• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 is by far the pinnacle of the Uncharted Series

A rare innovative AAA sequel. Awesome story. Perfect pacing. Fucking epic setpieces. Best multiplayer. No tacked-on uneccessary mechanics. No virtue signalling BS. Just a fun, pure, gameplay focused adventure.

Amen boys. This was lit. A lightning in the bottle for Linear Cinematic adventures. The fucking GOLD Standard for ND along with TLOU.

One of the greatest games ever made & saddening that ND didn't bring these earlier adventures over to PC.

dd2oL78.jpg

Zuzu

I agree. I've completed Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4 & Lost Legacy. U2 is the pinnacle of the series and revolutionary in the way it placed the player in cinematic set pieces that felt like you were a part of a movie. It's hard for me to remember but I think I also like the writing of the characters and story in U2 over U3 & U4 as well.

Wouldn't mind a remake of the game honestly - one similar to The Last of Us Part 1 & 2.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah. 4 is way better. Like in another league.
I still love the trilogy for a different reason but 4 elevated the story, characters and gameplay.
I replay the trilogy every few years and 4 every year.

2 is just shooting corridor after shooting corridor. 4 got way more variety and better action.
But 2 and 3 still go this energy. It's less serious

StueyDuck

I find it weird that people have to pick one or else type thing when it comes to talking about the franchise.

They are all brilliant to me i dont think any one game in particular trumps the rest, they each have their special moments, they each have parts that could improve, I'm burnt out on them however from having played them too many times at this point but they are pure comfort food.

Last edited:

Aenima

Uncharted 4 was the best for me.
Better and more fun melee combat, no bullshit supernatural enemies, no bullshit final bullet sponge boss, slower pace with more diverse gameplay so not so focused in being a murder simulator, wrapped up the character stories pretty nice. Uncharted 4 is also the 1st Uncharted that lets you stealth an entire section without killing anyone to move to the next section, while in Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 you was forced to kill everyone in the section to be able to move to the next one.

Uncharted 2 was great for raising the bar by quite alot in the action adventure genre games.

Last edited:

Mownoc

The Uncharted Series was pretty consistent for me. I never felt the huge jump in quality to uncharted 2 most people do. 3 was the worst probably because I hate the djinn. But I can't say I think 2 is substantially better than the rest of the series.

They're all good games but they've always been a bit overhyped in my opinion. I think TLOU was a significant step up for naughty dog.

Last edited:

Roberts

The only one I could label as great, the first was good and the third one was very good. Didn't like 4 all that much.

Uncharted 2 is the only game I've pre ordered ever.

One of the reason it's probably my fav in the series is that it has more gameplay than the others, including bit more demanding parts like the "Monastery" arena with minigun heavies on both floors.

Majormaxxx

uc1 is very harsh to come back to.
if it came out today, they would close the studio, it wouldn't sell a single copy and ND would be no more :p
I love it's vibe though. I have some nostalgia for it
BS. As much as I'd like ND to just go away and start over under a different name.

If remasters can sell, so can uc1.

It's a wonderful adventure story with pirates, treasure, cover shooting, climbing Ala prince of Persia, great banter, great vibrant graphics.

There was NOTHING like it. Tomb Raider games didn't have fun gunplay. Didn't have this level of graphics or writing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
BS. As much as I'd like ND to just go away and start over under a different name.

If remasters can sell, so can uc1.

It's a wonderful adventure story with pirates, treasure, cover shooting, climbing Ala prince of Persia, great banter, great vibrant graphics.

There was NOTHING like it. Tomb Raider games didn't have fun gunplay. Didn't have this level of graphics or writing.
it's almost just shooting though. You kill over 1000 enemies in it. You kill less enemies in each uncharted for this reason.
It is a direct competitor to gears of war1.
That's why I've said I like it because of jungle theme and characters. But all of that is 10x better in uc4.
When You replay uc1 now, there is barely any characterization. It's just bad shooting.
It's not a wonderful story. It's a shit story with likeable characters and then monsters. UC2 ramped the characters.

And what's bs? if studio comes out with game like UC1 nowadays, it gets closed. Look at Immortals of Aveum. It's an ok game. But maybe they would do way better for immortals 2,3 or 4? They will close that studio and we won'tknow.
ND was lucky enough that there was nothin else on ps3 and the game had great graphics at the time. And at the time, these simpler games were still selling.

Flutta

Banned
💯 agree. U2 is what put that series on the map so yes.

Also thought that U3 was fun tbh.

U2 > U3 > U4 > U1

Last edited:
No virtue signalling BS.
Strong female characters. Happy-go-lucky protagonist whose actions are painted in a negative light by those around him. Accurate representation of non-white culture. An extended (and beloved) sequence where your only companion is a person of color that doesn't speak English and whose dialog (Tibetan) is not translated.

Maybe the world just wasn't obsessed with it back then so you weren't overly sensitive to it. It's about as virtue signaling as the other games I've played in the series (haven't played the spinoff title yet).

Davesky

2 and 3 were both incredible cinematic experiences, but the most fun I ever had on an Uncharted game was crushing mode in Drakes Fortune.

4 has the best gameplay mechanics and combat encounters but the lowest lows and worst pacing which on average results it being the worst game.

2 is probably overall the best although I got a soft spot for the original.

DrFigs

It has the best story, but 4 is the superior game. it's when naughty dog figured out how to make the shooting fun imo.

Holammer

giphy.gif

To be fair, I haven't played #3 and it's supposed to be pretty good too.
Uncharted 2 improved upon the original in every way possible and the train scene is still a technology & design masterpiece. A damned shame they did not release the trilogy first on PC.

Duchess

I watched the movie last night.

It's very meh. It's not terrible, but it's far from great.

The girls looked nice, though.

Last edited:

Salz01

I loved uncharted 2. Still play it time to time. Wish they would make another one, and not just focus on TLOU.

Meh. The narrative of Uncharted 2 is pretty dimwitted like a bad Bond movie. Prefer the intrigue and pacing of the third. I also enjoy how many similarities Uncharted 3 has to Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Uncharted 4 is just... boring and insufferably overbearing with its messages. I was very disappointed when Uncharted franchise finally got a PC port and it was Legacy of Thieves garbage.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nah. 4 is way better. Like in another league.
I still love the trilogy for a different reason but 4 elevated the story, characters and gameplay.
I replay the trilogy every few years and 4 every year.

2 is just shooting corridor after shooting corridor. 4 got way more variety and better action.
But 2 and 3 still go this energy. It's less serious
You ain't wrong. 4 does have better gameplay, the combat arenas are way larger, layered, they have more options, stealth is more viable, the rope adds another dimension to the firefights...but there's one thing that puts 4 below 2 anyway; that godawful pacing.

4 is firmly into the era where Naughty Dog cares more about storytelling than fun, and this has been the case since TLOU 2013 where they can have sections that are over one hour long with absolutely nothing happening. Just walking around. Uncharted 4 is guilty of that, especially that mansion section that's like 45 minutes long and that is just climbing. 2 managed to strike a damn near perfect balance between story and action sequences and calmer sections don't get drawn out for over an hour to put you to sleep. While Naughty Dog's game design has certainly improved over the past 10 years, their approach has become more heavy-handed than ever and they love wrestling control away from the player and bombard them with cutscenes and dialogues. They want to make Hollywood movies, not games. The games are just a prop they use to tell their stories instead of the other way around.

I can't replay 4. Just the beginning forces you through that terribly boring part as kid Nathan, then the diving mission, then you must go through Nate's house in the present day, then another slog through the prison, and after like 90 minutes, they finally let you have some fun with the prison break. This is just...no. 2 isn't so poorly paced. Never mind the climbing parts of 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom