• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepbrown

The average is hanging at 97.3 at the mo...so it can go as low as 96.6 and still have a score average of 97 :)

With over 50 reviews, the score average is 96 (including a 7 and about five 8's). So there's nothing to worry about.

El-Suave

GT had the same bs argument about the "value" of a gaming experience in their UC1 review as well. You don't hear it for two years and then they open that drawer again for the UC2 review (though this time they don't accuse the game of not being worth $60). If they had the same standards about length and originality for all their reviews it would be fine, but they only seem to have these criteria so explicitly for Uncharted games.

I'm already looking forward to GT's Heavy Rain review. Alan Wake and God of War 3 also better beef up if the same guy is reviewing them.

magus

So funny to see the fanboys vote down the user score of the gametrailers video. It is at 8.8 now.

Nevermind. Back at 9. Wow already 1500 votes :lol .

Ploid 3.0

I was minded to rate it down because it had spoilers in it. I'm always too lazy to rate after I play the game. Makes me think the rating is for the review though. Rate him low because of the spoilers.

DigiMish

I suspected Nate's buddy would turn on him, but I would have rather found that out in game than have GT spoil it for me

Xenomorph

Banned
Gametrailers video totally spoiled a ton of stuff for me. :/

In good news though, I've taken quite a liking to the multiplayer beta. It has tons of good gameplay and is really fun, but I've noticed a few things that bother me:

1. No advancement in rounds, you have to search for another game and more players.
2. No specific type of mode. You can't just choose "Team Deathmatch Standard" you have to vote on seemingly random modes.
3. Lack of weapons. It's got some cool ones, but it's limited to 2 assault rifles that you can get right away, while you have to hunt for the other guns which are nothing really that special.
4. No joining into a already started game. Once someone leaves your left to pick up the lack.

RefigeKru

Banned
See, I didn't say it after I had watched the review but I did think some of the complaints were out of place.

Most notable saying the game isn't an open world game, but to look at the glass half full it allows ND to sculpt the experience. That's just... Weird.

That and continually harping on the game for lacking originality, which based on the first Uncharted + the beta, I can't really agree with.

Spoilers everywhere too, I watched it at like 4am before going to sleep so I can barely remember them, but I think they would have been quite bad for most people.

Darkpen

Banned
RefigeKru said:
See, I didn't say it after I had watched the review but I did think some of the complaints were out of place.

Most notable saying the game isn't an open world game, but to look at the glass half full it allows ND to sculpt the experience. That's just... Weird.

That and continually harping on the game for lacking originality, which based on the first Uncharted + the beta, I can't really agree with.

Spoilers everywhere too, I watched it at like 4am before going to sleep so I can barely remember them, but I think they would have been quite bad for most people.
Seriously, I want some names behind these god damned reviews. Its always the same guy narrating each video, but you know that they're reviews by different people at GT.com. I want some god damned names.

Its like, sometimes GT video reviews are great, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and sometimes they're terrible, and because its not like there's a journalist's name attached, you can never tell D:

Kittonwy

Banned
YoungHav said:
packing in only 8 multiplayer maps is hardly balanced.

Having 8 multiplayer maps and being balanced are two separate unrelated issues, the maps themselves are very balanced and well-designed. You might think there are too few at release but I disagree, and now after the DLC there are plenty of different maps to play on. You might not like the state of the game when it was first shipped but the game currently is one of the best mp experiences on the PS3.

shinshero

magus said:
So funny to see the fanboys vote down the user score of the gametrailers video. It is at 8.8 now.

Nevermind. Back at 9. Wow already 1500 votes :lol .

Haven't watched the GT review yet. But the "no originality" comment was not really warranted in this case. I'm not saying it is an original game (because I haven't played the whole thing) BUT 90% of retail games out there are not original and they are not called out for it.

That said, my comment is only really applicable if what people are saying about the review is true!

That said, GT gave it a good review score and I guess they had to dock it down for something.

So yeah, that is my two cents.

Kittonwy

Banned
Firestorm said:
Seriously. Uncharted 2 is proving to have the worst fanbase on GAF. Maybe it's because I didn't give a shit about Killzone 2 and was staying 100% the fuck out of MGS4 threads for fear of spoilers. Have you people always been this way or is there something in Uncharted that brings out more of the crazy?

Stop posting BS like this, seriously. Most people here are responding to the actual criticisms in the review, you might disagree but attacking the entire fanbase is pretty lame.
Indifferent2.gif

jax (old)

Banned
Well. I justed to post this. I just played 1 game of MP and then I couldn't connect again and that's a bit annoying. Hopefully when the final code is up (retail - which I will buy), I hope it becomes stable. Had a lot of fun in my last game, winning team + most number of kills ... :D still, I really would like the SP campaign to be a lot of fun though.

... sigh the wait for the retail :(

sadaiyappan

Jax said:
Well. I justed to post this. I just played 1 game of MP and then I couldn't connect again and that's a bit annoying. Hopefully when the final code is up (retail - which I will buy), I hope it becomes stable. Had a lot of fun in my last game, winning team + most number of kills ... :D still, I really would like the SP campaign to be a lot of fun though.

... sigh the wait for the retail :(

That happens to me too. But I find if you go back one screen then go back to the find match screen it connects very quickly.

jax (old)

Banned
Sadaiyappan said:
That happens to me too. But I find if you go back one screen then go back to the find match screen it connects very quickly.

tried that multiple times, gave up from getting annoyed with it just not happening. I don't know what is up but its not good at all right now.

anyone know if the stats will carry over to retail?

Loudninja

Jax said:
tried that multiple times, gave up from getting annoyed with it just not happening. I don't know what is up but its not good at all right now.

Of course not man. :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Jax said:

They won't, everything will be wiped. I guess they want everyone to start on level ground once the game is released, which I think is fair (even though everyone has the chance to level up a good bit with the demo). It doesn't really bother me, I'll enjoy leveling up again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That stealth section has looked absolutely retarded in both video reviews I have watched. Someone who has played the game, please tell me otherwise.

rhino4evr

grif1020 said:
That stealth section has looked absolutely retarded in both video reviews I have watched. Someone who has played the game, please tell me otherwise.

im pretty sure in all the written reviews ive read the stealth section is considered a positive.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
rhino4evr said:
im pretty sure in all the written reviews ive read the stealth section is considered a positive.

Haha, did you not see the Gametrailer review? I'm pretty sure they weren't showing it in a positive light.

Talon

I will say that it seems GTrailers reviews commonly harp on the originality aspect of a game. I'm pretty certain there was a line in the Halo 3 review back in the day that was practically just "it's Halo. Tweaked."

Ploid 3.0 said:
I thought people was more discussing the originality knock than anything. GT seemed to have a problem with it not being original, or rather using bits and pieces of gameplay elements from a group of other games and mixing it all together. The thing is, I doubt they just blindly grabbed these different elements, and threw them together to make uncharted.

It's the mix that make uncharted, not the different parts. Like in that movie Flash of Genius, sure he didn't invent the parts that were used for that windshield wiper, but it's the mix that made his better and more advanced. Like the words used in a book, it's the mix of words that create the book.
I personally don't give a shit about reviews. I know what I want to play, or what looks interesting to me. The only time I'll look at reviews is if I'm really unsure about a certain game.

rhino4evr

grif1020 said:
Haha, did you not see the Gametrailer review? I'm pretty sure they weren't showing it in a positive light.

no, i dont really care to watch the game before I play it.

but like I said I remember reading in multiple reviews that the stealth section was a lot of fun.

but whatever, play it and judge for yourself.

mujun

deepbrown said:
The average is hanging at 97.3 at the mo...so it can go as low as 96.6 and still have a score average of 97 :)

With over 50 reviews, the score average is 96 (including a 7 and about five 8's). So there's nothing to worry about.

I can't fathom how people muster the effort to care this much about something so trivial.

I wake up and check the thread and the god damned Game Trailers review is still the topic and it actually expanded into some conspiracy theory bullshit.

This post nails the ACTUAL situation:
Yoboman said:
Ohh come on, Uncharted2 is hovering on 97% at Metacritic after almost thirty reviews. It stands to be one of the highest rated games of all time. You guys shouldn't be bitching about the score

Oh and Halo 3 did provide some fantastic changes. Some of the very features that UC2 now uses like photo mode and the online setup.

EDIT: And I didn't mention the number of reviews that have called it one of the best games ever made. Can we stop looking at just the negatives?

I don't get the point of harping on a comment made during a single 93/100 review when there are countless other reviewers gushing over this game. It's fucking dumb.

methane47 said:
^^^Dayam... how did you get those shots?

The first is Elena on a wall in ice cave that has a pillar with a flame on top. I tweaked the lighting and effects and put the camera IN the fire. Looks very stylized.

The others are the characters reaching up and grabbing at nothing while hanging on a cliff. I maxed the fog and tweaked the lighting to give that ethereal effect.

shinshero

Felix Lighter said:
I wake up and check the thread and the god damned Game Trailers review is still the topic and it actually expanded into some conspiracy theory bullshit.

This post nails the ACTUAL situation:

I don't get the point of harping on a comment made during a single 93/100 review when there are countless other reviewers gushing over this game. It's fucking dumb.

Can somebody confirm how many maps multiplayer will have.

LaneDS

Ballistictiger said:
Talking about it does more good then harping on the people who is already irritated on reviews, which in turn will get pretty ugly.

Any Sully fans here?

Who is this Sully you speak of?

mujun

DMPrince said:
i couldn't sleep last night knowing that uncharted 2 could go below 96%. TOUGH, man.

Playing and enjoying the shit out of a game just isn't enough is it. I love it when they totally take over my life and I spend every minute thinking about them.

I need to go to bed, it's past my bed time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
RefigeKru said:

Yeah I just listened to the review and that just doesn't make any sense at all.

"Uncharted 2 is built on a clearly defined path. There's no free roaming, and no choice as to which missions you tackle when. Looking at the glass half full, there's also no backtracking or confusion on where to go"

What did they expect? A hub world?

GT has the worst reviews in general. I hate how they have a checklist of stuff that needs to be in a game before they're satisfied, like the required inclusion of an mp mode before you get your money's worth.

shinshero said:
Can somebody confirm how many maps multiplayer will have.
7. It's in the OP. It's confirmed in videos. It's a good number. Don't see why people are bitching. Most multipayer games launch with somewhere around there.

Most multiplayer games also don't have an exstensive co-op experience, and cinema mode too though.

So I guess I can see why people bitch. A real lack of content.

FIX THIS SHIT ND!!!!

Edit: And I forgot they already confirmed they are working on DLC. FUCK YOU ND FUCK YOU.

We want you to support the game better!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
complaining about a game being too linear is probably one of the laziest criticisms a reviewer can use, I reckon.

But then all of my favourite games (RE4, Half-Life 2, Grim Fandango) are very linear affairs

shinshero

KilgoreTrout said:
7. It's in the OP. It's confirmed in videos. It's a good number. Don't see why people are bitching. Most multipayer games launch with somewhere around there.

Most multiplayer games also don't have an exstensive co-op experience, and cinema mode too though.

So I guess I can see why people bitch. A real lack of content.

FIX THIS SHIT ND!!!!

Um...ok?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Rez said:
complaining about a game being too linear is probably one of the laziest criticisms a reviewer can use, I reckon.

But then all of my favourite games (RE4, Half-Life 2, Grim Fandango) are very linear affairs

QFT.

Not everybody wants every game to be GTA or fallout. I never get the complaints about linearity. Non linearity dilutes the experience. Linearity has an important place in the gaming world as well. And if you want non linear, play the goddam multiplayer.

-viper-

Banned
Rez said:

Who gave that review?

Linear games always beat the crap out of non linear games. They are so much more exciting and cinematic to play. All the 'best games' of this gen are linear.

Kittonwy

Banned
Darunia said:
Yeah I just listened to the review and that just doesn't make any sense at all.

"Uncharted 2 is built on a clearly defined path. There's no free roaming, and no choice as to which missions you tackle when. Looking at the glass half full, there's also no backtracking or confusion on where to go"

What did they expect? A hub world?

GT has the worst reviews in general. I hate how they have a checklist of stuff that needs to be in a game before they're satisfied, like the required inclusion of an mp mode before you get your money's worth.

GT knew going in that this is a linear, non-mission-based game, yet they're basically complaining about the lack of missions and linearity, it's just strange. It's kind of like the game basically hitting all its marks and addressing all the concerns from the original, and then the GT reviewer decided to move the goal posts. >:|

Kittonwy said:
GT knew going in that this is a linear, non-mission-based game, yet they're basically complaining about the lack of missions and linearity, it's just strange. It's kind of like the game basically hitting all its marks and addressing all the concerns from the original, and then the GT reviewer decided to move the goal posts. >:|

They not only moved the goal posts, they made new one's out of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom