• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sentry said:
So awesome. :lol Best one yet IMO, love the 'yeah, i'm gonna file this under not an issue' line, and the g/f with the popcorn at the end. Hopefully they keep it up.
"it's been two days" and gf w/ popcorn :lol

Jostifer

Amir0x said:
i don't think it's exactly smart to highlight how much a game is like a movie, considering we are playing videogames and not watching movies.
C'MON. Everyone can see the compliment. ;)

Thrakier

Amir0x said:
i don't think it's exactly smart to highlight how much a game is like a movie, considering we are playing videogames and not watching movies. But that's rad footage. blackout time.

I don't know...I mean they clearly say that it's a game, it's just THAT much of a blockbuster to fool a women. :p Peoples reaction should be more like "wow, you can play a game that's like a movie". I guess. The general public should react in another way than some nerds who know that there are games out there with more cutscenes than gameplay...

Schrade

Awesome ad is awesome!

rsx942.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amir0x said:
i don't think it's exactly smart to highlight how much a game is like a movie, considering we are playing videogames and not watching movies. But that's rad footage. blackout time.
I think that most people who are not super-hardcore gamers will note that as a point of interest. Superhardcores know exactly what the game is and how it plays anyways, so for them it doesn't matter.

Amir0x

Banned
Jostifer said:
C'MON. Everyone can see the compliment. ;)

It's obviously intended as a compliment as in "wow this game looks so real and has such compelling storytelling it might be as good as a movie!"

But I just think as a general rule, it's always bad when you have to imply that games might be as good as another medium that people are not trying to get into when they play games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amir0x said:
It's obviously intended as a compliment as in "wow this game looks so real and has such compelling storytelling it might be as good as a movie!"

But I just think as a general rule, it's always bad when you have to imply that games might be as good as another medium that people are not trying to get into when they play games.
I think they made a good distinction saying that for the side observer it looks like a movie. And for visual storytelling it's very much a big deal if another medium can be as good as a movie.

Amir0x

Banned
Is the goal of games to make good movies, or make good games?

That's my only point. However, it's nothing serious. Just a personal belief.

LaneDS

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I wonder if they are still keeping with the "Supernatural" type theme like in the first.

It has been confirmed that they are.

And that ad is hilarious. Good work by Sony.

Schrade

I would say the goal of games is to provide good entertainment. If a game can provide entertainment just like a good movie can then the developers have succeeded.

Games are just a different experience because they're interactive.

I'm sure many of us have girlfriends/wives/significant others that love to watch us play and are perfectly entertained, have fun and are content just watching.

Well.. wait. This is NeoGAF so reduce the many to just "some" hehe.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amir0x said:

For a side observer it's important that it entertains that way as well. I don't know how common of an occurrence it is, but I have that exact situation at my home :) Uncharted was one of games that was very fun to watch for someone not playing it, and it's not a bad selling point.

Movies are a lot more emotionally engaging than video games without the cutscene, so to achieve that kind of status with gameplay, which is what Ueda has been doing, is quite a feat. Like Adam Sessler said, this game makes you forget that you're playing a game.

Even with Uncharted, I felt like the seamless animation and character responses made it feel extremely cinematic.

Amir0x said:

While I agree with you that games shouldn't pretend to be movies, still, giving players the sense that they're taking part in an adventure film-like experience is what they're going for. My girlfriend is actually the same way as the girl in that preview, she'll watch me play games if the characters and storytelling are well done and interesting, I know you don't care for it but she begs me to play Metal Gear Solid 4 like every day so she can watch the cutscenes :lol

So at least for me, I think it's cool that games like Uncharted can make people want to watch you play them, now I don't have to tell her "hey look this part is awesome" because she'll be watching without me having to ask her to. That's not really the point of Uncharted, I know, but I do like it that they're starting to break grounds in cinematic storytelling to go along with great gameplay and I like it that she gets more interested in watching me play games because she can go along for the ride without a controller.

Kittonwy

Banned
Amir0x said:

The goal of games is to make good interactive and immersive experience, interactive gameplay but with the immersiveness of a movie-like experience. >:|

noah111

Still Alive
Amir0x said:

OBVIOUSLY, but you have to remember that this is a commercial for general people, not hardcore gamers.

I'm pretty sure their point was that it's such a technical marvel and a thrilling ride that it could pass as a movie to those who don't play video games.. at least that's what I got out of it.

Zzoram

Excellent ad. I hope whoever thought those white-room ads were good was fired. These new "It only does Everything" ads are so much better.

J-Rzez said:
Ad's not bad. But was hoping there would be something similar to the first ad. I actually liked that a lot.
Unfortunately, I don't think the American audience responds well to ads like the first one. They like seeing consumers like themselves play the game.

Kevin Butler just takes it to the next level! :lol

That was a good commercial.

...and then I looked at the comments:

Uncharted 2 does look fantastic, and its review scores put it as one of the highest rated games of all time, but I’d rather get Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, Brutal Legend, and Demon’s Souls over Uncharted 2.

kanye.gif

It should have a stand alone commercial that actually shows the game for 30 seconds. While funny, it dosent grab the uncharted world very well.

The first Uncharted ads was like that, didn't work.

Kittonwy

Banned
Boombloxer said:
That was a good commercial.

...and then I looked at the comments:

kanye.gif

There will always be people who would rather buy inferior games than Uncharted 2, it's sad but what can you do, it's a free world.
Indifferent2.gif

Erebus

Schrade said:
Awesome ad is awesome!

rsx942.gif
Nice! Now that the marketing department got their act together and they also cut the price of PS3, I hope U2 sells a shitload of copies during the holiday season! NaughtyDog really deserves it.:D

I've got this, Brutal Legend and Demon's Souls all pre-ordered and fully paid for and they're all coming out at roughly the same time. I'm not going to know which game to play. Not a bad situation to be in.

I need 2 good players to beat Gold Rush with. I still haven't been able to finish all 10 rounds, and I really need some good people.

Anyone interested, add me up, I'm on right now.

PSN: IronFistedChamp

(Yes, I have a mic).

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
There will always be people who would rather buy inferior games than Uncharted 2, it's sad but what can you do, it's a free world.
Indifferent2.gif

Maybe we need to do something about this.... *rubs chin*

Kittonwy said:
The goal of games is to make good interactive and immersive experience, interactive gameplay but with the immersiveness of a movie-like experience. >:|

Not all games, the main goal should be to make something as fun as possible. But in terms of this game, because its going for that Indiana Jones like vibe and it is very story driven they go hand in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom