• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
All the gun fights and the animated way that enemies show their injuries and reaction to being shot makes it pretty violent. Much more so than the enemies that don't react to bullets hitting them until they fall over because they ran out of hitpoints in other shooters.

Goldeneye came out at a time when elaborate death animations weren't common and it also go a T rating. And that's because the way a character dies doesn't really matter. Blood and gore is much more important. And Uncharted doesn't have any gore and the blood really isn't that realistic.

Grooski

Banned
My media blackout is killing me. This was always going to be my most wanted game. After the E3 blowout I promised I'd watch nothing until the game releases. I've passed over gameplay vids, trailers, reviews both print and video, gave up my beta code and promised myself I would never be Killzone2'd again.

Its damn near fucking killing me.

10 days.

squinters

astigmatic
Grooski said:
My media blackout is killing me. This was always going to be my most wanted game. After the E3 blowout I promised I'd watch nothing until the game releases. I've passed over gameplay vids, trailers, reviews both print and video, gave up my beta code and promised myself I would never be Killzone2'd again.

10 days.
Stay strong my good man, it will all pay off soon.

I myself have been on a media blockout for the past month and a half. I haven't done this since Mario Galaxy and all the video reviews are starting to eat at me. But, ONLY 10 DAYS!

Oh yes i think my media blackout will help me too. I have seen some screenshots but no reviews or gameplay videos, did the same thing for the first uncharted and think that was one of the main reasons i loved it so much.

SamBishop

Banned
Grooski said:

10 days.

The first 5 minutes alone will redeem your patience, I promise.

Ydahs

Grooski said:

10 days.
I think this is why I enjoyed Uncharted 1 so much. I basically knew nothing about it since I bought a PS3 in 2008, except that many PS3 fans held it close to their hearts. When I actually played it, I was blown away.

I've seen like only one gameplay video of U2, though I've played the beta. Still, I won't be able to play Uncharted 2 until mid-January :(

Zzoram said:
All the gun fights and the animated way that enemies show their injuries and reaction to being shot makes it pretty violent. Much more so than the enemies that don't react to bullets hitting them until they fall over because they ran out of hitpoints in other shooters.
Sponges like Gears 2 and COD4... I'll take Uncharted 2's animated reaction any day. More games need to do the same in my opinion, like Killzone 2.

YoungHav

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
How many maps TF2 had? I think the maps are made very well. Well enough to have good strategies and not feel old. They have good elevation, good counter approaches, and good places to hang for the stylish cover hang shots. The maps are very balanced from what I can tell. Just looking at the map dev walkthroughs show that they put a lot of thought into them. No spot seem too safe, all spots has alternate ways to approach it.
Still should've had more maps out the gate. Cod4-5, MW2, Unreal Tourney 3 all have double or more maps out the box.

LaneDS

YoungHav said:
Still should've had more maps out the gate. Cod4-5, MW2, Unreal Tourney 3 all have double or more maps out the box.

Unreal Tournament 3 is a multiplayer game only. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I've only played COD4's multiplayer for a few hours (both on PC and PS3) but I've seen others, in this thread, complain about it having a few great maps and a lot of ones not worth playing, so it might simply boil down to quantity versus quality. Granted, the other three maps in Uncharted 2 might be trash, but I'd be very surprised if that turns out to be the case.

Lastly COD is an established series where people have come to expect multiplayer in every iteration. This is Naughty Dog's first online multiplayer title ever. I'm sure if the game is successful as a multiplayer title we'll see not only lots of DLC, but also a bigger, badder multiplayer component in Uncharted 3.

YoungHav said:
What? I don't remember COD having 14 maps. Are you smoking?

EDIT:
Okay, it had 16. But it only had like 4 or 5 good maps.

I would rather have 7 well-balanced, thought-out maps than 4-5 good ones with 9 crap ones.

eshwaaz

Felix Lighter said:
I just noticed this comment on Brad Shoemaker's Giant Bomb Profile:

I'm not sure if he's the one reviewing it or not though.

For selfish reasons, I'm actually hoping that Ryan will review it. Nothing against Brad; it's just that Ryan's Uncharted 1 review/rating from his Gamespot days was the one I agreed with most. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but Ryan's frustrations/issues with the game were the same as mine.

methane47

LaneDS said:
Unreal Tournament 3 is a multiplayer game only. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I've only played COD4's multiplayer for a few hours (both on PC and PS3) but I've seen others, in this thread, complain about it having a few great maps and a lot of ones not worth playing, so it might simply boil down to quantity versus quality. Granted, the other three maps in Uncharted 2 might be trash, but I'd be very surprised if that turns out to be the case.

Lastly COD is an established series where people have come to expect multiplayer in every iteration. This is Naughty Dog's first online multiplayer title ever. I'm sure if the game is successful as a multiplayer title we'll see not only lots of DLC, but also a bigger, badder multiplayer component in Uncharted 3.

Mannn COD4 I played a good 10-15 hours worth of MP i think.. and I dont think I played more than 4 maps.....

Only the construction site map... then the missle silo site... and... the urban site.. and I think one more...

I was wondering the entire time "is this alll the maps"

eshwaaz said:
For selfish reasons, I'm actually hoping that Ryan will review it. Nothing against Brad; it's just that Ryan's Uncharted 1 review/rating from his Gamespot days was the one I agreed with most. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but Ryan's frustrations/issues with the game were the same as mine.

I just read that and you're right. He had the same issues I had with the game but it seems that he may have had a bit more frustration with the gun play than I did.

It would be nice to see him review the game again so I could get a sense of what was improved and what issues remain to be issues.

Vinny always struck me as the biggest Uncharted fan at Giantbomb, I remember him saying something about how playing Prince of Persia was making him really look forward to Uncharted 2 because of his voice actor but looks like Brad might be doing it.

shinshero

KilgoreTrout said:
Sorry, I know you weren't bitching. I've seen people complaining about "only seven?!" though.

Shit drives me insane.

I see.

To be honest, I think most console games lack multiplayer maps on initial release.

That said, I'm buying this more for the singleplayer. I absolutely loved Uncharted 1.

OP UPDATE:

- Edited MP section (added Survival to co-op, other info to competitive, spoiler tagged the maps)
- Changed temperamental link for Alternative Box Art (should be more stable now)
- More wallpapers today (maybe a new box art too
Think Indy
)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
SamBishop said:
It has an ending. As in, it's more than just a pan into the fading sunset. It's meaty, it's emotional (depending on how into the characters you are) and it's infinitely more satisfying than the first game. It's good.

That sounds unbelievable. My hype is just through the roof right now... can't wait!:D

KilgoreTrout said:
OP UPDATE:

- Edited MP section (added Survival to co-op, other info to competitive, spoiler tagged the maps)
- Changed temperamental link for Alternative Box Art (should be more stable now)
- More wallpapers today

I don't think I mentioned it before; Great work on the OP. It's definitely one of the best Official Threads I've seen since I've been here. Lots of substance.

A 1900 x 1200 wallpaper would be amazing.

bounchfx

KilgoreTrout said:
I would rather have 7 well-balanced, thought-out maps than 4-5 good ones with 9 crap ones.

I agree, that's what I love about TF2, they're all awesome outside of 2Fort, and even that serves it's purpose..

however just because games ship with a low number of maps does not mean that they are all good. hell, there might only be 2-3 worth playing but since the numbers so low to begin with you gotta make dude.

I wasn't really looking forward to uncharted's MP after playing the first beta.. but after playing this updated one that they released as a 'beta' I'm really interested in it now.. reminds me a lot of Socom 1.

Banned
I would love it if Sony would implement a system to migrate game saves from one console to another. Maybe have your saves sync to a server or something. I switched to a slim and all my saves are on the other ps3 which I gave to my sister. I would love to clear uncharted 1 on crushing but don't wanna have to it on hard again first- it would take too long.

Felix Lighter said:
I don't think I mentioned it before; Great work on the OP. It's definitely one of the best Official Threads I've seen since I've been here. Lots of substance.

A 1900 x 1200 wallpaper would be amazing.

Thanks (thanks for everyone's compliments).

As for a 1900 x 1200 wallpaper, you got it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Grooski said:

10 days.

Same here. I had the original beta and I played that... after that end I cut myself off. The week it comes out is a good week for me so I have a ton to look forward to, just hard waiting for it to release.

Yoboman

00011000 said:
I would love it if Sony would implement a system to migrate game saves from one console to another. Maybe have your saves sync to a server or something. I switched to a slim and all my saves are on the other ps3 which I gave to my sister. I would love to clear uncharted 1 on crushing but don't wanna have to it on hard again first- it would take too long.
It's called a USB stick?

Grooski said:

10 days.

Same here. But I'm going to the Theater Event in Rosemont, IL of the 6th. Hoping it isn't filled with spoilers :D lol

SamBishop

Banned
Loudninja said:
Nice how are the treasures? are they harder to find?

I was actively looking, though not searching every little nook and cranny (I would backtrack, though, if I had a hunch something might be around a corner), and I found... 29/100 first time through. I'm gonna need a guide, definitely.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think when I get the game, I'm just going to play it through in one really long sitting. The wait is getting to be unbearable.

Loudninja

SamBishop said:
I was actively looking, though not searching every little nook and cranny (I would backtrack, though, if I had a hunch something might be around a corner), and I found... 29/100 first time through. I'm gonna need a guide, definitely.

Nice are there more visual cues this time or the same as Uncharted just a glow on the ground?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
A Week left??!!!

Fuck i gotta lay off Street Fighter 4 so i can finish Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, before Charted 2 is out, cuz i dont think im gonna touch other games as much after that.

Prezhulio

msdstc said:
Same here. I had the original beta and I played that... after that end I cut myself off. The week it comes out is a good week for me so I have a ton to look forward to, just hard waiting for it to release.

that's what i've been trying to do. but man it's invading podcasts i listen to. rebelfm held back on it but i was watching invisiblewalls (which i don't normally watch) and they started showing some footage i didn't want to see and i had to shut it off.

McLovin

I'm gonna try to get Demons soul and beat it before Uncharted 2 comes out.. I've been putting off buying other games so they won't distract me from Uncharted.

McLovin said:
I'm gonna try to get Demons soul and beat it before Uncharted 2 comes out.. I've been putting off buying other games so they won't distract me from Uncharted.

I'm not too sure you can beat Demon Soul's in 9 days, unless you are planning on playing it A FUCKLOAD. Its quite a long game.

McLovin

iamcool388 said:
I'm not too sure you can beat Demon Soul's in 9 days, unless you are planning on playing it A FUCKLOAD. Its quite a long game.
11s2teo.jpg

LaneDS

McLovin said:

Yeah, Demon's Souls will take a fair bit of commitment. I don't think it's as long (in terms of levels) as some people think, but unless you quickly master the game it'll require more than a week of dedication to it.

If Uncharted 2 wasn't coming out the week after I'd probably double dip though, game is damn amazing.

SamBishop said:
It has an ending. As in, it's more than just a pan into the fading sunset. It's meaty, it's emotional (depending on how into the characters you are) and it's infinitely more satisfying than the first game. It's good.
Wow, that totally got me even more excited. :D

wouwie

I haven't watched any footage since the E3 trailer (which, if i had known, i would have skipped aswell).

Can't wait to get this game. Loved the first one.

SamBishop

Banned
Loudninja said:
Nice are there more visual cues this time or the same as Uncharted just a glow on the ground?

Same as the last game, though you'll sometimes have to make use of your guns to get them loose.

Amir0x

Banned
Loudninja said:
I really never got the "platforming is easy" comments.

What's confusing about it? The platforming is easy. The first time I've ever played this game, on hard, only a few weeks into owning my PS3... I did not even once have confusion about where to go, and I did not die even once on the platforming.

I mean, that's about as easy as it can get, platforming-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom