• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaroof

Irish said:
Hey, I'm new to online gameplay and I really did love U2. It stopped being fun and even people who don't have BFBC2 aren't playing it anymore.

I still love me some U2 MP.
With Just Cause 2, and God of War 3, I'll be a little distracted.
If I see people on U2, I'll gladly join though. :D

Yeef

I'm still chipping away at FFXIII with the occasional session of Rock Band. Like I said before, once some new DLC hits I'm sure a lot of us will return.

wouwie

Yesterday, i finally finished my crushing run. I had postponed finishing the last 3 chapters because i don't really like them but i went ahead and finished the game anyway.

I was expecting a trophy for my crushing run but it appears that i finished all chapters on crushing in two different save games. Apparently, this doesn't count as finishing the game on crushing. Which is not what i expected.

Anyway, fantastic awesome game (with the exception of the last chapters). I played it on normal, hard and crushing. Crushing is very do-able.

wouwie said:
Yesterday, i finally finished my crushing run. I had postponed finishing the last 3 chapters because i don't really like them but i went ahead and finished the game anyway.

I was expecting a trophy for my crushing run but it appears that i finished all chapters on crushing in two different save games. Apparently, this doesn't count as finishing the game on crushing. Which is not what i expected.

Anyway, fantastic awesome game (with the exception of the last chapters). I played it on normal, hard and crushing. Crushing is very do-able.
crushing is the way to go even (imo) when you have some shooter experience. shame about the double save :S...

Haven't played multiplayer in a few weeks. Might dive back in over the next couple days, but i'm not really feeling that itch to play it like i used to. :/

Rewrite said:
I'm playing through Uncharted 1's Crushing Mode and man is it fucking BRUTAL. I don't know how I'm going to beat the whole game...
Haha, yeah. I finished a crushing run of UC1 last week. It was sooooooo much harder than UC2's crushing difficulty. The checkpoints are spaced out much farther than UC2's, which i think is the main reason it was a bigger pain. It was still doable, but you had to be much more careful and i know i died way more often in comparison.

Goldrusher

wouwie said:
Via chapter select, you can replay the chapters you haven't done on crushing. Trophy will be yours. Maybe you'll have to do the last battle again too. But definitely not the entire game from beginning to end.

I know that this should probably be in the matchup thread but I already tried there and didn't get any responses. Is anyone up for some co-op? I haven't really got a chance to play it yet and playing with randomers isn't that fun. I'll be playing competitive too. My PSN ID is electroshockwave and I'm on GMT time but since I'm off uni I'll probably be available in the American evening time.

Halcyon

I never played with any of you guys, but I sorta stopped playing UC2 multiplayer just because I hate a few of the maps, and after awhile I needed a little more reason to keep playing other than just to play. Needs more of an rpg element like getting different loot or something for me to want to keep playing.

This is my main problem with mostly all multiplayer shooting games though.

jred2k

What are the stipulations to getting the new co-op trophies? Me and two buddies cleared Wave 10 on Survival the other night, but none of us got a trophy for it. Do we have to own the new maps or go through matchmaking or something?

Also, does anybody else feel like the stairs in Lost City are kind of broken in one part? When we were playing I got stuck running up them a few times. I'm talking about the ones leading up to the temple with the hole in the floor, by the back of the map.

Rikyfree

jred2k said:
What are the stipulations to getting the new co-op trophies? Me and two buddies cleared Wave 10 on Survival the other night, but none of us got a trophy for it. Do we have to own the new maps or go through matchmaking or something?

Also, does anybody else feel like the stairs in Lost City are kind of broken in one part? When we were playing I got stuck running up them a few times. I'm talking about the ones leading up to the temple with the hole in the floor, by the back of the map.
Do you have the new map pack?

Wowbagger

jred2k said:

Yeah, it's annoying that your character won't run up those stairs smoothly without you guiding him around the broken steps, especially when carrying the treasure with enemies in close pursuit.

sam27368

Banned
Going back over the collection to platinum as many as possible and played UC2 on hard last night (to unlock crushing), damn there are some fiddly bits on this game! Getting Drake to move and jump where I wanted him to was quite a challenge at times, I don't remember the game being this fiddly

jred2k

Wowbagger said:
Yeah, it's annoying that your character won't run up those stairs smoothly without you guiding him around the broken steps, especially when carrying the treasure with enemies in close pursuit.

Yeah I mainly noticed it to be an issue if I was trying to carry the GAU 119 up the stairs walking backwards. Rolling was an issue sometimes too.

BPK

How good is the DLC? The video made it look fun, but I've been burned so many times this generation by buying DLC that it turns out nobody has and thus I never get to play it. How do they ensure that people with DLC will get to play the two new levels since the vast majority of players don't have the upgrade?

BPK said:
How good is the DLC? The video made it look fun, but I've been burned so many times this generation by buying DLC that it turns out nobody has and thus I never get to play it. How do they ensure that people with DLC will get to play the two new levels since the vast majority of players don't have the upgrade?

i was wondering if buying the DLC would speed up the matchmaking myself, MP is pretty fun, having more people to play with would be nice

Gyrian

Irish said:
Don't you dare delete me. :p

You're forgiven for March, but you'd better turn back up in April. :p

I still join the U2 chat room when I'm using the PS3 for gaming, but these past few days I've been alone there.
I think we might be falling into the 'no one in my list is playing, so I won't either' syndrome.

If I'm online, I'm definitely up for it. I've been occupying my time with SFIV lately, and it's really easy to pop out of. :]

timkunedo

Just tried firing up my old single player saves and so far 3 of them caused the loading screen to freeze (music hangs) and ps3 to reboot. gonna try to reinstall the updates. hopefully i don't lose them :(

Yeef

I got disconnected from PSN and couldn't reconnect. I've been having PSN problems for the last week or so, but I always just ignored them since I was playing FFXIII anyway. Connection test confirms that it's PSN and not anything on my end. I think robot got disconnected as well.

Yeef said:
I got disconnected from PSN and couldn't reconnect. I've been having PSN problems for the last week or so, but I always just ignored them since I was playing FFXIII anyway. Connection test confirms that it's PSN and not anything on my end. I think robot got disconnected as well.

I played it the (Monday 22) other day and it took two hours to finally get connected. Errors ranged from "Errors Syncing Levels" to those other random message in there.

Kittonwy

Banned
GG guyz, gotta say I still enjoy running into people who trash-talks.
Indifferent2.gif

Levi

Banned
Still getting spawned with enemies in Fort.

Put some real time into the game tonight. I had some good matches and some terrible matches, and picked up two more mp trophies.

Started thinking this game was fun again and then had five straight deathes in Sanctuary when assholes would spawn behind me.

Levi

Banned
I've been emailing back and forth a bit with BleachEX, a mainstay of the GAF group playing UC2 for as long as I've been there. He's still waiting for his account to get approved, so I thought I'd post some of his thoughts here for the group to chew over.

BleachEX said:
Glitches and Bugs
Co-op: Let's say Player B and C are in the down position, waiting to be revived. If player A revives either B or C, right when player A dies, the game will think all players are dead, yet B or C are now alive. The game will not continue on. The only way is to quit, or for Player A to kill themselves if retries are available.

Co-op: If you kill all your team members after finishing Round 10 of a co-op game, the game will think you failed, and then continue on to Round 11. This only works if you have retries left. It is not actually Round 11, but Round 10. The game assumes the next round is 11.

Train Wreck: Since the beginning of multi-player, there has been an unsolved issue where the game will hard lock your PS3 around the left side of the Heroes' initial spawn. Running left near the oil tanker car, while looking out into the center of the map has triggered this issue for me multiple times. Some have reported this also happening around the Villains' spawn as well, however I can not confirm this.

Dead body glitch: Cause unknown. Sometimes players will die, but their physical body will not re-spawn and stay there for the rest of the match. They will still able to play, but be be invisible, silent, and capable of hurting other players. When they pick up an object such as the treasure or a propane tank, it will also turn invisible until they drop or throw it.

Rematch glitch: Sometimes a match will start with more than 20 minutes on the clock. The servers freak out, and all players appear stationary at their spawn points, since the match has not "begun". However each player can still move on their screen, and can hurt stationary players on the other team. You can not dodge fire, because the game thinks you are always standing still. One time this happened when we did not rematch a team, so it is possibly something else causing this. However in the past it has mostly happened when facing the same team after several matches. Thus it has been dubbed the Rematch glitch by the community.

Booster swapping: A larger issue as more and more people find out of its existence. If you have a booster on before "Choose your boosters..." turns 1, and the game hangs briefly, you can swap out to another booster at the last second. The result is having both boosters active. Popular combinations are having Situational Awareness, and then switching to Evasion. The result is having the best of both. Sure Shot and Down the Irons. Negative Booster swapped out for a "positive" booster. You still get the medals, and have the weakness, but gain whatever advantage you want. And many more.

Replay menu: Deleting a replay in the menu, and then entering the replay that it highlights after the deletion (i.e. don't move the cursor up or down to select a different replay), will show the same information of the previously deleted replay, instead of the proper information of the replay actually selected.

Face Smash glitch: If Player A is next to a wall on their left, and smashes Player B's face into the ledge in front of them, Player A will warp left into the geometry and get stuck, as it seems the animation only works by smashing their face to the right. Either there needs to be an animation for situations to smash faces to left, or both characters need to warp to the right to avoid Player A clipping into the level. The latter of which is lazy, and the former of which is desirable. Prime examples of this are on the waterfall and adjacent side on The Lost City, and in the truck on The Plaza.

Typo: In the Drake's Fortune DLC trophy list in the in-game menu: the first trophy's description has a typo of "of" instead of "or." This is reflected in-game and on the XMB trophy list.

Pre-spawn death glitch: 1 second before you spawn, if a grenade is placed on your dead body, when you spawn you will be killed again. There is a very brief moment when the game registers you as alive at your death point, and the resulting grenade kills you. The screen will flicker between your old and new location until you re-spawn again.

Levi

Banned
BleachEX said:
Suggestions
Options: In addition to Mute and Mute All, please include, Mute Opposing Team (won't be activated until matchmaking has finished and the game enters loading), and Mute Non-Friends (will mute everyone except players on your friends list). It would be nice if you could permanently toggle these options on, instead of having to do it manually every match.

Auto Shoulder Adjustment: This needs to be put into the Control Option menu with default set to Off. Options are always good! Even though a lot of people hate it, some people probably like it.

Ticker: Ticker's current feed name needs to be anchored. i.e. Kills is displayed at all times, while the kill stats are moving by. Otherwise you just catch glimpses of numbers and have no idea what they represent.

Ticker: The ticker of stats is too slow, and needs to be sped up a notch. As well, it is fairly useless as only the party leader can see it on the main screen. It would be nice if it was available all the time on the menus until you get into a game, or at least until matchmaking brings all 10 players together.

Replay Options: More controls in replays. There is no Rewind, Step Backwards, or Slow Backwards. It is very annoying that you can only go forward, or to the beginning of the match.

Replay Options: Minute chapter markers on the replay time line so you can skip to the area you want quickly. It currently takes forever to get to the end of a 20 minute match even at 5x speed.

Replay Options: When the replay ends, make sure it stops at the end instead of automatically resetting. The user can manually go back to the beginning with the Restart button. It is annoying when something you want to see happens seconds before the match ends, and it resets all the way back to the beginning.

Medals: The Retaliation Medal is a good idea, but poorly executed, I feel. It should only achieved if you kill that person first after you re-spawn. As it is, you get them left and right just for killing that person at anytime. They should also not count if you get an Afterlife, as they currently do.

Medals: Competitive Medals on the website stats should not be displayed in Co-op page, and vice-versa. From a design stand point it does not make much sense to have them displayed as greyed out when you can not aquire them. It only made sense when they were not split into different categories.

Medals: A very minor niggle in that some of the new Medals are different shades of color, such as Tricky, Unlucky, Protectorate, and Tip Off, and this inconsistency is odd for such a high profile company such as Naughty Dog. Don't let this one keep you up at night, or take you away from more important things. ;)

Medals: The new "Call of Duty" inspired medals have created many problems. Before they were on the right of the GUI and complimented the symmetry of Weapon/Clip on the left. Now the spot in the right is bare, completely throwing off basic design principles, and getting blocked by the scoreboard.

I used the scoreboard popping up as confirmation of death. Sometimes you can be in a really intense situation and think you're dead, the screen completely black and white, but you aren't, just sitting out in the open. Now with 1.06 you have the medals appearing and delaying the scoreboard and it throws me off. The whole idea of making the medals readable by delaying the scoreboard is pointless since it doesn't do that at the end of the match anyways. I believe there is no reason you can't have the new medal "system" while putting it back in the upper right where you can always see it.

My advice is to put it back to the right, to make sure the stats do not obscure the medal or cash value. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Custom Multiplayer Playlists: I think you should fire up GoldenEye 007 on the N64, and take some notes on mutliplayer playlists. Currently there is only RPG, Sniper/Pistole, Pistols/Grenades, and Crushing variants available for Deathmatch in Custom Games. Imagine .45 Defender only matches, AK-47/Pistol, Grenades only, melee only, GAU only, Wes only, Shotguns only, Hammers only, etc. It would be great if you could mix and match different weapons as well i.e. FAL+Sniper Rifle. We here at GAF really enjoy custom games, and try to make our own "rules" sometimes, but some people like to screw the rules over. *cough*Qlauragh*cough*

Characters: Female villains are a highly requested feature. Rika should technically be one. You have a large female player base, considering. As well, anyone using a female player on the Hero side has the disadvantage of being recognized as an enemy to the Villains.

Weapons: Currently Power weapons spawn in the middle of the map to make them balanced. However many people rush straight for them, and it gets old. I would like to suggest that they spawn in different locations. i.e. Where the Hammer spawns in Temple, the Rocket may spawn, the Desert 5, or the Shotgun. Each match would be random.

If by change you believe they should stay where they are, have completely random timers when they spawn in for the first time. ie. The Hammer may spawn in 30 seconds after a match starts, or possibly 4 minutes. The longest time it should wait is probably 5 minutes. Then it would be on the normal re-spawn timer.

If you think both ideas are great, combine them, by having them be in random spots, and random times, but shorten the first spawn time to 2 minutes and 30 seconds at most. Hopefully these ideas will spice up multiplayer at the beginning of a match.

Weapons: People like to camp the power weapons. I would like to suggest that each time you pick one up after the first time, it decreases in strength by 50%.

i.e. Rocket first time = 1 shot death. Rocket second time = 1 shot stun, 2 shots death, continue on.
Hammer first time = 1 shot stun, 2 shots death. Hammer Second time = 2 shots stun, 4 shots death, continue on.

This would possibly prevent repeated abuse of power weapons. I am very cautious on this suggestion, and just throwing it out there. If the previous suggestions are used, this one less important.

Treasure spawns: Every spawn 1-5 is predictable. They always spawn in the same pattern. It needs to be completely randomized. I would also like to see more and interesting places for it to spawn. There are plenty of interesting locations available in the middle of each map with varying heights.

Not sure about all of these, actually. The game feels wrong to me, but that might be the hundreds of hours I played before they drastically altered it. Not sure how much doing some of these will improve that.

Yeef

I didn't know Bleach wasn't active here.

Mostly good suggestions, but the replay stuff likely won't work. I'm fairly certain there reason that there's no rewind is because of technical issues. I'm guessing the demo files just keep track of each players button presses and living status (alive or dead) and simply plays the game for the players with that information. That's why the files are so small. Depending on the specifics of the engine it might be impossible for the replays to be rewound, but stopping at the very end is a great idea. Having a quick jump button would be nice as well (setting it to an insane speed and auto-pausing once it hits the next 'chapter' mark).

crispyben

Hey guys, I'm back from the other side of the world, finishing up Bioshock and about to tackle GOWIII, but I sure hope to squeeze in a few games with you this week-end :D

Wowbagger

arne said:
How are spawn points feeling these days on multiplayer?

They feel like the game is too aggressively trying to spawn players close to the action.

A few examples from matches I played in the last couple days:

2s0ls44.jpg

Here I'm the guy in the middle. Stepping through the replay, this is the frame where I and the two players top-right spawn. Sadly, those two were not on my team. Neither was the player to the left, who was already running around down there and choked me to death a second later.

2igouaa.jpg

I score a pulldown and then three enemies spawn right in front of me.

23r4aq0.jpg

Here I've just killed an enemy around the corner to the left when another spawns in the top-right corner.

In all of these cases there were spawn points far enough from the action that spawning players there wouldn't have resulted in cheap deaths.

BPK

Hey Warbagger, since I see that you have the DLC would you mind briefly commenting upon it? How good are the maps and how easy is it to get a ranked game in the DLC levels?

Replay Options: More controls in replays. There is no Rewind, Step Backwards, or Slow Backwards. It is very annoying that you can only go forward, or to the beginning of the match.

Replay Options: Minute chapter markers on the replay time line so you can skip to the area you want quickly. It currently takes forever to get to the end of a 20 minute match even at 5x speed.

Replay Options: When the replay ends, make sure it stops at the end instead of automatically resetting. The user can manually go back to the beginning with the Restart button. It is annoying when something you want to see happens seconds before the match ends, and it resets all the way back to the beginning.

I like this, just finished up "recording" all my replays, so I can relate to how these would make things a LOT better. I would add, if possible, maybe a "bookmark" feature to highlight specific moments? Probably a lot to ask, but it would be nice.

Oh and Naughty Dog Please! Fix the glitches in Cinema mode so that I can access all my replays properly!! I've got probably another's hour's worth of footage but not only are the wrong models used, but if someone's playing as a skeleton, the match doesn't load at all! ;_;

So I beat the game for the first time last night. OMG!!! The acting and comedy is my favorite EVER in a game. Love Nolan North! Graphically simply beautiful. Action that had me on my heels most of the game. Loved the story. Just astounding!

Wowbagger

BPK said:
Hey Warbagger, since I see that you have the DLC would you mind briefly commenting upon it? How good are the maps and how easy is it to get a ranked game in the DLC levels?

I think both maps are pretty good.

The Facility favours the Villains in Plunder cause the hole in the corner of their base gives them a much shorter path to the treasure spawn point by the sniper rifle.

The Heroes can get to the deagle faster, which I guess somewhat makes up for the Villains getting the sniper rifle.

The Flooded Ruins also favours Villains in Plunder as the Heroes' base resembles a Swiss cheese. Heroes delivering the treasure can be sniped in front of the chest from half across the map or attacked from nice hiding spots from all directions. You're much less vulnerable near the Villains' chest.

The Flooded Ruins also has a nasty out-of-map glitch that seemingly lets you kill people all over the map. I haven't encountered players exploiting it until very recently. Hopefully, it won't become as widely used as the infamous Fort glitches before ND fixes it.
o0ypao.jpg

Despite those issues, and the sometimes ridiculous spawning in The Facility, I've had a lot of fun playing both maps and would definitely recommend you get them.

I did some marathon dm/elim sessions with BleachEX the last couple days and both maps showed up quite often. Not as often as the original maps, I guess, but often enough.

Wowbagger

Wowbagger said:
The Heroes can get to the grenade launcher faster, which I guess somewhat makes up for the Villains getting to the sniper rifle first, but I'd prefer that both weapons were equally accessible to both teams for better Elimination balance.

In Chain Reaction, the pillar marking the third area blocks the grenade launcher; You can see it behind the pillar, but not pick it up.

Ignore this part. Found out today that the Chain Reaction issue has been fixed and the teams can get to the GL equally fast.

The Villains get the sniper rifle and the Heroes get the deagle. I suppose that's not too bad.

Noticed something odd today... my brother was playing the first Uncharted, and I noticed that Nate's shirt wrinkled a little as he walked, but it doesn't really seem to do that in Uncharted 2. Wonder why they took that out.

Banned
After the holy glut of games since it came out.( Heavy Rain, Katamari Forever, FF13, GoW3 to name but a few) I'm finally getting around to doing a trophy run of Uncharted 2.

What a fantastic game.

Anyway, just wanted to say it's really silly how the in-game bonus movies can be downloaded from the PLaystation store, but there's only 7 in-game and 12 on the store and they are in different order. Very, very fucking stupid.

jett

D-Member
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Noticed something odd today... my brother was playing the first Uncharted, and I noticed that Nate's shirt wrinkled a little as he walked, but it doesn't really seem to do that in Uncharted 2. Wonder why they took that out.

It's still there, you can see it in the Drake UC1 skin in multiplayer. It's really subtle though...it didn't really work out all that well in the first game anyway, although it was a neat effect.

HYDE

Banned
Uncharted 2 multiplayer sucks now. So much for kills by skills. Return it back to how it was, I'd prefer the glitches over this retarded fucking shit any day . They have broken the multiplayer, and now it is just a constant respawn storm. Naughty Dog ruined the experience for me and my friends.

I suggest newb mode and expert mode.
Let people chose which they like, fuck this forced bullshit.
I never heard people complain about anything, unless people were glitching or guarding spawn points. Fix it back bitches.

Kittonwy said:
All these people on my friends list and it's damn hard to find anyone to play U2 MP with (co-op doesn't really count, outside of getting that trophy, I don't really want to play co-op when I can play against real people).

No game is ever perfect, the fact is after a couple of months gaf PS3 basically moves onto the next thing, it happened to Killzone 2, it happened to Uncharted 2, the "changes" is just an excuse.
Indifferent2.gif

I can safely say that I quit due to the constant changes going on. I can also say that 5 of my friends quit along with the changes. I played this game religiously and really worked hard at getting better. They didn't make a few tweaks, they revamped the entire game, when I very rarely ever heard people complaining about the health.

Kittonwy

Banned
Yeef said:
Good games tonight. The spawns are still rather annoying on The Facility but seem to be better on the other maps we played.

I'd guess PAX East.

When u guyz play? I checked when I got home but I didn't see anyone playin. ;_;

Indifferent2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom