• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
TheExecutive said:
lol @ the 9.3. They have a very strict adherance to the 8.7 to 9.4 range. Most game reviews i see actually fall into that range... I guessed it would be the "obligatory" 9.2 and I see I wasnt that far off. Good score but I have a feeling I am personally going to score the game higher...

I have a review scale:

- Mother of fuck you must play this.
- Highly recommended
- Solid, all around
- Does some interesting things...
- Is it free?

Without going into a bitching thing about a 9.3 or even Gametrailers, but it does seem like certain games get singled out for a lack of originality, despite that being the norm with most games in popular genres, high profile or not. KZ2 got ripped on for it, and that is despite actually doing more with the first person perspective than the average shooter. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting original ideas, but it doesn't seem very consistent, does it? It's almost as if some titles fall prey to some imaginary standard.

LaneDS

I enjoyed the GT review. I didn't enjoy them say the game is devoid of originality, because the multiplayer alone stands as a testament to originality. Yeah, it's a 3rd person shooter, but there's never been a third person shooter where you have such incredible mobility options.

Without having touched the single player, that alone is pretty damn original if you ask me.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Rez said:
It's small, but it's enough to really through me off.

Most of the games I've joined have a good 0.5<1 second or so of lag before my character actually picks up a weapon. It really sucks when you're shooting a guy at point blank with a shotgun and they STILL manage to kill you first (or you both die at the same time, even though you clearly shot first).

There have been a handful of decent games, though. But they're usually with other Aussies, and they're rare.

Add me

My PSN is dizzan

I have barred myself from playing any more of the Beta but as soon as the full game is out I'll be powering through SP then getting into MP.

Im in Sydney

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GT reviews have always had inconsistent scores and odd complaints about games. I think they actually mentioned enemy AI as one of the weak points of the first Uncharted and most other reviews praised it. Still, it is another great score for the game.

RoboPlato said:
GT reviews have always had inconsistent scores and odd complaints about games. I think they actually mentioned enemy AI as one of the weak points of the first Uncharted and most other reviews praised it. Still, it is another great score for the game.

Not to sound petty but it shouldn't affect the meta so who gives.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'll add both of you, Yoboman and Dizzan, when I get home. :)

dfyb

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Without going into a bitching thing about a 9.3 or even Gametrailers, but it does seem like certain games get singled out for a lack of originality, despite that being the norm with most games in popular genres, high profile or not. KZ2 got ripped on for it, and that is despite actually doing more with the first person perspective than the average shooter. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting original ideas, but it doesn't seem very consistent, does it? It's almost as if some titles fall prey to some imaginary standard.
so you've finally put on your tin foil hat, eh?

DevelopmentArrested said:
this is my most anticipated game in years but i still cant fathom how any rational human being can get worked up over a 9.3 score. some need to sack up.
You just don't understand. Some people need this game to be God essentially. They need it so badly that, well, I don't know.

Evolved1

dfyb said:

Don't think it takes a tinfoil hat to recognize there's a lack of consistent standards coupled with some group think mentality at work in the review scene.

<---- does not give two fucks about reviews and wouldn't care if they were never mentioned on GAF

LaneDS

Felix Lighter said:
Do they even mention MW2 in the review? Why are we even talking about it?

They do mention that the booster idea is basically lifted from COD4, which is mostly true. And there was a comment about Co-op Arena being a take on Gears Horde mode, which I assume is pretty similar (never played Gears 2).

dfyb said:

No tin foil necessary, it's just a matter of imaginary standards and it's unfortunately nothing new, or uncommon. It seems to happen in waves; one month games in general can seem to do no wrong, the next they are ripped apart because of a lack of original ideas. And then a few months later, a wholly unoriginal game gets a pass. Not sure why, but it's interesting to observe. I guess it's human nature.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Yoboman said:
I think it's a bit of a hard knock to say it's unoriginal when there is no other game like Uncharted out there. And you know the MW2 review won't talk about originality

So true. The review kept knocking the game for originality but show me a game that does everything uncharted 2 does. Oh well what can we expect, I just don't see how design can be rated so low, I have to play this game to find out.

Kittonwy said:
MW2 can kiss my ass.
Indifferent2.gif
I played crapload of COD4 and I couldnt agree more!!!! :) I just preordered Uncharted 2 on Amazon and cat wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

LaneDS said:
They do mention that the booster idea is basically lifted from COD4, which is mostly true. And there was a comment about Co-op Arena being a take on Gears Horde mode, which I assume is pretty similar (never played Gears 2).
No, the idea has been done waaaay before CoD4 and Gears 2.

Yoboman

AltogetherAndrews said:
No tin foil necessary, it's just a matter of imaginary standards and it's unfortunately nothing new, or uncommon. It seems to happen in waves; one month games in general can seem to do no wrong, the next they are ripped apart because of a lack of original ideas. And then a few months later, a wholly unoriginal game gets a pass. Not sure why, but it's interesting to observe. I guess it's human nature.
You're right, some games are allowed to get away with it, some aren't. Some are just pegged as unoriginal no matter how much they do. How it's chosen I have no idea.

Example: GTA4 has features REMOVED compared to previous ventures, and it's exclaimed as "streamlined" rather than dumbed down as most franchises would get positioned as.

Evolved1

The-Warning said:
Nobody is complaining about the 9.3. People are just discussing the "unoriginal" comments. (I didn't watch the review so I don't care really)

Imo... for what it's worth... sometimes just doing something way fucking better than everyone else is pretty original.

DevelopmentArrested said:
this is my most anticipated game in years but i still cant fathom how any rational human being can get worked up over a 9.3 score. some need to sack up.

Are people really getting that worked up over it?

Evolved1

TheExecutive said:

In this particular case, not really... but this forum has a history of epic tears -- weeping and gnashing of teeth -- when a high profile game doesn't score a HotSex/10

recklessmind said:
Imo... for what it's worth... sometimes just doing something way fucking better than everyone else is pretty original.

Yep. And to some extent, complaining about a lack of originality seems rather conceited to me. As if the critic somehow knows that something new would be preferable to the excellent execution of common concepts.

But then I have something against critics in general, so I'm probably just milking the opportunity to critique the critic.

TheExecutive said:

I'm sure someone will soon enough. I'd say "no one is crying over the score," but usually when I do that, some bastard has a meltdown three or four posts later.

LaneDS

Shining Sunshine said:
No, the idea has been done waaaay before CoD4 and Gears 2.

I think COD4 was the game that really popularized not only ranking up, but ranking up with tangible benefits. What other online shooters did it before COD4? Just curious.

According to the Behind the Scenes videos, the character models (or at least Drake's) has 80,000 polygons. I thought MGS4 had awesome models and they were in the 20-30,000 range.

Naughty GODS indeed.

neojubei

TheExecutive said:

I think people are worked up over the review itself than anything else. Some games get by being unoriginal and some do not, weird standard there for gametrailers.

LaneDS said:

Oh well. I just hate when a stupid comment made by a developer or reviewer ends up turning fans of one game against fans of another.

I'm sure I'm going to love Uncharted 2, I actual just paused the original Uncharted to type this post. I'm also most likely going to love MW2 and I'd rather not deal with the bickering that comes when 2 completely unrelated games are pitted against each other for no real reason.

Kittonwy said:
I hate the fucking disingeneous knock on design originality when no other game has even tried successfully combining cover-based gunplay and platforming, it's like they're just setting things up so they can hand GOTY to MW2, it's pure bullshit.
Indifferent2.gif

lol i thought that right after it was finished.

neojubei

recklessmind said:
In this particular case, not really... but this forum has a history of epic tears -- weeping and gnashing of teeth -- when a high profile game doesn't score a HotSex/10

Don't forget mega trolling for the haters.

Manus

StrikerObi said:
Quoting myself because I think everybody missed this. It was the last post on the last page, which always gets missed.

Wow, quoting this. Thank you so much! I was going to get just the Sony mic, but man you saved me some money.

Evolved1

iamcool388 said:
According to the Behind the Scenes videos, the character models (or at least Drake's) has 80,000 polygons. I thought MGS4 had awesome models and they were in the 20-30,000 range.

Naughty GODS indeed.

I wonder if the models in mp are much different than those in sp... it seems like pretty much all the mp models are really high quality (Drake is not better modeled than the mercs, for example) and with everything going on and that animation... it's impressive as hell.

Chloe's hair and animation still friggin makes my jaw drop. It's so good.

Some more interesting information from the Behind the Scenes videos:

1. They are pushing almost 1.2 million polygons in every frame.
2. The characters have multiple blended animations, and can have anywhere from 25-30 animations affecting them at a single point of time. (Is any other game doing something similar to this?)
3. First Uncharted had 150 objects on screen. Uncharted 2 can show 500 objects in a couple of milliseconds.

neojubei said:
I think people are worked up over the review itself than anything else. Some games get by being unoriginal and some do not, weird standard there for gametrailers.

Yeah that meme kinda needs to be dropped

neojubei said:

It reminds of the review for the first Uncharted. The reviewer criticized the tps cover system by saying "that it wasn't exactly new or original" (paraphrased) and mentioned Gears, which annoyed me (a little) because they don't say the same thing about first-person shooters. TPS with cover is relatively newer game mechanic that isn't played out yet.

It will be interesting to see if reviewers make "unoriginal" comments about MW2. Btw, I don't see anyone getting particularly worked up.

dralla

LaneDS said:
I think COD4 was the game that really popularized not only ranking up, but ranking up with tangible benefits. What other online shooters did it before COD4? Just curious.

Battlefield 2.

still the best game in the series also.

Evolved1

iamcool388 said:
Some more interesting information from the Behind the Scenes videos:

1. They are pushing almost 1.2 million polygons in every frame.
2. The characters have multiple blended animations, and can have anywhere from 25-30 animations affecting them at a single point of time. (Is any other game doing something similar to this?)
3. First Uncharted had 150 objects on screen. Uncharted 2 can show 500 objects in a couple of milliseconds.

Also: They really like the word awesome, but do not like the word hierarchy (at least in practice). Everyone there works on the game... minimal bureaucratic bullshit.

Ploid 3.0

Dax01 said:
You just don't understand. Some people need this game to be God essentially. They need it so badly that, well, I don't know.

I thought people was more discussing the originality knock than anything. GT seemed to have a problem with it not being original, or rather using bits and pieces of gameplay elements from a group of other games and mixing it all together. The thing is, I doubt they just blindly grabbed these different elements, and threw them together to make uncharted.

It's the mix that make uncharted, not the different parts. Like in that movie Flash of Genius, sure he didn't invent the parts that were used for that windshield wiper, but it's the mix that made his better and more advanced. Like the words used in a book, it's the mix of words that create the book.

recklessmind said:
Also: They really like the word awesome, but do not like the word hierarchy (at least in practice). Everyone there works on the game... minimal bureaucratic bullshit.

Which is a good thing. I like that everyone can work on everything... I can be a modeler and still give my ideas about the story to the people writing the script or whatever. Its a good environment to work in.

I also think that certain words become the go-to words for certain games or for certain companies. Gears 2 had bigger, badder and more badass. Uncharted 2 has 'active cinematic experience,' and I think whenever someone at Naughty Dog thinks of an idea, the immediate words in their head is "Will it make the game AWESOME?" If it will, then its in.

Which is awesome. :lol

Yeef

x0oh6r.jpg

2a7g7c3.jpg

2d91cgn.jpg

2n69i05.jpg

e99dzr.jpg

1zr2phi.jpg

Don't mess with the hamburglar.

Looking at other people's screens I think I probably have my brightness set lower than it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom