• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino4evr

Fender_Uk said:
so i thought the first uncharted was a tomb raider and gears of war rip off borefest, will i like this one?

I felt the same way, but I wasn't as negative about it as you are. I never thought it was boring, just not that original.

From what Ive read the gunplay is better, the platforming is more action packed, and the story/presentation is better then the first game. So there is a good chance you will enjoy this one a lot mroe.

Dragon

Banned
Fender_Uk said:
well it pretty much was, wasnt it

Are you asking or telling?

If you're asking why do you have such a negative outlook on it? If you're telling why are you doing it passive-aggressively?

*sniff sniff, i smell a ....

Senua

Gold Member
it came with my ps3, i played a few levels and it just felt like a tomb raider game with gears of war gameplay..story was a snoozefest too so i sold it and bought MGS4, good fucking times

Dude Abides said:
The Rebel FM guys, while praising the game, were complaining about the close-quarters gunplay. I think it may be a flaw inherent in the 3rd person perspective. Is there any 3rd person shooter that has good close-quarters gunplay? I can't think of any.

I've been playing the original and it is an issue. It's more apparent in Uncharted for 2 reasons, I'd say. First, the enemies do a lot of ducking and weaving, which at close quarters, can be difficult to compensate for. Secondly, there is no quick melee option to knock close enemies away. The melee in Uncharted is more appropriate when it's one on one or your sneaking up on someone but when there are other enemies firing at you, the combos take too much time.

Fender_Uk said:
it came with my ps3, i played a few levels and it just felt like a tomb raider game with gears of war gameplay..story was a snoozefest too so i sold it and bought MGS4, good fucking times

With this outlook I'm surprised you like any games.

Felix Lighter said:
I've been playing the original and it is an issue. It's more apparent in Uncharted for 2 reasons, I'd say. First, the enemies do a lot of ducking and weaving, which at close quarters, can be difficult to compensate for. Secondly, there is no quick melee option to knock close enemies away. The melee in Uncharted is more appropriate when it's one on one or your sneaking up on someone but when there are other enemies firing at you, the combos take too much time.

When playing crushing in the first one, the key was to absolutely do the hip shot to melee. drake slides under the dude and instantly knocks him out. Never had a problem with melee.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
When playing crushing in the first one, the key was to absolutely do the hip shot to melee. drake slides under the dude and instantly knocks him out. Never had a problem with melee.

I guess I wasn't aware of the hip shot to melee combo. I'm near the end of the game so I'll try that.

Senua

Gold Member
i mostly play racing sims (gtr, gt, forza, race, lfs) but i look the odd shooter, such as half life and the older cods for pc..uncharted just wasnt doing anything different and just felt like two games i already owned mixed together

beast786 said:
Dont feed him.
oh please..cant i dislike a game anymore?

Crisco

Banned
Fender_Uk said:
so i thought the first uncharted was a tomb raider and gears of war rip off borefest, will i like this one?

Yes, Head and Shoulders does 7 great things for my hair and scalp, it's for more than just dandruff!

xenorevlis said:
I didn't even realize he was in the team until after they had killed my team. At least I made it to the finals. Turns out, according to them, they had pegged our team as #1 threat and were paying special attention to my playstyle to defend against it. I think putting on a good-show with the spectator station was my undoing in the end! :lol

Ah well, at least our team (two of whom had never played the game) got second place, which mean a copy of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune signed by the team. So good!

6820_148107354165_503449165_2513690_7838589_n.jpg

I'll post pictures tomorrow, although my friends were using the camera more than I was. My time was spent more chatting it up with some of my old co-workers, like Sam Thompson, and trying to strategize with my team members.

congrats! Sorry I didn't get your last PM in time to meet up. I was on team Francis in the tournament, we got 4th place. I lucked(?) out each time and got stuck with the station that was broadcast on the big screen. Didn't stick around to see who won the psp go, had to catch bart, but had a lot of fun. Even my girlfriend had a great time.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Fender_Uk said:

Seeing how the game isn't out yet, hardly anyone here could answer that for you. The game is getting some very good reviews but then again you didn't like the first one because you think it was a gears of war borefest, which I disagree, you might not like the second one, my advice don't buy it.

beast786

neojubei said:
Seeing how the game isn't out yet, hardly anyone here could answer that for you. The game is getting some very good reviews but then again you didn't like the first one because you think it was a gears of war borefest, which I disagree, you might not like the second one, my advice don't buy it.

Did you check your PM. :D

Fender_Uk said:
oh please..cant i dislike a game anymore?

You totally can, but coming into a Uncharted 2 thread and calling the first one a shitfest is pushing your motives for even being in this thread. If you disliked the first one, why come into the sequel thread and post how the first one sucks.

beast786

gamerecks said:
You totally can, but coming into a Uncharted 2 thread and calling the first one a shitfest is pushing your motives for even being in this thread. If you disliked the first one, why come into the sequel thread and post how the first one sucks.

Especially when he said all he plays is SIM racers. And we know how much unique they are from each other.

Hence dont feed him.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Iphone and Ipod Touch owners rejoice, for here is the countdown web app for your perusal:

http://bit.ly/RQHOq

It looks like a simplified version of the widget countdown, there's no animated snow, but I did manage to squeeze in the text shadows and some bouncy animation when you tap on the chest, through CSS and Javascript. This animation however may not run very smoothly on regular 3G phone (it's fine on 3GS). There's also no real payoff animation when it counts down to 0, just a static picture. Once started, the app will run without you ever needing to reload the page, so as long as you keep the tab open in Safari it will be there with up to date time. This should be handy for Ipod owners as they don't have an always-on internet connection.

This is what it looks like right now, but after the release date it will switch to showing current date and time so you can use it as a clock while the device is on your desk, if you want to do so.

20uojza.jpg

Did I read something about this game reading your old Uncharted save file and giving you something for it?

I'll have to grab my old save off my big PS3 and put it on my Slim if that's the case. Grrr.

MNC

-x.Red.x- said:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LMFaO
I heard it before and I was WTF?
Yeah, it's just that facewise I prefer Elena. :D Nothing bad graphical wise :lol Chloe has a big forehead or so it seems.

LaneDS

Katana_Strikes said:
Did I read something about this game reading your old Uncharted save file and giving you something for it?

I'll have to grab my old save off my big PS3 and put it on my Slim if that's the case. Grrr.

I think you get starting cash if you have a completed UC save file on your system. Not positive though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
beast786 said:
Did you check your PM. :D

Yea, thanks again.

Lord Error said:
Iphone and Ipod Touch owners rejoice, for here is the countdown web app for your perusal:

http://bit.ly/RQHOq

It looks like a simplified version of the widget countdown, there's no animated snow, but I did manage to squeeze in the text shadows and some bouncy animation when you tap on the chest, through CSS and Javascript. This animation however may not run very smoothly on regular 3G phone (it's fine on 3GS). There's also no real payoff animation when it counts down to 0, just a static picture. Once started, the app will run without you ever needing to reload the page, so as long as you keep the tab open in Safari it will be there with up to date time. This should be handy for Ipod owners as they don't have an always-on internet connection.

This is what it looks like right now, but after the release date it will switch to showing current date and time so you can use it as a clock while the device is on your desk, if you want to do so.

20uojza.jpg

WOW that's awesome.

LaneDS

templeusox said:
100K if you beat UC1, 20K for just having a save file.

Ah cool. Is there a single player store separate from the multiplayer store? Can't wait to dig in with this game. Hoping there's some cool Behind the Scenes features like the first game had too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Awesome, you can flip through the pages of Nathan's journal, Shenmue style.

m7s0eu.jpg

Victor GODDAMN Sullivan :lol

templeusox said:
100K if you beat UC1, 20K for just having a save file.
Is that based on your trophies or an actual save file? I originally finished U1 on my 1st 60 gig so I no longer have that file, though I did Platinum the game.

Captain N

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Is that based on your trophies or an actual save file? I originally finished U1 on my 1st 60 gig so I no longer have that file, though I did Platinum the game.

based off of the save file.

I guess you could easily go on gamefaqs and download a save file wit 100%

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont think I got money for having Uncharted 1 completed. Do I have to do something to get my money?

Edit: nevermind, you have to make the game check for the save in the store and wallah, $100,000 added

Captain N

Wario64 said:
I dont think I got money for having Uncharted 1 completed. Do I have to do something to get my money?

they just said you could get it if it detects you beat it or have a save file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom