• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
No boosters mode would be great but I'm not a fan of the lowered health. The only thing that's done is somehow make the game even more run and gun than it already was.

mr_nothin said:
Ok...
What the hell is going on in Sanctuary? The spawn points are FUCKED up. Literally every time someone spawns there's 3 or 4 other ppl in the same area. Me and this guy spawned in the same area and I killed him and he spawns again in the same area and there's already 2 of my other teammates there and we kill them again. This 1 guy literally kept dying as soon as he spawned. Everybody kept talking about the spawn points the whole game. We all spawned at the same base each and every time. You cant even leave the base, you cant just run out. If you spawn at the base you have to run around and chk everywhere because there WILL be someone waiting to shoot you or someone just spawning right behind you.

Its like that in The Fort too!

mr_nothin

Banned
msdstc said:
That's literally how I Just worded it to one of my buddies. I want a game similar to CS, which is incredibly difficult, but ultimately very rewarding. UC was a lot like that, it took a lot of skill to control the recoil, react properly to grenades, find cover/learn the maps, flank, etc. Now anybody can pick up the game and go in and own.

I was literally just behind a wall firing across the map and taking people out... it was ridiculously easy. That being said it went both ways and I was getting killed with 1 hit sniper shots, and 2 or 3 shots with the pistol. It completely changes the game, and if it stays this way I'm done. Unfortunately Naughty Dog probably won't care about the handful of hardcores, and would rather focus on a game that more people can pick up and play. I understand the business side of it, but I just don't agree with it.

edit-

sounds like COD to me... definitely could be another tweak to allow for more "revenge" and leveling the playing field.
CS/CSS is exactly the game I was thinking of. A noob will get completely owned on the wrong server. But he can still get lucky every now and then.

Dedication Through Light said:
Its like that in The Fort too!
It wasnt as bad as it was today though. It's never been this bad in Sanctuary.

Gyrian

rhfb said:
Already done that. I just beat U: DF like two days ago, so it has all updates. U:AT has all updates as well.

This was confusing for me also, you don't receive the money automatically.
I noticed the prompt while navigating with the online mode menus, something like triangle button to "Drake's Fortune".

arne

mr_nothin said:
Ok...
What the hell is going on in Sanctuary? The spawn points are FUCKED up. Literally every time someone spawns there's 3 or 4 other ppl in the same area. Me and this guy spawned in the same area and I killed him and he spawns again in the same area and there's already 2 of my other teammates there and we kill them again. This 1 guy literally kept dying as soon as he spawned. Everybody kept talking about the spawn points the whole game. We all spawned at the same base each and every time. You cant even leave the base, you cant just run out. If you spawn at the base you have to run around and chk everywhere because there WILL be someone waiting to shoot you or someone just spawning right behind you.

That shouldn't be the case, we didn't touch those settings. We haven't seen that (yet). Keep up updated in this thread if it continues... or ceases. thx!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
mr_nothin said:
CS/CSS is exactly the game I was thinking of. A noob will get completely owned on the wrong server. But he can still get lucky every now and then.

It wasnt as bad as it was today though. It's never been this bad in Sanctuary.

Getting lucky isn't a bad thing. When I used to play CS I would get a kill every now and then. If a new guy takes me out in UC I don't mind, normally it's my fault, or he got lucky. The amount of times low level players and people I know are worse than me are taking me out has more than doubled. I'm still doing fine, just don't want all those ridiculously lucky spam kills/run and gun kills.

mr_nothin

Banned
arne said:
That shouldn't be the case, we didn't touch those settings. We haven't seen that (yet). Keep up updated in this thread if it continues... or ceases. thx!
Granted, I've only played Sanctuary about 4 or 5 times today...it happened each time though. It was like a warzone when you spawned :lol. It was kind of fun when you caught on to what was going on and you spawned knowing you were about to enter a warzone.

Irish

CrushDance said:
:lol :lol :lol

I'll add you guys.

Hey, she makes bitchin' tacos. Our families were pretty close when I was growing up, so it's not abnormal for her to call every now and then when she's making something that I like.

I bitch an awful lot in this thread, but I really do love the game and play it on a regular basis with a ton of different players. DtI is really the only thing that bugs me about the game.

I will play soon, my fine fellows.

mr_nothin

Banned
Welp, just came across a Plaza glitch apparently. Some guy was shooting through the walls across the whole map...funny thing is, is that we still won. :lol
i have the cinema file saved.

edit: I'm watching it now and i'm not sure how the hell he did it. at 1st he was playing regularly and then out of nowhere he just shoots some guy through a wall. Then he dies and when he spawns...he's killed instantly by a bullet out of nowhere then you cant see him any more.

Weird, he's barely even aiming at ppl and still killing them.

edit 2: Ok so he didnt actually kill the guy through a wall the 1st time. The guy was just lagging. But he did end up going out of the map and killing everyone.

arne

msdstc said:
That's literally how I Just worded it to one of my buddies. I want a game similar to CS, which is incredibly difficult, but ultimately very rewarding. UC was a lot like that, it took a lot of skill to control the recoil, react properly to grenades, find cover/learn the maps, flank, etc. Now anybody can pick up the game and go in and own.

I was literally just behind a wall firing across the map and taking people out... it was ridiculously easy. That being said it went both ways and I was getting killed with 1 hit sniper shots, and 2 or 3 shots with the pistol. It completely changes the game, and if it stays this way I'm done. Unfortunately Naughty Dog probably won't care about the handful of hardcores, and would rather focus on a game that more people can pick up and play. I understand the business side of it, but I just don't agree with it.

I hope these are just your early on reactions because mostly you're used to the style of play our MP normally is. Give it some time as both experienced and inexperienced players start to learn new strategies and new playstyles and see what you think then.

after playing with these tweaks internally for a week, i go home and then get owned by noobs all night until i readjust. it'll take some time. hey, maybe you'll still hate it, who knows.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
arne said:
I hope these are just your early on reactions because mostly you're used to the style of play our MP normally is. Give it some time as both experienced and inexperienced players start to learn new strategies and new playstyles and see what you think then.

after playing with these tweaks internally for a week, i go home and then get owned by noobs all night until i readjust. it'll take some time. hey, maybe you'll still hate it, who knows.

Well I played for about 3 hours. Overall I have a 2.4 KD. Today I struggled to even approach that in games I would normally dominate. This is one of the few games that I've actually been dedicated to online this Gen the other being Resistance 1.

I did make adjustments and got a bit better I suppose. That being said there's nothing you can do to stop somebody killing you with one sniper shot, or just sittin in the base and firing away in there. Health is too low and it's too easy to take people out.

edit- Another view for me on games is, you can have great reactions and pin point aim, but if you can't play smart you won't excel. It's harder to play smart, a health system like this promotes run and gun or camping.

Holy shit.

Arne, I don't usually say this to developers since you guys are kings. BUT, you guys done gone f'd up with the weekend tweaks.

Like if someone grabs the Uzi, GG. I know it's not permanent and it's a nice change of pace, but if you guys were testing the waters or whatever for Uncharted 3. Please reconsider, what's greabt about Uncharted is the small firefights and back and forth between players.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
CrushDance said:
Holy shit.

Arne, I don't usually say this to developers since you guys are kings. BUT, you guys done gone f'd up with the weekend tweaks.

Like if someone grabs the Uzi, GG. I know it's not permanent and it's a nice change of pace, but if you guys were testing the waters or whatever for Uncharted 3. Please reconsider, what's greabt about Uncharted is the small firefights and back and forth between players.

That's what I'm saying man. I look at Naughty Dog as the front runner of Sony's developers, and maybe in the entire industry. This is a weird change, which like I said appears like they're going more for a COD feel, I just wouldn't expect that.'

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CrushDance said:
Holy shit.

in a hypothetical world where this is actually a test for any future projects, you'd have to imagine that the game would be correctly balanced around a similar play-style, and contain maps that correctly accommodate the lower health.

mr_nothin

Banned
arne said:

Well I've adjusted and pistols it is. I'm starting to see everyone switch over to pistols now.
But I still cant get over the fact that if I see a guy a split second later than him, that' i'm dead by the time my aim comes up. We can both round a corner and see each other around the same time but I'm dead by the time my aim comes up right. I can rarely react to anything. Nobody's playing smart in UC2 anymore and if you try to, then you'll be caught in cover from behind or shot from all different angles or melee'd from the back.

You guys keep dropping the health down further and further. I still liked how it was in the 1st beta where ppl were semi-bulletsponges. I still havent had that dream game of 2 teams working together and using cover and advancing/flanking. Well I had it the 1st game I played of "The Fort" and that was awesome.

Everyone plays pretty much the same now. Maybe I should play Plunder more and less deathmatch.
CrushDance said:
Holy shit.

That's what I enjoyed about UC2 the most. The epic chases and "where the hell did he go????" and the flanking. It's been toned down a lot.

Awww we're ganging up on Arne :(

Chris R

Gyrian said:
This was confusing for me also, you don't receive the money automatically.
I noticed the prompt while navigating with the online mode menus, something like triangle button to "Drake's Fortune".
You have to access it from the offline store and press square. I've tried everything but I guess I'll never get the free monies :( Oh well, seeing as basically nobody else has this issue and nobody knows how to fix it.

Rez said:
in a hypothetical world where this is actually a test for any future projects, you'd have to imagine that the game would be correctly balanced around a similar play-style, and contain maps that correctly accommodate the lower health.
I agree, for example: power weapons are now basically useless/overkill because the AK alone will tear through enemies like nothing. Most battles are like 5 seconds now befoe someone drops.

Oh! I'm finally using the FAL now ;)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
mr_nothin said:
Well I've adjusted and pistols it is. I'm starting to see everyone switch over to pistols now.
But I still cant get over the fact that if I see a guy a split second later than him, that' i'm dead by the time my aim comes up. We can both round a corner and see each other around the same time but I'm dead by the time my aim comes up right. I can rarely react to anything. Nobody's playing smart in UC2 anymore and if you try to, then you'll be caught in cover from behind or shot from all different angles or melee'd from the back.

You guys keep dropping the health down further and further. I still liked how it was in the 1st beta where ppl were semi-bulletsponges. I still havent had that dream game of 2 teams working together and using cover and advancing/flanking. Well I had it the 1st game I played of "The Fort" and that was awesome.

Everyone plays pretty much the same now. Maybe I should play Plunder more and less deathmatch.

Just put the damn health back to where it was. The game has been out for however long now, people have settled in, why with all these changes do we have to keep making changes? You talk about pistols... is it a good thing? Pistols are a secondary weapon, the fact that it's a primary weapon is a mistake unless you have the deagle. It's COD right now, whoever sees first wins.

edit- you said we're ganging up.

I do feel bad I don't want to bash and otherwise incredible game. I'm trying to get heard... hopefully the more I bitch and the more people speak up we can get it back to where it was, and focus on the real problems at hand, maybe something like the grenades.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
msdstc said:
Just put the damn health back to where it was. The game has been out for however long now, people have settled in, why with all these changes do we have to keep making changes? You talk about pistols... is it a good thing? Pistols are a secondary weapon, the fact that it's a primary weapon is a mistake unless you have the deagle. It's COD right now, whoever sees first wins.

edit- you said we're ganging up.

I do feel bad I don't want to bash and otherwise incredible game. I'm trying to get heard... hopefully the more I bitch and the more people speak up we can get it back to where it was, and focus on the real problems at hand, maybe something like the grenades.
this is just for the weekend.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Rez said:
this is just for the weekend.

That's what I hope... but they're experimenting. Obviously they're thinking about changing the health system. Honestly there was never anything wrong with the health system, in fact there wasn't much wrong at all, why fix what's not broken? I'm all for improvements, but not like this.

Possible Issue, in taunts, Im only level 43, but it says that I cant buy "Pump", however, it is checked green on the screen and when I go to profile, I can set my taunt to "Pump".

It says I can buy it at level 53.

jax (old)

Banned
msdstc said:
Just put the damn health back to where it was.

gotta agree with this. The health is making plunder totally unstrategic. Played 3 games. Won them all. but any sembalnce of nuance to the gameplay is gone. I can be shooting someone, run up to him, and while we both melee one another, we both die. There were so many instances of this now that ... well, I was like 'this is great for farming kills... but this is not fun'

want to play this new low health mode and do well, use the fal. its ridiculous how unbalanced it feels.

jax (old)

Banned
Possible Issue, in taunts, Im only level 43, but it says that I cant buy "Pump", however, it is checked green on the screen and when I go to profile, I can set my taunt to "Pump".

It says I can buy it at level 53.

glitch.
buy hesit flynn and winter elena and its available. :p not bad though. like a little surprise

* btw the punch is now grossly overpowered in crushing play.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jax said:
gotta agree with this. The health is making plunder totally unstrategic. Played 3 games. Won them all. but any sembalnce of nuance to the gameplay is gone. I can be shooting someone, run up to him, and while we both melee one another, we both die. There were so many instances of this now that ... well, I was like 'this is great for farming kills... but this is not fun'

want to play this new low health mode and do well, use the fal. its ridiculous how unbalanced it feels.

exactly my point. I talked in my previous posts about camping at the base... stand at a distance, I mean you can use just about any gun, the FAL or the M4 are devastating. With full health you can find cover and then the battle is on as you work to outsmart/flank your opponent.

The other thing about "farming kills", I have a few friends like this who like to just run into groups and basically kamikaze. I don't believe in kills as a measure of how good somebody is... KD definitely matters more, but this tweak has turned it into one of those run and gun spam games.

While i didn't have a problem with the lowered health, I do see a major issue. Since the game hypes traversal gunplay, this is now crippled with lowered health. You can't climb your way to freedom anymore and hanging in general is just asking to be raped with bullets. Before, you could drop, shimmy, or pull yourself up and be on the verge of death.

Like I said, I didn't have an issue with the one game I tried... but that's because people died so quickly I barely felt any pressure. This new health benefits better players. Not cool. I was already coming in first 9 times out of 10. Let me earn my kills again lol.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It was interesting at first, but the health is way too low. The only problem I have with the game is the "run for power weapon" type of gameplay. Randomly spawn them and it would be perfect.

This low health thing is fun... for getting lots of points in no time. It's so easy to kill your enemies now, it's ridiculous. I'm on the fence, I like it, but I don't. I like that it makes the matches quick, but it's not fun if I'm going to be at the top or close to the top every round. I played just Deathmatch since the low health thing was introduced, so I don't know how it's like on any other playlist.

Wow, I just started playing thisonline today..

My first match, I was kind of "meh", I didn't really see why I'd want to play Uncharted online or how it would be any fun, really.

The second match it really started to click with me. I love how the areas are multi-level, allowing for the climbing, I love plunder only.. I love plunder! I'm only level 7, but after a few matches I can see how it is such fun. If the health is temporary like this, I think it is ok, but could use maybe a little tweak higher. It is hard to react indeed at times. But I like!

Though Ido hate that I'm the only low level player. Everyone in my matches is like 40 or 50.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I feel that at times its just a hit or miss thing. Sometimes it seems like you get hit in two hits, and other times it feels normal. I need to play more to finally make my final thoughts.
The inconsistent damage happens when the health is normal too. I think it's a lag issue.

slider

Excuse the noob question... but that map that ND released a little while ago... is it still available? Or was it a one day mega extravaganza? Just looked on the Euro store and found nothing.

Hope I didn't miss out. : (

slider said:
Excuse the noob question... but that map that ND released a little while ago... is it still available? Or was it a one day mega extravaganza? Just looked on the Euro store and found nothing.

Hope I didn't miss out. : (
The Fort is still there. :) It was in the patch, which will forever stay there. You didn't miss it.

Kittonwy

Banned
GG guyz, Fort was MADE for teh FAL riflez.
Indifferent2.gif

Noogy

Thanks for the game CrushDance... I hope I didn't do too horribly for my first GAF game ;) Sorry for not having any decent chat... I've a million ways to chat over Live but not PSN.

Niblet

Kittonwy said:
GG guyz, Fort was MADE for teh FAL riflez.
Indifferent2.gif
Good games indeed (I'm Pilliwinks). The health is doing wonders to shorten the learning curve for us new guys. Seeing as how this was my first real night of play (played 2-3 games the prior 2 nights) I don't have any opinion on the normal health rate. All I can say is I had fun today.

WinFonda

Played a bunch of plunder tonight.

Like the new grenade timers.

Not a fan of the new low health. It's very hard to use cover reactively. I can still kill very well, sometimes it's too easy, but likewise, many of my own deaths feel unwarranted.

I think the new health almost promotes camping of sorts. Instead of fast paced play and taking cover when necessary, the game is now better played proactively, taking cover in anticipation of an attack and ambushing.

Perhaps it's because I'm playing plunder, but it seemed counterproductive. And although many of the teams I was playing with and against tonight weren't the best; many plunder matches were frustratingly ending in 15 minute long stalemates.

There's now also less emphasis on certain power weapons - and more emphasis on the sniper rifle - but that's not really a bad thing.

To be honest I would have rather seen more specific damage value adjustments over an across the board health reduction. My own playstyle of ranged burst firing remains effective, but it's become more of a coin toss at closer ranges. I've found that accuracy isn't as important as speed now in situations where both players target each other; death comes quickly hitting any body part and there's less need to conserve your clip of ammo.

This game is completely fucked now that they've lowered the health. All the weapons are borked. As others have said, power guns are useless. Grenades are even more deadly. Snipers are everywhere now, one hit killing with a leg shot. Pistol 'run and gunning' is rampant. So much for cover.

Really hope this is just for the weekend. There was more flanking and covering before. Don't know what Naughty Dog was expecting with this. You can't just lower health and not tweak or balance any of the guns.

Irish

Well, I only went positive about 1/5 of the matches I played tonight. I'm ready to admit that I suck and shouldn't be playing this game. ((I think it was the health thing. Makes getting in for CQC nearly impossible.)

agaru

Played around 20 matches with this reduced health tweak and honestly I do not like it so far. Some weapons lost their identity, some became too powerful. If someone starts shooting at you from the back you won't have time to take cover and initiate an awesome 1v1 mini battle. It's like mr_nothin said:

mr_nothin said:
That's what I enjoyed about UC2 the most. The epic chases and "where the hell did he go????" and the flanking. It's been toned down a lot.
With the original health system different types of kills and battle scenarios can occur, and this adds much fun to the matches.

EDIT:
A poll is already up on ND's website about this experiment:
http://www.naughtydog.com/

Chris R

Just did my one and only multiplayer game and finished first overall with 14 kills and got to level 4.5 :lol

Single player through chapter 2.5 is nice. Stealth is a welcomed addition. Do I keep the tranq gun the entire game making stealth runs like mgs2 possible?

web01

Low health completely breaks the game I will never buy a naughty dog game or any future DLC if they make it permanent.

Especially considering the test alone is pandering to a small vocal minority of complainers that want two bullets shot in the feet to kill like the call of duty series.

How about they actually fix things that need changing like throwing grenades at feet before death being better than the revenge booster which is completely useless.

Or the ridiculous amount of money its takes to get max rank. $50 million for top rank... ahh yeah no thanks naughty dog.

No wonder the online community is so dead most people have just resorted to grinding co op missions to lelel up reducing the number of people playing online. If they acted and made 2x $ to kills and medals pernament I think they could turn it around. It would still take a huge amount of time even with this in place.

mr_nothin

Banned
Arne,
The spawning problem I was having on Sanctuary has toned down since earlier. Still happens but not as often.

Also, I've just been blown up by my own grenade...that I just watched fly all the way across the room and kill someone else. It's happened 2 times. I'll watch the grenade kill somebody and then 2 seconds after my grenade blows up, i'll die from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom