• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HYDE

Banned
@godbeard:

What is it that you're scared you won't like with Uncharted or what was it about TR and G that put you off?(so I can better answer your question)

Umm, in Tomb Raider I thought the puzzles and spike pit/revolving blades platforming stuff were kinda boring. I understand that this game has better combat, but TR was basically just tigers and monkeys and crap(I haven't played a TR since the PS1). Gears, I dunno. I just don't like shooters that much. Never really gets my blood pumping. Especially when it's just a whole game of hiding behind rocks, makes it more of a shooting gallery. I couldn't even finish Gears 2 because I got bored. I like harder, skill-based games for the most part, unless they go all out with the presentation(the only PS3 games I have so far are Demon's Souls and MGS4, to illustrate).

God's Beard said:
Umm, in Tomb Raider I thought the puzzles and spike pit/revolving blades platforming stuff were kinda boring. I understand that this game has better combat, but TR was basically just tigers and monkeys and crap(I haven't played a TR since the PS1). Gears, I dunno. I just don't like shooters that much. Never really gets my blood pumping. Especially when it's just a whole game of hiding behind rocks, makes it more of a shooting gallery. I couldn't even finish Gears 2 because I got bored. I like harder, skill-based games for the most part, unless they go all out with the presentation(the only PS3 games I have so far are Demon's Souls and MGS4, to illustrate).

You will love Uncharted.

Lagspike_exe said:
You will love Uncharted.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. To be honest, I don't know anything about this game other than it's Gears+Tomb Raider=best game ever. I just feel like I'm missing something. I saw the E3 demo, and that looked pretty cool i guess.

God's Beard said:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. To be honest, I don't know anything about this game other than it's Gears+Tomb Raider=best game ever. I just feel like I'm missing something. I saw the E3 demo, and that looked pretty cool i guess.

I'm serious.

The puzzles aren't focused on you trying to memorize a set of actions (like evade the blade/jump/run/jump etc.) but involve use of brain (and a journal sometimes).

Combat isn't evolved just around fire arms - stealth and CQC is used very often. The AI is outstanding and will force you to think outside the box to defeat them.

If you like games with awesome stories and character development - you will love Uncharted 2. The game is a pure blast to play. Acting is simply the best seen in a game to this very day. Graphics and cutscenes (which are linked to acting, of course) are incredible and so is the orchestral music.

Even without the multiplayer component, this is easily the best game of the year. And if you're into multiplayer, you can get many, many hours from this BluRay disk.

HYDE

Banned
God's Beard said:

You will for sure love Uncharted 2(for more being more versatile); however, Uncharted 1 may be worth your while since it is a budget title now. It does seem to be more archaic than its sequel in retrospect of course. The setting of Uncharted 1 will make you enjoy 2 even moreso though(imho).

The only Tomb Raider feature I liked was the treasure finding in Legend, but Uncharted 1 even surpasses that. If you love action/adventure and exploration(and Indiana Jones), you will absolutely fall in love.

Go buy Uncharted 1 and 2 now!

crispyben

Irish said:
For some people (me included), it's a ton harder to do well with a full party because everyone else on the team can actually kill the enemy. This means there are less enemies alive at any given moment, seriously ruining your possible kill count. Each individuals' performance suffers, but the team as a whole does better.
I know, I noticed that, but you can't have it both ways! I'm happy anyway, as long as other GAFers welcome me in their parties.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
God's Beard said:

The "puzzles" in Uncharted aren't anything like that. Most of them involve following some obvious but fun platforming paths, and like 3 involve looking at your journal and matching symbols basically. There is a buch of combat. Like, a whole lot. So much so that Uncharted is basically a shooter. It does indeed go all out with the presentation. Production values are through the roof and the game is MUCH better than MGS 4.

HYDE

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
The "puzzles" in Uncharted aren't anything like that. Most of them involve following some obvious but fun platforming paths, and like 3 involve looking at your journal and matching symbols basically. There is a buch of combat. Like, a whole lot. So much so that Uncharted is basically a shooter. It does indeed go all out with the presentation. Production values are through the roof and the game is MUCH better than MGS 4.

Seriously, MGS4 before Uncharted 2 (IGN needs to shut the hell up).

Uncharted 2 is freaking amazing.

Furoba

Co-Op Arena, I hate some players...
First they sit in a corner doing nothing, and then all of a sudden they kill you for several rounds on end, making it impossible to respawn or do anything, while they go on and kill enemies. Leaving the game results in loss of money and a time penalty so all you can do is sit and wait...

Naughty Dog should have implemented a report abuse feature.

Levi

Banned
I've encountered this idle player many, many times since the auto-rematch was put into place. Nobian1

Check out his plunder stats: 2605 kills, 29677 deaths. 4815 matches played, with 88 treasures captured.

He's also had 272 perfect games (presumably because the other team never checked the spawn--which means the team he was on probably never got the treasure back to their base). Can't tell how many captures he's leached off of teams who were down a man because of him, but he has a total of over 30 million and is a level 57--because he's been in around 7500 matches and apparently leaves his ps3 on and his idle character in Plunder 24/7.

kikanny

VsRobot said:
I've encountered this idle player many, many times since the auto-rematch was put into place. Nobian1

Check out his plunder stats: 2605 kills, 29677 deaths. 4815 matches played, with 88 treasures captured.

He's also had 272 perfect games (presumably because the other team never checked the spawn--which means the team he was on probably never got the treasure back to their base). Can't tell how many captures he's leached off of teams who were down a man because of him, but he has a total of over 30 million and is a level 57--because he's been in around 7500 matches and apparently leaves his ps3 on and his idle character in Plunder 24/7.
Why would people do that? I mean the whole point of playing a game is to have FUN!

Irish

I think he's been absent since Day 5 or so, because I've played with him in at least 50 or so matches and only saw him play once in October.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
VsRobot said:

The idler stuff is really dumb. However, I thought your team needed to win the match for the perfect medal, so I guess the other team was just really bad for those matches.

Irish

Hey, similar things have happened with the GAF crew. One of us would leave to grab a drink or something before the match started (leaving himself open in the spawn) and come back to find himself against 5 guys and still win.

Get rid of stat tracking and you'll get rid of this shit. Believe me. It ruins these types of games (along with perks/boosters/whatever you want to call them).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kadey said:
How do you run enemies over for the riot shield trophy?
Shoot at the shield until enemy behind it kinda drops back and tilts his shield like a ramp. Then run up to him from the front, and press [] when prompted. You'll run up to the shield, and behind the enemy to kick him from the back, that way.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kadey said:
How do you run enemies over for the riot shield trophy?
From what I remember, its a medal, not a trophy...... ; )

Shoot the riot dude till he's laying on the floor and his shield is practically horizontal, then get close and you'll see the melee button notification pop up if you're not playing on Crushing. Press the Square button once to run over the shield, then quickly press it again when it tells you to snap his neck.

Finally found time to play this....and wow, thank you Naughty Dog for such an amazing game. It's gorgeous (prettier than CODMW2 with everything maxxed,IMO) and the new stealth kills are simply genius, I feel like such a badass when I clear a whole area without a gun (makes me wish Metal Gear had those moves).

More Uncharted, please, and don't ever stop.

Kittonwy

Banned
Irish said:
Ouch, I was really off my already terrible game tonight. :(

I don't think I had a single decent game tonight, those gaf 5v5 games just weren't very fun for me.
Indifferent2.gif

hamchan

Woot! I'm so happy right now because I just beat Crushing. Lazarevic was very annoying once again but perseverance on my end lead to his defeat! Now I just have to find all the treasures to get platinum.

It's been a fun ride and Uncharted 2 has lasted me ages more than I expected it to but it's finally time to move onto other games. Who knows if i'll ever play it again? Maybe when Uncharted 3 comes out i'll pull it out to relive the memories.

SickBoy

HYDE said:
Do you like awesome, then yes. (serious note, what didn't you like about gears, because the combat is way better than Tomb Raider)
You need to play Uncharted 1 first(not necessarily, but 2 will spoil you), to be able to enjoy it(not necessarily either, 'cause it's awesome). If you play 2 first then go back to 1, it might ruin it for you or feel kind of archaic. They are both incruking fedible, so go buy both and play through(first one is greatest hits now). Best series on PS3 imo.

Gotta say, you don't need to. In fact, I was extremely skeptical about U2 because when I played the first game I was pretty underwhelmed. Saw the appeal in the first game, sure, but I thought it was a combination of great presentation and great graphics (for the time) wrapped up in a pretty good platformer and a mediocre shooter with firefights built primarily at throwing wave upon waves of enemies at you. That said, I know a lot of people love it, but I might never have played Uncharted 2 because of how I felt about the original (thanks Boxing Day and a $35 price tag)

But I think what gets lost about U2 because of the love for the original is that it is a huge improvement over the first game. Huge. For every time I rolled my eyes at the first game's scenarios, I was impressed by something in the second game (didn't particularly care for the final two chapters, mind you, although the final action scene is fun)

Sorry, to WOWbagger, HighLuxury, Grandben, & vsrobot, I got dced on that last match and I think WOWbagger got to. It was time for me to have some lunch so I just left.

HYDE

Banned
SickBoy said:
Gotta say, you don't need to. In fact, I was extremely skeptical about U2 because when I played the first game I was pretty underwhelmed. Saw the appeal in the first game, sure, but I thought it was a combination of great presentation and great graphics (for the time) wrapped up in a pretty good platformer and a mediocre shooter with firefights built primarily at throwing wave upon waves of enemies at you. That said, I know a lot of people love it, but I might never have played Uncharted 2 because of how I felt about the original (thanks Boxing Day and a $35 price tag)

But I think what gets lost about U2 because of the love for the original is that it is a huge improvement over the first game. Huge. For every time I rolled my eyes at the first game's scenarios, I was impressed by something in the second game (didn't particularly care for the final two chapters, mind you, although the final action scene is fun)

I really think its funny how people try and label Uncharted 1 as mediocre, far from it.
Uncharted 1 will still blow away a large majority of any other games.
Just cause Uncharted 2 is one of the best games ever made, doesn't mean the first one wasn't great, especially for its time. A lot of people didn't own PS3s when it came out, and are now discovering it in retrospect and after advances in new types of gameplay. For a budget title, I don't think God Beard or anyone else on the fence should hesitate. Unless they hate awesome! Just do yourselves a favor peeps and play #1 first if you are LTTP.
(Hopes the kitton comes to back him up):D

Irish

They don't, but you can turn around easier with them equipped and aren't constantly switching weapons when climbing up from things or dropping the treasure.

I have been extremely awful these last few days. Not only that, but we've been playing with new GAFfers. :( Oh well, at least you guys know for sure that I really am one of the worst players you'll ever meet in Uncharted.

Levi

Banned
The invalid booster makes me feel like such a bad-ass. Even going 8-8 feels like a huge accomplishment. 26-28? I am a god. Of course, seeing 5x Get Off My Lawn medals at the wrap-up screen makes me wish they'd raise the cap. Oh, well, eventually their will be another 2x cash weekend.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I had 7 one time
(please get rid of or expand the cap ND)
. Relying on the pistol seems to get me TONS of assists
(you bastards keep stealing mah kills)
. Invalid is really irritating when people know you have it on and they just melee as soon as they can see you for a one hit kill.

Levi

Banned
Yeah, I can hear the other team sometimes, telling each other I have invalid and targetting me specifically. Just makes it even sweeter when their team loses 5-0 in under 10 minutes and I hit the money cap.
Gaf parties: unstoppable

I might stick with Invalid until I unlock Come Get Some, but I am eager to try out Half-Loaded.

Something else I love is going up against parties who talk yang at the loading screen but then can't wait to back out after the match is done.

HYDE

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
I had 7 one time
(please get rid of or expand the cap ND)
. Relying on the pistol seems to get me TONS of assists
(you bastards keep stealing mah kills)
. Invalid is really irritating when people know you have it on and they just melee as soon as they can see you for a one hit kill.

I am in this same boat, it sucks. I had 5 get off my lawns and then the cap says f you. It would be cool if you could switch boosters mid-match and earn medals accordingly. I'd love to pistol whip someone when they assume they're coming in for an easy kill. :D
Do it Naughty Dog!

Edit: or if you could switch boosters during your spawn time wait.

Irish

Why do GAF games always have to be so punishing? :p

I had a great time tonight though. I even got to hear CHRP's voice in an unaltered state. Now all we need to do is get him and Joe talking on a regular basis. (Yes, we can be annoying, but it's worth it, damn it!)

Also for some reason, I was actually doing well in a full party. That almost never happens. I still do so much better against groups of people instead of one on one which is kinda weird. The closer they get to me, the quicker they die. I still suck at long range though. (Well, as long as I don't have any grenades. If I do, prepare to explode. :p) I'm working on it though. I've even been using my AK every once in a while.

SickBoy

HYDE said:
I really think its funny how people try and label Uncharted 1 as mediocre, far from it.
Uncharted 1 will still blow away a large majority of any other games.
Just cause Uncharted 2 is one of the best games ever made, doesn't mean the first one wasn't great, especially for its time. A lot of people didn't own PS3s when it came out, and are now discovering it in retrospect and after advances in new types of gameplay. For a budget title, I don't think God Beard or anyone else on the fence should hesitate. Unless they hate awesome! Just do yourselves a favor peeps and play #1 first if you are LTTP.
(Hopes the kitton comes to back him up):D

Hold on, don't be so selective (the word "mediocre" doesn't apply to the whole). IMO, the parts of the original Uncharted measure up like this:

Story and graphics: SWEET!
Platforming: This is fun!
Shooting: Meh
Huge amounts of cannon fodder: Bleh.

It's still a good game and likely worth playing for a lot of gamers, but it isn't the "game of the forever" it was made out to be here. A lot of people railed about the reviews, but I think they're well deserved and appropriate (although I'd contend its metacritic score is a few points overly generous). It's also my totally unfounded belief that a lot of gamers forgave its shortcomings because it looked great and more importantly, had fun platforming and a well told story.

To be clear, I don't want to say it's not worth playing... but I don't think it's remotely necessary to play the original (and in fact, given God Beard's skepticism about whether he'll enjoy the games, the little annoyances that permeate the game may ruin him for No. 2).

Jaroof

Irish said:
I had a great time tonight though. I even got to hear CHRP's voice in an unaltered state. Now all we need to do is get him and Joe talking on a regular basis. (Yes, we can be annoying, but it's worth it, damn it!)

Also for some reason, I was actually doing well in a full party. That almost never happens. I still do so much better against groups of people instead of one on one which is kinda weird. The closer they get to me, the quicker they die. I still suck at long range though. (Well, as long as I don't have any grenades. If I do, prepare to explode. :p) I'm working on it though. I've even been using my AK every once in a while.

YES!!! Thank you for coming back. Had it not been for you, we still would've been in the dark about CHRP's voice.. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity! :lol

GG tonight everybody!!
Well.. the games that I could be a part of.. stupid laggy internet..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
grenades were extra laggy tonight for some reason. It would also be nice if you would all have some honor and not run for the hammer at the beginning of every elimination match (it shouldn't even be there in the first place).

Irish

Agreed. Then again, if I kill somebody using it, I'll go ahead and carry it around. On the other hand, the hammer in my hands isn't really a threat to anyone but myself. I think I'm the only one who could waste an entire clip on someone standing fifteen feet in front of and still not kill them.

Snipes424

alr1ghtstart said:
grenades were extra laggy tonight for some reason. It would also be nice if you would all have some honor and not run for the hammer at the beginning of every elimination match (it shouldn't even be there in the first place).

I usually try to get it so the other team doesn't get it, since it's so OP, if you guys want to make a no-hammer rule where no one can get it, I have no problem with that.

hamchan

Just platinumed the game! My first platinum and probably my only one for a long time since achievements aren't my priority when I game. Uncharted 2 was so good though, I felt I just had to get it.

crispyben

Irish said:
I have been extremely awful these last few days. Not only that, but we've been playing with new GAFfers. :( Oh well, at least you guys know for sure that I really am one of the worst players you'll ever meet in Uncharted.
Sounds like me :D
Irish said:
Agreed. Then again, if I kill somebody using it, I'll go ahead and carry it around. On the other hand, the hammer in my hands isn't really a threat to anyone but myself. I think I'm the only one who could waste an entire clip on someone standing fifteen feet in front of and still not kill them.
Sounds even more like me :lol

Maybe we should let our partners vote on who's the worst? (not that there's any pride in being...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom