• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

patsu

Callibretto said:
they should keep the new melee system even on regular enemies, but reduce the number of punches needed to finish them off.

That would work for me too, as long as the fistfight doesn't drag on.

I didn't like the shotgun guys in U2 because they couldn't be melee'ed.

tigerin

Mooreberg said:
I really glad I have the habit of alternating between hard saves:
If an autosave overwrites your most recent hard save in the middle of the caravan attack, you are fucked. The game respawns you on a horse, but no Saleem on the other horse, and no caravans whatsoever.

They may want to patch in a dedicated autosave slot rather than constantly overwriting the hard save. I see people getting boned hard on that one. Thankfully, I managed to avoid the problem. Wish I had the same luck with Deus Ex Human Revolution. :-\

the game seems to have some glitches. it seems like the game were rushed near the end of the game. i noticed drake's clothes doesn't get wet in the water when i tried to roll over it.

patsu

tigerin said:
the game seems to have some glitches. it seems like the game were rushed near the end of the game. i noticed drake's clothes doesn't get wet in the water when i tried to roll over it.

Which part ?

tigerin said:
i'm starting to think batman arkham city is better.
I disagree. I loved Arkham City, but the open world approach hurt the overall story telling in my opinion. That being said, it had the best opening of any game this year.

At this point, only Portal 2 is in my mind as my possible goty. I'm waiting for Skyrim as I think it is the last game this year that could equal Portal 2 and Uncharted 3. I can't wait to find out if it does this Friday!!!!

tigerin

Synless said:
Im playing that right now and while really good, it's not better, IMO.

can't argue with you on that, both games are good. uncharted 3 just frustrated me more with its cheap enemies and
i expected more from the boss fight, i thought marlowe would comes back as a sandstorm.

cackhyena

Fletcher said:
I'm not sure if it's already been said, but it seems they had these wow set pieces they wanted to make and just built a story around it and tried to connect them.
It's been said, by ND themselves. Watch the extras. My favorite part in the entire game, maybe entire series,
the Talbot chase scene
, they had already made over a year before they knew how they were going to implement it.

tigerin said:
Huh? His clothes get wet. Hell, his hair gets wet in this game. Some of Yall are reaching at this point.

Synless said:

I was disappointed with Batman but this was my favorite Uncharted. My only problems were that the first half was kind of slow and the aiming, but the aiming is being worked on. Everything else to me was fucking incredible. From chapter 12 and on I had an absolute blast and the action hardly ever let up. I also found the storytelling to be pretty top-notch and I was genuinely interested in finding out everything.

It also had an incredibly satisfying climax that just really clicked with me. Breathtaking art direction, some extremely artistically abstract creativity near the end, excellent villain encounters, amazing music... yeah I was just really, really pleased with the last half of the game, especially the last THIRD of the game. Also had the best ending of the three.

tigerin

patsu said:
Which part ?

glitch? i remember when i was climbing up the gears and drake just automatically went through the upper floor. then his clothes didn't get wet when i rolling in a stream of fountain with sully behind me. and don't u noticed sully barely talk at all near the end? most of the times it's just drake talking to himself or to sully without him replying back.

tigerin

cjtiger300 said:
Huh? His clothes get wet. Hell, his hair gets wet in this game. Some of Yall are reaching at this point.

i know his clothes get wet. but have you try his desert attire(the one with the scarf)? i tried rolling in the water many times and didn't got wet.

Fletcher said:
Not even close to goty.

imo

Only reason why I probably won't name it my GOTY is because of Zelda. If not for Zelda it would be a toss up between Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls. Not that I've played Zelda yet, but after seeing how amazing it looks and the reviews its getting, I feel comfortable about my comments.

Massa

cackhyena said:
I have no idea how on earth you come to that conclusion.

A lot of people feel that way and explained it properly in the Batman thread.

brandonh83 said:
Only reason why I probably won't name it my GOTY is because of Zelda. If not for Zelda it would be a toss up between Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls. Not that I've played Zelda yet, but after seeing how amazing it looks and the reviews its getting, I feel comfortable about my comments.

Playing the game is just a small detail.

cackhyena said:
I thought Batman AA had a much better story and pacing. Both are awesome, but AA is my favorite of that series as well. Opinions vary my friend.

Massa said:

Yeah I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous to assume that a Zelda game is going to be great. Like I said I haven't played it yet, but all signs are pointing to it delivering.

tigerin

Kagari said:
That would have been really lame.

better than the boss fight we have now......oh wait,
there wasn't one.

if you played the last two uncharted, you would know the boss fight were crazy.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
cackhyena said:

the game flow is less tight, in my opinion, than the original game. I do not think that the open world concept in arkham city is the right direction for the series. could be just the fact that I was simply shocked at how good the original was for a batman game, but the sequel did not really grap me so far.

cackhyena

Massa said:
A lot of people feel that way and explained it properly in the Batman thread.

So story focus. Agreed. Everything else is a step up to me. Easily.

gdt

So far....it's either UC3 or Dark Souls as my GOTY. Can't chose....they both offer incredibly different experiences. And Zelda is still coming! And Portal 2 came all over me! And maybe I'll dig Skyrim! Who knows, AssCreed is still there!

Fuck me what a year.

Batman AC was excellent, but a little mixed in terms of the main storyline "missions", but the city was wonderful.

Synless said:

I really don't get the appeal of Batman. The combat system is pretty boring (especially compared to something like Yakuza) and I didn't like the overworld at all. I just wanted to make it to the next mission to keep the story going. That's what I appreciate about Uncharted. There's no down time in the series. It's one thing to the next. No bullshit.

tigerin said:
better than the boss fight we have now......oh wait,
there wasn't one.

I thought the fight scene with
Talbot was much more fun and engaging than the other Uncharted final bosses
. On crushing I found it to be very exciting. It was unquestionably superior to the Lazarevic fight.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Had my first freeze tonite....

Played through the whole game on normal and had no issues at all. Started my crushing run tonite and just as chapter 1 started where it talks about how to throw enemies into each other, hard freeze. Had to power off my Slim and turn it back on. Was fine the next time.

cackhyena

SolidSnakex said:
I really don't get the appeal of Batman. The combat system is pretty boring (especially compared to something like Yakuza) and I didn't like the overworld at all. I just wanted to make it to the next mission to keep the story going. That's what I appreciate about Uncharted. There's no down time in the series. It's one thing to the next. No bullshit.
Jesus. I need to stop coming in here. The insanity is getting to me.

gdt

The final boss of UC3 was eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasily the best boss fight. Very cool on all levels. Sure, it boils down to a
___________________QTE
but it's exciting nonetheless.

Just finished the single player. I liked it, but still think UC2 is the king.

Those last couple levels felt straight ripped from the last game, especially the "escape from the collapsing city" part.

Those vistas and cityscapes though, holy crap.

brandonh83 said:
. On crushing I found it to be very exciting. It was unquestionably superior to the Lazarevic fight.
Agreed. By far the most intense boss fight of the series, and much better than U1.

brandonh83 said:

I agree with this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
brandonh83 said:

Agreed. Lazarevic fight was just annoying.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I finished it tonight and I never had as much fun playing it as I did U2. I'll wait for the patch before I start Crushing.

tigerin

SolidSnakex said:

i actually think uncharted 3 combat system is like a unpolished and rough version of batman. sometimes the triangle buttons doesn't respond and it gets annoying when you're stuck in the combat(and you can't escape while some guy is shooting at you. but i'm amaze how smooth the combat system was in batman. it like he was dancing around the enemies.

hold up.......did you just mentioned yakuza? that game is a soozefest. the combat system is there are so outdate. sometimes i missed the enemies while swinging the motorcycle.

squidyj

Callibretto said:
I honestly can't think how they can improve Uncharted graphic on ps4 other than upping image quality and frame rate, maybe a few bit more visual/lighting effect and that's it. the lighting and character model in U3 is already really really good.

a couple beef I had with them like Elena face is not technical limitation but stylistic choice by ND. and for a game being criticized for being linear, the actual playing field during gunfight is actually pretty damn big.

There's a lot that can be done tech-wise in terms of rendering and animation to make graphics much, MUCH more appealing

Maybe I just don't like how many dudes you have to fight in Batman and how the camera twirls around like a ballerina on crack... I don't know, something about it just annoyed the piss out of me. While Uncharted 3's melee combat isn't anything deep and is borderline QTE stuff, something about the presentation and ease of it won me over. It felt cinematic, yet, I didn't feel like the game took the control away from me. Especially on harder difficulties. On shit like very easy, yeah there's nothing to it, but for example on the
final boss on crushing
, you're dead in like 2 hits.

cackhyena said:
Jesus. I need to stop coming in here. The insanity is getting to me.
Dude, to me the combat of Batman is the weakest part. I love the detective parts and the stealth rooms. Also the gadgets kick ass!!!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who really doesnt care for Batman's combat. I mean its good, but its everything else that make it kick ass. I find myself avoiding combat as much as possible in Arkham City.

tigerin said:
i actually think uncharted 3 combat system is like a unpolished and rough version of batman. sometimes the triangle buttons doesn't respond and it gets annoying when you're stuck in the combat(and you can't escape while some guy is shooting at you. but i'm amaze how smooth the combat system was in batman. it like he was dancing around the enemies.

The difference is that Uncharted doesn't rely on hand to hand combat. It's a small part of its combat while gunplay makes up the majority of it. I wouldn't like Uncharted as much if it revolved around hand to hand combat. I tend to find hand to hand combat systems to be boring in adventure games. Shenmue and Yakuza are the only two seriess that I think really shine when it comes to that combat style.

bobbytkc said:
maybe we should stop talking about batman in the uncharted thread. they are not even the same type of games.

The way the combat is executed has some similarities. But yeah I agree.

Anyway I still cannot get over how well the cutscenes in this game are directed and how fantastic the performances are. There were a few scenes, a few shots that managed to stumble out of being "videogame like" and more film like in nature. Just ridiculously natural.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Isn't funny how before the game was released and Eurogamer gave it an 8 people started wondering if it was a troll to get more hits since many other places gave it 9s and 10s. Game comes out and people start pointing out problems and how the game isn't quite their GOTY.

For me personally UC3 is the best of the series and worst of the series. The story telling, some of the dialogue and the set pieces were out of this world. The gun play mechanics felt the worst to me and I dreaded every single gun battle. Couldn't wait for them to be over.

Finished the game on my first play through on Hard in 9 1/2hrs with 58 Artifacts found. Really not sure if I am going to bother Crushing with this one as I found the shooting scenes incredibly frustrating. Crushing would just tip me over the edge.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
brandonh83 said:
I must be taking crazy pills... because I thought the Lazarevic fight was entertaining gameplay-wise, emotionally thrilling, and one of the most memorable experiences in a memorable game.... but everytime I've seen it mentioned, I see others that didn't like it.

Do you really think that a
QTE final boss
is exceptional?? I didn't dislike that part, but I didn't even consider it a "boss". :p

I'm pretty sure that Uncharted 1 had a better final boss from a gameplay perspective... and that's saying something.

Amazing visuals, though.

tigerin

brandonh83 said:

really? lol it's like a hand to hand fight with the regular enemies and felts so unpolished too.
it was kinda kool when he tried to kicked you off the ledge the first time but after the second times it seems so scripted.
at least lazarevic's fight seems more like a boss fight. my reaction after beating it was
"that was it!?" after i beat talbot.

cackhyena

SolidSnakex said:
The difference is that Uncharted doesn't rely on hand to hand combat. It's a small part of its combat while gunplay makes up the majority of it. I wouldn't like Uncharted as much if it revolved around hand to hand combat. I tend to find hand to hand combat systems to be boring in adventure games. Shenmue and Yakuza are the only two seriess that I think really shine when it comes to that combat style.
I seriously can't believe what I'm reading here. Gonna leave it, though. This is the U3 thread, after all.

Eh I've already explained my thoughts to the best of my ability. Some will agree, some not... I just did not like Lazarevic at all, nor the way that boss fight was set up.

But I'll try one more time I guess, a bit more bluntly even:

I thought it was more thrilling and satisfying dodging Talbot's knife attacks and beating him to a pulp while the city collapsed, and then the way it ended with you climbing back up and delivering the final shots before he kills Sully was just fucking badass. Way cooler than running around like a dumbass shooting random explosive shit while trying to take down a cardboard cutout bald space marine villain

tigerin

SolidSnakex said:

funny how you mentioned gunplay when that the was the majority complaint about the game lol. to be honest, i would prefer them using the melee attack in the multiplayer portion for the single player. quick and simple.

cackhyena

brandonh83 said:
Eh I've already explained my thoughts to the best of my ability. Some will agree, some not... I just did not like Lazarevic at all, nor the way that boss fight was set up.
I'm with you. It would have been awful for me...if I didn't cheese it. Made Crushing a cinch.

Top Bottom