• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Monarch said:
Nate is basically geometry :p
When I looked at the sun, no God rays around Drake for me to appreciate :(
And the missing mb did hurt the graphics for me, it may sounds like nitpicking but i'm very fond of those post-process effect (I just came from Crysis 1, dat blur!). I know it's a bug but Hey, if they had one extra month of polish and testing i'm sure it would have been present day 1.
This is why it seems to me that ND was overwhelmed by the amount of work U3 represented.
MP is great btw.

If there are no clouds or objects you won't get god rays. In the context you were talking about it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. Really, I can understand some of the criticisms but no god rays around Drake in the middle of the desert is just ridiculous.

Monarch said:
Nate is basically geometry :p
When I looked at the sun, no God rays around Drake for me to appreciate :(
And the missing mb did hurt the graphics for me, it may sounds like nitpicking but i'm very fond of those post-process effect (I just came from Crysis 1, dat blur!). I know it's a bug but Hey, if they had one extra month of polish and testing i'm sure it would have been present day 1.
This is why it seems to me that ND was overwhelmed by the amount of work U3 represented.
MP is great btw.

There ARE god rays from the sun around Drake, the game isn't set up at an angle that constantly puts Drake between you and the sun, but the god rays are there, from the sun, and from random lights, both Drake and the environments are capable of generating god rays.

gogogow

Just finished the SP mode and imo UC3 defintely have better textures and more consistent than UC2, which had pretty low res textures mixed in at times. Overall it might not be a huge leap in graphics, but it's still the better looking game.

Gyrian

Just received this in the mail, pretty fun read so far!
It's all from Nolan North's perspective on what the motion capture sessions and the creative process are like.

Ov5Sx.jpg
Ltnkr.jpg

I didn't pick up on Lazarevic's actor being Charlie Cutter this time around! Mind blown. <:O

EDIT:
Confirmed here once again, the reason why Cutter (and Chloe) exit the story when they do is that they couldn't get Graham McTavish for as long as they would've needed, since he picked up a role in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. Him breaking a leg was the way to improvise this.

jax (old)

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Is it me or are the textures not that impressive in UC3? Nothing stood out that made me say WOW, like these giant masks in UC2:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18088776&postcount=12124

Hell, even the lighting is still impressive in the first couple of pics.

Almost done with the game.

omg. need to replay UC2. yeah; I loved that room you're talking about. just stand out wow.

PS4 + ND = blow your mind.

can't wait.

It's kind of weird that the Multiplayer director in UC2 became the single player game director in UC3

Also, I love that Drake's hair finally gets wet. It was weird in the past 2 games when everywhere except his head get wet.

Gyrian said:
I didn't pick up on Lazarevic's actor being Charlie Cutter this time around! Mind blown. <:O

Wait what? Really? Wow didn't pick up on that at all.

Charlie is fantastic. Great addition to the franchise.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Wait what? Really? Wow didn't pick up on that at all.

Charlie is fantastic. Great addition to the franchise.

Yea Cutter was the best sidekick in the game this time around, it's such a shame he leaves and doesn't come back for the rest of the story. I really feel like they got the inspiration for him from Jason Statham's character in the movie Snatch. Looks like him, sounds like him, and acts like him almost to the point of being scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heiyM61dfio

on chapter 16.

yeah that
boat
level was quite something...

Oh and unless the story takes a Metal Gear Solid 2 style twist during the last quarter I would say this is at least the best written Uncharted game.

The Nate / Sully / Elena stuff has been top notch.

Oh and It is a uncharted game so I guess I will be fighting some kind of crazy Bullshit soon so lets see how that goes.

jax (old)

Banned
ProfessorMoran said:
There ARE god rays from the sun around Drake, the game isn't set up at an angle that constantly puts Drake between you and the sun, but the god rays are there, from the sun, and from random lights, both Drake and the environments are capable of generating god rays.

the first room
in desert village
with the hole in the roof and the light leaking down was really amazing to look at. Better than gears3's almost hokey godray use. when you met the pimpy ice T guy in the tower; and the godray was leaking outta the plank behind his head in his room? Bad.

NeoUltima

Gyrian said:
EDIT:
Confirmed here once again, the reason why Cutter (and Chloe) exit the story when they do is that they couldn't get Graham McTavish for as long as they would've needed, since he picked up a role in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. Him breaking a leg was the way to improvise this.
Bummer :/

gogogow said:
But who the hell is Charlie Cutter? I don't think they ever explained how they've met with Drake's crew.

I guess Cutter is a part of the British Treasure hunting gang that Chloe and Flynn where in at the start of Uncharted 2?

Maybe he was brought on to Replace Flynn after Uncharted 2.

Also I guess the bad English guy from Uncharted 1 was also a part of this group at some point since Drake and Sully knew him.

There could probably be a book or a vita game that explains the back story to all the english treasure hunters in the uncharted games.

Gyrian said:
I'll just leave this here.

0hYbb.jpg

just watched that cut scene. <3 :( <3

:/

cpp_is_king said:
Yea Cutter was the best sidekick in the game this time around, it's such a shame he leaves and doesn't come back for the rest of the story. I really feel like they got the inspiration for him from Jason Statham's character in the movie Snatch. Looks like him, sounds like him, and acts like him almost to the point of being scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heiyM61dfio

I completely agree. I kept thinking of Statham in Snatch as well.

Teknoman

funkystudent said:
on chapter 16.

yeah that
boat

Oh and unless the story takes a Metal Gear Solid 2 style twist during the last quarter I would say this is at least the best written Uncharted game.

Oh and It is a uncharted game so I guess I will be fighting some kind of crazy Bullshit soon so lets see how that goes.

You'll be surprised how they handle it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
in retrospect I really feel like UC3 was the better of the three games. It cut out a lot of filler that the two others had while still being able to tell a better story and have just as exciting set pieces. the only thing that really held it back was the controls and bugs. :/

The Lamp

I think I have to spend a weekend and play all 3 games back to back. Only then will I reach the next level of gaming nirvana
and possibly gain an ability to fairly criticize all 3 together at once

Ricker

Is this chapter(13 I think) with all the damaged boats for real?? do I have to kill all those guys or what? most annoying chapter ever...how many of those guys are there,jesus,plus Drake controls like crap there,grabs when I don`t want to,I glitched with my body halfway through the deck at one point,so I died again,must of tried 10 times now,getting really annoyed...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In my opinion, Uncharted 3 (which I've just finished) has easily the strongest campaign/story of the 3. The only reason I can see people thinking otherwise is purely down to expectations going in, and the exhaustingly intense third act.

It is scripted and paced just like a movie, which makes sense dramatically but due to the elevated difficulty of the final few firefights I can see people who struggle/die a lot getting frustrated and put off by it.

On normal I actually found it less difficult, with fewer frustrating moments than either of its predecessors. But then I adapted reasonably quickly to the stiff aiming and generally enjoyed the heightened amount of melee action - partly because I found it fun to play but also because I felt it fits Drake's character/style to brawl rather than gunning down everyone in sight.

Strike

Alright, I'm gonna break down and play through the campaign once, then platinum it once the patch comes out. Before I start, I just want to know. Can you pause the cutscenes? I know I'm probably going to be interrupted and I don't want to miss a thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Strike said:
Alright, I'm gonna break down and play through the campaign once, then platinum it once the patch comes out. Before I start, I just want to know. Can you pause the cutscenes? I know I'm probably going to be interrupted and I don't want to miss a thing.

Yep! Hit start or triangle, iirc.

The Lamp

Clear said:
In my opinion, Uncharted 3 (which I've just finished) has easily the strongest campaign/story of the 3. The only reason I can see people thinking otherwise is purely down to expectations going in, and the exhaustingly intense third act.

It is scripted and paced just like a movie, which makes sense dramatically but due to the elevated difficulty of the final few firefights I can see people who struggle/die a lot getting frustrated and put off by it.

On normal I actually found it less difficult, with fewer frustrating moments than either of its predecessors. But then I adapted reasonably quickly to the stiff aiming and generally enjoyed the heightened amount of melee action - partly because I found it fun to play but also because I felt it fits Drake's character/style to brawl rather than gunning down everyone in sight.

No I'd say there's peaks and troughs in the pacing, with some gaps in the quality of the writing
Nate's intentions throughout the whole adventure, the heavy under-utilization of the main villain, and a complete disappearance of Chloe's personality from U2
. My expectations were for the story to match the urgency, wit and charm of Uncharted 2 at all times, and it didn't do that.

Niblet

Anyone here experiencing the game (during multiplayer) activating your kickbacks without user input? For example I have had multiple games in which the game activates my team medic kickback at inopportune times. Its not just this kickback. The game has done this seemingly at random with other kickbacks I have used, such as militia man and shottie. This is very annoying as I keep my kickbacks for crucial moments and completely messes up my flow.

Is this a bug or working as intended because if its the latter, what the hell were they thinking?

Gyrian said:
I'll just leave this here.

0hYbb.jpg
Loved reading both Nolan and Emily's thoughts on the scene and I had to agree that it was probably one of the best scenes that they did together. Well-acted and very believable.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Niblet said:
Anyone here experiencing the game (during multiplayer) activating your kickbacks without user input? For example I have had multiple games in which the game activates my team medic kickback at inopportune times. Its not just this kickback. The game has done this seemingly at random with other kickbacks I have used, such as militia man and shottie. This is very annoying as I keep my kickbacks for crucial moments and completely messes up my flow.

Is this a bug or working as intended because if its the latter, what the hell were they thinking?
try using a different controller and see if it keeps happening

Ricky_R

Ricker said:
Is this chapter(13 I think) with all the damaged boats for real?? do I have to kill all those guys or what? most annoying chapter ever...how many of those guys are there,jesus,plus Drake controls like crap there,grabs when I don`t want to,I glitched with my body halfway through the deck at one point,so I died again,must of tried 10 times now,getting really annoyed...

I think you mean chapter 12 and if that's the chapter you're talking about then I felt the complete opposite way.

I thought that part was great. Not only does it looks amazing, but It has pretty satisfying gameplay as soon as you figure out how to approach it IMO.
I loved swimming quietly doing stealth kills on it too. I killed quite a few enemies using stealth, and when all hell broke loose, I was able to move/shoot around getting into multiple covers or I could run and actually dive into the water. Then I would swim underwater, reach a ship, climb it and melee the fuck out of another dude.

I don't know... I had a lot of fun in that chapter.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Lamp said:
No I'd say there's peaks and troughs in the pacing, with some gaps in the quality of the writing

I disagree, Nate's motivation/behaviour is consistent and tracks along a pretty textbook transformative arc
although to be fair I'm not entirely sure that Sully's "death" fake-out was a great idea given that a percentage of the audience will always feel cheated when they are told that something they saw didn't happen/matter

funkystudent said:
on chapter 16.

yeah that
boat

The
boat
level was sweet because Drake was literally
floating up and down
while shooting,
swimming and shooting
is so awesome, even when Drake hangs on to the side of a
boat
, you can still feel the
waves moving things up and down

jax (old)

Banned
Niblet said:

Id buy a new controller. sounds like yours is broken

that pic of nolan+emily rose is nice.

Riposte

From what I can understand 1.01 doesn't fix aiming. Can someone tell me when that will get fixed? Not touching single player until then.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Riposte said:
From what I can understand 1.01 doesn't fix aiming. Can someone tell me when that will get fixed? Not touching single player until then.

More information about the patch coming this week. That's all we know at the moment.

CyReN

Just finished the game, loved it. Some questions in the spoiler if you guys can help me out.

Are Nate and Elena married or something?
Is this the last game in the series?

Loudninja

Riposte said:
More info this week
And don't worry, we are still hard at work on a full featured patch with lots of changes and fixes to various issues. We hope to have more info on the next patch by the end of this week or the weekend. Thanks!
http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/Multiplayer/Uncharted-3-Patch-1-01-is-now-live/td-p/646513

Sounds like the patch will include more than aiming and motion blur fixes.

shwimpy

CyReN said:
Just finished the game, loved it. Some questions in the spoiler if you guys can help me out.

Engaged... and probably not.

Just finished this today. I can honestly say that I enjoyed it as much as U2, notwithstanding the usual Uncharted jank with the larger battles (though they still feel suitably action-packed, I guess). Characters were brilliant again; I really liked Cutter. I'm sort of glad that he
broke his leg
(stay with me) because otherwise he probably would've been killed off or something.

I was happy with how the ending chapters panned out, in spite of feeling as though they were going to pull the same 'blue man' bullshit at the end of U2. I liked the fact that
they didn't go down the route of making Marlowe into some super monster just to suit a video game template (I don't think it would've served her character well, either)

I've never played Drake's Fortune, so I'll be sure to pick that up soon.

CyReN said:

I assumed that they were engaged, but its possible they were married, it was a bit vague.

tigerin

Gyrian said:
Just received this in the mail, pretty fun read so far!
It's all from Nolan North's perspective on what the motion capture sessions and the creative process are like.

Ov5Sx.jpg
Ltnkr.jpg

EDIT:

so cutter breaking the leg was a "good luck with your career" kinda thing for that voice actor?

Top Bottom