• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

I'll be honest, when they first put a gun in my hand in the game, I definitely noticed it was "off" compared to UC1/2.

Then I adjusted after a few moments and murdered a small army.

My copy finally arrived this afternoon. Playing on hard, at Chapter 3 right now. The only thing I don't like so far...
what did they do to Chloe's model? She looks weird... or maybe I'm not remembering U2 right?

RDreamer

Charted! on Hard!

Man that was just amazing. I had some issues with the aiming at first and didn't like the fights because of that, but by the end I was killing dudes left and right with ease. I still think the aiming is a bit wonky, but it's amplified by some guns in the beginning that have even worse aim. If I stayed away from the Para 9, I was good.

The length of the game is really, really not a problem. Didn't really feel shorter than Uc2 at all to me.

end spoilers
I really love that you never see a djinn or anything. When they started talking about pulling the thing up I was like "It would be really awesome if they just prevent that from ever opening and the only paranormal shit in the game was actually the hallucinations." Pretty surprised that turned out to be true.

Oh, also glad the last boss/thing/encounter (don't want to spoil anything) was handled MUCH better than 2. I still think 1 had probably the best of the 3 as far as last stuff, but this is now up there.

Erebus

I'm halfway through the game and I have noticed so far that the frame rate seems to drop below 30fps more often than it did in U2. I haven't played U2 for a long time though, so I may be wrong.

stupei

Sullichin said:
Look for yellow things. I think they did an amazing job at making it clear what you can climb on while still making it seem in place.

See, but I disagree. The problem is that most of the time it's a yellow thing or a red thing that protrudes particularly far from the wall and you know immediately where you're meant to go. And one time out of thirty... it isn't. It's a perfectly normal grey stone ledge on a window that looks rather like the other grey windows you just passed that you couldn't climb. And you've become so programmed to look for the obvious to the point that even the thing directly in your path doesn't seem like it could possibly be the right spot. (These ledges also seem to always be somewhere where you'll fall to your death if you miss.) These few exceptions start making it very easy to over-think what should be obvious and simple. Just wish they'd stick with the obvious, no matter how cheap or gamey they might think it makes the aesthetic.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow... just WOW.

The ship yard, the cruise ship, the plane level top ANYTHING in the other two games. SO INTENSE.

dark10x said:
Ha ha, awesome. I'm glad, I wanted to bring it to their attention as it IS important to me. It makes a world of difference to the visuals and they had previously set the benchmark with UC2 and even the first UC3 beta.

Good job. Glad to hear they're looking into it.

Although I'd still be amazed to see them put it back in. I think they run on such a tight schedule that they're completely opposed to putting anymore QA work etc, into the single player code. Thus why they've refused to ever patch in the cut scene viewer, alternate characters and costumes, etc.

That is also why I suspect we'll never see an aiming/accuracy tweak patch.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
DarkUSS said:
I'm halfway through the game and I have noticed so far that the frame rate seems to drop below 30fps more often than it did in U2. I haven't played U2 for a long time though, so I may be wrong.
No you're absolutely right. U3 seems to take a toll on the system.

Sullichin

stupei said:
See, but I disagree. The problem is that most of the time it's a yellow thing or a red thing that protrudes particularly far from the wall and you know immediately where you're meant to go. And one time out of thirty... it isn't. It's a perfectly normal grey stone ledge on a window that looks rather like the other grey windows you just passed that you couldn't climb. And you've become so programmed to look for the obvious to the point that even the thing directly in your path doesn't seem like it could possibly be the right spot. (These ledges also seem to always be somewhere where you'll fall to your death if you miss.) These few exceptions start making it very easy to over-think what should be obvious and simple. Just wish they'd stick with the obvious, no matter how cheap or gamey they might think it makes the aesthetic.

I haven't encountered this yet, only a couple of hours in, but In U2 I didn't mind having to figure out where to go every once in a while.

Greg

Excited to finally play, and I decided to do a little HDD cleaning before I put the disc in just in case there was an install.

Started to delete R3 game data... going on 40 minutes now

BeeDog

So far, so very good. As some have said, the aiming felt very off at first, but it seems I was simply used to the beta aiming; I quickly adjusted and right now it's not a big problem. Had to bump up the sensitivity though.

Anyway, just arrived in France and the game is mindblowingly beautiful. The attention to detail is crazy; this is by far the best looking game I've seen this console generation. Though two things are a little bit irksome, the framerate drops occasionally and the lack of motion blur is making me sad. I seriously doubt ND will patch it back in or anything, but yeah, the lack of it hurts. Either way, the game kicks ass so far and I think it has a stronger beginning than UC2.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Played up to chapter 4... nice opening, not much gameplay yet but like the story and WOW @ the
London skyline,
must've stopped and looked for like a minute. Amazing atmosphere too.

I'm getting an "Error Authentication Failed" message when I try to go online. Never had this with any other game. I have an NAT type 3, is that causing it? I'm able to play other games.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Tomorrow is a national holiday, so played from midnight or so after work until now (4:10 am)

Chapter 12 - 5 hours or so on the clock. Some quibbles, but all minor. Enjoying it a lot! :)

StuBurns

Banned
Played a couple of hours, I've got to
The Citadel
and I'm not particularly impressed. The gunplay is much nicer in UC2, graphically it doesn't really look any better to me, storywise none of the new characters are very good and the first few levels just kind of sucked, super scripted, and it feels pretty clunky. It's still fun, but based on the start, this is the weakest of the three so far.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think they deliberately tweaked the aiming like that to support the new animation system. The game looks gorgeous. I have no idea how ND managed to pull that off on a 5-year old system.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
StuBurns said:
The Citadel
and I'm not particularly impressed. The gunplay is much nicer in UC2, graphically it doesn't really look any better to me, storywise none of the new characters are very good and the first few levels just kind of sucked, super scripted, and it feels pretty clunky. It's still fun, but based on the start, this is the weakest of the three so far.
I didn't enjoy the start all that much, but I found the game to get much better after the location you mentioned.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've made a couple grumbly complaint posts in this thread, but I just want to say, despite some nagging little issues, this is one of the best videogames I've ever played.

It's really quite incredible.

Very near the end now. :)

StuBurns said:
The Citadel

It starts to look better than UC2 in next few chapters .
Mine you it's not huge jump but you can see it .

StuBurns said:
The Citadel

About 4 hours in and I mostly agree with this. The heavy scripting doesn't pay off enough to make it feel worth it and when I do get control the gameplay/gunfights aren't that satisfying.

Everything looks stunning though for sure and they stepped up their game with the cut-scene models/textures so everything still looks killer up close. The game itself seems to get better the further in I get so hopefully it starts to match U2 at some point. I'm having enough to fun that I'll fire it up and keep going later tonight, so we'll see.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
DeadRockstar said:
About 4 hours in and I mostly agree with this. The heavy scripting doesn't pay off enough to make it feel worth it and when I do get control the gameplay/gunfights aren't that satisfying.

Everything looks stunning though for sure and they stepped up their game with the cut-scene models/textures so everything still looks killer up close. The game itself seems to get better the further in I get so hopefully it starts to match U2 at some point. I'm having enough to fun that I'll fire it up and keep going later tonight, so we'll see.
what chapter are you at?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Got the game today, played straight till chapter 9.
I'm playing on Hard, but the game feels a lot easier than the first two. A lot less shooting as well.

The big chapter 12 fight is really incredible, even with UC3's shoddy shooting mechanics. Just the amount of freedom they give you in that sandbox to tackle everybody really shoots the versatility of the gameplay engine. You can let a dozen different players go at it and they'll all play it differently. After it was over, I felt like a fucking GOD tackling an army, hanging from ledges, dodging underwater, grabbing grenades and throwing them back in mid-air, rolling shooting fist-fighting goodness. When it was over, I climbed to the tallest boat and just shot my weapon in the air victorious.

PhiLonius

Started not too long ago. Stuck on
the Chateau sliding puzzle thingy and I can't figure it out
. Aiming feels weird but I'm loving it so far.

The Lamp

PhiLonius said:
Started not too long ago. Stuck on
the Chateau sliding puzzle thingy and I can't figure it out
. Aiming feels weird but I'm loving it so far.

Here's some help for that section:
The statues on the left and right of the room have a panel on the floor that reveals symbols depending on the direction you're facing when you look at them. Use those symbols as a hint of where to place the animal emblem, since the panel is in front of a statue of that animal.

PhiLonius

The Lamp said:
Here's some help for that section:
The statues on the left and right of the room have a panel on the floor that reveals symbols depending on the direction you're facing when you look at them. Use those symbols as a hint of where to place the animal emblem, since the panel is in front of a statue of that animal.

Thanks. Noticed that but couldn't put it together. Going to hop back on in a bit

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
played this for a few hours.
well fuck me. this might just be the most beautiful and realistic game I have ever played.
honestly, this feels at least a gen or so ahead of its time. this shit should NOT be possible.
Naught Dog are absolute geniuses.

StuBurns

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
It starts to look better than UC2 in next few chapters .
Mine you it's not huge jump but you can see it .
I actually just played a bit of the level I mentioned a minute ago to test out maximum stick sensitivity and it does look better than anything in UC2, the first few chapters didn't for me, but the lighting is pretty amazing there.

Radec said:
few more moves and drake will outdo batman!

Yep, they've done a lot of special animations for different enviroment, but the regular attacks are always the same. In the end i got tired of that double face slap that he is doing after three consecutive hits.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got up to chapter 12. I really liked chapter 11 and 10, really good stuff.

upJTboogie said:
FU and your slow shipping GameFly!

So how it the multiplayer guys? Just the same as the subway beta?

Yeah, it's still balls.

JB1981

Evolved1 said:
I've made a couple grumbly complaint posts in this thread, but I just want to say, despite some nagging little issues, this is one of the best videogames I've ever played.

It's really quite incredible.

Very near the end now. :)

haha what a stunning change of heart.

Top Bottom