• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax (old)

Banned
agaru said:
- Flynn after surviving intense shit: "pheeww, okaay!"

one of flynns line is super camp - when he throws grenades I think. I always chuckle when I hear it. I think its his "incoming" line. I should play as him more. :D

Wowbagger

mr_nothin said:
Im shooting a guy half a dozen times while he's running at me and BLAM!.

Moving backwards with Fleet Foot equipped counters this. I'm thinking reduced health will improve balance between rifles and one-shot-kill weapons.

jax (old)

Banned
Wowbagger said:
Moving backwards with Fleet Foot equipped counters this. I'm thinking reduced health will improve balance between rifles and one-shot-kill weapons.

I personally think the crushing MP will make the game ever more.. one shot killy which isn't good/great. As is, some of the game modes (pistoles vs snipers) involves a lot of running around, whoever can mash shoot fastest and get the kill. As a weapon, the sniper rifle is good but using the pistole easily racks up more kills - it also means, if you use it... you rack up more 1:1 kill/death.

re: shot gun. it is a power weapons for sure but that's what grenades are for no? People complain about the grenades ... but it is exactly what you'd have to use.

Wowbagger

Jax said:
re: shot gun. it is a power weapons for sure but that's what grenades are for no? People complain about the grenades ... but it is exactly what you'd have to use.

When I see a shotgunner running towards me out in the open and I've got a rifle equipped, I don't think dropping a grenade and backing off should be the right response. The problem is, with the amount of shots it takes to kill with a rifle, the margin for error is very small and the shotgunner has a very good chance of closing the gap and getting his one shot off before you can finish him. (Unless you use Fleet Foot, that is.)

Jax said:
one of flynns line is super camp - when he throws grenades I think. I always chuckle when I hear it. I think its his "incoming" line. I should play as him more. :D

lol I solely use "Heist Flynn", I love hearing it through the speakers/headset when I throw a grenade and he says it on their audio device.

Speaking of characters, I have yet to see anyone use Marco Polo or the old man.

reKon

Banned
the lowered health should interesting. We should have less morons running around the stage with the shotgun. Now I'm not saying it's terrible to do so, but most matches that has a high leveled person do that can get annoying, especially when my kill streak is ended up by a person who shotguns me in the back (then after the game I see that have like 20 kills/20 deaths :lol). Everything should be more tactical and well thought out since you can die more easily. I think people will pick on this.

Cesar

Banned
Wowbagger said:
When I see a shotgunner running towards me out in the open and I've got a rifle equipped, I don't think dropping a grenade and backing off should be the right response. The problem is, with the amount of shots it takes to kill with a rifle, the margin for error is very small and the shotgunner has a very good chance of closing the gap and getting his one shot off before you can finish him. (Unless you use Fleet Foot, that is.)

What does fleet foot do exactly? It makes you faster?

Gyrian

Cesar said:
What does fleet foot do exactly? It makes you faster?

Lets you move faster when you're holding up your gun with L1.

Thanks NDI for the Plunder only playlist!
The health reduction is interesting too. Slightly skewed up so you don't get downed with a single punch, probably.

trk_rkd

Banned
Got platinum! Man, much easier than uncharted 1 (which i couldn't get through on crushing). Only remotely difficult parts were the last boss and the steel fist expert trophy, and even they weren't too bad.

Great game but I'll probably put it on the shelf now, i'm not a big co-op gamer and I kinda resent the fact that I do much better in multi if i run around like an idiot running and gunning as opposed to playing smart n' tactical.

Probably my single player goty, first playthrough was magical. God damn nolan north is a good VA.

Finally caved in.

It's worth $30 at gamestop. I got Warhawk and Freedom Force vs the Third Reich and still had $9 left over. Got some gummi-worms and condoms.

trk_rkd said:
Got platinum! Man, much easier than uncharted 1 (which i couldn't get through on crushing). Only remotely difficult parts were the last boss and the steel fist expert trophy, and even they weren't too bad.

Great game but I'll probably put it on the shelf now, i'm not a big co-op gamer and I kinda resent the fact that I do much better in multi if i run around like an idiot running and gunning as opposed to playing smart n' tactical.

Probably my single player goty, first playthrough was magical. God damn nolan north is a good VA.

Heh I do quite good running and gunning, several maps are good at doing this, maybe get on Uncharted 2 multie during a double cash weekend or so, thats when it is at times really fun-ish.

And I am away this weekend again. Damn I'm going to miss this weekend as well.
Yey for plunder only anyways. Now a playlist without explosives and autoaim weapons and I would be happy.

Levi

Banned
Just went 24-25 in a game of Plunder which my team won. Seems more like 85% health - there were definitely occasions where I got the drop on someone and they were still able to kill me. Doesn't break the game at all.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dont know if I dig the new health. It makes it play like Call of Duty (too quick to die, not enough time to react). I'm happy if they put this as a new playlist but not for decreasing health on a global level.

It does make the games more intense though, so it's not certainly a bad thing. I'm just used to having full health too.

Well it is easier to kill those people who use the weapons that usually do one hit KO's. However, I assume that before today you couldnt be killed in just three well place shots with the FAL and the AK?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dedication Through Light said:
Well it is easier to kill those people who use the weapons that usually do one hit KO's. However, I assume that before today you couldnt be killed in just three well place shots with the FAL and the AK?

FALs took 3 well placed hits to kill someone. The FAL is not as powerful with the lower health since you can take down people with an AK easily now. It's harder to go on streaks since it's easier to die now, obviously. I feel that the new health is a game changer for me

With the new health, it takes 2 shots from FAL to kill an enemy and only 1 shot for a sniper rifle, regardless of body area. It's a sniper's delight with the new health.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
KilgoreTrout said:
Hold on, the new health is game-wide not just in Crushing?

DO NOT WANT.

Is it just for the weekend?

It's for the weekend as a test. Be sure to submit feedback for it, I know I will. I dont want the new health to be implemented universally, that's for sure.

mr_nothin

Banned
Wario64 said:
Dont know if I dig the new health. It makes it play like Call of Duty (too quick to die, not enough time to react). I'm happy if they put this as a new playlist but not for decreasing health on a global level.

It does make the games more intense though, so it's not certainly a bad thing. I'm just used to having full health too.
I agree in some aspects but then again I dont. It helps me combat DTIs. You would think that DTI would be domination mode with the lower health but it was quite the opposite. Before, it felt like they had 100% health and I had like 60% health. Now it feels more like they have 70% health and I have 60%....if anybody can understand what I mean. But DTI + Fleet Foot is still BS though. I also like how it makes melee'ing now (since nobody goes for 2 melee's any more). But I agree that it makes it too much of a gunning game and less Uncharted.

Dedication Through Light said:
It was 3 bursts with the FAL. Now it's 2.

Wario64 said:
It's for the weekend as a test. Be sure to submit feedback for it, I know I will. I dont want the new health to be implemented universally, that's for sure.

X_X

Good news. Hope they don't implement it permanently.

mr_nothin

Banned
Also, the pistol is DEADLY. Takes like 3/4 shots now.:lol
And it only takes 1 hit from the sniper now.

Definately makes it more intense and I like that but they still arent making ppl want to play the game with the cover mechanics. It's starting to have that Metal Gear Online syndrome where ppl rarely use cover.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Niblet said:
From my initial impression: The AK seems useless at any sort of range. Try aiming with L1 and as soon as you pull the trigger the spread is insane. I feel like whipping out the pistol and trying that. At this point I dash for the FAIL as soon as I spawn or I'm 100% useless. It seems that learning how to navigate vertically through a level may be very critical to being able to survive and combat far more skilled players than myself. Skeleton people? What? Killing people while hanging off edges, shooting down at them is so satisfying. Even more satisfying would be a takedown from a ledge (I've only received that one). I'm definitely vibing with the game and I will keep playing multiplayer regardless of how much I struggle.

So GAF, any multiplayer pointers?

Edit:

I am in the same boat. What the hell?

The AK is great if you control the recoil. From a certain distance just do controlled bursts of 3-4 shots counter strike style. Aim for the middle of the body and let it drag up slightly. Those 3 will most likely hit, time this and repeat one after the other like burst fire and I guarantee you, you'll start rackin up kills from a distance. That being said if a FAL is in the area, pick that up and take out some people from long distance 3 shots and they're dead. It's slow and weak so if they're running lead em a bit. Don't let the recoil of the AK fool you either, if you're facing a guy up close unload into him, aim right for the center of the body, and the spray will nail him. Another tip is try flanking guys, especially in plunder. Don't grab the treasure if you're by yourself, instead take cover near the treasure and protect it until back up comes. You picking it up and hurling it a few feet and dying leaves the treasure exposed, if you can fend off a few guys and slow em down it's much more useful.

Niblet

Great tips so far. I'll be playing when I return from the library. How do I get in on the fun with you all? CrushDance invites me to join in but doesn't leave me any PSN IDs. My PSN is: Pilliwinks

Jswanko

Just started powering through the first Uncharted so I could play 2 and Im enjoying it more than I was expecting. Never been a big Tomb Raider fan but the exploration and puzzles are my favorite part of this game.

My internet was down when I started playing and now I cant get trophies, damn it.

mr_nothin

Banned
It actually only takes 2 well-placed shots to the upper midsection from the pistol.
wtf at the pistol now, it's a killing machine. It's like playing Uncharted 1 online :lol

It takes them out sooo fast. It's the all around weapon now for me. About to try it with Sure Shot.

Chris R

Reasking the question for the midday USA crew. Anyone know why a PS3 that has a completed Uncharted 1 save file on it with several trophies would be unable to receive the $100k reward in Uncharted 2? Me and Niblet are having the same issue :lol

Cesar

Banned
My last batch:

34qmvig.jpg

el9sw3.jpg

24qv4lw.jpg

9ksflw.jpg

17wsuu.jpg

qskzeo.jpg

alhmc5.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I like the one shot sniper rifle. :D
They say they're at 65% health, I think 85% would be good. DTI ruins it though, as soon as you see someone...goodbye. This health with no boosters would be great.

Irish

OMG WOW!!!! I just can't wait until I have less health AND have to deal with Down the Irons! It'll be so fun getting killed in 1-shot from a mile away with the AK! Way to make camping in the back of the stage even more profitable. Maybe I'll even get shot through three concrete blocks instead of the usual one and a half.

Seriously though, Sure Shot is supposed to do nearly the same thing as DtI, but it's nowhere near as broken. No shooting through walls or Wanted-style bullet curves.

I'll be on after I grab a few tacos from my buddy's mother's house. I'm finally starting to feel better after that Canadian bastard, CrushDance, gave me his evil sickness after playing with him.

If pistols really are kicking ass now, I will become king! ((IF there were a booster that slightly increased the firing rate of the pistol, I would never stop using it.))

((Am I this bitter sounding when I play, guys?))

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Irish said:
OMG WOW!!!! I just can't wait until I have less health AND have to deal with Down the Irons! It'll be so fun getting killed in 1-shot from a mile away with the AK! Way to make camping in the back of the stage even more profitable. Maybe I'll even get shot through three concrete blocks instead of the usual one and a half.

Seriously though, Sure Shot is supposed to do nearly the same thing as DtI, but it's nowhere near as broken. No shooting through walls or Wanted-style bullet curves.

I'll be on after I grab a few tacos from my buddy's mother's house. I'm finally starting to feel better after that Canadian bastard, CrushDance, gave me his evil sickness after playing with him.

If pistols really are kicking ass now, I will become king! ((IF there were a booster that slightly increased the firing rate of the pistol, I would never stop using it.))

You and everyone else will be king... the game is a joke like this, it's trying to be COD. Why does every developer try to clone the game? It's not going to improve sales. Hopefully this doesn't stick, it's just a spam fest as of right now.

Irish said:

:lol :lol :lol
Noogy said:
Forgive my ignorance, but how would I join? PSN ID: Danoogy
Niblet said:
Great tips so far. I'll be playing when I return from the library. How do I get in on the fun with you all? CrushDance invites me to join in but doesn't leave me any PSN IDs. My PSN is: Pilliwinks
I'll add you guys.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
And people voted for this over Deathmatch variants? Smh...

EDIT - I'll say this though. The playing field definitely seems a lot more level. Myself and a bunch of guys with green and blue badges just dominated a level 40+ team.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
rhfb said:
Didn't see it answered in the first post of the thread, so I'll ask it here. Since the manual that the game comes with is crap compared to the first game I didn't find a single bit of info about importing stuff in from the previous game. In another thread (stuff about gaming across save files) someone mentioned you could import things from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I found the button to do so. The only problem is when I click on it, the game says No Uncharted: Drake's Fortune trophies found. I have 35% of the trophies and a completed save game file. Is something wrong here? Can anyone explain? Thanks (just started the game, finished the first chapter and called it good for a night).
Put U: DF in your PS3 and start the game and it'll ask you to do an update. Once it's updated you can then get the bonus money in U2: AT.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Chamber said:

EDIT - I'll say this though. The playing field definitely seems a lot more level. Myself and a bunch of guys with green and blue badges just dominated a level 40+ team.

What's fair about that though? The better player should be allowed to go out and dominate. That's what makes COD so accessible, it's just shy of one hit kills. I can't tell you how many level 5-20s have killed me today and I'm clearly the better player. It can go both ways too, I can stand there and just gun somebody down without even really trying. It's a spam fest, hopefully they bring the old health system back.

mr_nothin

Banned
Chamber said:
No we voted for crushing mode. They half did it and did the wrong thing. We really wanted no boosters but they added the lower health. We didnt want lower health + boosters (that's dumb)...although I did say that everyone needs invalid on but that was only because I just knew that "no boosters" was out of the question. But DTI makes it even more painful :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
msdstc said:
What's fair about that though? The better player should be allowed to go out and dominate. That's what makes COD so accessible, it's just shy of one hit kills. I can't tell you how many level 5-20s have killed me today and I'm clearly the better player. It can go both ways too, I can stand there and just gun somebody down without even really trying. It's a spam fest, hopefully they bring the old health system back.
It isn't fair. Just a surprise we didn't get totally owned.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Chamber said:
It isn't fair. Just a surprise we didn't get totally owned.

My point is that's what I don't like in a lot of shooters.. I don't like when the playing field is leveled, like in COD with the one hit kills or the death streak perks. COD is arcadey and fun don't get me wrong, but I like to be able to switch it up. I'm sick of games trying so hard to be something else, like R2 with the Halo/COD4, now Uc2 with the formula, which for the most part has worked, is trying to be more like COD. Selling out is not something I'd expect from ND.

edit- Look maybe I take gaming too seriously. I play for fun and I try to compete with my friends and with people online. If I'm the better player, I should be able to prove that, or if I'm facing a better player I should find a way to get that person, I shouldn't resort to Perks or ask for help.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
msdstc said:
My point is that's what I don't like in games. I don't like when the playing field is leveled, like in COD with the one hit kills or the death streak perks. COD is arcadey and fun don't get me wrong, but I like to be able to switch it up. I'm sick of games trying so hard to be something else, like R2 with the Halo/COD4, now Uc2 with the formula, which for the most part has worked, is trying to be more like COD. Selling out is not something I'd expect from ND.
You're preaching to the choir, my friend. I'm right there with you in terms of opinion on this mode. I probably should have worded my other post better.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Chamber said:
You're preaching to the choir, my friend. I'm right there with you in terms of opinion on this mode. I probably should have worded my other post better.

Yeah it actually sounded like you didn't like it. I'm basically just ranting/bitching. I'm hoping this is the general consensus though, and Naughty Dog can just stick to the formula that's worked.

Has anybody ever really taken issue with the health? The most common complaints are either the boosters or the grenades(this one by far). Why fix something that's not broken? Like I said it just seems like it's trying to be another COD clone, hopefully this trend dies fast.

mr_nothin

Banned
msdstc said:
My point is that's what I don't like in a lot of shooters.. I don't like when the playing field is leveled, like in COD with the one hit kills or the death streak perks. COD is arcadey and fun don't get me wrong, but I like to be able to switch it up. I'm sick of games trying so hard to be something else, like R2 with the Halo/COD4, now Uc2 with the formula, which for the most part has worked, is trying to be more like COD. Selling out is not something I'd expect from ND.

edit- Look maybe I take gaming too seriously. I play for fun and I try to compete with my friends and with people online. If I'm the better player, I should be able to prove that, or if I'm facing a better player I should find a way to get that person, I shouldn't resort to Perks or ask for help.
Nah, you're not taking it too seriously. You just like to play games competitively. There's nothing wrong with that. I hate games where the playing field is artificially leveled too. We just like playing skill-based games where the playing field is level at the beginning, but there's enough headroom to advance/learn and reach a point where you can just own noobs. You want hierarchy...there is none with lower health + boosters.

We want PC gaming but consoles are going for accessibility.

Cyberia

IGN AU's Top 10 Games of 2009

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Naughty Dog / PlayStation 3

If "few action games have ever done it better", then Uncharted 2 is one of those rare games. Let's take this one slowly because there's a lot of ground to cover and praise to be heaped.

While many games claim to let players live out their action movie fantasies, in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, this is absolutely the case. Nathan Drake is an infectiously likeable lead character, pulling traits from Harrison Ford and Nathan Fillion to create an unholy amalgam of charm and smarm. What follows the literal cliff-hanger opening is an instant-classic action adventure that does more to reinvigorate this genre than any other this year.

Knowing how to pace itself is one of Uncharted 2's greatest strengths. After every intense battle, hard-slough along the side of a train or through a collapsing apartment block, there's a much appreciated breather, allowing you to climb, explore and sometimes simply bask in this wonderful landscape that developer Naughty Dog has carefully crafted.

Key moments stand out for us, such as the sundrenched Nepalese village, high in the mountains. With no real objective per-se other than to meander through the town and see the sights and take in the ambience, Naughty Dog demonstrates that it's more than okay to take the pedal off the gas once in a while – it's critical, in fact.

Support characters are thoroughly entertaining, the voice-acting shames most other games and the animations that complement these are a mere hair strand's distance away from feature film quality. But above all other elements, Uncharted 2 is simply masterful to play. The refinements made to the cover system beyond the first game make for a far more reliable and enjoyable experience, while Drake's limber athleticism compels players to really ponder which surfaces might just be the right route to the goal.

Complemented with a stirring soundtrack and a meaty multiplayer experience that is every bit as fun as a third-person shooter can be in this mode, Uncharted 2 is a thoughtfully created experience that never forgets that its ultimate reason to exist is not to ape Hollywood in a futile 'me-too' exercise, but to let the players play the action; to entertain through gaming, not just watching.

All things considered, there was really no doubt in IGN AU's collective hivemind that Naughty Dog has done gamers a wondrous service with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. This is the game of the year for 2009 and a valid reason to buy a PS3; more than any of that though, it's the reason why we play games in the first place.

http://games.ign.com/articles/104/1049762p3.html

Well deserved Naughty God!

mr_nothin

Banned
Ok...
What the hell is going on in Sanctuary? The spawn points are FUCKED up. Literally every time someone spawns there's 3 or 4 other ppl in the same area. Me and this guy spawned in the same area and I killed him and he spawns again in the same area and there's already 2 of my other teammates there and we kill them again. This 1 guy literally kept dying as soon as he spawned. Everybody kept talking about the spawn points the whole game. We all spawned at the same base each and every time. You cant even leave the base, you cant just run out. If you spawn at the base you have to run around and chk everywhere because there WILL be someone waiting to shoot you or someone just spawning right behind you.

Chris R

Fuzzy said:
Put U: DF in your PS3 and start the game and it'll ask you to do an update. Once it's updated you can then get the bonus money in U2: AT.
Already done that. I just beat U: DF like two days ago, so it has all updates. U:AT has all updates as well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
mr_nothin said:
Nah, you're not taking it too seriously. You just like to play games competitively. There's nothing wrong with that. I hate games where the playing field is artificially leveled too. We just like playing skill-based games where the playing field is level at the beginning, but there's enough headroom to advance/learn and reach a point where you can just own noobs. You want hierarchy...there is none with lower health + boosters.

We want PC gaming but consoles are going for accessibility.

That's literally how I Just worded it to one of my buddies. I want a game similar to CS, which is incredibly difficult, but ultimately very rewarding. UC was a lot like that, it took a lot of skill to control the recoil, react properly to grenades, find cover/learn the maps, flank, etc. Now anybody can pick up the game and go in and own.

I was literally just behind a wall firing across the map and taking people out... it was ridiculously easy. That being said it went both ways and I was getting killed with 1 hit sniper shots, and 2 or 3 shots with the pistol. It completely changes the game, and if it stays this way I'm done. Unfortunately Naughty Dog probably won't care about the handful of hardcores, and would rather focus on a game that more people can pick up and play. I understand the business side of it, but I just don't agree with it.

edit-
mr_nothin said:
Ok...
What the hell is going on in Sanctuary? The spawn points are FUCKED up. Literally every time someone spawns there's 3 or 4 other ppl in the same area. Me and this guy spawned in the same area and I killed him and he spawns again in the same area and there's already 2 of my other teammates there and we kill them again. This 1 guy literally kept dying as soon as he spawned. Everybody kept talking about the spawn points the whole game. We all spawned at the same base each and every time. You cant even leave the base, you cant just run out. If you spawn at the base you have to run around and chk everywhere because there WILL be someone waiting to shoot you or someone just spawning right behind you.

sounds like COD to me... definitely could be another tweak to allow for more "revenge" and leveling the playing field.

mr_nothin said:
Ok...

I spawned in santuary today just to die 0,1 second after spawnig with another guy that a enemy had thrown a grenade at. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom