• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
God so close too getting five not alive medal yesterday, so close. Still wanna play a GAF game but never know when they start. I want some real competion. Never felt like I couldn't beat "That" guy, you know what i mean.

crispyben

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
God so close too getting five not alive medal yesterday, so close. Still wanna play a GAF game but never know when they start. I want some real competion. Never felt like I couldn't beat "That" guy, you know what i mean.
You need to get invited to the UC2 GAF chatroom, it helps a lot. Add me if nobody else does.

Beat the game today. Was really really good. There were some parts I couldn't stand though (Tibet village w/ tank, the monastery). Everything else left me pretty pleased.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
striKeVillain! said:
Beat the game today. Was really really good. There were some parts I couldn't stand though (Tibet village w/ tank, the monastery). Everything else left me pretty pleased.
Really? Those were two of my favorite parts :lol

garrickk

Beat the game on Crushing- it was almost easier than on Hard, but probably because I was expecting everything and keep moving. Yet to play online except for 1 Co-op game. I think I'll give it a try tonight...

Still need to play on easy to acquire some more treasure, 75 kills in a row, steel fist crap, etc. for Platinum. The game is so good, I might be motivated to do so.

Not to parrot the commercial in any way, but Uncharted 2 is the first game I've ever played with a girl friend sitting next to me, interested in the outcome of the story, and trying to spot guys/climbing points/ammo/etc. for me. She didn't like the ending though.

Drac

Anyone have a good spot for getting the dyno-might for killing 5 dudes at once?

Start of chapter 6 after killing the first wave of dudes, a truck comes full of soon to be victims of a rocket luncher (ether the one of the guy you have to kill in the beginning or a cheated one). If you miss, just die, the check point is just in front of it.

Yeef

Drac said:
Start of chapter 6 after killing the first wave of dudes, a truck comes full of soon to be victims of a rocket luncher (ether the one of the guy you have to kill in the beginning or a cheated one). If you miss, just die, the check point is just in front of it.
Don't remember which chapter (I think like 12 or something) but it's called "A Train to Catch." Normally you don't have a gun on this part and you have to stealth kill the guys, but you can use the cheats to give yourself a rocket launch. They start out all grouped together and unaware of your presence, so it's super easy.

Bebpo

Banned
Hey, how do "teams" even play each other in this game?

In matchmaking there's no way to play against a specific team is there?
In custom game if you get 10 people into a room won't the game will auto-pick the teams right?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Bebpo said:
Hey, how do "teams" even play each other in this game?

In matchmaking there's no way to play against a specific team is there?
In custom game if you get 10 people into a room won't the game will auto-pick the teams right?
No way to play a specific team in MM.

In custom game you can select the team you want to be in (near the bottom iirc).

Solo said:
Thank god I never tried it then :lol Im already dreading 5-6 scenarios later in the game that gave me enough problems on hard.

I dunno about that. I recently replayed Drake's Fortune, then immediately played Among Thieves through for the first time, and while there are many minor changes that make the overall package better, I didnt feel there was any real massive leap between the two games. Sure, if you add up all the small things UC2 does well, then it adds up to a large sum, but there isnt one major item that categorically outclasses UC1.
What amazes me about UC2 is that it doesn't do much that's substantially different than the first game yet it does everything so, soo much better. The first game is a fun adventure game I would recommend. The second is a thrill ride that would tell people not to miss. The first game is fun. The second is simply a joy to play. Yet the basic formula is the same. No new mechanics, no dual wielding, no magic spells (I'm talking just about the single player game here). While a lot of the core crowd likes to decry the iterative process and the too-similar sequels it cranks out, this is that process at its finest.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kadey said:
Guys, what's a good place for that steelfist 10 in a row? And how?

I did it on chapter 4. After you do the grenade tutorial, you get a lot of people to do it on. Just have it set to Very Easy and shoot your pistol(without aiming) then punch, it's enough to kill them. If you aim the gun it'll also kill them, so you need to be careful about that.

Killthee

Papercuts said:
I did it on chapter 4. After you do the grenade tutorial, you get a lot of people to do it on. Just have it set to Very Easy and shoot your pistol(without aiming) then punch, it's enough to kill them. If you aim the gun it'll also kill them, so you need to be careful about that.
The Borneo section? I had trouble doing it on that chapter; Sully kept killing them, f'ing up my combo. I did on Ch. 6.

Kittonwy

Banned
Finally got to play with duckroll himuro and bebpo (teh trifecta). And gg to teh rest of yall.
Indifferent2.gif

Jaroof

Fun fact:
Singing the Indiana Jones theme song when you're chasing someone or about to kill them in an online match makes it a hell of a lot more fun.

Killthee

Jaroof said:
Fun fact:
Singing the Indiana Jones theme song when you're chasing someone or about to kill them in an online match makes it a hell of a lot more fun.
ND better add Custom Soundtracks to UC3 MP or I'm going to be one sad panda.....

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Killthee said:
The Borneo section? I had trouble doing it on that chapter; Sully kept killing them, f'ing up my combo. I did on Ch. 6.

Yeah, I always stuck by their spawning section so he could never get lined up with them. 6 would probably work just as well though.

Gyrian

duckroll said:
GG earlier. Kitty is pretty crazy. Watching him take out 2 people alone in those elimination matches was pretty awesome. :lol

The best part is how it looked like it was going nowhere for a long time, until Kitton grenaded Himuro from across the Plaza, then proceeded to kill the last guy with one second to go on the clock. =P

GGs, I really enjoyed the awesome Plunder match we had in Lost City, too.

I think I'm going to extend my vow to No-Booster week; it didn't hurt bad, even before the all-GAF matches where we were all doing it.

Kittonwy said:
Finally got to play with duckroll himuro and bebpo (teh trifecta). And gg to teh rest of yall.
Indifferent2.gif

It was good to see you three in there. I like how the GAF group playing this continues to grow. =)

Halcyon

so my longtime good friend started playing this to my excitement because that means I got to discuss how great u2 is.

His opinion on the game is "I don't like the setting, there's too much jumping, the platforming is lame, and the quality is not the greatest". I understand this is an opinion but I think I can't be friends with this guy anymore.

Irish

Damn, we tried to get Himuro to join us after Gyrian left the other night, but it was no good. Went back to playing SP.

If you think, Kitton's the end all, be all, you must not have played with the rest of the guys. :p (Kitton and I usually finish the same, but a lot of his kills are from afar, mine are from up close brawling w/ only a tad bit of long range stuff.)

I should be on tomorrow night. I've been working this entire week (usually only do Mon. and Tues.) and have been too tired to play. Plus, I rented Bayonetta and need to finish that before Sunday. :( I miss U2.

Levi

Banned
That last game before the Gaf group disbanded last night was very disheartening for me. Not that we got steam-rolled (I'm used to that) but how poorly I performed when we had a chance to score. Knowing that the other team was respawning and rushing to murder my face made it hard for me to get it -- the treasure -- up. Serious performance anxiety! I was trying to hurry and with two opportunities couldn't throw it up the second level where the box was. :( It was the closest my side had to score and I totally whiffed it.

That match I also learned to hate Kitton's pistol. He kept sniping me from across the map with the pistol, and with no boosters either!

Upside was I'm doing better in these GAF-only elimination matches. Went from getting no kills over 7 rounds to getting 5 or 6. An infinite improvement!

Darkatomz

Sorry I missed your invite last night Kitton, I'll probably be one later tonight for a few games. Need to improve myself on those non-DM games lol

master15

The GAF games really prepare you for playing in random matches. I find it often frustrating when you get continuously mowed down or at the bottom of the table with kills, but that rare game you can be near the top, perform a multi kill or help win a plunder game really make up for that.

Watching guys like Gyrian, Scored (Especially last night), Kitty and Chirp is pretty informative. I’ve noticed a lot of you guys sort of ‘zig zag’ for lack of better words around the map, often approaching areas at odd angles. Not to mention most of those guys are pretty deadly shots :)

Do any of you guys play co-op modes much? I have to say I love them but finding a suitable partner for crushing run in match-making is very hit or miss.

Gyrian

VsRobot said:
That match I also learned to hate Kitton's pistol. He kept sniping me from across the map with the pistol, and with no boosters either!

This works surprisingly well, I can't recommend it enough.

I'm no good with the AK, DTI aside, so I've learned to make the most of it.
Very versatile, but beware at medium range. Most long guns can drop you before you can pull of enough shots. At close range, a couple of running blindfire shots + a finishing punch can take care of most opponents.
It's also a way out from the common 'I punch you, you punch me, we both die'.

EDIT:

master15 said:
Do any of you guys play co-op modes much? I have to say I love them but finding a suitable partner for crushing run in match-making is very hit or miss.

We do, always a good option when we've got the team size for it.
It's just been harder lately because there's so many of us. :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Does your progress towards some of the Trophies (i.e. "kill x number of enemies with weapon y") carry over on subsequent playthroughs? I'm still on my first playthrough, chapter 17 on normal, just curious tho. Having a lot of fun with it, it's really an excellent and polished game, only thing its missing is an automatic camera re-center button.

Kittonwy

Banned
VsRobot said:
That last game before the Gaf group disbanded last night was very disheartening for me. Not that we got steam-rolled (I'm used to that) but how poorly I performed when we had a chance to score. Knowing that the other team was respawning and rushing to murder my face made it hard for me to get it -- the treasure -- up. Serious performance anxiety! I was trying to hurry and with two opportunities couldn't throw it up the second level where the box was. :( It was the closest my side had to score and I totally whiffed it.

Upside was I'm doing better in these GAF-only elimination matches. Went from getting no kills over 7 rounds to getting 5 or 6. An infinite improvement!

Yeah the last game got a tad lopsided roflz. I was trying to use the pistol more, I still like the AK better though.
Indifferent2.gif

Gyrian

djtiesto said:
Only thing its missing is an automatic camera re-center button.

Something you can do here is draw your gun with L1.

Camera will center behind your character; if you let go, you will continue facing where your aiming reticle was pointing. Also useful if you're running in one direction while looking the opposite way, and spot a target there.

Levi

Banned
djtiesto said:
Does your progress towards some of the Trophies (i.e. "kill x number of enemies with weapon y") carry over on subsequent playthroughs? I'm still on my first playthrough, chapter 17 on normal, just curious tho. Having a lot of fun with it, it's really an excellent and polished game, only thing its missing is an automatic camera re-center button.

You don't have to hit those goals on your first play-through. Some of them you'll need to beat the game first so you unlock the ability to give yourself certain weapons -- there are a few that are hard to come by through normal play.

Irish

master15 said:

Usually when there's a full party and three guys left over. Here's some advice though: Don't play Survival in The Lost City with Gyrian and VsRobot. They will die and leave you hanging. :p Oh well, at least they were helpful after they died. :p

(Seriously, I actually had a lot of fun in that match with you guys.)

I really need to get home so I can play with all of the new U2 GAF members. I'm missing out on all kinds of fun. (I know my skills are going to be so rusty when I get back.)

I'm a little odd though. Most of the time, I do pretty poorly (when in a full party that isn't facing off against other Gaffers), but every now and again, I just have a freakishly amazing match.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure that hitting R3 re-centers your camera.

Levi

Banned
Irish said:
Here's some advice though: Don't play Survival in The Lost City with Gyrian and VsRobot. They will die and leave you hanging. :p Oh well, at least they were helpful after they died. :p

Most of the time I died it was because I was trying to revive a certain Rambo who kept breaking off from the group.

Stupid chokers.

Levi

Banned
Irish said:
I see, so we get to blame it all on Gyrian?
:p

Hey, all ten waves were defeated, and the group never wiped once. I say it was a successful run, even if I was a spectator for much of round 10. :p

Rikyfree

Gonna have to hop on tonight and earn some big monies with Kitton! Haven't played with you in a nice long time man! I get stuck with scrubs like these guys named Gyrian or Scored or Brokenoath. Even those really horrible players CHRP and CJtiger. Ugh.
:D :lol

I thought you guys were joking about CHRP, but he destroyed me so badly in elimination I was almost in raging tears. Ok not almost, I was. Guy is like the California bank robbers with Ted Bundeys killing power

Irish

Rikyfree said:
Gonna have to hop on tonight and earn some big monies with Kitton! Haven't played with you in a nice long time man! I get stuck with scrubs like these guys named Gyrian or Scored or Brokenoath. Even those really horrible players CHRP and CJtiger. Ugh.

Those guys don't sound as bad as this one dude (or should I say "dud") I play with that has this weird, hooked-on-phonics/Arabic name that starts with a Q. Qlaahrqueh or something.

Gyrian

VsRobot said:
Most of the time I died it was because I was trying to revive a certain Rambo who kept breaking off from the group.

Stupid chokers.

One of the nice things about having a mic in co-op is that you can warn people to not rescue you when there's a trap around your downed self.
You can always take your chances, though. :p

Irish said:
I see, so we get to blame it all on Gyrian?
:p

I'll pass it along to the Chokers running amok in there, haha.
I couldn't believe it, as I was announcing 'there's 2, wait, 3, wtf, 4 running towards you single file. no, wait, that last one has a shotgun. that's not all that better.'

Rikyfree said:

So, you crave the monies, but that above is essentially an invitation to hold another Elimination round, get some things straightened out. >:p

Jaroof said:
Fun fact:

That does sound fun, I'll have to try that, especially when I finally get a headset.

On a related note, when I beat the game, just before it went to the credits, the IJ theme was running in my mind.

crispyben

I'm never really "on", but tonight I was completely "off", turning in an abysmal performance... Sorry Crush, sorry Negaiido, sorry all GAFers who I further confused by speaking French with my wife, I'll try to do better next time! But that 5 vs BleachEX game was something to behold :lol

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Anyone else suffer with this?

Downloaded the patch - played deathmatch for the first time and whenever I try and go melee on someone the screen shakes and I don't do the punch, punch, kick animation or anything to that effect... just a shakey screen.

:-/

Juno said:
Anyone else suffer with this?

Downloaded the patch - played deathmatch for the first time and whenever I try and go melee on someone the screen shakes and I don't do the punch, punch, kick animation or anything to that effect... just a shakey screen.

:-/

melee in d/m is just a hit with your weapon (and in general it takes two hits to kill) unless you pull of a stealth kill. So there is no melee combo like in sp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom