• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

_RT_

crispyben said:
_RT_ and firehawk12, I've added you... The online thread is dead, so might as well post here: I'm looking to play co-op right now, PSN is Grandben.

I'll be adding people later tonight or tomorrow. Probably won't play till the weekend though.

I'm now in Nepal. It's a lot of shooting, more than I expected. Loved the game up to the
escape from the museum
but then the game became too much of a shooter and it isn't a very good one so I do not really like that.

Will it get less?

jett

D-Member
alr1ghtstart said:
if it's usb. You can even use a rockband mic. You can test if it will work in the xmb audio device options.

Cool thanks, I suppose the PS3 is smart to know it's just a mic and not a headset meaning I'll still get voice chat from other people through regular speakers, yes? :p

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Pizza Luigi said:
I'm now in Nepal. It's a lot of shooting, more than I expected. Loved the game up to the
escape from the museum
but then the game became too much of a shooter and it isn't a very good one so I do not really like that.

Will it get less?
The game is a shooter first, platformer second.

FunkyPajamas said:
Will add you as well tonight (in about 3-4hrs). Haven't had a co-op game in a while and I'm definitely itching for one. :D
Throw me in as well (PSN ID is the same as my GAF username). I'm always up for some Gold Rush and every now and again some Co-Op Objective. Survival I can do without; too long and too easy.

jett said:
Cool thanks, I suppose the PS3 is smart to know it's just a mic and not a headset meaning I'll still get voice chat from other people through regular speakers, yes? :p
If it doesn't do that automatically you can force it manually (Settings -> Accessory Settings -> Audio Device -> Output Device -> System Default Device).

jax (old)

Banned
huahuahha.. the new skins will be mine! :p

I really would like them to make funny ones though. :p Like Resident Evil level of outrageousness.

j16pi1.jpg

what is this?! Daniel Pinkerton?

I want this

Killthee said:
Throw me in as well (PSN ID is the same as my GAF username). I'm always up for some Gold Rush and every now and again some Co-Op Objective. Survival I can do without; too long and too easy.
Will do, thanks.

jett

D-Member
Killthee said:

If it doesn't do that automatically you can force it manually (Settings -> Accessory Settings -> Audio Device -> Output Device -> System Default Device).

Awesome, I guess I'll take the plunge and buy one of them mics. :p

Killthee said:

No, it's an adventure game. Don't get me wrong, I really like the occassional shoot-out, but shoot-outs when they don't even make sense are a big no-no in my book.

However, the game looks really good and plays beautifully. Not really sold on the shooting mechanics but the climbing and platforming elements are mostly solid, although sometimes weirdly awkward when just having played Assassins Creed, but overall the experience is top notch. Especially the intro was like a huge-budget movie, good stuff.

I'll try to get through this part tomorrow, I'm happy as long as I can play to the next cutscene, those are brilliant.

jax (old)

Banned
Pizza Luigi said:
No, it's an adventure game. Don't get me wrong, I really like the occassional shoot-out, but shoot-outs when they don't even make sense are a big no-no in my book.

However, the game looks really good and plays beautifully. Not really sold on the shooting mechanics but the climbing and platforming elements are mostly solid, although sometimes weirdly awkward when just having played Assassins Creed, but overall the experience is top notch. Especially the intro was like a huge-budget movie, good stuff.

I'll try to get through this part tomorrow, I'm happy as long as I can play to the next cutscene, those are brilliant.

The platforming was secondary to the shooting. Its like that in the first game as well. If it weren't for the fast motion tweak, I'd not enjoy the climbing bits in my platinum run. Because as good as the platforming/climbing was, it was by the numbers. Most games where you have to climb/jump (POP/UNCHARTED..etc) all suffer from the by the numberness. However, its not so bad here. I got completely bored of POP because it was SO linear and dumb.

Dibbz

Love the new characters. The comic was really interesting to. I'm digging Naughty Dog's DLC strategy so far. One free map for everyone and 2 new characters plus a nice prequel digital comic for just over £2.

4174785447_36547ac572_o.jpg

4174785453_be83f70467_o.jpg

4174785465_e156587cb8_o.jpg

4174785473_2a5faba557_o.jpg

Wowbagger

Those were some fun co-op games earlier, BleachEX and Bajan32. Too bad we couldn't get through Sanctuary on Crushing. That damn minigun soldier raining death from above was way overkill. :'(

Jax said:
The platforming was secondary to the shooting. Its like that in the first game as well. If it weren't for the fast motion tweak, I'd not enjoy the climbing bits in my platinum run. Because as good as the platforming/climbing was, it was by the numbers. Most games where you have to climb/jump (POP/UNCHARTED..etc) all suffer from the by the numberness. However, its not so bad here. I got completely bored of POP because it was SO linear and dumb.

.... really?

I disagree. I think Uncharted is definitely an "adventure" game by classification. Very Tomb Raider-ish, but oh-so-much better! I think the second game had a bit heavier action focus than the first, but the platforming elements in Uncharted, I don't know if I could ask for too much better at this point in time. I have the opposite sort of reaction. I felt like Uncharted 2 was the culmination of everything I could have every wanted from an "adventure game" (in the most core sense of the word) as a kid. If I could have played something like this when I was younger, my brain would have exploded from all the amazing wonder that is within it. I kept thinking to myself as I played how it nearly fulfilled every desire I could have wanted from the game, except having to climb up that train twice. I like the concept of picking back up there, but I find climbing the train more than once to be entirely irritating for some completely arbitrary reason.

The first Uncharted took me by surprise - I really was thrilled with it. I honestly bought it as a complete afterthought when I purchased my Ps3. I thought "well, it's cheap, people say it's good, ok.." I was completely blown away by the experience. I made the mistake of renting Uncharted 2. I thought it would be a rental, I could possibly say that about the first. I was wrong! Being that I purchased Modern Warfare 2, it should have been the other way around. MW2 is more of a rental for a player like me. Uncharted 2 is a keeper in every way.

I still can't get over how wonderful Uncharted 2 was as an experience for me. I'm not even a huge Naughty Dog fan (not much care for neoplatformer like Jak), but these two games have really been a game changer and I see with new eyes.

I'm a shameless Uncharted fanboy now.

Imm0rt4l

CrushDance said:
Same thing happened to me as well, two firmwares ago, Did you grab the new firmware?
yea, I've since downloaded the firmware update and now the game seems to be working. Looking to finally play some crushing this weekend to take a break from all this studying.

Yeef

Kureishima said:
.... really?

I disagree. I think Uncharted is definitely an "adventure" game by classification.
When I think 'adventure' I think stuff like Monkey Island and The Longest Journey, not so much Tomb Raider and Uncharted. I'd definitely file Uncharted under shooter if I had to pick a single genre, but I'm not really a big fan of labels.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, Uncharted is very much a shooter, in my opinion

Yeef said:
When I think 'adventure' I think stuff like Monkey Island and The Longest Journey, not so much Tomb Raider and Uncharted. I'd definitely file Uncharted under shooter if I had to pick a single genre, but I'm not really a big fan of labels.

Well, point and click adventure is something totally different to me, Quest for Glory being one of my favorite games in the world, I kind of think of it as a subgenre.

Uncharted 2 probably is more of a "shooter" than I give it credit for, but oh well. I don't really mean to imply it's not a shooter, but the "harumph-adventure-time" feel really shines through to me.

edit: even if it's a shooter you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands!!!

jax (old)

Banned
Rez said:
yeah, Uncharted is very much a shooter, in my opinion

was looking at the stats and you're level 16 in MP? You really need to come online sometimes. :p

re: stats looking at - I was looking at a guy on my list who is level 57 and my heart literally sank at the amount of money we're talking about. What's the word? Its an exponential growth in requirement. Just wow.

Yeef

Jax said:
re: stats looking at - I was looking at a guy on my list who is level 57 and my heart literally sank at the amount of money we're talking about. What's the word? Its an exponential growth in requirement. Just wow.
Everything after 50 is essentially the equivalent of prestige in MW.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jax said:
was looking at the stats and you're level 16 in MP? You really need to come online sometimes. :p

19, actually. almost 20. I think I've played something like fifty matches over twenty hours (despite what the site says), which is a lot for me, as I usually only play three or four matches in one sitting. I haven't been on in a while, I've been playing lots of other stuff for the first time recently, so UC2 has been put to the side, unfortunately.

hamchan

So what are the good times for multiplayer? Was playing at 8pm Australian Eastern Time last night and it was hard to find matches with only 2000 people online. I'm assuming weekends American prime time?

Bajan32

Wowbagger said:
Those were some fun co-op games earlier, BleachEX and Bajan32. Too bad we couldn't get through Sanctuary on Crushing. That damn minigun soldier raining death from above was way overkill. :'(
Haha for sure WB.. Sorry I kept getting picked off like an old guy in a Cheney quail hunt party lol. But fun games for sure with you guys

Just finished single player on Normal. As of now it is one of my favourite games ever, it has great everything. If Arkham Asylum had kept my attention after getting the Platnum Trophy then it might have been my GOTY, but U2's mulitplayer and co-op are so fun it takes the cake. I'm now starting out Multiplayer (I'm level 4 now I think :lol) if anyone wants to screw around, especially any Aussie's out there feel free to add me. PSN: Major_Ocelot

I love how they released a motion comic prequel thingy, I got the pack with the skins. A steal for under $5. It comes with a map does it? Is there any other DLC apart from this yet? I've been away for a while.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I went into a round tonight. I said hi to a part in the lobby. Then when it turned out we were on separate teams these two proceeded to mock my name. I ended up going 26-4 for the round with a few captures and our team destroyed.

After the round these two kids bombarded me with messages about how I cheated, I camped, I stayed up high, and the reason I practice so much is, because I've never had a girlfriend (she was actually the other person in my party, we often play together), I'm a douche bag, and then several other offensive and racist terms. Once again further proof that this community is full of assholes. That being said I love those bitter tears:lol

Here's my response to the camping argument... I despise it. It's boring and it's a broken method if you face the right team. I always tell my friend when we're playing, campers are easy kills, you know where they are you know where they're going to be.

jax (old)

Banned
Bought the player skins. Rika is cool... People are really surprised to see her. One guy stopped to check out her corpse and said "it's not Chloe"... Haha

Broseybrose

The-Warning said:
In a just world this game would've sold 3 million by now and top out at 5 million. But noooooooo...
I think out of all the games that are out now or are coming out, UC2 will have the most legs. Practically ANYBODY who buys a PS3 is going to want it. The only games i bought for PS3 are LBP and GTA4... and tomorrow im buying this (been playing a rental).

web01

What a disgusting act by naughty dog shiting in the face of the people who purchased the eye of indra episodes before the combo pack which was only a week ago FFS. Now we miss out on the online skins and get ripped off with a higher price for the episodes.

Seriously WTF naughty dog thats now you should reward early adopters.

Wont be supporting any more uncharted DLC what a fucking joke.

mr_nothin

Banned
web01 said:
What a disgusting act by naughty dog shiting in the face of the people who purchased the eye of indra episodes before the combo pack which was only a week ago FFS. Now we miss out on the online skins and get ripped off with a higher price for the episodes.

Seriously WTF naughty dog thats now you should reward early adopters.

Wont be supporting any more uncharted DLC what a fucking joke.
And exactly what made you think that you would be getting the best deal that you could ever get for that DLC? I didnt know that products stayed the same price or didnt increase in value over time.

Dont ALL early adaptors, of anything electronic, end up being shafted in some way/shape/or form?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom