• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish

I really do miss the traversal gameplay, so I can't wait for this weekend to be over. Now if you get pinned down by two FAL users, you're pretty much screwed where you could take both of them out before if you played it smart/calm.

Gyrian

Mega Mike said:
how many co op levels are there? i find those the most fun in terms of online play. :)

3 for objective coop, Nepal Warzone, The Village, and The Monastery.
Every other MP map can be played on coop survival, or gold rush.

I tried the weekend rules this morning, and they're... interesting. I'm often getting double downs with the pistol, and I've even managed a tripled or two.

Makes Plunder gameplay become much more of a fight, now I'm seeing virtually no matches that end fairly quick with 5 captures.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really think the longer plunder matches has to do with Treasure Bearer not being of any use, because you get killed so quickly. That booster is way overpowered. It's much more fun doing a line of toss the treasure. With TB, you can run across the map twice as fast. Spawn in a bad spot and you're screwed.

WinFonda

Irish said:
I really do miss the traversal gameplay, so I can't wait for this weekend to be over. Now if you get pinned down by two FAL users, you're pretty much screwed where you could take both of them out before if you played it smart/calm.
Yeah by far my biggest issue with crushing health is not being able to take cover reactively. I prided myself on being able to get behind cover and turn around a situation, but now it's near impossible to take any sort of reactionary cover unless I'm very well positioned. In fact, if you're out in the open it's better to remain that way and keep shooting and returning fire until you die, because being in the open and trying to prevent yourself from dieing through seeking cover is actually now a sure way to die.

So I find it difficult to adjust to crushing health. I still have the the need to try and preserve myself through seeking cover, but it's usually pointless with lower health.

In a way, it's analogous of when I play crushing in single player. I perhaps play more cautiously on normal because death is less common and so I'm more averse to it. I can kind of get accustomed to dieing a lot on crushing difficulty so I start to lose that sense of preservation and resistance to death. I don't really want that to set in for multiplayer, but that's what the crushing health will do.

mr_nothin

Banned
WinFonda said:
Yeah by far my biggest issue with crushing health is not being able to take cover reactively. I prided myself on being able to get behind cover and turn around a situation, but now it's near impossible to take any sort of reactionary cover unless I'm very well positioned. In fact, if you're out in the open it's better to remain that way and keep shooting and returning fire until you die, because being in the open and trying to prevent yourself from dieing through seeking cover is actually now a sure way to die.

So I find it difficult to adjust to crushing health. I still have the the need to try and preserve myself through seeking cover, but it's usually pointless with lower health.

In a way, it's analogous of when I play crushing in single player. I perhaps play more cautiously on normal because death is less common and so I'm more averse to it. I can kind of get accustomed to dieing a lot on crushing difficulty so I start to lose that sense of preservation and resistance to death. I don't really want that to set in for multiplayer, but that's what the crushing health will do.
I just think DTI and FleetFoot mess it up. That and the fact that FAL takes 2 bursts.
If we had this + boosters off then it would be pretty cool (hence the orignal crushing mode). I dont see why they just couldnt test out crushing mode for every mode (maybe it would have turned off a lot of ppl if they couldnt use their beloved boosters). Could have just added a temporary playlist.

If ND decides to make it a playlist I don't think they should name it Crushing. Name it "casual" or something to help the new members integrate to the community since a) it has no boosters b) the limited health makes it more of a game of who sees who first which is always popular with the casuals and crappy players. If you name it Crushing no newbie will ever touch it and imo it's a great mode for newbies.

Kureishima said:
True enough, I just think there might be a more coherent and constructive way to relay criticism than "fuck the CoD fuckers".

;-)

Well, the anger against COD players is justifiable if you take into account what they did to Killzone 2.

cakefoo

Kureishima said:
Hard to believe how much crying is in this thread.
Is this you: STATS

It said they started playing around the same time you did.

Assuming it is you, which isn't a stretch, you've only played 6 matches for alittle over one hour total, and have a .68 KD ratio. You already admitted you haven't even played the game in its original configuration, so how can you know which feels better?

I just can't believe you're being so arrogant.

edit: nevermind, seems you're already backpedaling and fluttering your eyelashes, so I won't waste anyone's time.

I hate cheaters, and so, here are four morons who like to hide in walls on the Fort.

Dutch_devil88
LuXx1200
saixlunar13
Adriaans1994

Two of them committed suicide twice trying to get outside. Not the first dicks I've seen do it.

Edit:

28jbr82.jpg

2cgnggp.jpg

FUCK YOU. Pics obviously came from their perspective when I watched the movie afterwards.

mr_nothin

Banned
Boombloxer said:
I hate cheaters, and so, here are four morons who like to hide in walls on the Fort.

Dutch_devil88
LuXx1200
saixlunar13
Adriaans1994

Two of them committed suicide twice trying to get outside. Not the first dicks I've seen do it.

FUCK YOU. Pics obviously came from their perspective when I watched the movie afterwards.
Add crXss to that list.

cakefoo said:
Is this you: STATS

It said they started playing around the same time you did.

Assuming it is you, which isn't a stretch, you've only played 6 matches for alittle over one hour total, and have a .68 KD ratio. You already admitted you haven't even played the game in its original configuration, so how can you know which feels better?

I just can't believe you're being so arrogant.

edit: nevermind, seems you're already backpedaling and fluttering your eyelashes, so I won't waste anyone's time.

Is reading so difficult? When did I ever say what you claim I did?

Kureishima said:
This is my first night playing (last night), and I mostly played plunder. Yeah, if you try to pick up the treasure while there are enemies around, you will, infact, get killed. If you are there with a couple of team mates and kill the enemies, one can pick up the treasure and you can proceed as a team toward your treasure chest...... . .. . .... .

I never claimed to know -anything- about "how it was". Backpedaling? Ok.. Way too hostile in here.

jax (old)

Banned
Boombloxer said:

Dutch_devil88
LuXx1200
saixlunar13
Adriaans1994

Edit:

28jbr82.jpg

2cgnggp.jpg

... I'm sorta amazed and sort of amused by thos pics. I don't know how you break the game - I guess they read some forum somewhere that tells them how to do it and then they do. so fucking lame

Kureishima said:
True enough, I just think there might be a more coherent and constructive way to relay criticism than "fuck the CoD fuckers".

;-)

You key into one line out of my 10+ posts in this thread and keep bringing it up. Way to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Not to mention you've played the game for what, less than two days, and you're already in the official thread trying to lecture people on how to give Naughty Dog feedback? Feel good about yourself, man. As others have already pointed out, you're kind of coming across like an idiot.

Anyway, back to discussing the game like we were doing previously. Done with this nonsense.

So almost a year ago I bought uncharted, right after christmas to be exact. And I pretty much regretted it as one of my worst decisions when it came to buying games until I managed to trade in to EB until to get a copy of Valkyria Chronicles. Since I only played the first game for a few hours before I put it away thinking that I would never play it again, I quit a few minutes before the first seadoo section, I decided to rent it and finish it yesterday. Not surprisingly my opinion didn't change upon finishing the game. I still think its terrible, although I will admit that it looks ok and the sound quality in the game is great.

All of that was a preface to the following. Since its that time of the year, and my blockbuster doesn't have any copies for rent at the moment, I am wondering if I should even bother buying a copy of Uncharted 2. Otherwise I would probably rent Killzone 2, since I didn't play that one either, except I didn't like the controls in the demo because the way the aim was accelerated as you moved the thumbstick felt really weird to me.

cakefoo

Kureishima said:
Is reading so difficult? When did I ever say what you claim I did?
Yes, reading you is difficult. Especially posts like the one I quoted:
Hard to believe how much crying is in this thread.
You didn't post that with a specific quote attached. The only thing I could think of there being "much" of in this thread, is negative feedback about how the health obviously changes the game pretty undesirably.

You later specified that you were only referring to posts like "fuck the CoD fuckers," which was only a very small percentage of posts. So at first you sounded like you were jumping on everyone, but then you switched it to being about a select few posts. How is saying "fuck the CoD fuckers" that bad anyway? It's about the non-core gamers who just want every game to have super deadly accurate guns that kill in 2 bursts like COD, instead of having their own identity. It's a generalized statement, sure, but most everyone knows what is trying to be said when it's said.

Your behavior obviously communicates that you are happy with the current balance and are trying to defend those who want Uncharted to be more of a modern warfare twitch shooter. That's fine except, you've never even tried the game in its original state, and you only played 6 rounds of the current setup. So maybe you should be more hesitant about forming your own opinion, much less trying to invalidate the opinions of others.

Sorry if I sound angry. I don't really mean to. I'm just kind of a judgmental person.

Lostconfused said:
So almost a year ago I bought uncharted, right after christmas to be exact. And I pretty much regretted it as one of my worst decisions when it came to buying games until I managed to trade in to EB until to get a copy of Valkyria Chronicles. Since I only played the first game for a few hours before I put it away thinking that I would never play it again, I quit a few minutes before the first seadoo section, I decided to rent it and finish it yesterday. Not surprisingly my opinion didn't change upon finishing the game. I still think its terrible, although I will admit that it looks ok and the sound quality in the game is great.

All of that was a preface to the following. Since its that time of the year, and my blockbuster doesn't have any copies for rent at the moment, I am wondering if I should even bother buying a copy of Uncharted 2. Otherwise I would probably rent Killzone 2, since I didn't play that one either, except I didn't like the controls in the demo because the way the aim was accelerated as you moved the thumbstick felt really weird to me.

Lol. Was there a need to post the story of your life with that first paragraph? You're obviously trolling if a simple "didn't like the first game but the reviews and reactions here have made me interested in part 2" wouldn't suffice.

Like was already mentioned... if you couldn't appreciate part 1, don't bother with part 2. Not because they didn't improve the minor faults of the first (they did) but because you pretty much aren't worthy. Yeah, I'm being like that.

Quick, now comeback with sony/ND/Uncharted defense force label... it works.

cakefoo said:
Yes, reading you is difficult. Especially posts like the one I quoted:

You didn't post that with a specific quote attached. The only thing I could think of there being "much" of in this thread, is negative feedback about how the health obviously changes the game pretty undesirably.

You later specified that you were only referring to posts like "fuck the CoD fuckers," which was only a very small percentage of posts. So at first you sounded like you were jumping on everyone, but then you switched it to being about a select few posts. How is saying "fuck the CoD fuckers" that bad anyway? It's about the non-core gamers who just want every game to have super deadly accurate guns that kill in 2 bursts like COD, instead of having their own identity. It's a generalized statement, sure, but most everyone knows what is trying to be said when it's said.

Gotcha. As has been mentioned, I just came to this thread, so I suppose I walked into a mudbog of response about the change. I can understand what you mean about the non-core gamers, I just thought this kind of criticism could be a little more constructive is all (a bit like the above quoted textblock).
Your behavior obviously communicates that you are happy with the current balance and are trying to defend those who want Uncharted to be more of a modern warfare twitch shooter. That's fine except, you've never even tried the game in its original state, and you only played 6 rounds of the current setup. So maybe you should be more hesitant about forming your own opinion, much less trying to change the opinions of others.

Sorry if I sound angry. I don't really mean to. I'm just kind of a judgmental person.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion about the game, I just don't see how those kinds of posts can really lead to anything.

Yes, I like what I have played. Does it mean I won't like it the "real" way? No, it doesn't. I didn't mean to imply that I was some sort of Uncharted expert when it comes to critiquing the online play, nor that this way is "obviously the best". My message really didn't have much to do with the gameplay, more so I was being critical of the criticism. All I'm saying is that if I were a dev and I released a game, I wouldn't want responses like that. But I'm not a dev and I haven't released a game so it doesn't really matter what I'd want or think. So I suppose that settles it.

WinFonda

Holy wow the FAL is broken with the current health setting :lol Everyone is whoring it.

KilgoreTrout said:
Wow, WinFonda, your videos are both fucking amazing.
I only did Uncharted Hill. The book of eli trailer was done by TheDuoGroup. Sorry for the confusion and thank you.

Damn, this game's online mode is so addictive and fun.

I didn't even think about Uncharted 2 having multiplayer really. I saw the MP demo, but didn't bother to mess with it.

Absolute blast.. I'm surprised this engine makes for so awesome an online action game.. The multi-level areas and climbing, just awesome! I have, so far, had a lack of lag in my games.. is this the case with a lot of you?

Mega Mike

Banned
Holy Crap, just played survival for covert ops, and hot dam, it was fun.
First time ive lasted all 10 rounds. I also won the game, last man standing for round 10 :)!!!

Greg

I'm addicted to the damage change in both elimination and deathmatch... got tired of the crying about me camping, so I swapped the headset for headphones and music.

In a mode that being alive is just as important as getting kills, and people get the idea that running around aimlessly is the way to victory.

Broseybrose

OK. I just rented Uncharted 2 and played for 4 hours straight. Im in chapter 6. I move through the game slowly soaking it all in. As mainly a PC gamer who happens to have a PS3 and a couple games for it... all I can say is Im truly 150% amazed at this game. Its polished beyond polished and does things that are way beyond what i thought any console capable of.

Just totally blown away. Game of the Year, and bow to Naughty Dog. Job well done. DAMN Im so amazed and cant convey just how freaking amazed i am. Im 31 years old and have been gaming for most of them.

Just had to say my thoughts on the game. Carry on.

Broseybrose said:
OK. I just rented Uncharted 2 and played for 4 hours straight. Im in chapter 6. I move through the game slowly soaking it all in. As mainly a PC gamer who happens to have a PS3 and a couple games for it... all I can say is Im truly 150% amazed at this game. Its polished beyond polished and does things that are way beyond what i thought any console capable of.

Just totally blown away. Game of the Year, and bow to Naughty Dog. Job well done. DAMN Im so amazed and cant convey just how freaking amazed i am. Im 31 years old and have been gaming for most of them.

Agh the man with the the Bloodlines avatar has spoken. If I can't rent it by the time i am done with KZ2 I'll give in and buy it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kureishima said:
Damn, this game's online mode is so addictive and fun.

I didn't even think about Uncharted 2 having multiplayer really. I saw the MP demo, but didn't bother to mess with it.

Absolute blast.. I'm surprised this engine makes for so awesome an online action game.. The multi-level areas and climbing, just awesome! I have, so far, had a lack of lag in my games.. is this the case with a lot of you?
You have lag, you just cant tell because everyone's not skipping around all the time.

mr_nothin

Banned
Broseybrose said:

There are games that PC (with it's keyboard/mouse setup) just cant do correctly. This is 1 of those games. Of course you can just get a gamepad for the PC but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Mega Mike said:
Holy Crap, just played survival for covert ops, and hot dam, it was fun.
First time ive lasted all 10 rounds. I also won the game, last man standing for round 10 :)!!!
I've still yet to beat survival mode. I either get bad teammates who don't help out or some jerk who disconnects in round 9. Ugh!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, anyone watched the Eye of Indra series? I enjoyed most of the episodes. I will cover my comments, just in case.

Nathan has serious problems with double-crossing chicks. :lol

More Eddy Raja is always welcome. Somehow I'd love to see him as a partner of Drake in another game. The duo is hilarious.

I expected Rika to screw Drake over Pinkerton, but I think she was kinda good overall on faking his affiliation even with his own brother.

Pinkerton reminds me a lot of Gabriel Roman, but they are bad-ass on their respective ways. (Pinkerton more sadist and "fighter", Gabriel more subtle and gangster) and his voice-actor was amazing as well. I think Pinkerton could have been a great antagonist for a full game.

Animation was good, I didn't like it at first but latter I appreciated the style. The cast was amazing.

Arne & ND, we need some MP new skins. I'd love Pinkerton and Rika on 3D renditions.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
bboyser8 likes to glitch out of the map. He was just wrecking our team in the temple.

edit- oh by the way are stats ever going to retroactively update?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been wondering about this. I mostly play co-op Survival/Gold Rush...and how come I can't choose my own character in those modes? It's always the same characters. Why doesn't it treat it like a deathmatch game where you can choose your own character? Just wondering if anyone knows. I'd love to be able to play as other characters I've purchased since I don't usually play deathmatch games.

sweetvar26 said:
Got a question, how do I take screenshots from a PS3 directly? I know you can't do it on the 360, just not sure about the PS3 but, I remember reading about it a while ago.
I don't know about the single player campaign, but for online multiplayer deathmatches...you can take screenshots of saved matches by watching your replays.

Got a question, how do I take screenshots from a PS3 directly? I know you can't do it on the 360, just not sure about the PS3 but, I remember reading about it a while ago.

mr_nothin

Banned
You know what? I think the spawning system is being a broken a little by the lower health. I've noticed a lot more ppl spawning right next to me/behind me than usual on every map. I think with ppl dying left and right, that the spawn system is being overloaded.

I have to admit I kinda like the reduced health settings. I think it should be an option. I still prefer the standard health system though.

White Tyger is a cheater. I caught him going through walls in Fort 3 times. They should just make it so any area a player isn't supposed to go through will die automatically.
Theres a specific forum where people share cheats and glitches. I wonder if its possible to shut then down.

bernardobri said:
So, anyone watched the Eye of Indra series? I enjoyed most of the episodes. I will cover my comments, just in case.

Nathan has serious problems with double-crossing chicks. :lol

More Eddy Raja is always welcome. Somehow I'd love to see him as a partner of Drake in another game. The duo is hilarious.

I expected Rika to screw Drake over Pinkerton, but I think she was kinda good overall on faking his affiliation even with his own brother.

Pinkerton reminds me a lot of Gabriel Roman, but they are bad-ass on their respective ways. (Pinkerton more sadist and "fighter", Gabriel more subtle and gangster) and his voice-actor was amazing as well. I think Pinkerton could have been a great antagonist for a full game.

Animation was good, I didn't like it at first but latter I appreciated the style. The cast was amazing.

Arne & ND, we need some MP new skins. I'd love Pinkerton and Rika on 3D renditions.

Yeah Eye of Indra was very well made. They should make more of these self-contained, bit sized stories in the Uncharted universe.

Desiato

I saw the first episode of Eye of Indra, but thought it was shit. I prefer actual animation to this comic book style stuff. Does it get any better after the first episode?

Desiato said:
I saw the first episode of Eye of Indra, but thought it was shit. I prefer actual animation to this comic book style stuff. Does it get any better after the first episode?

There are some nice twists. If you didnt like the comic book style, maybe its not for you... the other episodes are in the same style as well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
GeneralIroh said:
They should just make it so any area a player isn't supposed to go through will die automatically.
Yeah, it would be a really quick way to fix these issues. I wonder why ND never fixed all these glitches, some of them have been there since day one :/

jax (old)

Banned
mr_nothin said:
You know what? I think the spawning system is being a broken a little by the lower health. I've noticed a lot more ppl spawning right next to me/behind me than usual on every map. I think with ppl dying left and right, that the spawn system is being overloaded.

I actually think you nailed the spawn thing. I've been spawining near enemies/or them near me - the lowered health thing really does break the game a lot. Nobody in my "clan" if you can call it that wanted to continue playing as we're not fond of getting sniped to death by camping fal assholes. Its ridiculous when you get sniped all the way across the map on the fort. The distance is so far and you die so quick. That's some bullshit right there.

Also played a few games where I shotgunned some guy 3 times with a SAS only to have him punch me and I died. Lag or no lag, bullshit

I think they should have made a "Retribution" medal. I mean I would think it is good if you get the person who just killed you back, lol.

I do think lower health works on Deathmatchm maybe just make it a deathmatch variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom