• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
I watched the gametrailers review again and I've gotta ask, how? How are they doing half the shit I saw in-game? It just boggles the mind, I thought PS3 and X360 were supposed to be evenly powered, but the stuff U2 is doing is on another level of amazing. It's like sex for the eyes.

Zzoram

Shining Sunshine said:
You can climb back up? The event never triggers until you land in the water.

I read this online, and it's the only reason I beat that part.

When you get to the ledge to drop down, don't. Run as far backwards in the level as possible. You end up walking over a spot that is directly above that sewer area, and the game triggers the enemy spawn as if you dropped down. Then come back and pick them off from your high ground advantage. Be careful, 2 shotgun guys will spawn right where you're standing up there.

LaneDS

MercuryLS said:
I watched the gametrailers review again and I've gotta ask, how? How are they doing half the shit I saw in-game? It just boggles the mind, I thought PS3 and X360 were supposed to be evenly powered, but the stuff U2 is doing is on another level of amazing. It's like sex for the eyes.

While I agree with you, it's probably best not to go down the PS3/360 comparisons road. That never ends well.

And SamBishop, I am totally jealous you're getting to play through the game, again, right now.

Playing the demo, I always feel like I'm controlling action figures/miniatures as opposed to characters. I have no idea why this is, but it feels both cool and critically goofy.

Darkman M

MercuryLS said:

NaughtyDogs are just that damn good me thinks.

chris0701

mr_nothin said:
Speaking of which, I think Uncharted 2's method of taking pictures is complete trash. Makes the game look horrible. I dont think it's capturing it directly (from within the game). More like a XMB taking a screenshot.

I hate the way it looks, grab from the framebuffer plz.

The screenshot function isn't a bad capture.

Technically it comes very close to the professional capture device like Digital Foundary used.

eshwaaz

Zzoram said:
There are probably 6 or so encounters that I found extremely frustrating, and that was one of them. One was after the plane crash, when you drop into that clearing where the plane is in a tree. Another is I think level 13 or something, when you and Elena reach the outside part of the church in that big open area.

Those kinds of encounters were my biggest complaint with Uncharted, and crossed the line between challenging and frustrating. I hope the battles in Uncharted 2 feel more balanced.

Schrade

AltogetherAndrews said:
Playing the demo, I always feel like I'm controlling action figures/miniatures as opposed to characters. I have no idea why this is, but it feels both cool and critically goofy.
It's the camera blur special effects. That tilt-shift look, ya know?

kaskade

Since I'm broke right now and have no job I'm testing out Amazon's trade in service. With that and the eca discount i'll end up getting the game for only a few bucks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uncharted 2 cinema event tomorrow...I'm stoked to see the game running on a huge projector. And a potential chance to win the game tomorrow

Kittonwy

Banned
Yoboman said:
How'd you do it? Crushing kicked my ass

I finished crushing and I'm a cat, I mean come on, it's not that hard.
Indifferent2.gif

Is there a problem with NAT type 2 for this game?

I can't think of anything else on my side that can be causing me to crash anytime I host.

I have a 2 mbs download speed according to the PS3 internet test...

Replicant

The trick to finish Crushing on Uncharted 1:

1. Exploit every nook and cranny available, lure your enemies to come to you.
2. Do a lot of blind fire when enemies coming.
3. If you don't need to be in one specific area, RUN! Run outside to any place which will offer you better hiding place.

Ploid 3.0

KilgoreTrout said:
All right. 2 new box arts.

Here are small previews of each one so far:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2vamx4i.j

You can download them [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?jmckyiuwzjm"][B]here[/B][/URL].[/QUOTE]

I really wish I could get these. How do you guys print them? Go to a kinkos or something?

Ploid 3.0 said:
I really wish I could get these. How do you guys print them? Go to a kinkos or something?

That's what I did.

Took em on a USB drive, and took a game cover down with me to make sure they were the right size when they were printed out.

If you have a nice printer though, you can print them yourself.

Ploid 3.0

KilgoreTrout said:
That's what I did.

Did you make these box arts? I remember a gaffer that made superior to the original box arts a long long time ago. It's a shame that box arts aren't like these and more about catching the eye (understandably).

KilgoreTrout said:
Is there a problem with NAT type 2 for this game?

I can't think of anything else on my side that can be causing me to crash anytime I host.

I have a 2 mbs download speed according to the PS3 internet test...

same here but with the PS3 internet test it goes between 2 or 3 mbs.

never had any of these problems in the last beta.

LaneDS

Yeah, that was clearly spliced together from lots of different sources. And ending the commercial on the same shot it started with, pretty original!

But if it gets folks more amped up, well, more power to it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to power through this over the course of a weekend or two. It'll be a nice break from the monotony of exam-study (and I feel less guilty than I do when procrastinate by going out for a drink with some mates, which is always a plus).

SamBishop

Banned
LaneDS said:
And SamBishop, I am totally jealous you're getting to play through the game, again, right now.

Don't be, man. I'm taking this little early gift as a kind of responsibility to play help desk for when people get stuck. I'm doing a Crushing run for the review, sure, but there's no reason my early crack at things can't help out everyone else playing the game, right?

Yoboman

Kittonwy said:
I finished crushing and I'm a cat, I mean come on, it's not that hard.
Indifferent2.gif
Well I just started the other day, and I got to the first real conflict area which was the demo area. Man I'm getting owned :lol

It's tpp bad Arkham Asylum came the next day. And with UC2 and Demon's Souls so close, not sure when I'll have a chance to get back to Drake's Fortune

Yoboman said:
Well I just started the other day, and I got to the first real conflict area which was the demo area. Man I'm getting owned :lol

It's tpp bad Arkham Asylum came the next day. And with UC2 and Demon's Souls so close, not sure when I'll have a chance to get back to Drake's Fortune
I did crushing in 6 hours. >3>

I was actually amazed by my playtime.

LaneDS

SamBishop said:
Don't be, man. I'm taking this little early gift as a kind of responsibility to play help desk for when people get stuck. I'm doing a Crushing run for the review, sure, but there's no reason my early crack at things can't help out everyone else playing the game, right?

Hah, way to take one for the team.

In truth, I think it's awesome to see impressions from folks like you and JSnake early in this thread. If not for the awesome beta/demo we less privileged folk get to play, I might actually be jealous, but it's very awesome and helps pass the time until the 13th very well.

When I played Crushing I had so much fun in the Courtyard the first time. I killed five enemies with my five Sniper shots, took out the Grenadiers from long range with the pistol, and then just threw myself from pillar to pillar blindfiring the Shotgun at everyone who charged me. It was one of the few times on Crushing I actually used cover, most of the time it's better to stand behind a wall and just edge out a bit so you aren't exposing your whole body.

The sewer is definitely the worst bit because the pillars in that room don't act the way they should. They're circular pillars but they act square; you can only stick to cover on the 'sides', so you're always at the wrong angle. You should be able to stick to them and move all the way around them, but you can only turn Nate left or right. Actually taking cover in there is basically asking to be murdered.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AltogetherAndrews said:
Playing the demo, I always feel like I'm controlling action figures/miniatures as opposed to characters.
As opposed to what characters? I can't honestly think of a game that gave me better feeling of controlling a living character than first game did. Sure, the movements are all slightly exaggerated, and they are hand-animated using squash & stretch principles, but Drake moves so organically, and absolutely nowhere stiff like you'd expect animated action figure would. He moves a bit goofily as that's an intended part of his character, and enemies move and die in all kinds of goofy ways as that's part of old school pulpy look they are going for.

Zzoram said:
All the gun fights and the animated way that enemies show their injuries and reaction to being shot makes it pretty violent. Much more so than the enemies that don't react to bullets hitting them until they fall over because they ran out of hitpoints in other shooters.
I mentioned this somewhere earlier in this thread, but the way enemies react to being shot here is part of why the game needs no more than T rating. In real life, people don't make backflips before they die when being shot. This comical nature of enemy animations, both regular and death animations, makes it feel somewhat like you're playing a movie, if it makes sense. The enemy deaths seem more like acted, as in - they will just stand up and walk away when you move on to the next set piece kind of way.

Myr

Banned
Just saw the GT review. I'm absolutely blown away. Still not a big fan of the general art style, it looks a little 'goofy' at times, but those are the best graphics I have ever seen, on any platform.

Myr said:
Just saw the GT review. I'm absolutely blown away. Still not a big fan of the general art style, it looks a little 'goofy' at times, but those are the best graphics I have ever seen, on any platform.
Yeah, real life is goofy for sure.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't like the word "graphics". I think it's outlived it's usefulness. Kinda like how screenshots are insufficient to tell the whole story, visually.

Myr

Banned
Shining Sunshine said:
Yeah, real life is goofy for sure.

Everything is exaggerated, so it definitely does not look like 'real life'. I don't want to start a riot here, so I'll just leave it at that.

LaneDS

Ydahs said:
Is the single-player more visually pleasing than the multiplayer? If so, by how much?

People have said the single player campaign uses higher resolution textures (at least for the character models) than multiplayer. I'm sure there are other differences, and you'll get crazy set pieces on top of moving vehicles through non-looped environments.

I think it's going to have plenty of jaw-dropping visual moments.

zoukka

MercuryLS said:

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with ND:s expertise than PS3:s superior power.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ydahs said:
Is the single-player more visually pleasing than the multiplayer? If so, by how much?
from what I've seen, and I've only seen the odd screenshot and the E3 footage, it looks noticeably better.

Think: the difference between KZ2 single and multi-player. Or so I've heard, I never touched the online side of KZ2.

Myr

Banned
zoukka said:
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with ND:s expertise than PS3:s superior power.

Ironically, the more difficult development process of PS3 development has greatly benefited the gamer in this regard, as the tech research and resources spent on figuring out this machine places some of its games way ahead of the competition, even though the hardware is largely similar in terms of power.

I kinda get the feeling that developers don't try so hard with the 360, seeing as everyone says you can get 'good' results quickly. I'm sure we could technically see this game on Microsoft's console had they actually put in the manpower and talent behind it.

MercuryLS said:
Gears 2 did some comparable stuff in its SP campaign (and theirs allowed for co-op) and that was with UE3 in the way.

Naughty Dog is just that good, that's all.

flanker22

Banned
after watching the movies and reviews for this game it seemed like a great title. so i went to get the multiplayer demo and the whole experience just left a really bad taste.

the installing was outright ridiculous (probably on limited on the demo but still), the gameplay isnt that fun, questionable weapon balance, multiplayer play is like the standard geow but less refined, and controls/camera were too loose.

I really think many people will play though the single player campaign and after tinkering around in multiplayer for a couple weeks will go back to their usual online games.

madden1963

Neo Member
Myr said:
I kinda get the feeling that developers don't try so hard with the 360, seeing as everyone says you can get 'good' results quickly. I'm sure we could technically see this game on Microsoft's console had they actually put in the manpower and talent behind it.

Is this going to be the next thing that 360 people are going to say now..before it was.. ps3 to hard to make games look good.... But now since games are looking better.. it's become, 360 programers are to lazy, and games would look just as good on 360.. :lol

flanker22

Banned
madden1963 said:
Is this going to be the next thing that 360 people are going to say now..before it was.. ps3 to hard to make games look good.... But now since games look better.. it's become, 360 programers are to lazy, and games would look just as good on 360.. :lol

its somewhat true. ms doesnt really have many first party developers to devote all their efforts specifically for a console a game. bungie maybe but even they have moved away from ms. epic is using a pc-engine to push the 360 graphically. unlike ms sony has naughty dog which is a huge R&D asset to sony (as well as guerrilla games, team ico, PD).

also lazy is a poor word to describe game developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom