• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Pristine_Condition said:
Yes!

Look up a lot, for those ones you can shoot down. That was a neat new wrinkle they added. And in a few cases, look down. Use the vantage points, because sometimes those vantage points are designed to help you see the treasure glinting in the distance. There are even some this time around that you can only get to while hanging, so sometimes you might want to see if those ledges go past the obvious spot you need to go to to get to the next area.

Really, it's a whole new level of challenge to find them all in Uncharted 2. But it's really satisfying.

Some of them are super hard to find though. Personally, I like the extra challenge. I knew it was going to be harder this time around right away, when I finally found the last two I was missing in the trainwreck level. The last one I was missing was in a pretty insane spot.

I'd recommend not ruining the pace of the game looking for them all your first time around. I'm going through my hard run right now, and picking up a lot of missing ones. I'm still missing a few still that I'll go and find later with the fire fights set to an easier level, but I'm going to get them all. I'm not using a guide, since I really like to do it on my own.
Yeah, I felt treasure hunting was much more satisfying in this game compared to the last (especially if you don't use a guide).

They really did utilize the full extent of the environments. Some of those hiding spots were downright devious, but worth the effort.

Solo

Finally got around to playing (and beating) UC2. Is there a glitch in the game or something, or does the game automatically kick you into a new game after you've beat it? I only ask because I beat the game, let the credits run, then got to the main menu and quit. I never started a new game, yet it says that my completion percentage is at 1% :lol

Irish

My favorite maps in order:

1. Plaza
2. Train Wreck
3. Sanctuary
4. Ice Cave
5. Village
6. Fort
7. Lost City
245. Temple

(Anyone who's played with me can understand why my Top 6 (excluding the Ice Cave) are my Top 6.)

Irish said:

1. Plaza
2. Train Wreck
3. Sanctuary
4. Ice Cave
5. Village
6. Fort
7. Lost City
245. Temple

(Anyone who's played with me can understand why my Top 6 (excluding the Ice Cave) are my Top 6.)

I'm just glad that you hate the temple as much as I do

Kittonwy

Banned
Irish said:

1. Plaza
2. Train Wreck
3. Sanctuary
4. Ice Cave
5. Village
6. Fort
7. Lost City
245. Temple

I don't get teh temple hate. >:|

Irish

It's a long range map without a Micro or M4. DtI and Fleet Foot absolutely dominate there. Plus, there's not a lot of ways to sneak up on somebody without running through open ground for fifty feet.

Oh well, you know me, I rage all the time while typing, but normally don't while playing.

Irish said:

1. Plaza
2. Train Wreck
3. Sanctuary
4. Ice Cave
5. Village
6. Fort
7. Lost City
245. Temple

Heh.

Plaza
Village
Sanctuary
Train Wreck
Lost City
Temple
Ice Cave
Fort

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Irish said:

1. Plaza
2. Train Wreck
3. Sanctuary
4. Ice Cave
5. Village
6. Fort
7. Lost City
245. Temple

Wow mine is completely different

1. The Village
2. Temple
3. Lost City
4. Sanctuary
5. Fort
6. Train Wreck
7. Plaza
8. Ice Cave

Plaza and Ice Cave are the two worst designed maps IMO, the most COD like. Plaza is ok, except the spawns constantly have people come up behind you. I'm spawned in the alley and people are camped behind me, I'm running for the treasure and the spawn right there. It completely locks up the map. Ice cave is the worst with the spawns being utterly random. For the most part spawns are based on where the treasure is, but for the life of me I can't figure out avoiding being trapped by a group of freshly spawned people. They randomly spawn behind you throughout the entire round.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I don't get teh temple hate. >:|
I dont either!
It provides the most dynamic gameplay. You can change the whole flow of the game just by flanking the other team. Temple is probably my favorite map. Temple and Fort have the same type of gameplay minus the Fort glitches.

Irish

msdstc said:
Plaza and Ice Cave are the two worst designed maps IMO, the most COD like. Plaza is ok, except the spawns constantly have people come up behind you. I'm spawned in the alley and people are camped behind me, I'm running for the treasure and the spawn right there. It completely locks up the map. Ice cave is the worst with the spawns being utterly random. For the most part spawns are based on where the treasure is, but for the life of me I can't figure out avoiding being trapped by a group of freshly spawned people. They randomly spawn behind you throughout the entire round.

I really do like the Village, but it's up nearly every other round.

Temple and Ice Cave are the worst in regards to spawns. Temple sucks more though, because the entire opposing team will spawn repeatedly in your chest room after you wipe them out. In Ice Cave, there is enough room and cover to run away with out dying after the entire team spawns close to you. Hell, if you've got the proper equipment, you can take that team out by yourself.

Yeef

Ice Cave is probably my favorite map in general, but different maps are better for different modes. I like Plaza and Sanctuary for Elimination. Lost City for Plunder and Train Wreck for Chain Reaction.

As for me, I like all of them^^
I really do want a new one though:(

mr_nothin said:
I dont either!
It provides the most dynamic gameplay. You can change the whole flow of the game just by flanking the other team. Temple is probably my favorite map. Temple and Fort have the same type of gameplay minus the Fort glitches.
And minus the fact that the Fort is a sniper's paradise. And i love that:D It's the only map where my most used primary weapon is the FAL, i think.

Irish

arne said:
Me neither, I like the Temple, even though it's easily the map I consistently get the worst performance out of.

That's mainly why I dislike it. :( (The lack of Micro and M4 is also a bad thing.)

Then again, it's also the place where I've had the most tense firefight ever. I spawned then saw a guy walk into the grenade room near the Hammer spawn, so I trundled in after him. Unfortunately, there were two more in there. I managed to grenade one of them, pistol another, and melee the last. Well, as I'm catching my breath and regaining my health, 4 more guys head towards my position. Luckily, the grenades in that room respawned before they reached me, so I took out two of them using up both of those grenades. Well, the other two try to flank my position behind the little counter. I blindfire away at one of them, killing him within a few seconds. The other guy reaches me and tries to melee, but fortunately misses. I do a Steel Fist and make my way out of the room only to see two more guys coming from the wet stairway. I shoot one of them down with my pistol but get killed by the other with a lucky FAL headshot while I'm in cover. I was robbed of that Fury. :(

Alright! Finally. Not only have I got a sweet bluetooth mic, which I love for even phone use, but perhaps now I can go back to playing online. I'm sure a few of you I actually play with may have noticed my absence. A little too much work being done for me.

But I should be on, if not tonight, tomorrow to start.

Since we're listing levels,

Village
Train Wreck,
Plaza

Are my favorite levels, I really don't like Temple (seems so limited). I like Lost City OK, but it seems like that's all I ever end up playing, so in a way I strongly dislike it.

I really, really hate the Fort unless it's objective based. For deathmatch, I think it's just a big pile of shit.

The worst thing about hating Fort is when it pops up as a choice for levels, everyone instantaneously votes for it, so I emit a mental scream of displeasure upon visual.

arne

Irish said:
That's mainly why I dislike it. :( (The lack of Micro and M4 is also a bad thing.)

Then again, it's also the place where I've had the most tense firefight ever. I spawned then saw a guy walk into the grenade room near the Hammer spawn, so I trundled in after him. Unfortunately, there were two more in there. I managed to grenade one of them, pistol another, and melee the last. Well, as I'm catching my breath and regaining my health, 4 more guys head towards my position. Luckily, the grenades in that room respawned before they reached me, so I took out two of them using up both of those grenades. Well, the other two try to flank my position behind the little counter. I blindfire away at one of them, killing him within a few seconds. The other guy reaches me and tries to melee, but fortunately misses. I do a Steel Fist and make my way out of the room only to see two more guys coming from the wet stairway. I shoot one of them down with my pistol but get killed by the other with a lucky FAL headshot while I'm in cover. I was robbed of that Fury. :(

I hope you saved this cinema file! sounds epic.

Solo said:
Finally got around to playing (and beating) UC2. Is there a glitch in the game or something, or does the game automatically kick you into a new game after you've beat it? I only ask because I beat the game, let the credits run, then got to the main menu and quit. I never started a new game, yet it says that my completion percentage is at 1% :lol
Yes, it sets up another game (I assume at the same difficulty) immediately. If you look, you'll see that you can "Continue" from the very first level. Noticed this last night when I finished the game.

So last night I finished the game for the first time. Uh...wow? I don't know that I can say much beyond that. I really liked Drake's Fortune, but the sequel is just leagues ahead of it in basically every facet, even the ones I thought were fine the first time around. It's longer, more varied in locale, more emotional, more frantic, much better looking (!), better paced, and more deeply steeped in atmosphere. It's just an incredible experience all around...and that's without touching the multiplayer!

Irish

Yeah, I saved it, but accidentally erased it and my only Rampant run when I was saving the work a couple of us did for Kilgore's machinima video with Doughnut Drake and Lazarevich. :( I'm bad.

Irish said:
Yeah, I saved it, but accidentally erased it and my only Rampant run when I was saving the work a couple of us did for Kilgore's machinima video with Doughnut Drake and Lazarevich. :( I'm bad.

If I understand you right, my response is that the save system setup for Uncharted 2 sucks.

Should have a master save rather than all of these little saves, asking me each time. I never quite know what to do, so I save new ones each time and hate it,.

jett

D-Member
Kureishima said:
If I understand you right, my response is that the save system setup for Uncharted 2 sucks.

Should have a master save rather than all of these little saves, asking me each time. I never quite know what to do, so I save new ones each time and hate it,.

Stop selecting "new game" and just choose the first chapter from the chapter menu.

arne

Kureishima said:

Two different "saves" -- one is a game save (what you're talking about) and the other is a cinema save (which only records a certain number of games you've played before it automatically overwrites them, unless you "Protect" them from overwriting/deletion).

Solo

Liabe Brave said:
Yes, it sets up another game (I assume at the same difficulty) immediately. If you look, you'll see that you can "Continue" from the very first level. Noticed this last night when I finished the game.

Alrighty, thanks for that! Just wanted to be sure, as it looked pretty odd :lol

Anyways, the game was pretty damn awesome. Im not gonna waste the time to heap praise on it, because there are almost 500 pages of that already here (although I must say that I LOVED the stealth system in the game). I do have a few minor gripes/annoyances though. I thought the game started off VERY slowly. In fact, up to about Chapter 5, I thought Drake's Fortune was a lot better. Also, am I the only one who noticed how many times they had Nathan or someone else almost fall only to be caught by someone else, with the camera framing basically identical to the shot in True Lies with Arnie holding Jamie Lee Curtis from a helicopter? This happens like 15 times in the game. It became something of a running joke for me.

Solo said:
Alrighty, thanks for that! Just wanted to be sure, as it looked pretty odd :lol

Anyways, the game was pretty damn awesome. Im not gonna waste the time to heap praise on it, because there are almost 500 pages of that already here (although I must say that I LOVED the stealth system in the game). I do have a few minor gripes/annoyances though. I thought the game started off VERY slowly. In fact, up to about Chapter 5, I thought Drake's Fortune was a lot better. Also, am I the only one who noticed how many times they had Nathan or someone else almost fall only to be caught by someone else, with the camera framing basically identical to the shot in True Lies with Arnie holding Jamie Lee Curtis from a helicopter? This happens like 15 times in the game. It became something of a running joke for me.

I think a lot of people noticed it, I've seen it mentioned in this thread many times. Yeah it got to the point where it was comical, and I was surprised at Naughty Dog for doing that. They should contact Guinness because they may have broken a record for most one-handed cliff saves in an entertainment product :p But ND is pretty sharp so I'm sure they won't do it again in UC3, or maybe they'll do it once and Drake will make a joke about it.

Solo

The-Warning said:
I think a lot of people noticed it, I've seen it mentioned in this thread many times. Yeah it got to the point where it was comical, and I was surprised at Naughty Dog for doing that. They should contact Guinness because they may have broken a record for most one-handed cliff saves in an entertainment product :p But ND is pretty sharp so I'm sure they won't do it again in UC3, or maybe they'll do it once and Drake will make a joke about it.

Fair enough! There was no way I was wading through 22,000 posts to see if others had mentioned it.

Saving-Helen-799148.png

:lol

What struck me as particularly amusing was that both of the female leads were strong enough to pull Drake up one-handed.

Irish

Kureishima said:

Multiplayer Match Save.

I had it Protected, but I wasn't paying attention one night and ended up unprotecting and deleting the wrong matches. I deleted my Rampant run and those Temple shenanigans instead of some random matches when I was trying to save some Machinima Stuff.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ran into a glitcher (lvl 50) on the plaza today. I made sure to send him a message on how awesome he is.

Irish

It would have been easier if you had turned on that mic you never use anymore and yelled at him. :p

New Mode Ideas:

Free-For-All

or

5 groups of 2 in all matchtypes. (2 vs. 2 vs. 2. vs. 2 vs. 2 Plunder has the potential to be super awesome.)

alr1ght

I made sure to dance over his body every time. I now of 3 unfixed glitches (Plaza, Fort, Ice Cave). :(

Please arne, give me my deathmatch variants playlist. If I wanted to play Turf War or KOTH, I would choose Objectives.

Irish

I think there's a glitch in Lost City as well.

Yeah, Deathmatch variants would be a nice playlist. (Standard, P&G, RPG, and S&P)

alr1ght

ah yes, that one too. I made sure to figure out how to do them so I can kill the fucks when they do them in-game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You know how you can save your own online multiplayer matches. What happens when you upload them? Where does it upload them to? I tried it on one video, but I have no idea where the video uploads to.

alr1ght

It just saves them on ND's server. You can send them to your friends. They won't get deleted should you accidentally delete your save file.

Irish

alr1ghtstart said:
ah yes, that one too. I made sure to figure out how to do them so I can kill the fucks when they do them in-game.

You're going to have to teach the whole group. Viperman and I used to go and wreck the glitchers in the previous spots when they thought they'd get a leg up on us.

Uncharted 3 - Take me to Egypt!

Uncharted 2 was all about that snow tech, now put it to good use with some glorious sand and egyptian temples/ruins :D

:enemyglider: said:

Uncharted 2 was all about that snow tech, now put it to good use with some glorious sand and egyptian temples/ruins :D

Pharoah's Chamber, throw in the AntiKythera and Dropa Stones. I'm all for it, the desert needs to be explored...Dubai, Cairo, Great Pyramid, climbing the Sphinx...ok, I'll stop now.

And 2v2v2v2v2 sound frustrating, games end at 1-0-0-0-0.

Free for All, however, yes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Something like Egypt seems logical. I'm not all that tech savvy but I'd assume they could do similar things with sand that they did with snow.

Irish

Imagine the GAF games though. They would be absolutely insane. (Well, as long as CHRP and Ryan aren't on the same team. That would be unfair.)

Irish

Yes, you reminded me of something else I think should be in the game. More customization in Custom games. Like weapon selection and all that junk.

I know this isn't related to Uncharted per se, but when someone mentioned Dubai earlier, it made me think of something.

When I was reading the news the other day about the Burj Tower in Dubai, the world's currently largest tower, I thought about how awesome it would be to have a cinema about its destruction. Reason being that according to the article, every X amount of floors (5?) there are levels which are particularly (extra?) firesafe/proof and contain access to their own oxygen supply. I suddenly had amazing visions of what was essentially a vertical Titanic disaster, as there was mention of assurances that the building was structurally sound (indicating some of the aforementioned reasons as well as reasons of construction), which sounded hauntingly familiar.

Maybe it's not as cool as it seems in my head, but it seemed like a really epic concept, especially with descriptive terms such as "Vertical City" in reference to the Burj Tower. I suppose the same could be said about a game, rather than just Cinema, but whathave you.

Of course, considering the beauty of such a tower (I like the design) I would never wish its actual physical destruction.

As a side note, the tower has the world's most elevated (in vertical stories) swimming pool in the world. That's just neat.

Irish said:
Imagine the GAF games though. They would be absolutely insane. (Well, as long as CHRP and Ryan aren't on the same team. That would be unfair.)

True enough. Although I'd buy Explosives Expert just for that.

Also, can someone invite me to the chat room? princeakuma23.

If my 60 gb feels like functioning, I'll play later.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
:enemyglider: said:

Hasn't Tomb Raider done that a couple of times?

I personally just want to see varied environments, just like in Uncharted 2. I didn't feel it was all that focused on Snow. Maybe 45% was snow which I guess you can say is a large portion... Wherever they go I just hope they keep up the imagination and quality of the last section. That section was so incredibly stunning. It was something I would have expected out of a current-gen Final Fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom