will become more casual.

Be careful what you wish for.

I think most of us were hoping for it to have no boosters.

Okay, so I've been thinking I'm going to "turn a corner and the game will end" since
the ice cave
. I keep expecting to enter one more area and then have a final confrontation, but the game keeeeeps onnnn goinnnggg.. Not that I'm complaining, I think this game seems a million times longer than Uncharted, and I'm enjoying every bit of it.

mr_nothin

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Plunder only Playlist and lower player health (65%) this weekend

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/experimental_weekend_plunder_only/
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
They did the wrong one!!! Take boosters away :'(
I'd rather have a no boosters mode than 65% health. :(
Now DTI will be even more effective. BLAH But I guess this means 1 hit melee deaths? That should be pretty awesome!

The whole reason I wanted a crushing playlist was for the no boosters + less health (moreso the "no boosters" part)

Plunder only should be cool though :D

EekTheKat

Heh great..now there are coop griefers.

Be VERY careful playing coop gold rush. This guy I'm in a game with is refusing to even try looting the treasure after everyone has died.

Thanks to pathing problems on the new map, he can effectively lock the game forever by sitting there and not moving at all.

And since Gold rush has no time limit in a conventional sense, this guy basically just forces us to watch him for an hour or so while he runs around doing nothing all round.

jax (old)

Banned
EekTheKat said:
Heh great..now there are coop griefers.

Be VERY careful playing coop gold rush. This guy I'm in a game with is refusing to even try looting the treasure after everyone has died.

Thanks to pathing problems on the new map, he can effectively lock the game forever by sitting there and not moving at all.

And since Gold rush has no time limit in a conventional sense, this guy basically just forces us to watch him for an hour or so while he runs around doing nothing all round.

That's when you and the other guy team up and kill him. And then kill yourself so the game ends.

Yeef

The community is small enough that it'd probably be worth it to post the guy's name. There have been plenty of times where, joining random games, I'd run into randoms that I'd played with earlier in the night. I remember one time I was in a GAF party and we ran into some guy named icedurth like 5 times in a row.

Rez said:
I did the same thing. Well, I was hoping for Deatmatch Variants. I loved it in the beta, and I would play that instead of pure Deathmatch like I do now.

Mehhhhhhh @ reduced health. I don't want this to be Modern Warfare 2. They need a NO BOOSTERS playlist where people start playing like they did before unlocking the good boosters. The lower level players that actually used cover, and played more carefully made for some great battles. The more I play, the more I see people just running and gunning the whole time which means no one is taking cover, climbing, or flanking anymore.

People suck sometimes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dedication Through Light said:
Deathmatch Variants, I missed it in beta but is that just different weapon sorts?
yeah, basically. it's great because grenades are usually not present at all in, say, Shotty Sniper matches, there's also no bullshit RUN FOR THE SHOTGUN/EXPLOSIVE WEAPON AND THEN GET FREE POINTS, as everyone starts and ends on equal ground. It feels fairer. I get the feeling sometimes that grenades, shotguns and even rocket launchers are just included for the sake of tradition in vanilla multiplayer deathmatches, or because they're present in the single player campaign/other multiplayer games. When you look at the game on a base level, all they serve to do is unbalance it, which, while super-fun for the person wielding the weapon, can get a tad frustrating for everyone else.

I can deal with losing, but when it's because of an explosion that I had no fair chance of avoiding, it really gets me down.

But I'm splitting hairs, the levels are just so well thought out, a lot of the time their design negates the feeling of frustration.

oh, and this isn't a "FIX THIS SHIT NAUGHTY DOG" post, as I'm willing to concede that I'm probably in the minority on this one. A lot of people who play the game way more frequently than myself undoubtedly love all of the above elements.

Dedication Through Light said:
Deathmatch Variants, I missed it in beta but is that just different weapon sorts?
Rocket Launchers only, Sniper Rifles Only, and Pistol Only matches. I know those weapons are laying around in maps and stuff, but it was cool that everyone had the same weapon. I had such a ton of silly fun in Rocket Launchers only matches. Oh, good times indeed. Though, not much people liked that match, but I sure did.

WinFonda

Wow, playing Sully online is awesome.

I threw a grenade that landed in close proximity which caused Sully to say "Eat... Shit!"

He wasn't able to finish saying "Eat this!" :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ughh that weekend change sounds lousy. 65 health? My timing will be all off when it comes back, w/e I guess. I didn't agree with the donut guys either, I felt like the hitboxes were all off.

Either way been playing a ton. How often does gaf play? I'd like to hop in for a few rounds with you guys. Any games as epic as the old resistance nights yet?

Well, just beat the game finally. Felt 10X longer than the first game, but who knows how true that is.

Chloe still has very ghoulish eyes, in general a scary face. I hate to see it, but I really like Elena's voice actor.

Cool game in general, really wish the area of
Shambala
was longer, that's the sort of area that makes Uncharted's graphics really eye popping, especially the bit where it was raining and you were in that trench-like area. Really awesome stuff.. (Some of the music
when defending Chloe while she carried Elena
was awesome as well, and much more).

I think I like both of the games equally, but I was turned off by some aspects of the story for 2.

A game like this would have really entranced me and been something I could scarcely imagine when I was a child. This is everything the future of gaming should be.

Chris R

Didn't see it answered in the first post of the thread, so I'll ask it here. Since the manual that the game comes with is crap compared to the first game I didn't find a single bit of info about importing stuff in from the previous game. In another thread (stuff about gaming across save files) someone mentioned you could import things from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I found the button to do so. The only problem is when I click on it, the game says No Uncharted: Drake's Fortune trophies found. I have 35% of the trophies and a completed save game file. Is something wrong here? Can anyone explain? Thanks (just started the game, finished the first chapter and called it good for a night).

Niblet

Once again I come to GAF for guidance. I have read only the OP since I have not completed single player (got game yesterday). I wanted to try the multiplayer and right now I am rank 4. Oh boy am I in a little over my head. I'm like a headless chicken out there. I can't turn my back without some skeleton dude (wtf?) blasting my face off or meeting my end to a 'nade. I keep getting into matches where everyone averages rank 40+ (hardcore thieves must play at night).

From my initial impression: The AK seems useless at any sort of range. Try aiming with L1 and as soon as you pull the trigger the spread is insane. I feel like whipping out the pistol and trying that. At this point I dash for the FAIL as soon as I spawn or I'm 100% useless. It seems that learning how to navigate vertically through a level may be very critical to being able to survive and combat far more skilled players than myself. Skeleton people? What? Killing people while hanging off edges, shooting down at them is so satisfying. Even more satisfying would be a takedown from a ledge (I've only received that one). I'm definitely vibing with the game and I will keep playing multiplayer regardless of how much I struggle.

So GAF, any multiplayer pointers?

Edit:
rhfb said:
Didn't see it answered in the first post of the thread, so I'll ask it here. Since the manual that the game comes with is crap compared to the first game I didn't find a single bit of info about importing stuff in from the previous game. In another thread (stuff about gaming across save files) someone mentioned you could import things from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I found the button to do so. The only problem is when I click on it, the game says No Uncharted: Drake's Fortune trophies found. I have 35% of the trophies and a completed save game file. Is something wrong here? Can anyone explain? Thanks (just started the game, finished the first chapter and called it good for a night).

I am in the same boat. What the hell?

Kittonwy said:
GG yall, crush u quitter, u didn't hit 50.
angry.gif
lol. Only at like 20%
Niblet said:
Once again I come to GAF for guidance. I have read only the OP since I have not completed single player (got game yesterday). I wanted to try the multiplayer and right now I am rank 4. Oh boy am I in a little over my head. I'm like a headless chicken out there. I can't turn my back without some skeleton dude (wtf?) blasting my face off or meeting my end to a 'nade. I keep getting into matches where everyone averages rank 40+ (hardcore thieves must play at night).

From my initial impression: The AK seems useless at any sort of range. Try aiming with L1 and as soon as you pull the trigger the spread is insane. I feel like whipping out the pistol and trying that. At this point I dash for the FAIL as soon as I spawn or I'm 100% useless. It seems that learning how to navigate vertically through a level may be very critical to being able to survive and combat far more skilled players than myself. Skeleton people? What? Killing people while hanging off edges, shooting down at them is so satisfying. Even more satisfying would be a takedown from a ledge (I've only received that one). I'm definitely vibing with the game and I will keep playing multiplayer regardless of how much I struggle.

So GAF, any multiplayer pointers?

Edit:

I am in the same boat. What the hell?
You seem to be doing fine for your level and I'm amazed that you know about pull offs and kickoffs. Most new players don't and go "WHAT" over and over. Simply walk up to someone on a ledge and press [] to kick them off or if you're hanging off a ledge, press [] to pull them down. Another great but hard to do melee is the head slam. You need to be at a level where someone is holding onto a ledge and the ledge itself is at least waist level(The middle building in The Village) is a good example of this, the one with the shield. Your character will grab their head and slam it for an instant kill. Hard to do as most times they'll pull you off first, but God is it satisfying.

The AK is my standard weapon and one you should stick with as you always spawn with it and it's rather powerful due to fire rate. I had the same problems as you in the first beta, turning down sensitivity helped me in that regard. There's also Down the Irons which you can get to improve your accuracy(GAF glares at me >_>).

Lastly I recommend Fleet Foot as your secondary base. You move MUCH faster when aiming and prevents people dancing around you or you being unable to keep up when aiming!

Feel free to join the Gaf crew, we play around the clock and have tons of fun. Just stay out of my way as I'm Legendary :p

As for the money thing, I believe you need a completed save file no?
# You unlock $ 20 000 if you have a backup of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
# You unlock $ 80 000 if you have a backup with the completed story mode of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Noogy

Thanks for the tips CrushDance. I just started on Uncharted 2 tonight as well, and am loving it, but obviously am new to the MP.

mr_nothin

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Mehhhhhhh @ reduced health. I don't want this to be Modern Warfare 2. They need a NO BOOSTERS playlist where people start playing like they did before unlocking the good boosters. The lower level players that actually used cover, and played more carefully made for some great battles. The more I play, the more I see people just running and gunning the whole time which means no one is taking cover, climbing, or flanking anymore.

People suck sometimes.
100% Certified
Signed...Mr_Nothin

Rez said:
yeah, basically. it's great because grenades are usually not present at all in, say, Shotty Sniper matches, there's also no bullshit RUN FOR THE SHOTGUN/EXPLOSIVE WEAPON AND THEN GET FREE POINTS, as everyone starts and ends on equal ground. It feels fairer. I get the feeling sometimes that grenades, shotguns and even rocket launchers are just included for the sake of tradition in vanilla multiplayer deathmatches, or because they're present in the single player campaign/other multiplayer games. When you look at the game on a base level, all they serve to do is unbalance it, which, while super-fun for the person wielding the weapon, can get a tad frustrating for everyone else.

I can deal with losing, but when it's because of an explosion that I had no fair chance of avoiding, it really gets me down.

But I'm splitting hairs, the levels are just so well thought out, a lot of the time their design negates the feeling of frustration.

oh, and this isn't a "FIX THIS SHIT NAUGHTY DOG" post, as I'm willing to concede that I'm probably in the minority on this one. A lot of people who play the game way more frequently than myself undoubtedly love all of the above elements.
I agree with everything you said right here also. Grenades are bs (i wont go into that any more)...shotguns are dumb as hell. Im shooting a guy half a dozen times while he's running at me and BLAM!. Anybody have problems aiming at a guy with a shotty that's running straight at you? It's like WHY THE HELL CANT I HIT HIM!?!? (only sometimes) And grenade launchers/rocket launchers should at least spawn in random places so nobody knows exactly where to run at the beginning of the round. I feel like, if I dont go for 1 or the other...i'll be killed by 1 of them at least once and probably multiple times (especially if they have the hammer booster). Like I said before...UC2 is a "if I dont do it...it'll be done to me 100 times over". You're forced to play like the rest of the idiots :(

rhfb said:
I have both and was getting the error message.
I'm not sure what to say =/ I never even used the feature. You'll end up with tons of money quickly anyway, but I can understand you. Maybe someone else knows, or you can ask Arne?
Noogy said:
Thanks for the tips CrushDance. I just started on Uncharted 2 tonight as well, and am loving it, but obviously am new to the MP.
NP. You guys should join us for real though, could always use some good players unlike Broken :D

Chris R

I even put my disc of Uncharted: DF back in my PS3 and started a hard difficulty play though and finished chapter 1 and then created a second save, made sure I had logged in to PSN and connected to the multiplayer on U:AT and then tried to import and it still didn't work :|

And I doubt I'll end up with tons of money anyways as I will probably only ever play a single multiplayer match to get the trophy.

agaru

Good to hear the health reduction decision is only experimental for this weekend. For a second I thought it's permanent. And who knows, maybe people would prefer it over the current health system after they actually try it out; I expect it to force people to make more use of cover and play more tactically. Oh, Plunder Only = :D

WinFonda said:
Wow, playing Sully online is awesome.

I threw a grenade that landed in close proximity which caused Sully to say "Eat... Shit!"

He wasn't able to finish saying "Eat this!" :lol
Haha, that's awesome. These quips add so much excitement and personality to the MP. Some of my favorites:

- Chloe while throwing a grenade: "hey! sit on this!"
- Drake after melee-killing someone in co-op: "no children for you"
- Flynn while picking up a weapon: "aww so beauuutiful, come here"
- Flynn after surviving intense shit: "pheeww, okaay!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom