• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
finished my crushing run it was easier than i thought.time to rank them :D
uncharted 2>uncharted 1>uncharted 3
I would have switched u1 and u3 if U3 aiming wasnt complete garbage

Adamm

I havent noticed a problem with the aiming at all. I wouldnt have even been aware of it if I didnt read this thread =/
Playing on Hard Mode!

Glassboy

After reading a lot of impressions I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of U3 vs U2 going on which the results being pretty close. I haven't decided yet. Gonna have to do another U2 playthrough today.

jett

D-Member
ced said:
With my game on normal, it's like the reticule movement is only in 4 directions and has no precise movement. I will do some more testing tonight, but it also seems like the problem is worse with pistols (the silenced and .45 so far).

Here's how it works. If you move the reticle straight to the sides the game disables finer up/down movements. Uncharted 2's reticule works in the exact same way. People are really making a big deal out of nothing.

KingK said:
Either I'm playing a completely different game from some of you guys, or you're all way, way overreacting. The controls are virtually identical to UC2, and, while the aiming is slightly different (I feel like it actually has more to do with the reticle expanding so much), it's pretty damn similar to UC2 and takes like 10 minutes to adjust to. I'm popping off headshots no problem and quickly switching between targets easily...I actually just got the "5 headshots in a row" trophy last night without even specifically trying.

Agreed. After coming to terms with the aiming in the game last night -
the shipyard was a huge deal in me getting used to big gun battles that were lacking up until this point
- I was able to get a couple of the gun kill trophies, though melee is still a big part of my kill count.

Trying tonight with the sensitivity on max to see if there's any change, but as long as I can snipe with my AK, I'm fine.
3AQmK.gif

ced

Papercuts said:
I really wonder if the aiming is seriously a glitch not everyone is getting, because there is NO WAY people can actually say it's the same as UC2 with the shit I'm seeing. I literally put the game back in and am popping headshots off and having a blast, but in 3 it's like the enemies are magnets that my reticule is repelling off of.

Yeah we've got to be playing glitched versions or something, cause my aiming feels so broken I don't want to continue playing until something is changed (or fixed). It's actually frustrating to read the people accusing of overreacting.

xion4360 said:
There is definitely something wrong with the aiming. No problem aiming upward, downward, left or right. But when trying to adjust my aim diagonally I feel like it tugs back a bit and sets me off.

Listen to these words Naughty Dog. That is exactly what I noticed as well. Something is up with the diagonal movement of the reticule.

Krakatoa

ced said:
Yeah we've got to be playing glitched versions or something, cause my aiming feels so broken I don't want to continue playing until something is changed (or fixed). It's actually frustrating to read the people accusing of overreacting.

Has there been any patches since the fames release? Maybe thats why?

ced

jett said:
Here's how it works. If you move the reticle straight to the sides the game disables finer up/down movements. Uncharted 2's reticule works in the exact same way. People are really making a big deal out of nothing.

jett I'm not saying that is not the case, but there is something more going on than that, at least with my copy. I can't even hit a moving target in the game, and head shots are impossible ( I don't recall any of these issues from 1 or 2). It was so bad last night I would just have to spam shots at the enemies and hope that a couple landed.

Edit:

Here is one thing that I mentioned previously, but it might have to do with certain weapons. I've only played to Chap 6, but I had no problems aiming with I think it was a M9 rifle, unfortunately for me there was only one with limited ammo. The silenced pistol, .45 pistol and the Kal 7(?) had the aiming issues.

ScOULaris

That's great if some of you don't mind the controls, pacing, or other aspects of the game that some of us take issue with, but don't accuse us of overreacting. I'm as big of an Uncharted fan as anybody, but I have been disappointed with this sequel. I literally dread every single combat encounter, which is bad seeing as how it should be the crux of the gameplay. A lot of the things that were fun in Uncharted 2 aren't as good here. Set pieces that don't nudge you in the right direction as well, resulting in frequent failures. Firefights where you're surrounded by bullet-sponge enemies who only react to every third bullet or so. Aiming that is like something out of an early 32-bit-era FPS. Fist fights that are the same every time and boil down to mind-numbing QTE's.

As for the good parts: the story is as entertaining as ever and the graphics/sound are incredible throughout.

If I were to review Uncharted 3 as a movie, it would be a solid summer blockbuster. As a game, though, it just isn't that fun to play. I want to see how the story plays out, but I can never see myself revisiting moments in the game like I did with Uncharted 2.

We're not overreacting, even if you don't have the same complaints. These are legitimate issues that don't require cynicism to notice.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
jett said:

All I know is it feels noticeably different, immediately, and there is absolutely no reason they needed to change the feel from the way it was in UC2. It's definitely not better. At best, it's different for the sake of difference. Many people, including myself, think it's much worse.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Are you guys complaining about controls sure that you're not comparing UC3 single player controls to UC2 multi player controls (because that's what you've been playing for hours on end and remember the most)

I'm asking because I'm pretty sure there's difference in controls between UC2 SP and MP.
MP is faster, snappier and requires higher skill basically, but it allows for faster target acquisition.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lord Error said:
Are you guys complaining about controls sure that you're not comparing UC3 single player controls to UC2 multi player controls (because that's what you've been playing for hours on end and remember the most)

I'm pretty sure there's difference in controls between UC2 SP and MP.
MP is faster, snappier and requires higher skill basically, but it allows for faster target acquisition.

I literally put in UC2 SP and was able to control it fine, pull off headshots, etc. UC3 aiming is completely fucked.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Lord Error said:

I'm pretty sure there's difference in controls between UC2 SP and MP.
nah I popped in u2 after playing u3 last night aiming was smooth as butter.this is the first time i ve seen a broken element or broken gameplay in a naughty dog product and i ve been playing their games since crash 1

Was there a statement made by ND devs in this thread concerning the aiming issues in the sp?

Someone on the official UC3 forum mentioned that.

Over there ND's comment so far was, that the sp aiming is the same as in UC2 but they
"are looking into some other things" regarding the aiming... Not sure what to think about that...

It's completely broken, but I adopted to it...

BeeDog

Got home with my copy around two hours ago, and played up until you are supposed to climb the pipe outside the green garage door in chapter 4. While climbing, the pipe breaks and I start to get graphical artefacting, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :(

Fucking hell, starting to get worried now. This is my second PS3, and it's a slim to boot.

PowderedToast

played a couple hours and i really like it so far. the beginning of the second was definitely weaker. less open environments here but much stronger scenarios and better writing.

Lord Error said:
I'm asking because I'm pretty sure there's difference in controls between UC2 SP and MP.

UC3 sp aiming control is a lot, but "fast" and "snappy" it is not...

gdt

BeeDog said:
Got home with my copy around two hours ago, and played up until you are supposed to climb the pipe outside the green garage door in chapter 4. While climbing, the pipe breaks and I start to get graphical artefacting, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :(

Fucking hell, starting to get worried now. This is my second PS3, and it's a slim to boot.

Your PS3 is already dead.

Patapwn

I'd say this game is undeniably better than Uncharted 2. As for the The people complaining about aiming, you're using the wrong guns

Yamibito said:
I think people are being too quick to judge, reading a lot of "SO DISAPPOINTING, ONLY AT CHAPTER 6", makes me laugh.

If after 2 hours in it's still boring, I don't think it's quick to judge.

Patapwn said:
I'd say this game is undeniably better than Uncharted 2. As for the The people complaining about aiming, you're using the wrong guns

It's not just the controls, the game is just boring gameplay wise compared to U2. Gunplay is worse, melee is shit, stealth is shit, set pieces are boring, pace is all over the place, some sections are too scripted, etc.

And the story is nothing special (so far), even a bit dumb.

Yamibito

BomberMouse said:
Yeah, that's being too quick to judge. I don't know why people were expecting balls out huge action right at the beginning.

farnham

Banned
bought a ps3 bundle with this.
however im playing uncharted 2 first (bought 1 as well but I hear 2 is vastly better).

for anyone playing the german version, does the german version feature the english voice acting ?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BomberMouse said:

Get some sleep and then play it again.

farnham said:
for anyone playing the german version, does the german version feature the english voice acting ?

Yes.

gdt

Patapwn said:

Nah, I noticed the oddness immediately. But I adapted, I was doing awesomely a few hours in.

Furoba

dark10x said:
Check your TV calibration. That should not be necessary. On default brightness, I could always see every bit of shadow detail in even the darkest scenes. Turning up the brightness washes out the image.

Strange television is fine. It helped upping the in-game brightness setting.

Biggzy

gdt5016 said:
Nah, I noticed the oddness immediately. But I adapted, I was doing awesomely a few hours in.

I too noticed the oddity in the aiming immediately and it appears I am not the only one noticing it.

jett

D-Member
Furoba said:

I had some darkness issues too, I just bumped up in the in-game brightness level by a tiny bit.

In one of the darker MP maps I had a genuine problem seeing stuff. :p

Spasm

So working on the theory that only some of us are afflicted with poopy aiming... what's the common factor?

Res: 1080p (will try 720p tonight)
3D: No
Inverted: Yes
Diff: Hard

Dunno guys, grasping at straws here.

The aiming definitely feels odd, although it's only really bothered me in some of the bigger encounters.

BTW, which multiplayer mode has all the cool setpiece maps? I've been doing TDM, Idol, and Team Objective, but I haven't come across anything awesome like the
plane takeoff map from the first beta or whatever

Lord Error said:
I was thinking that people are maybe comparing UC2 MP with UC3 SP controls.

I did get it. But I think people here and also in general are clever enough to compare UC3 SP to UC2 SP. That's what I did. Replayed UC2 a few weeks ago and just popped it in today to compare it and UC3 aiming is definitively off. Trust me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Furoba said:
If you have to up the in-game brightness that almost always mean that your TV is not really callibrated correctly. Many times it's a "Full RBG" being enabled on TV when the TV doesn't support it, or "Dark Blacks" setting enabled on TV when it shouldn't

Adamm

Spasm said:
So working on the theory that only some of us are afflicted with poopy aiming... what's the common factor?

Res: 1080p (will try 720p tonight)
3D: No
Inverted: Yes
Diff: Hard

Dunno guys, grasping at straws here.
Maybe its different versions of the game?

Im playing UK PAL version & havent noticed any problems.
Im not saying its not different than UC2, im just saying it hasnt effecting me

Dynedom

I noticed a difference in aiming but I cranked my Sensitivity to near max. Playing on Hard.

Had no problem racking up the headshots. Got some medals related to that too. I find that I'm always going for the head regardless because that's how I played Hard and Crushing on UC2. Nothing to really complain about in that sense. Enemies are still bullet sponges but I haven't really been overwhelmed yet. The only reason I racked up some melee medals/trophies is because I kept trying to do this one section
in the Chateau
using stealth kills and I couldn't figure out how to NOT get discovered. -_- After about 12 resets I said fuck it and just threw down with guns.

I do miss that motion blur. That aside: holy shit at the lighting in this game. When I first got to
the forests in France
, my jaw literally dropped at
the light beaming through the trees and all
. In addition, ND once again showcasing their god-lighting through
a lit torch section

wrighty86

Neo Member
uncharted 2 for me was as close to perfection a game can get. Its unfair to try and compare this new game to Among Thieves.

Im really glad that Naughty Dog haven't tried to match the 2nd game beat for beat. You can tell with the pacing that they want this game to stand on it own merit and we are gonna have to love it for what it is, a much slower story.

As for the game play, I've literally had no issues with the aiming (and I pay attention to stuff like that) but Ive had some animation issues with Young Drake.

Brilliant game for me so far.

Note to ND: Well done dogs

cackhyena

Fratkabula said:
Best game of 2011. Arkham City is so over-rated compared to this.
I'll be the judge of that. So far, Batman smokes everything, cept Portal 2. It only slightly edges out Portal 2 for me.

Top Bottom