• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shameless

Banned
Just finished this on normal mode and I have a few complaints.

Nothing has really changed from the first game in terms of gameplay. Everything is so ultra-streamlined, it feels like there's no time to play around the world. Far too many context sensitive moments make the game feel very scripted and add to the linearity of the experience. The climbing sections still feel tacked on to me. The camera babys you along pointing in the exact direction you should be going, and drake won't reach out unless there's a ledge there. Is it not ok to die in a game any more?

The jumping animations are often ridiculous and physically impossible. Nobody can jump horizontally across a canyon, you start falling as soon as you jump. The cover system leaves a lot to be desired compared to a game like Gears and it's often frustrating to roll instead of slide into cover, or move away when I want to spin across a gap to another piece of cover. Enemies still absorb bullets like a brick wall as in the first game and have perfect grenade aim every single fucking time.

The characters were well acted, even if Drake is annoying twat with his grating "hilarious" quips he had to give us constantly throughout. The story was alright for a popcorn movie.

I can't fault the graphics, of course and the online seems solid and fun so far.

Seems like another underserving 95+ metacritic game in my opinion.

DEO3

Got this for Christmas but I weary of playing it since I never played the original, how closely, if at all, do they tie in to one another?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DEO3 said:
Got this for Christmas but I weary of playing it since I never played the original, how closely, if at all, do they tie in to one another?
you'll be fine, go for it. the games aren't really linked at all.

Quincey

Banned
Shameless said:

Nothing has really changed from the first game in terms of gameplay. Everything is so ultra-streamlined, it feels like there's no time to play around the world. Far too many context sensitive moments make the game feel very scripted and add to the linearity of the experience. The climbing sections still feel tacked on to me. The camera babys you along pointing in the exact direction you should be going, and drake won't reach out unless there's a ledge there. Is it not ok to die in a game any more?

The jumping animations are often ridiculous and physically impossible. Nobody can jump horizontally across a canyon, you start falling as soon as you jump. The cover system leaves a lot to be desired compared to a game like Gears and it's often frustrating to roll instead of slide into cover, or move away when I want to spin across a gap to another piece of cover. Enemies still absorb bullets like a brick wall as in the first game and have perfect grenade aim every single fucking time.

The characters were well acted, even if Drake is annoying twat with his grating "hilarious" quips he had to give us constantly throughout. The story was alright for a popcorn movie.

I can't fault the graphics, of course and the online seems solid and fun so far.

i agree with all of this.

maybe i am just tired of popcorn movie stories. I was just hoping for it to be a little less predictable. people with accents betray you....surprise.

So i tried everything trying to get the dlc to work. What the fuck are you supposed to do when you download the dlc ? There was 2 files and i installed both many times but the skins still doesnt show up anywhere.

I also tried deleting the dlc data in the game data but still nothing.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Milk Lizard said:
So i tried everything trying to get the dlc to work. What the fuck are you supposed to do when you download the dlc ? There was 2 files and i installed both many times but the skins still doesnt show up anywhere.

I also tried deleting the dlc data in the game data but still nothing.
Skins? Rika and Pinkerton? They should be under your Online profile (Connect to multi, then press square in the lobby to view your profile/select skin). Have you used up all 5 of your game activations? Are you playing the Euro copy of the game?

Rikyfree

Shameless said:

Wow, I disagree so much I can't even begin to fathom it.

Shameless said:

I can see someone say this even though my feelings towards the game are opposite. I just don't understand why you don't see why it got 95+ on metacritic and various game of the year awards. There is nothing as polished that came out this year. I mean you could disagree but there are many reasons why so many people love this game.

Quincey said:

maybe i am just tired of popcorn movie stories. I was just hoping for it to be a little less predictable. people with accents betray you....surprise.
The story was nothing special. The ride, however, was spectacular, and it was delivered perfectly. I think that's why the "story" was a success.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
tzare said:
I mean, they should go for something that kept interest further, like MGS, Mass effect, even leave part of the story for further episodes, misteries, plot twists and so on.
WhatATwist.gif

No, just no. I'm sick and tired of cliffhangers and twists that all without exception lead into something that sucks and disappoints. TV shows have become terrible with this nowadays. Sticking to something basic and doing it really well is a much better way to go, and much less insulting to everyone involved.

Killthee said:
Skins? Rika and Pinkerton? They should be under your Online profile (Connect to multi, then press square in the lobby to view your profile/select skin). Have you used up all 5 of your game activations? Are you playing the Euro copy of the game?

Playing the euro version and downloaded them. They are not in the lobby profile or anything and i have tried re downloading them and installing them twice now. :/

Will have to try and email naughtydog/sony.

Edit : Hah is naughtydogs site down again ? When i click login on there it says "Invalid GET Data".

Edit Edit : WTF Just realized (a french guy on a forum said the same thing) that it's locked from country to country. I bought my game from shopto (UK site) and then i cant use DLC bought in Danish store ? Fuck you naughty dog. Seriously fuck you. No warning about that at all. Shit like that is just fucking pathetic, why the fuck do that ? And why not put a warning on it ?

So guess i cant use any dlc you have to pay for and is done with this game.

Levi

Banned
Haven't been sold on Sit. Awareness until this last match. Faced a team of 40s-50s whose preferred method of was standing still and using scoped weapons. Destroyed 'em with my pistol. I was lolling when they started rushing the rocket launcher. Was one grenade kill away from my third Triple Threat medal when time ran out. Of course, afterward came the bitter, bitter tears. Told 'em I was just trying to teach 'em to play right, to keep moving. They weren't hearing it--apparently it was my booster that kept killing 'em and not the fact that I kept moving while they kept trying to hole up.

tzare

acevans2 said:
Same here. Make it like MGS or Mass Effect? Uuuuugh. I don't think that is the kind of experience NDI wants to give us.
well, at least more story driven,well in fact it starts great with that train scene and wow, what happened there!?, but fails to maintain a real interest on what is happening, there are some minor twists, but that's it.That is what makes Uncharted2 stay below MGS for example, not as a game, but as an overall experience. It lacks that punch, that wow, mistery or interest that some other games have. Maybe ND just don't wanna do this, i am fine,but it is a pitty because the game has everything, gameplay, art, cinematic experience, great characters, superb graphics and audio, great score.
i'd love to see it go a bit darker, or maybe going further into mythology , just like God of War does.
I still think is the best game this gen, though. maybe if it was done like a trilogy, a very popular thing these days , they could elaborate a better 'world'. I do not know if i manage to make myself understood XD

No, just no. I'm sick and tired of cliffhangers and twists that all without exception lead into something that sucks and disappoints. TV shows have become terrible with this nowadays. Sticking to something basic and doing it really well is a much better way to go, and much less insulting to everyone involved.
well i am fine if they go for the 3rd game the same way, just that there is way for improvement there. Maybe not a cliffhanger, maybe just a better 'universe' around drake. Now it just happens like he was in the middle of the story without a real motivation.

Levi

Banned
I would like an Uncharted "Art Of" book, both soundtracks on vinyl, and a set of action figures featuring all the main characters by NECA.

Get on it, Naughty Dog.

mm04

So I finally fired up Uncharted 2 and am a few hours in. I'm having fun, but one thing I noticed right off the bat is I had trouble adjusting to the shooting mechanics after playing KZ2. I can't quite place what it is, but the guns feel very sluggish to me for some reason. I adjusted to the shooting in KZ2 almost immediately and enjoyed it FWIW. I'm interested to know if anyone else experienced the same sensation. It's been a long time since I finished Uncharted, but I don't remember complaining about the gunplay in it.

Anerythristic said:
They didn't feel during the beta that the AK 47 starter waepon is close to useless? My 11 year old son literally asked me why does it shoot like that as he was watching me play some.

AK 47 is my favorite multiplayer rifle weapon. Don't hold the button down when you shoot, fire in controlled bursts or single shot. . It's an AK!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kureishima said:
AK 47 is my favorite multiplayer rifle weapon. Don't hold the button down when you shoot, fire in controlled bursts or single shot. . It's an AK!
Down the Irons says you're wrong.

And I laugh in pity of those who can't master the AK 47. That weapon fuckin' rules.

Shameless said:

Seriously? Wow! Hide your flames better next time!

Edit: Double wow! Your post on Batman Arkham Asylum is just as blasphemous as this post, if not more so!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
VsRobot said:
I would like an Uncharted "Art Of" book, both soundtracks on vinyl, and a set of action figures featuring all the main characters by NECA.

Get on it, Naughty Dog.

Some good ideas would be:

Action figures made by NECA

An art book done in the fashion like Drake's journal with funny quips.

A Sully "Goddamn" Sullivan beer mug

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kureishima said:
What do you mean about DtI?
With Down the Irons, you can easily hold down the trigger button and kill people while holding the AK, without the need to shoot in smaller bursts.

You can do it without the booster too, but it's extremely easy with it.

Kittonwy

Banned
GG tonight guyz. The elimination at the beginning was lolz.
Indifferent2.gif

DarkJC

Himuro said:
I'm on uh, chapter 17 of the story.

How much longer till I beat it? Hell, I could finish the rest of the game in one more sitting but I need to head to bed.

Playing it on hard, first time through, I finished it in 10 hours 50 minutes if that means anything to you.

Yeef

I don't think the AK is bad, but I do think it's outclassed in one way or another by every other weapon. The advantages of the power weapons and scoped weapons are obvious, but the M4 is also better than the AK in pretty much every way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeef said:
I don't think the AK is bad, but I do think it's outclassed in one way or another by every other weapon. The advantages of the power weapons and scoped weapons are obvious, but the M4 is also better than the AK in pretty much every way.

I'm only at rank 17 now so I don't have all that much experience, but I felt like it was awful at first and would always go for the FAL instead. But I've been using it a lot more and actually like it, and like stated above DtI makes it really powerful.

My best moment in the entire MP so far was earlier with it--I grabbed a gas can, watched as I saw a few people come near and blew one away. I took cover and got a triple kill with the AK, and then rolled away to reload while the last team member ran in to his death.

And hell, you start with it, so might as well get used to using it a bit.

Rikyfree

Papercuts said:
I'm only at rank 17 now so I don't have all that much experience, but I felt like it was awful at first and would always go for the FAL instead. But I've been using it a lot more and actually like it, and like stated above DtI makes it really powerful.

My best moment in the entire MP so far was earlier with it--I grabbed a gas can, watched as I saw a few people come near and blew one away. I took cover and got a triple kill with the AK, and then rolled away to reload while the last team member ran in to his death.

And hell, you start with it, so might as well get used to using it a bit.
My opinion of weaponry: M4>FAL>AK in medium to long distance. Pure Long Distance: FAL>M4>AK. Short distance: M4>AK>FAL. Therefore best rifle in the game to me is the M4.

Althoran

Finished it last night on hard. What a great game. Just like a popcorn movie.
But the last fight wasn't fun for me though.

Everything else was great. I do think they made the game easier than the first one seeing as how I could easily play it on hard and had a lot of difficulty doing that in Uncharted 1.

Thank you Naughty Dog for making this game.
Uncharted 3 I will definitely buy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
I'm on uh, chapter 17 of the story.

How much longer till I beat it? Hell, I could finish the rest of the game in one more sitting but I need to head to bed.
probably too late a response to be relevant, but you still have roughly a third of the game, maybe even a little more, to go. there's some long chapters towards the end.

LiK

Looks like that freeze bug near the end of the game still exists. My bro-in-law was playing it last week and he froze at the exact same spot like everyone else. Cmon ND...

Goddamn, got to chapter 18.

I must say, chapter 16 is A B S O L U T E L Y M I N D B L O W I N G.
never saw anything in a videogame that made me say "OMFG it looks completely real". Yeah, no weapons or anything, just passing through a village but it felt unreal.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
neojubei said:
Some good ideas would be:

Action figures made by NECA

A Sully "Goddamn" Sullivan beer mug
Emily Rose signed picture.

Make it happen SCEA.

Lagspike_exe said:
Goddamn, got to chapter 18.

I must say, chapter 16 is A B S O L U T E L Y M I N D B L O W I N G.
never saw anything in a videogame that made me say "OMFG it looks completely real". Yeah, no weapons or anything, just passing through a village but it felt unreal.
I love the little interactions with the villagers and animals.

Gyrian

Man, I underestimated how quickly the image host would bite it. Let's try again.

I wanted to share with you something I've gotten into the habit of doing for my iTunes albums.
Here is some alternative album art I've made for the series:

The last one is an alternative Uncharted 2 cover without the ice, I'm not entirely pleased with how its turned out yet.

Can't take credit for anything there other than some Photoshop-fu.
Drake's Fortune cover is based on an NDI logo from back when it was released.
The iced U2 cover is of course inspired by the awesome alternate game covers found in this very thread.

P.S. Awesome games last night as always.
All-GAF Elimination is turning out to be a great sport!

neojubei said:

Hell, I'd even pay for an exact copy of what he carries in-game!

Brazil said:
With Down the Irons, you can easily hold down the trigger button and kill people while holding the AK, without the need to shoot in smaller bursts.

You can do it without the booster too, but it's extremely easy with it.

That only counts for relatively close distances, right? For Fal-like distances, it seems to me that I still need to have controlled bursts.

Curufinwe

Massive interview with Evan Wells:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...ls-Reflects-on-Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves.html

G4: What's one thing that made it into the final game that you or the team weren't completely satisfied with?

EW: That's a pretty easy one, because we got called out for it in some of our reviews...it was the museum. Not the whole museum, but people kind of lumped it all into the museum. I think it was primarily it was that second courtyard. When you got in there and there were all the guards around, and you had to follow Flynn through that area. We knew it wasn't 100% polished but we had to get it out there. We playtested it and knew there was going to be some hang-ups there, but we just didn't have the time to address it.

G4: What did you get called out for? I remember getting through that without any major issues...

EW: And that's the thing. If you listened to Flynn and saw which way he went, and you went to the right and went to the fountain...smooth sailing. But if for whatever reason you got distracted and you thought "Okay, I have to take all these guards out," or something, you could get really in a loop there where you're getting caught over and over again. And yeah, we apologize for that. [laughs]

I am one of those people who got totally stuck on this section. I went to the pillars on the right like Flynn said, but after killing the guard there and the one next to the fountain, I couldn't figure out how to dispose of the guard at the railing without raising the alarm.

So I assumed he had to be killed last, and I wasted an hour trying to kill every other guard first.

tzare

Himuro said:
He's an explorer. He likes treasure. He likes history. That's all the motivation he needs. It's like Indiana Jones: give neat artifact to go after, put in hot chicks and give reason to explore the world for this treasure. It's a classic formula. Anyone expecting otherwise, especially from a vidya game is fooling themselves and probably teenagers.
yeah, but i still think that what is going could improve with a little more ambition, however, reading G4's interview i fell they really know what they are doing and i'm very confident. I am on my second playthrough now, to unlock platinum and i am enjoying it very much now that the story doesn't matter any more, just looking at the beatiful art, listening to drake sully and the girls.... it is just awesome. Maybe it just doesn't need any thing else, but i'd love to see it go further :)

Quincey said:

Uh...

ONE person with an accent betrays you, a minor character at that, and they establish his betrayal in the freaking tutorial/backstory.

Chloe Frazier, who has an accent, and is the one you might think was betraying you the whole time, never does--she is reluctantly heroic and cleverly brave the whole time, and is loyal and surprisingly selfless and caring in the end.

The guy with the German accent, (usually the most evil accent you can get,) Karl Schafer, turns out to be an ex-Nazi expedition leader (usually the most evil kind of expedition leader you can get,) yet it turns out he basically saved the world once by betraying the Nazis, and basically dedicated the rest of his life to protecting what he knew from evildoers.

Tenzan doesn't speak English at all, even with an accent, and he was probably the coolest motherfucker in the game.

Shameless said:
The jumping animations are often ridiculous and physically impossible. Nobody can jump horizontally across a canyon, you start falling as soon as you jump.

You are totally right. I mean a horizontal jump of 20' is nearly impossible.

Oh wait. No it's not. 83 college women did just that in the USA this year alone. The 1,000th ranked man in college athletics will jump 21' 9.42". Hell, a number of football players can do that, and they don't even specialize in the sport. The top 50 men in college long jump will all jump 25' easy.

http://www.athletic.net/TrackandField/Division/Event.aspx?DivID=10057&Gender=F&Event=35

Are the jumps unrealistic? Yeah, especially the hanging ones. And Drake's cardio is impossible too. But it's a game--a game that's supposed to be fun and full of action. Is that really a deal-breaker for you?

If so, I'd suggest you quit gaming before you run into a game featuring a fat plumber named Mario. Hell, at least Drake is in shape. Mario would be in full-on cardiac arrest by world 1-3.

:lol

Desiato

Pristine_Condition said:
You are totally right. I mean a horizontal jump of 20' is nearly impossible.

Oh wait. No it's not. 83 college women did just that in the USA this year alone. The 1,000th ranked man in college athletics will jump 21' 9.42". Hell, a number of football players can do that, and they don't even specialize in the sport. The top 50 men in college long jump will all jump 25' easy.

http://www.athletic.net/TrackandField/Division/Event.aspx?DivID=10057&Gender=F&Event=35

Are the jumps unrealistic? Yeah, especially the hanging ones. And Drake's cardio is impossible too. But it's a game--a game that's supposed to be fun and full of action. Is that really a deal-breaker for you?

If so, I'd suggest you quit gaming before you run into a game featuring a fat plumber named Mario. Hell, at least Drake is in shape. Mario would be in full-on cardiac arrest by world 1-3.

:lol
33uc0o0.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
EW: We just tried an experimental weekend recently where we made some adjustments to some of the damage and health and stuff like that, and we've polled on NaughtyDog.com and they liked the changes. The majority of the people...there are some people, of course, where every change is bad, and they may be some of the loudest voices on your forums and message boards, but the vast majority of the people really supported the changes. We added a brand new multiplayer map for free as DLC and we've got a bunch more maps in the works right now. They're at the office now, slaving away and getting those ready. We also added leaderboards and we're adding clan tags, and we've improved the load times from something like 50 seconds to something like 15...so we're constantly trying to add improvements and we're not just sort of "fire and forget." We're really trying to support the community, because anything that we keep developing for this is just technology we're going to have under our belts that we can use in the future.

noooooo

alr1ghtstart said:
EW: We just tried an experimental weekend recently where we made some adjustments to some of the damage and health and stuff like that, and we've polled on NaughtyDog.com and they liked the changes. The majority of the people...there are some people, of course, where every change is bad, and they may be some of the loudest voices on your forums and message boards, but the vast majority of the people really supported the changes. We added a brand new multiplayer map for free as DLC and we've got a bunch more maps in the works right now. They're at the office now, slaving away and getting those ready. We also added leaderboards and we're adding clan tags, and we've improved the load times from something like 50 seconds to something like 15...so we're constantly trying to add improvements and we're not just sort of "fire and forget." We're really trying to support the community, because anything that we keep developing for this is just technology we're going to have under our belts that we can use in the future.

noooooo

Bummer. Just proves the majority of people who were polled are idiots. Should've been a playlist, and not game-wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom