• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irish said:
Can a person single-handedly ruin a game for another? Well, I didn't think so until I met gokkyun. After playing against her, my will to play U2 has pretty much left. Yes, she and her team of level X's did beat us, but that's not what bothered me. I mean, I'm that guy who's constantly complementing the other team for getting good kills/playing a decent, clean game. Our game against them started out badly with her whining incessantly in my ear because our team "blindfires like little bitches". Of course, every single one of them was using Down the Irons. Then when our team started talking back (which we rarely do), she has the gull to say, "They wouldn't act this way if I wasn't a girl." No, bitch, we wouldn't act this way if you hadn't started whining in the first place. After they left us (three games which we lost), I was still feeling pretty decent, but then I decided to check her stats page. (posted in her name) Her total playtime: 545 hours. That's fucking 22.7 days straight.

Anyway, I'll try to keep playing, but I'm really not feeling it anymore.

She has $133,649,100 cash. :lol :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Irish said:
Can a person single-handedly ruin a game for another? Well, I didn't think so until I met gokkyun. After playing against her, my will to play U2 has pretty much left. Yes, she and her team of level X's did beat us, but that's not what bothered me. I mean, I'm that guy who's constantly complementing the other team for getting good kills/playing a decent, clean game. Our game against them started out badly with her whining incessantly in my ear because our team "blindfires like little bitches". Of course, every single one of them was using Down the Irons. Then when our team started talking back (which we rarely do), she has the gull to say, "They wouldn't act this way if I wasn't a girl." No, bitch, we wouldn't act this way if you hadn't started whining in the first place. After they left us (three games which we lost), I was still feeling pretty decent, but then I decided to check her stats page. (posted in her name) Her total playtime: 545 hours. That's fucking 22.7 days straight.

Anyway, I'll try to keep playing, but I'm really not feeling it anymore.

You'll get your revenge, don't worry. Militant kitton will never forget, nothing is forgiven.
angry.gif

Bebpo

Banned
So I finished this game last night, goty goty and all that. But I have a couple of story questions:

1. What exactly happened to Marco Polo's crew? They drank the resin and it made their teeth black and then...? What did they "become" that was so scary? Why did they all kill each other? I was expecting Lasaravich's crew to answer this when they drank it but then drake killed them all before anyone had a chance to "change" :lol Are the purple inhabitants of the lost city supposed to represent what happens when you change?

2. So was the cursed cargo that Polo was carrying on his ships the crew itself that had drank from the tree of life? Because he didn't actually take the stuff back, right?

3. I'm fairly confused about Shafer's expedition. First of all why were they in some random ancient tomb if it wasn't where shambala was? Second of all if they hadn't made it to shambala, then they wouldn't have drank from the tree of life, so uh, why would shafer have killed them?

Yeah, I loved the game but the last half of the story seemed kinda random in the polo plot and instead was more of an action movie plot to stop the badguy.

how the hell are you guys winning 300+ games and only losing <90 ? I mean I feel like I'm good but I never get that kinda luck with my teams. Or are you guys mostly partied with each other?

Irish

Contrary to my posts here, I'm not really one of those players who rage every single time I die or lose. In fact, the only time I show signs of raging is when I'm playing Gaf-only games and even then it's more like fake rage because I know everybody. (Lagaru, CHRP the Lagswitcher, and Ryanardo "The Bastard" DaVinci)

I think my rage stems from a series of unfortunate events culminating in the matches and subsequent losses against this lady's team. I mean, I started the night out pretty well with high (15-20) kill counts while playing with a full party. (I usually only do that well when playing with only one other person.) Then, a few of us left and we kinda became a revolving door party (which isn't all that uncommon, but we were switching things up pretty constantly.) My performance started to meander into the underwhelming territory, and some of the party started tiring. To add to that, I started having controller resync issues and dropped down to three bars instead of my usual five. (I started to freeze up during matches.) Somehow, in our first match against UNCH, I managed to pull off either 16 or 19 kills, but we still end up losing. Good ole gokkyun started making my ears bleed in the first couple of seconds though.

In addition to my connection issues, I also had somewhat of a headache after watching 5 straight hours of VH1's 100 Most Shocking Music Moments followed by two hours of bowling.

We lost fair and square, so don't think I'm trying to come up with excuses, but it managed to piss me off something fierce.

Wowbagger

JustHadToJoin said:
how the hell are you guys winning 300+ games and only losing <90 ? I mean I feel like I'm good but I never get that kinda luck with my teams. Or are you guys mostly partied with each other?

Yeah, parties are to blame. A 3+ players strong GAF party is very hard to defeat.

Don't stop playing, Broken. :'(

Gyrian

Man, gone a couple of days, and this is what I'm missing?

You are Broken Oath, not Broken Spirit. I expect you to be around when I turn back up on my revived PS3, haha.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bebpo said:
So I finished this game last night, goty goty and all that. But I have a couple of story questions:

1. What exactly happened to Marco Polo's crew? They drank the resin and it made their teeth black and then...? What did they "become" that was so scary? Why did they all kill each other? I was expecting Lasaravich's crew to answer this when they drank it but then drake killed them all before anyone had a chance to "change" :lol Are the purple inhabitants of the lost city supposed to represent what happens when you change?

2. So was the cursed cargo that Polo was carrying on his ships the crew itself that had drank from the tree of life? Because he didn't actually take the stuff back, right?

3. I'm fairly confused about Shafer's expedition. First of all why were they in some random ancient tomb if it wasn't where shambala was? Second of all if they hadn't made it to shambala, then they wouldn't have drank from the tree of life, so uh, why would shafer have killed them?

Yeah, I loved the game but the last half of the story seemed kinda random in the polo plot and instead was more of an action movie plot to stop the badguy.

Lazarevic's crew did not drink the sap, only Lazarevic did.

The cursed cargo was probably the resin, Drake didn't realize the resin he lit to illuminate the caverns was edible.

Shafer's nazi friends ate the resin in the boxes, didn't really make it to the tree.

Gyrian

bangladesh said:
Question about the end of the game:
What causes Shambhala to crumble to the ground?

My impresion was that once Drake ignites the resin from the tree of life itself, it starts a chain reaction throughout the city. You've seen other blue resin trees in Shambhala, they're probably interconnected by their roots, or something to that effect.

Bebpo said:

Besides what Kitton's already explained, I thought
Shafer may not have been a Nazi himself, just their guide. His expedition was well before WW2, if I remember correctly. You make the discovery about his team just about as he must have. It happened as they were almost upon Shambhala. He speaks of what was at stake, what he had to do. He realized what it would've meant to allow the Nazis to have the power contained in the lost city, so he turns on them before that can happen. I think the resin only came to play with this expedition in that they recognized it was important and should carry some. Drake knows this too, but never seems to have any extra on him.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
bangladesh said:
Question about the end of the game:
What causes Shambhala to crumble to the ground?
Fire breaks out on the pool of resin near the huge tree (the final boss battle), the roots begin to wither causing the buildings to crumble.

Killthee said:
Fire breaks out on the pool of resin near the huge tree (the final boss battle), the roots begin to wither causing the buildings to crumble.
& Gryrian:
Aw man. So that tree is like the heart of Shambhala. How'd I not get that? Well, I'm so happy it makes sense now.
:D

Kittonwy

Banned
Irish said:
Contrary to my posts here, I'm not really one of those players who rage every single time I die or lose. In fact, the only time I show signs of raging is when I'm playing Gaf-only games and even then it's more like fake rage because I know everybody. (Lagaru, CHRP the Lagswitcher, and Ryanardo "The Bastard" DaVinci)

I think my rage stems from a series of unfortunate events culminating in the matches and subsequent losses against this lady's team. I mean, I started the night out pretty well with high (15-20) kill counts while playing with a full party. (I usually only do that well when playing with only one other person.) Then, a few of us left and we kinda became a revolving door party (which isn't all that uncommon, but we were switching things up pretty constantly.) My performance started to meander into the underwhelming territory, and some of the party started tiring. To add to that, I started having controller resync issues and dropped down to three bars instead of my usual five. (I started to freeze up during matches.) Somehow, in our first match against UNCH, I managed to pull off either 16 or 19 kills, but we still end up losing. Good ole gokkyun started making my ears bleed in the first couple of seconds though.

In addition to my connection issues, I also had somewhat of a headache after watching 5 straight hours of VH1's 100 Most Shocking Music Moments followed by two hours of bowling.

We lost fair and square, so don't think I'm trying to come up with excuses, but it managed to piss me off something fierce.

Imma kill em all.
angry.gif

Dedication Through Light said:
The stats look questionable or maybe people leave their PS3's online on Uncharted all night

Global Average of Games: 35
Global Average of Time :>920hrs!!!!!

They were around 880hrs yesterday. :lol

Snipes424

I have decided to never do another plunder match without a premade team. I didn't think it was possible, but the people in this game are actually dumber than the people in WoW. When you pick up the treasure and start throwing it to your enemy's chest, there are no words on this earth to describe how fucking stupid you are.

Kittonwy

Banned
Snipes424 said:
I have decided to never do another plunder match without a premade team. I didn't think it was possible, but the people in this game are actually dumber than the people in WoW. When you pick up the treasure and start throwing it to your enemy's chest, there are no words on this earth to describe how fucking stupid you are.

A lot of online players out there are just out to get frags which would explain why MP games that appeal to simply getting frags, frags and more frags would be so successful, basically they don't even know what team-based objective is.

Irish

Snipes424 said:

Hey, almost everyone I've played with, including myself, have done it at least once after they miraculously survived a massive firefight.

I hate how the only trash talkers I ever come across trash talk our own team. Its demoralizing

Also I was just running through single player again and I came to the
cave with Tenzin where you find Schafers men
, anyone notice that there is no Mp 130 sub machine gun in multiplayer? Strange

Bebpo

Banned
Why does matchmaking coop keep putting me with afk people so I have to quit since we can't activate the checkpoint with the dude just standing at the starting point :(

Gyrian

JustHadToJoin said:
anyone notice that there is no Mp 130 sub machine gun in multiplayer? Strange

No Handcannon, either. This one I miss the most.

Bebpo said:
Why does matchmaking coop keep putting me with afk people so I have to quit since we can't activate the checkpoint with the dude just standing at the starting point :(

Objective co-op with randoms is very hit and miss, especially if you want to attempt the higher difficulties. Add a few of us here. Running through it with people you know will be dependable is a lot more fun. :)

Killthee

Just sent out a FR request to everyone in the last couple of pages who asked for an invite to the chat room. I'll send invites tomorrow once you guys respond to the FR.

If anybody else wants an invite just send me a FR along with "GAF, invite plz" in the message body. PSN ID is the same as my GAF user name.

Bebpo

Banned
Killthee said:
Just sent out a FR request to everyone in the last couple of pages who asked for an invite to the chat room. I'll send invites tomorrow once you guys respond to the FR.

If anybody else wants an invite just send me a FR along with "GAF, invite plz" in the message body. PSN ID is the same as my GAF user name.

What's a chatroom in this context?

Killthee

Bebpo said:
What's a chatroom in this context?
There's a U2 GAF MP PSN chat room we use to set up parties for multiplayer. Just pop right in and ask if there's room in a party for an invite.

Killthee

Kos Luftar said:
How do you get access to this chat room?
You need to be invited by a person in your friend's list who has access to it. Send me a FR (PSN ID is the same as my user name) and I'll send you an invite tomorrow.

Goddamn the lag has been terrible tonight. I just stop in place for minutes at a time. Ridiculous. Also I encountered a glitcher on Fort, PSN ID brendiez. He shot at me from the ceiling while I was going for a grenade.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I always play co-op, but today I decided to play the other modes. I picked Plunder since I thought that mode was fun in the beta. Anyway, I picked it and I was stuck with not only my shitty team, but the other team who were grouped together as a clan as well. I was the only person who managed to successfully bring the treasure back to our base, but my team mates would never help me out or even bother to put the treasure back to it's chest even when it was in front of them. Not only did my team mates suck, but the team we were against were like level 60 + and up. They didn't even bother getting the treasure. They were just busy going for kills. Seriously, what the fuck is up. Isn't the point of the game to return the treasure back to your base? People treat that mode like fucking deatmatch. Sigh.

deepbrown

crispyben said:
Damn, there was nobody for a Euro-time game last night! Now that the holidays are over, I wonder what will be possible...
Yes, where is everybody? Used to be about 15 people in the Uncharted 2 chat.

BTW Happy New Year, Merry Christmas etc. Deep is back :D

agaru

Welcome back, deep! After I hit level 57, I decided to take a break from the game. I might get back next week or when the new DLC is out.

Killthee said:
You need to be invited by a person in your friend's list who has access to it. Send me a FR (PSN ID is the same as my user name) and I'll send you an invite tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.
I am at work now but I'll send your the request tonight.

deepbrown

agaru said:
Welcome back, deep! After I hit level 57, I decided to take a break from the game. I might get back next week or when the new DLC is out.

Cheers :) Ah OK...I haven't played for a while tbh. Busy with work. But if I see a bunch of people in the U2 gaf thread I'm happy to jump in :)

deepbrown

Rewrite said:
I always play co-op, but today I decided to play the other modes. I picked Plunder since I thought that mode was fun in the beta. Anyway, I picked it and I was stuck with not only my shitty team, but the other team who were grouped together as a clan as well. I was the only person who managed to successfully bring the treasure back to our base, but my team mates would never help me out or even bother to put the treasure back to it's chest even when it was in front of them. Not only did my team mates suck, but the team we were against were like level 60 + and up. They didn't even bother getting the treasure. They were just busy going for kills. Seriously, what the fuck is up. Isn't the point of the game to return the treasure back to your base? People treat that mode like fucking deatmatch. Sigh.

Some people treat all the team modes like deathmatch...and often it's people on my team (sorry gaf :p) and I have to shout at them to help me. Sure enough when the match ends I have 5 kills and 20 deaths, to there 40 kills and 10 deaths - but hey we win.

I like it when we work in a team...and sometimes that team needs some brute force to keep the enemy back as 2 people do the treasure hunting :)

Zen

Banned
FFObsessed said:
The changes from patching were, "High Precision" controls to remove any deadzone, Spawn invincibility removed, Air bots made more powerful, then toned down a little to balance them.

That's pretty much it. The only thing there that is anywhere near game changing, is the removal of spawn invincibility, which made the game way way better, and back towards how it was in the Beta. The rest are tweaks and that's all. 5 minute download here and there? Big deal. The only hyperbole is from idiots whining about how the game was patched to hell, and radically changed to point it was "ruined". Spawn invincibility should never have been there which nearly caused me to stop playing after a few months, but at least they had the balls to do the right thing and remove it.

The game plays practically identical to how it was in the Beta, arguably better seeing as the Assault Class is less overpowered now than it was during the Beta. It was ridiculous. KZ2 now plays better than it ever has. Air Bots are now perfect, Spawn invincibility gone. They supported the game after launch, and despite a few missteps they nailed it in the end.

And Mr_Nothin, that quick aim for the sniper rifles could be used as an exploit. When using the default control setup, (which I always use) you simply had to aim anywhere near an enemy without the scope then press R3 and R1 together (with R1 a split second after) and you'd get an auto kill. I used to roam around the maps dropping everyone in front of me with that during the Beta. I reported it and it was rightly removed. Way overpowered. Now you have to aim your self, you should always have to aim yourself...

edit: I always liked you Zen

Liked? Did I say something wrong? :lol

mr_nothin said:
You must not have been in the beta.

? I played in it but never had an actively available account.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I guess I'll just drop in here and state that I played Uncharted 2 up to Chapter 3 and quickly realized that this game is equally not for me as the first one in the series was.

The opening train climb probably should have been all I needed to figure this out, but it was the second chapter's raid on the museum that really sealed it.

I just hate traversing the world.

The game has very cool ways of moving around, but I hate how "puzzley" the travel is instead of a fun game mechanic. There are too many times when I saw ways to get to where I needed to go, only to see Drake jump up like an idiot and grab onto nothing. Or kick off the wall because there's nothing for me to grab onto.

As much as people talked about how visually stunning this game was (and it is), there were still some frame-rate issues that really bothered me, primarily in the opening sequence.

The cover system is just awkward and wasn't always working, and the melee felt simplified, which isn't a good thing in my opinion.

...I've bought both games in the series and have been disappointed with both. I think I just need to realize that this game doesn't appeal to me and forget about it...but with all the positive praise it gets, I can't help but think I'm missing out on something, so I keep coming back.

RubxQub said:
I guess I'll just drop in here and state that I played Uncharted 2 up to Chapter 3 and quickly realized that this game is equally not for me as the first one in the series was.

The opening train climb probably should have been all I needed to figure this out, but it was the second chapter's raid on the museum that really sealed it.

I just hate traversing the world.

The game has very cool ways of moving around, but I hate how "puzzley" the travel is instead of a fun game mechanic. There are too many times when I saw ways to get to where I needed to go, only to see Drake jump up like an idiot and grab onto nothing. Or kick off the wall because there's nothing for me to grab onto.

As much as people talked about how visually stunning this game was (and it is), there were still some frame-rate issues that really bothered me, primarily in the opening sequence.

The cover system is just awkward and wasn't always working, and the melee felt simplified, which isn't a good thing in my opinion.

...I've bought both games in the series and have been disappointed with both. I think I just need to realize that this game doesn't appeal to me and forget about it...but with all the positive praise it gets, I can't help but think I'm missing out on something, so I keep coming back.

I didn't like the opening chapters at all and just when I was started to think that this is yet another overrated game - BAM! Game gets that incredible flow and incredible things start to happen that REAAALLLLLLYYYY make you change your opinion. Like the first one, this one drew me in after some time, but when it did it, it just blew me mind.

Now, I didn't have the same problem as you, my criticism was pointed somewhere else, but I urge you to give it a shot. Some later levels are some of the best level design I saw in my life. It's an experience like no other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom