• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreavus

ili0926 said:
Just beat Lazarevic on hard.

I played through Uncharted and Uncharted 2 this past week - took advantage of a nice boxing day deal to snag Uncharted to for 45 CAD.

All I can say is...wow. What a terrific series. The very first time I tried Uncharted a couple years back, I really wasn't feeling it. Love the script, and aside from the last couple chapters of Drake's Fortune, this game was pretty much all I could ever ask for.

I found Lazarevic pretty tough and it was immensely rewarding to finally beat him after like the 25th try...the first time I've found anything this difficult in a game in a long time. I know some found him easy but...if I ever have to go through that again...fuck. (I probably will when I replay both on crushing during reading week or something).

All in all, a terrific week of gaming and I can't wait to play some coop!

I'm in a similar boat as you; tried the demo of UC1 a while back and couldn't see myself playing it. However, today I just finished Uncharted 1, which I borrowed from a friend in preparation for playing UC2 (which is still in the shrink wrap so far from the Amazon.ca deal) and I had a lot of fun with it. The graphics are pretty amazing and I love the climbing/exploring sections especially. The deluge of pirates was definitely annoying in places, and I think a lot of enemy encounters in general kind of killed my sense of accomplishment when I'd solve a puzzle a lot of the time.

It seemed like it was "Hmmm, Francis Drake's Journal says I need to do this... *solve puzzle* ...sweet, we figured it out! Let's see what's inside this secret passa--" and then I spot man-made lights set up in the distance, signaling that the bad guys are already inside there anyways, and then a bunch of them start shooting me a few moments later. So much for the clever clues in the damn journal.

This gets a lot of flak, but I had trouble with the last encounter as well. Lots of restarts there, but it certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Once you get his shot rotation down it's doable.

What can I expect from UC2? I'm hoping there is just as much/more exploring as UC1, since I really enjoyed those parts of the game. Gunplay was fun too but if the battle dragged on with too many reinforcements it just got tedious.

Kittonwy

Banned
Damn those GAF-only games felt like I was -20 even though my worst game was -8 and I basically stayed positive the rest of the time.
Indifferent2.gif

Defuser

You know,Fort is getting very annoying with it's amount of glitching. There's one douchebag who threw the treasure at one corner in the bottom map which nobody can pick it up.

crispyben

OK, I added or tried to add some more of you guys (my PSN is Grandben): CircleOfFire, TeknomanEX, sheeboy64, bebpojp, xDefuser, depward, Jaroof4500, Qlaahrqueh, Yeef, JambiBum, himuroids, NeoUltima, grimmbomb21, joeinnit, duckroll, princeakuma23

Looking forward to more GAF games! :D

SickBoy

I just wanted to post that I'm three quarters through the game now.

I see why people liked the first game, but in my eyes it was hugely overrated (great presentation, but gameplay that fell short)... so IMO it really says something about how much they've improved the game, since it's pretty well living up to the hype.

Dreavus said:
I'm in a similar boat as you; tried the demo of UC1 a while back and couldn't see myself playing it. However, today I just finished Uncharted 1, which I borrowed from a friend in preparation for playing UC2 (which is still in the shrink wrap so far from the Amazon.ca deal) and I had a lot of fun with it. The graphics are pretty amazing and I love the climbing/exploring sections especially. The deluge of pirates was definitely annoying in places, and I think a lot of enemy encounters in general kind of killed my sense of accomplishment when I'd solve a puzzle a lot of the time.

It seemed like it was "Hmmm, Francis Drake's Journal says I need to do this... *solve puzzle* ...sweet, we figured it out! Let's see what's inside this secret passa--" and then I spot man-made lights set up in the distance, signaling that the bad guys are already inside there anyways, and then a bunch of them start shooting me a few moments later. So much for the clever clues in the damn journal.

This gets a lot of flak, but I had trouble with the last encounter as well. Lots of restarts there, but it certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Once you get his shot rotation down it's doable.

What can I expect from UC2? I'm hoping there is just as much/more exploring as UC1, since I really enjoyed those parts of the game. Gunplay was fun too but if the battle dragged on with too many reinforcements it just got tedious.

UC2 definitely ups the exploring and refines the gunplay. If you enjoyed UC1 despite it's flaws then 1: welcome to the club
:D and 2: you are going to absolutely love UC2.... no question.

Wowbagger

Irish said:
Also, don't listen to W0Wbaggr's whining. He doesn't know which perk to complain about. He has some weird unbridled rage against Treasure Bearer when he should instead focus his hate against DtI. :p

I don't think I've ever been in a GAF party that lost a deathmatch simply cause the other team was using DTI while we weren't, but I bet at least half my Plunder losses with GAF were simply due to our opponents using TB while we weren't.

We'll slowly but surely get the treasure close to our chest only to fuck up at the last moment. Then an enemy with TB will pick it up and lightingly fast bring it to his team's chest while we spawn on the wrong side with no chance to catch up. If the enemy hadn't used TB, we would very likely had chances to catch up, as every time the treasure is picked up and tossed something may go wrong. Multiple people trying to pick it up, items on the ground near it, lag or simply wasting seconds locating it. Then an object blocks the toss, or the toss distance or direction is not optimal (or its tossed the wrong way, lol -- it happens).

Maybe, in theory, you can get the treasure to your chest as fast by chain-tossing it but, in practice, using TB is faster and safer.

Yeef said:
Only on certain maps. A lot of the maps require you to toss the idol up onto a ledge or through a hole to get the quickest capture routes.

You're much more likely to be safe to make that toss if you've been running away from your enemies using TB.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quick question: I tried playing multiplayer for the first time this afternoon (UK time) for the trophy, and it spent about 10 minutes on the 'lookign for games' screen and never found anything. I was doing matchmaking and tried simple deathmatch and 'all competitive games'. Should it take that long or was something messed up?

I had a UK game logged in as a US PSN account if that makes any difference.

In the end I just started my own game of king of the hill and won to get the trophy :p

JambiBum

mrklaw said:
Quick question: I tried playing multiplayer for the first time this afternoon (UK time) for the trophy, and it spent about 10 minutes on the 'lookign for games' screen and never found anything. I was doing matchmaking and tried simple deathmatch and 'all competitive games'. Should it take that long or was something messed up?

I had a UK game logged in as a US PSN account if that makes any difference.

In the end I just started my own game of king of the hill and won to get the trophy :p

PSN was acting funny for all of us earlier. Or at least the servers for UC2 were. So I doubt it was just your connection.

Good games everyone. Wish my connection wasn't so bad.

Sorry about tossing everything the treasure the wrong way that one game. :lol
I did get a triple kill and 2 double kills off it though. :lol

We'll try and organize another game later tonight. Maybe around 6:00 pm Pacific.

JambiBum

KilgoreTrout said:
Good games everyone. Wish my connection wasn't so bad.

Sorry about tossing everything the treasure the wrong way that one game. :lol
I did get a triple kill and 2 double kills off it though. :lol

We'll try and organize another game later tonight. Maybe around 6:00 pm Pacific.

I should be off of work by then as long as everything goes ok. Chuck is on at 9 pm est though so I might not play until after. If you see me on just shoot me an invite. Had a lot of fun even though I suck right now seeing how those were my first few games of MP lol.

JambiBum said:
I should be off of work by then as long as everything goes ok. Chuck is on at 9 pm est though so I might not play until after. If you see me on just shoot me an invite. Had a lot of fun even though I suck right now seeing how those were my first few games of MP lol.

Ha. Your playing with the right group to improve though. Just pay close attention to what we do, and you'll be set in no time.

JambiBum

KilgoreTrout said:
Ha. Your playing with the right group to improve though. Just pay close attention to what we do, and you'll be set in no time.
You mean like throwing grenades at team mates and tossing the treasure the wrong way? :)

Gyrian

Some great matches earlier, it's too bad that it came with so many connection headaches.
I've been getting PSN error after PSN error this weekend. ;_;

Irish

I rarely play during the day and Chuck is on until 10 tonight. :(

JustHadToJoin said:
how is it possible that everyone who posts here is actually really good at this game

Oh, you must not have played with me.

JustHadToJoin said:
how is it possible that everyone who posts here is actually really good at this game

We are GAF, hear us roar! CrushDance would like to think that it is because of his training! Honestly, those GAF games make us better! Dealing with randoms after playing Gaffers is easy as cake!

Quincey

Banned
i am really amazed at how much easier crushing in among thieves is than drakes fortune. i wish among thieves was as hard at drakes fortune

Drac

Finally got this game and it deserve all the praise it has received. Kinda strange I didn't really like the demo of the first Uncharted, maybe I'll try to grab him sone day to see the full game.
The story kind of feel short at the end maybe like every archaeologist story (except for the last crusade #love#) but it was an enjoyable experience in hard. Doing a second run in crushing with doughnut Drake, so fun and disturbing doing all the platform segment :lol I should give a shot at the mp later.

Drac said:
Finally got this game and it deserve all the praise it has received. Kinda strange I didn't really like the demo of the first Uncharted, maybe I'll try to grab him sone day to see the full game.

I wouldn't bother, it was merely good in its day, and will probably feel like raw tripe after playing Uncharted 2.

Shearie

Can anyone add me to the chatroom? Will be selling MW2 to put towards MAG and since the MAG Beta just ended, this is my only MP game I'll be playing for awhile.

Xun

Fucking hell I love this game to bits, definitely my favourite game in a long time.

My only complaint (if you really want to call it that) with the game are the cutscenes, which use in-game assets but are videos (hence the compression). I can only guess it was done for loading reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom