• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Loudninja said:
I am getting headshots just fine.

The fact that a person can still get headshots is not evidence that the aiming isn't worse than it was before. It's only evidence that the aiming isn't completely broken.

grendelrt

Put me down as having aiming issue as well. My friend who is not a big gamer but has played all the uncharted's commented on it this morning as well.

JaseMath

wrighty86 said:
uncharted 2 for me was as close to perfection a game can get. Its unfair to try and compare this new game to Among Thieves.

Im really glad that Naughty Dog haven't tried to match the 2nd game beat for beat. You can tell with the pacing that they want this game to stand on it own merit and we are gonna have to love it for what it is, a much slower story.

As for the game play, I've literally had no issues with the aiming (and I pay attention to stuff like that) but Ive had some animation issues with Young Drake.

Brilliant game for me so far.

Note to ND: Well done dogs
Yeah, why's that? It is the sequel after all...

Patapwn

BomberMouse said:
It's not just the controls, the game is just boring gameplay wise compared to U2. Gunplay is worse, melee is shit, stealth is shit, set pieces are boring, pace is all over the place, some sections are too scripted, etc.

And the story is nothing special (so far), even a bit dumb.
I can see the beef with aiming, but for everything else... I don't understand how your brain works.

I just don't understand. The melee is great, that's pretty much the consensus. The stealth is big improvement from uncharted 2 which was already fun. The pacing, I don't understand this complaint. The story progressing is fantastic and completely understandable. Some people are debating the
the shipyard
but aside from that, I don't know how this could be argued against. And you say the set pieces are boring? Give me three setpeice from another game that even compares to uncharted 3.

And for the story... I take it you hate Indiana Jones?

Anyway, opinions man.

Sullichin

BomberMouse said:
If after 2 hours in it's still boring, I don't think it's quick to judge.

It's not just the controls, the game is just boring gameplay wise compared to U2. Gunplay is worse, melee is shit, stealth is shit, set pieces are boring, pace is all over the place, some sections are too scripted, etc.

Holy shit at this post. Set pieces are boring? WTF? Are you fucking serious? Melee is shit? It's improved from the last game and I find it very fun. Also finding the pacing to be expertly done. Stealth is not shit it works just fine. Sneak up behind a guy press a button. What's the problem?

damn.... the opening hour of this game is amazing.

One of the best openings to a game I can think of.

Much better start then Uncharted 2 which I felt opened a bit on the quiet side.

in U3 the
bar fight was a cool opeing, then TWIST then BOOM FLASHBACK with some museum robbing, some decent character info and some more action then back to the present with another twist
I just think it was alot more veried and fun then the first hour of uncharted 2 with the train wreck and the slow as shit museum robbery... the first part of U2 was the worst part of that game though IMO.

People loved that Uncharted 2 opening so I wounder how the U3 opening is received.

jett

D-Member
Yay the awesome screenshot feature is back, although only for multiplayer. BTW MP looks really friggin good and doesn't seem skip a beat at all from SP.

Museum from UC2 looks damn good

Lula9.jpg

XrIsg.jpg

Fm221.jpg

Patapwn said:
I can see the beef with aiming, but for everything else... I don't understand how your brain works.

I just don't understand. The melee is great, that's pretty much the consensus. The stealth is big improvement from uncharted 2 which was already fun. The pacing, I don't understand this complaint. The story progressing is fantastic and completely understandable. Some people are debating the
the shipyard
but aside from that, I don't know how this could be argued against. And you say the set pieces are boring? Give me three setpeice from another game that even compares to uncharted 3.

And for the story... I take it you hate Indiana Jones?

Anyway, opinions man.

well the melee, while pretty cool in most cases, is retarded with all those
routine fights with the brute characters
. The animations and model are almost always identical. You just press square a few times interspersed with a few triangle presses. done. it's not fun after the first one in the bar

funkystudent said:
lol, really? That was quiet to you?

I like the openings to both games, although they are vastly different. I don't know how you could argue that Uncharted 3's opening is less quiet than UC2's though.

Just finished on normal. The last few chapters were insane. It really is a game with a gradual build to a very big payoff. Personally didn't like it as much as UC2, but it is still one of the best games I've played this year and a brilliant addition to what is in my mind one of the greatest game series of all time.

Also I really enjoyed the story personally, best story in the series thus far IMO.

Patapwn

Calavera520 said:
well the melee, while pretty cool in most cases, is retarded with all those
routine fights with the brute characters
. The animations and model are almost always identical. You just press square a few times interspersed with a few triangle presses. done. it's not fun after the first one in the bar
I agree, they should have changed changed his appearance a bit. But I disagree with it not being fun after the barfight. My favorite was when you go to open the door in the Syria tower and he pops out (scared the shit out of me). And also the plane.

As far as gunfighting goes, it's the worst at the beginning with the shit ass pistols you're stuck with and default aiming sensitivity but it stops being shitty soon after. At least that's my experience whether it be different settings for different guns or I just got used to it.

jett

D-Member
Another uncharted 2 map remake:

EgZnK.jpg

D7LSY.jpg

KyhOT.jpg

Return of texturezilla.

EloquentM said:
Why the eff are there armored ninjas in co-op? You can't even melee them anymore D:

You could never melee ninjas in UC2 either.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You can melee the armored guys after you take down their armor. It's annoying when they hold up your partner

Originally Posted by BomberMouse:
If after 2 hours in it's still boring, I don't think it's quick to judge.

Sullichin said:
Holy shit at this post. Set pieces are boring? WTF? Are you fucking serious? Melee is shit? It's improved from the last game and I find it very fun. Also finding the pacing to be expertly done. Stealth is not shit it works just fine. Sneak up behind a guy press a button. What's the problem?
What makes his post outrageous is that he is comparing it to Uncharted 2 and then saying Uncharted 3 is shit. That's how silly it is really, because its just illogical.

On the other hand if he was talking about the series in general then it would make more sense.

jackb2424

Banned
Im up to Chapter 12 now and I have come to the conclusion that this might be the best game I have played this gen with U2 coming second. There is one part in chapter 12 where the camera zooms out and reveals the scale of what you're climbing, all I could say was holy shit! This has to be the best looking video game ever. Everything from the story, the characters, and the godly graphics are above and beyond expectations. The puzzles are some of the best I have ever encountered. I literally turned off the hints just so the game would not help me. I also love the chase scenes. Classic naughty dog cranked up to the max. I am not having problems with aiming and think its just fine. Yeah I've died a lot but not because of aiming. I don't wanna be a jerk but I think some guys are overreacting.
Its the overall package that makes this game stand out. Its a different beast then U2 and should be viewed in that way I think. Im sorry but I don't play games with the expectation that every little detail must be perfect, thats impossible. Sure there might be mistakes somewhere but seriously look at what all this game is bringing to the table. What other game takes you on an adventure of this magnitude and has the depth of characters you actually care about. Some posters are saying that the second half is more intense! If thats true then God bless Naughty Dog. I can't wait to get home and finish this masterpiece.

The_Darkest_Red said:
lol, really? That was quiet to you?

I like the openings to both games, although they are vastly different. I don't know how you could argue that Uncharted 3's opening is less quiet than UC2's though.

well I just like that U3 has more action earlier. and I liked the
young drake and sully flashback

U2 opening was ok but it took a while before you had a real action moment. you didnt get one in U2 until the end of the museum robbery i think and that was at least a half hour / 45 minutes in.

Salz01 said:
I'm almost tempted to re read the UC2 OT to see if fans were as polarizing in there, as they are in here.

Nope most fans love UC2 a few would say UC1 is better but most people like UC2 the best .
For this one it's way more polarize .
Truth is i like the set pieces in UC3 more i love the boat and riding on horse back.
The music also better and the gfx are mind blowing for certain chapters even compare to UC2.
Still UC2 is the better game , has more replay options , better control and pacing is better.

I will spend more time with UC3 thanks to co op but UC2 is the better game .

So can you guys answer my question? How long was the first run through on hard? I have family stuff to do this weekend but I have tomorrow off. Is it over ten hours or under?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
CaptYamato said:
So can you guys answer my question? How long was the first run through on hard? I have family stuff to do this weekend but I have tomorrow off. Is it over ten hours or under?
about 7-8 hours on hard for me

funkystudent said:
well I just like that U3 has more action earlier. and I liked the
young drake and sully flashback

U2 opening was ok but it took a while before you had a real action moment. you didnt get one in U2 until the end of the museum robbery i think and that was at least a half hour / 45 minutes in.
Okay, that makes a little more sense. I was thinking about the very opening of the game, as in the first chapter or two. Even still, I've played through the first 5 chapters of U3 so far and all of it has been pretty quiet.

EloquentM said:
about 7-8 hours on hard for me
Ugh, that's kind of disappointing to hear. I hope it takes me longer.

Chapter 12-17 are pretty goddamn impressive. The game just looks absolutely amazing.
I still don't understand what they did to the AI though. The enemies are so fucking dumb.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wario64 said:
You can melee the armored guys after you take down their armor. It's annoying when they hold up your partner
yeah I noticed. my friends and I kept swinging away until we realized we had to remove the helmet first.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The_Darkest_Red said:
Okay, that makes a little more sense. I was thinking about the very opening of the game, as in the first chapter or two. Even still, I've played through the first 5 chapters of U3 so far and all of it has been pretty quiet.

Ugh, that's kind of disappointing to hear. I hope it takes me longer.
the thing about U3 is that the pacing of the story makes it seem like a longer game than it really is. trust me you won't leave unsatisfied.

Lord Error said:
The only problem I think is, they said the SP portion of the game doesn't have some hooks to be patched, or something. They said that when asked about the cheats though.

Yep i also hope they can add back the movie viewer .

ced said:
Yeah we've got to be playing glitched versions or something, cause my aiming feels so broken I don't want to continue playing until something is changed (or fixed). It's actually frustrating to read the people accusing of overreacting.
This is exactly what the MP felt like in the beta. I don't think the aiming itself is different than UC2, but there is definitely less aim assist and the hit boxes are smaller.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lord Error said:
The only problem I think is, they said the SP portion of the game doesn't have some hooks to be patched, or something. They said that when asked about the cheats though.
chapters 12 and beyond are pretty technically intensive on the ps3 when you think of the sheer amount of things they're doing motion blur might cause problems lol.

EloquentM said:
the thing about U3 is that the pacing of the story makes it seem like a longer game than it really is. trust me you won't leave unsatisfied.
I think you're right. It's not really that big of a deal to me anyway, I don't exactly need another major time-sink game right now with Dark Souls and Battlefield 3 still in my rotation.

stupei

The primary thing that has annoyed me about every Uncharted game feels like it's just amplified with every sequel. As the graphics improve and they spend more and more time modeling detailed environments they create more and more aspects of the environment that it looks like you should be able to grab onto or climb that you absolutely cannot grab or climb. I can understand wanting to create a very controlled single path but ledges on windows or railings are seriously an issue. Sometimes you can grab a window ledge! Sometimes ... you can't. Maybe I'm not perceptive enough but it doesn't seem as if there is one specific texture used every single time to clue us in. Yes, I get that this creates more rich and realistic environments but it also results in Nate doing that awkward scamper up the wall like a lizard animation as I move along the wall trying to guess where he'll latch onto next. In trying to be more realistic it feels like it creates moments that are more gamey than anything in the fluid traversal of Arkham City.

Maybe they need to address this with better means of telegraphing pathing to the player or bite the bullet and make things more obvious -- like they tend to with the protruding bricks -- but it really does take away the tension in some of the traversal moments. This actually bothers me more than the combat aiming. Is it just me?

funkystudent said:
damn.... the opening hour of this game is amazing.

One of the best openings to a game I can think of.

in U3 the
bar fight was a cool opeing, then TWIST then BOOM FLASHBACK with some museum robbing, some decent character info and some more action then back to the present with another twist
I just think it was alot more veried and fun then the first hour of uncharted 2 with the train wreck and the slow as shit museum robbery... the first part of U2 was the worst part of that game though IMO.

People loved that Uncharted 2 opening so I wounder how the U3 opening is received.

Climbing up a derailed train that's falling off a cliff is on the quiet side for you?

I don't really have any issues with the
barfight
and even
kid drake
parts but everything else after that until where I am now (chapter 8) has been done at least twice before in the first 2 games. How many times will we have to go into a cave/crypt/tomb, solve a couple puzzles and then try to escape because the "bad guys" followed us there?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Sullichin

stupei said:
The primary thing that has annoyed me about every Uncharted game feels like it's just amplified with every sequel. As the graphics improve and they spend more and more time modeling detailed environments they create more and more aspects of the environment that it looks like you should be able to grab onto or climb that you absolutely cannot grab or climb. I can understand wanting to create a very controlled single path but ledges on windows or railings are seriously an issue. Sometimes you can grab a window ledge! Sometimes ... you can't. Maybe I'm not perceptive enough but it doesn't seem as if there is one specific texture used every single time to clue us in. Yes, I get that this creates more rich and realistic environments but it also results in Nate doing that awkward scamper up the wall like a lizard animation as I move along the wall trying to guess where he'll latch onto next. In trying to be more realistic it feels like it creates moments that are more gamey than anything in the fluid traversal of Arkham City.

Maybe they need to address this with better means of telegraphing pathing to the player or bite the bullet and make things more obvious -- like they tend to with the protruding bricks -- but it really does take away the tension in some of the traversal moments. This actually bothers me more than the combat aiming. Is it just me?

Look for yellow things. I think they did an amazing job at making it clear what you can climb on while still making it seem in place.

Top Bottom