• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Tried the beta.

-Levels are super small
-Controls are pretty good (though throwing grenade while aiming is a bit clumsy)
-Teh colours!
-I like the amount of damage a player needs to take to die
-MGO vibes

Not my cup of tea in the end though. The deathmatch feels more like Quake than MGO in the end and the treasure mode seems a bit silly when you don't get any points for holding the treasure.

Bearillusion said:
UC2 MP is the best I've ever played.

I just played a 1 vs 1 snipers match in The Village against a friend and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The only complaint we have is that we couldn't talk to each other as it only appears to support team chat. Can it be turned on somehow? When playing custom deathmatch games I want to be able to talk to my friends.

Don't mean to be a pain but the above was posted at the bottom of the previous page and will probably go unnoticed.

Yeef

zoukka said:
-Controls are pretty good (though throwing grenade while aiming is a bit clumsy)
You don't need to hold L1 to aim your grenade. If you're talking about the camera, turn on the sixaxis grenade control. You just tilt the controller forward or backward to control the arc of the grenades jus tlike in the first game.

methane47

Dl'd the beta tonite.. and tried to play online...

but.. ya maybe my ping is soo bad that it wont match me with anyone :(
I managed to get into a co-op game though... and there seemed to be no lag wat so ever...
and it was pretty fun... but it was obvious we had no idea what we were doing.

GeeDuhb

Bearillusion said:
UC2 MP is the best I've ever played.

I just played a 1 vs 1 snipers match in The Village against a friend and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The only complaint we have is that we couldn't talk to each other as it only appears to support team chat. Can it be turned on somehow? When playing custom deathmatch games I want to be able to talk to my friends.

I don't think there is a way to turn it on, but you do get to talk to each other while someone is dead, waiting to respawn. The ability probably wont be there until Sony implements the rumored "cross game chat."

Also, I have a question. Maybe it has been answered before and/or asked hundreds of times...if so, sorry in advance and please point me in the direction where I can get info...but how do you guys make those awesome GIFs of your gameplay?! They are really neat, and a cool way to post a little clip without uploading to youtube! Any info would be appreciated!

Awesome games tonight guys!!!! I am starting to get pretty damn good at this MP. Not CHRP or Ryanardo level yet, but just behind them in most matches!!

LaneDS

Just played an elimination against a party of five. Three of our team dropped, so it was 5v2. Managed to kill all five of their team members by myself one round, felt awesome, had to share.

To the guy that mentioned the X button being used to scope in, I didn't realize that till your post. Not sure I can get used to using it in place of R3, but still good to know. Thanks.

NeoUltima

LaneDS said:
Just played an elimination against a party of five. Three of our team dropped, so it was 5v2. Managed to kill all five of their team members by myself one round, felt awesome, had to share.
I did this once...Well it was actually me vs 4. But there was a ND on their team(they were all high levels). I actually have the replay saved, should post some shots. Me and the ND had a fistfight at the end(both of us died, but him first). I should post some shots of it.

TheFatOne

cjtiger300 said:
Awesome games tonight guys!!!! I am starting to get pretty damn good at this MP. Not CHRP or Ryanardo level yet, but just behind them in most matches!!

:lol :lol :lol Maybe one day you ryanardo, and CHRP can reach Lyulf level.

Edit: On second thought no you guys can't :p

LaneDS

NeoUltima said:
I did this once...Well it was actually me vs 4. But there was a ND on their team(they were all high levels). I actually have the replay saved, should post some shots. Me and the ND had a fistfight at the end(both of us died, but him first). I should post some shots of it.

Makes me sad to think these replays will be lost in a few days. But the memories will live on! Or yeah, screenshots.

Might record it with a camera, but after watching it, it looked kind of boring with all the hiding going on.

Rad Agast

I've been avoiding most trailers after E3 because of potential spoilers and my PS3 is back home but I'll be picking this one up on release day. The first was one of the best exclusives on the system and Among Thieves should surpass it in every way I think.

LaneDS

dralla said:
speaking of pistols, so many people overlook the DE. It's a borderline power weapon, 2 shots to kill..good accuracy and distance, manageable recoil. It's not great off the hip since it has such limited ammo.

I agree, but oddly enough I've sometimes hit folks three times without them dying... not really sure what's up with that. I'll try to watch a replay next time it happens, but I think I'm hitting arms/legs or something non-vital.

Freezing

LaneDS said:
I agree, but oddly enough I've sometimes hit folks three times without them dying... not really sure what's up with that. I'll try to watch a replay next time it happens, but I think I'm hitting arms/legs or something non-vital.
The Deagle and the Sniper are team savers on Co-op Arena.

LaneDS

Freezing said:
The Deagle and the Sniper are team savers on Co-op Arena.

Absolutely. The three shot thing I was referring to was against other players, just for clarification. The sniper rifle, when aimed but not zoomed, is great for putting down 3-4 enemies as quickly as possible.

Rikyfree

dralla said:
21kwh7k.jpg
My name is Rikyfree and I approve this ass.

Jangaroo said:
On the contrary, I think Naughty Dog did a great job in not overtly-sexing up the female characters in the game. They have believable proportions and don't have DD sized breasts like the characters in DOA or Ninja Gaiden. Chloe has a mighty fine posterior though.
I was being sarcastic, but okay.

deepbrown

There are 100 treasures in the full game :O

Shame there's only two trophies for multiplayer though. I guess all the rewards are in-game, and the Dog's will be given extra space for trophies when they put out the first MP DLC pack.

Lince

Banned
deepbrown said:
Shame there's only two trophies for multiplayer though.

fantastic news, I was afraid of KZ2-like trophies. I won't be doing that again (playing like mad for a whole week to get the damn trophies), never ever again.

Xav

I played some matches on the Beta and it's not bad but I don't think it's the type of thing that will hold my interest for long. It's better than I expected though and performance wise this is how I want Gears of War to one day run like, without all the bugs and crappy netcode.

Ydahs

Finally got a game in co-op and my crappy router crashed :(

It's been doing this a lot lately and probably means I need to buy a new one...

Lince said:
fantastic news, I was afraid of KZ2-like trophies. I won't be doing that again (playing like mad for a whole week to get the damn trophies), never ever again.

There is gray area between too many online trophies and too few. Killzone 2 has too many UC2 has too few.... and the few that there are require you to ONLY play a single MP match and Co-op match.

Im just thinking "come on...". I wouldve been cool with 100 kills or something.

Yoboman

You know with the quality of the MP, it's a real shame a lot of the reviews have shrugged it off. It really is amazing, and if it was just tacked on like expected sure, but I think the reviews need to really address this aspect of the game properly because it adds a whole extra layer to the game and is worth more than just saying "and it has multiplayer too!" at the end of the review

Lince

Banned
Rez said:
online trophies are the devil incarnate

this, I understand Warhawk and MAG having wicked trophies but those of Killzone were just annoying and led to a lot of randoms ruining the game playing for the trophies instead of just relaxing and focus on team work, no trophy pressure will make U2 MP a better and happier place.

Foffy

Banned
Yoboman said:
You know with the quality of the MP, it's a real shame a lot of the reviews have shrugged it off. It really is amazing, and if it was just tacked on like expected sure, but I think the reviews need to really address this aspect of the game properly because it adds a whole extra layer to the game and is worth more than just saying "and it has multiplayer too!" at the end of the review

I think the reason most sites tend to not talk about multiplayer right away is that when a game launches, the community and reliability of the online component is put to the test.

Though, why they mostly ignore the co-op component is a bit odd, though. That seems more refined and something easier to grasp when it comes to reviewing a game prior to release, methinks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yoboman said:
I can sympathise with reviewers out there who didn't really touch on it, though. For people who are like myself, who just can't get into a multiplayer shooter to save their lives, forcing themselves to try and play the multiplayer mode for extended periods of time isn't really going to add much to the review.

And, given they probably won't be able to play the multiplayer over the long term, it would be very hard to really give a definitive opinion on the quality of the multiplayer, thanks to how much it is likely to change over time.

It's a bit of a messy area. I think reviewers should definitely be upfront about what sections of the game they are actually reviewing. Chances are, in a game like U2, the single-player side of the game is going to be what makes up most of the experience in their eyes, whereas with a game like MW2, I can see multiplayer being more important.

Yoboman

Rez said:
I can sympathise with reviewers out there who didn't really touch on it, though. For people who are like myself, who just can't get into a multiplayer shooter to save their lives, forcing themselves to try and play the multiplayer mode for extended periods of time isn't really going to add much to the review.

And, given they probably won't be able to play the multiplayer over the long term, it would be very hard to really give a definitive opinion on the quality of the multiplayer, thanks to how much it is likely to change over time.

It's a bit of a messy area. I think reviewers should definitely be upfront about what sections of the game they are actually reviewing. Chances are, in a game like U2, the single-player side of the game is going to be what makes up most of the experience in their eyes, whereas with a game like MW2, I can see multiplayer being more important.
That's what I mean though, I think the quality of the MP is up there with the best so (assuming the reviewers are agreeing upon playing) then the MP deserves a bigger nod in the review. Not so much for a score purpose (you can't get much higher than it already is), but an information purpose.

I guess mainly because for a lot of people, they aren't just "here for the singleplayer" anymore.

Ashour

highluxury said:
Not if they are relatively thoroughly created or cleverly designed.

10.000 kills are lol worthy. but play like 100 matches is pretty much alright.

I agree with this, I hate MP trophies but having ones that don't require you to quit life is fine.

rhino4evr

I had a really hard time not playing the demo last night. Instead I played the Brutal Legend demo, which was good enough to hold me over..still not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Rez said:

But its the job a reviewer to attempt to judge a product not merely based on their own opinion, but against certain standard defined by a number of criteria. If the reviewer doesn't play much multiplayer, they should have someone who reviews that aspect who does.

deepbrown said:
There are 100 treasures in the full game :O

Shame there's only two trophies for multiplayer though. I guess all the rewards are in-game, and the Dog's will be given extra space for trophies when they put out the first MP DLC pack.

The 100 treasures is exciting. 39 more than the first.

Yoboman

I went back to Uncharted 1... I completed most of the game before the trophy patch came out? Now I started a new game and trophies don't seem to be popping up, plus how do I get the trophies for treasures if they are collected?

I was under the impression that they only reviewed the single player due to some embargo or something along those lines. Reviewing online multiplayer prior to launch has always been pretty common. I was expecting another rush of reviews or updates to reviews going over the multiplayer at some date closer to launch.

Yoboman said:
I went back to Uncharted 1... I completed most of the game before the trophy patch came out? Now I started a new game and trophies don't seem to be popping up, plus how do I get the trophies for treasures if they are collected?

Did you start a completely new game? I remember you had to delete your old save or something like that for them to register. I did it awhile ago and restarted. I didn't finish the second time, so I just started a new game again and the trophies are popping for me.

Yoboman said:

You have to start a completely fresh game. You cannot carry over anything into a new game (treasures etc...).

I guess the reason behind this is that the save games from before the trophy patch could not be counted because they were not tied to an account so people, in theory, could just pass around a saved game and gain all the trophies for it.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nelsonroyale said:
But its the job a reviewer to attempt to judge a product not merely based on their own opinion, but against certain standard defined by a number of criteria. If the reviewer doesn't play much multiplayer, they should have someone who reviews that aspect who does.
well, to be blunt, I strongly disagree with that. A review is a formalised opinion. A reviewers task is, simply, to relate the experience they had with the game to their readers.

Working down a checklist of points you need to make in a review is a bit of a mechanical, disingenuous way of conveying an opinion. It's up to each individual reviewer to decide what points they feel are worth a mention, ESPECIALLY if the publication they work for bylines the review.

If, on the other-hand, the publication presents its review as: "this is Publication X's opinion on Game Y", then perhaps a more workman like approach might be appropriate, in the name of consistency, if nothing else.

In the end, it comes down to each reviewers own personal style, I guess. Critical writing (in fact, most forms of writing) isn't a science so much as it is an art. Each reviewer brings in their own biases, both toward the game and toward their preferred writing style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom