• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Jive Turkey said:
So um...I've run into an issue here. I've gotten to a point in chapter 12 and can't advance. It's in the middle of the platforming section after the second gun battle area. More specifically it's right after Drake's line "Ah back on solid land...uh...boat." The camera pans out and I'm supposed to climb down and make my way across the ship's ribs but the game won't let me jump from the first rib to the next. I didn't have this issue during my first two playthroughs. It's pissing me off too because my last treasure is beyond this point!
Asking again for the day crew. Anybody else have this problem? I didn't have an issue pre-patch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Philia said:
OH NO, Heavy Rain in comparison to LA Noire and no its not better than UC3 at all. UC3 is decent.
Gotcha. That's pretty cool to know, considering that they animate character faces manually in UC games.

Charles

Jive Turkey said:
Asking again for the day crew. Anybody else have this problem? I didn't have an issue pre-patch.

Have you tried just restarting the chapter on easy and getting the treasure?

In the flashback at the beginning of the game the entire floor disappeared from under me and I fell down through the level (and died) but then the game continued and put me through to the next checkpoint (where
young Nate steals Sully's wallet
)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jive Turkey said:

Is it still happening after a reload? I've noticed in the little I've replayed some segments are just really weird when you try to platform. I couldn't get Drake to grab the handholds you swing on in Chapter 2 without redoing the chapter.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Charles said:
Have you tried just restarting the chapter on easy and getting the treasure?
Papercuts said:
Is it still happening after a reload? I've noticed in the little I've replayed some segments are just really weird when you try to platform. I couldn't get Drake to grab the handholds you swing on in Chapter 2 without redoing the chapter.
Yes and yes. I tried different difficulty settings and I've gone so far as to shut down the game entirely. Right now this glitch is the only real thing standing between me and my platinum.

Rewrite said:
I'm not doing the Legacy shit. You lose everything. Fuck that. I'm happy keeping all my leveled up boosters and money, thank you very much!

Level 75. It'll appear on your records tab when you access it.

Do you get anything special for starting over?

NeoUltima

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Do you get anything special for starting over?
Yes. You get new boosters. They nerf things like you movement while aiming, sprinting, kickback cost, less ammo. However, they also multiply your cash earnings (from kills and assists) by 2x or 2.5x for each one equipped.

Monarch

Banned
Sullichin said:
How can you say that it has less polish graphically? It definitely looks better than U2...

also.. there are plenty of linear games out there. uncharted has always been a directed, linear experience, why would you expect anything else going into 3?

I didn't say U3 doesn't look better, I said it's less polished. For example, gods rays appear to be randomly used. In the
shipyard
, they're just mindblowing, really. And suddenly when
wandering in the desert
, there none whatsoever. In another spot, in the
desert village
, they can come through some geometry... :| There are also collisions issues, I assume because of the amount of animations Drake has, I dunno UC2 felt more polished, constant in the graphics department. But I think U3 looks better as a whole.
For the linearity, I think that ND took away the control from the player too many times for the sake of the «cinematic» feel the game is trying to achieve. Why can't I take this street instead of this one
as young Drake
? Why I'm obliged to walk when I want to run ? All of this annoyed me even if I frickin love the game, its set-pieces, pace, etc...

Massa

Monarch said:
Why I'm obliged to walk when I want to run ?

Actually I think the contextual walk speed is one of the strengths of the series. The problem with 3 is that there are many times where you walk so slowly it can feel a little too limiting. The previous games did a better job of making that "just work" invisibly to the player.

spidye

Uncharted 3: spam grenades
I can't enjoy the firefights. far too many grenades are getting thrown at me. there isn't even enough time to develop a tactic. just run from one cover to the next and hope for the best.

Monarch

Banned
Massa said:
Actually I think the contextual walk speed is one of the strengths of the series. The problem with 3 is that there are many times where you walk so slowly it can feel a little too limiting. The previous games did a better job of making that "just work" invisibly to the player.

Yeah those feel more intrusive in U3

Red Blaster said:
Just hit Chapter 21 and I'm just fed up with the BS gun battles with 100% accurate RPG guys, tons of laser sights and guys flanking you while you have to fight the slushy controls that weren't in the last game. Game doesn't hold the jock of Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog obviously reached for the "cinematic" angle over the "fun and engaging gameplay scenarios" angle. The
ship graveyard + cruise liner was the only thing that actually resembled U2's genius

Yeah I devolved into a swearing mess by that point. I was actually wishing I could "cutscene" the gun battles so i could get to climbing up stuff and getting to the end.

The bit with 3 or so machine gun trucks and god knows what else is horrendous.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Monarch said:
I didn't say U3 doesn't look better, I said it's less polished. For example, gods rays appear to be randomly used. In the
shipyard
wandering in the desert
desert village
, they can come through some geometry... :| There are also collisions issues, I assume because of the amount of animations Drake has, I dunno UC2 felt more polished, constant in the graphics department. But I think U3 looks better as a whole.
For the linearity, I think that ND took away the control from the player too many times for the sake of the «cinematic» feel the game is trying to achieve. Why can't I take this street instead of this one
as young Drake
? Why I'm obliged to walk when I want to run ? All of this annoyed me even if I frickin love the game, its set-pieces, pace, etc...

Aren't god rays dependent on atmosphere and cloud cover, or at least geometry? The desert sky is completely clear, isn't it? What would the god rays show through?

spidye said:
I can't enjoy the firefights. far too many grenades are getting thrown at me. there isn't even enough time to develop a tactic. just run from one cover to the next and hope for the best.

Get good at throwing the grenades back, because then you'll be killing enemies with free grenades. Makes things a lot easier and is probably exactly what ND intended.

deepbrown

spidye said:
I always throw them back. In fact, if I've run out of grenades, I wait for them to throw them at me, then throw them back in their face

Sullichin

Monarch said:
shipyard
wandering in the desert
desert village
as young Drake

to me, i don't think a god ray clipping through the geometry once in a blue moon is indicative of the graphics not being polished. it's the best looking game i've ever seen so it's hard for me to complain about the graphics :p

I suppose ND didn't want you to run in those sections. Idk, they didn't bother me; I actually really liked those sections - i thought they break up the game nicely.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sullichin said:
to me, i don't think a god ray clipping through the geometry once in a blue moon is indicative of the graphics not being polished. it's the best looking game i've ever seen so it's hard for me to complain about the graphics :p

I suppose ND didn't want you to run in those sections. Idk, they didn't bother me; I actually really liked those sections - i thought they break up the game nicely.

I'm guessing the forced walking allows for things to load in before you get to them. I'm noticing more low-res versions of textures on my second playthrough, during which I'm spending less time taking in the environment and just running straight to my next destination.

It's weird though, because when you skip a movie, the game starts again immediately, even if it's a completely different area filled with different assets. So they clearly know how to load their data cleverly, but they probably couldn't avoid the slightly intrusive forced walking parts.

Monarch

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Aren't god rays dependent on atmosphere and cloud cover, or at least geometry? The desert sky is completely clear, isn't it? What would the god rays show through?

Get good at throwing the grenades back, because then you'll be killing enemies with free grenades. Makes things a lot easier and is probably exactly what ND intended.

Nate is basically geometry :p
When I looked at the sun, no God rays around Drake for me to appreciate :(
And the missing mb did hurt the graphics for me, it may sounds like nitpicking but i'm very fond of those post-process effect (I just came from Crysis 1, dat blur!). I know it's a bug but Hey, if they had one extra month of polish and testing i'm sure it would have been present day 1.
This is why it seems to me that ND was overwhelmed by the amount of work U3 represented.
MP is great btw.

Shapingo

I wish I could make a female villain/hero for multi-player.

I finally found some level 60+ players and was able to play the Airport Co-op stage. Best boss fight of the series.

deepbrown

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm guessing the forced walking allows for things to load in before you get to them. I'm noticing more low-res versions of textures on my second playthrough, during which I'm spending less time taking in the environment and just running straight to my next destination.

It's weird though, because when you skip a movie, the game starts again immediately, even if it's a completely different area filled with different assets. So they clearly know how to load their data cleverly, but they probably couldn't avoid the slightly intrusive forced walking parts.
It has nothing to do with loading. It's to do with atmosphere and story. Why do you need to run?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
cpp_is_king said:
The aiming issues are also not an issue at all to a huge number of people. Kind of silly to wait because of something that you're not even sure if it will bother you.
Sullichin said:
true, there's tons of great games out right now. but I'm just suggesting to try it yourself before conceding that the aiming sucks based on someone else's opinion. I think it's fine. Different than the co-op/multiplayer, for sure, but I really didn't have a problem with it.

From watching my friend play you don't start shooting until about 45 minutes in. I don't want to play that long only to find out the shooting does bother me.

Monarch said:
And the missing mb did hurt the graphics for me, it may sounds like nitpicking but i'm very fond of those post-process effect (I just came from Crysis 1, dat blur!). I know it's a bug but Hey, if they had one extra month of polish and testing i'm sure it would have been present day 1.
This is why it seems to me that ND was overwhelmed by the amount of work U3 represented.
MP is great btw.

Like i said in another thread, I blame the games director Justin Richmond. Everything to the workflow of development, to the polish and pacing of the game.

Uncharted 2's game director Bruce Straley should have been the game's director again after all the praise it got. I know one person doesn't make an entire game, but at the end of the day a director has to take what everyone has worked on and fit it all together to make it seamless and enjoyable. The only problem is, he had to follow Uncharted 2's outstanding success.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Uncharted 3 (Got to love the characters) but the whole time I was playing, I was aware of the little nagging issues, as opposed to 2 where I was completely immersed in the gameplay/story from the very beginning.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
deepbrown said:
It has nothing to do with loading. It's to do with atmosphere and story. Why do you need to run?

Why do I need to walk?

Unless you have actual evidence I'm going to continue to believe that it has something to do with loading, at least some of the time.

Just beat it. Never really had too many problems aiming, although I felt like some of my shots were missing when they should've hit, but I always feel like that in FPS and TPS games.

Thoughts:
There were a lot of things I loved in this game, and some that I just was not a fan of. Even though the game was probably just as long as the other two, it felt shorter to me. I felt like the ending cutscene could've been a little longer. The combat was different this time around for both better and for worse. Enemies moved around more which added a bit of difficulty, but at the same time they seemed really stupid at parts. There were also the obnoxious heavy armor guys that you didn't always have the right weapon to beat. Graphics looked way better this time than UC2, which I didn't think was going to be possible. Unfortunately, the game had a few bugs, like the missing subtitles that someone mentioned earlier this page (which sucked for me, not because I'm deaf, but because I have trouble focusing unless I have both words and audio) and then there was a part not long after that where my characters glitched out for a second when kneeling at this box in a cutscene. All in all, not by any means a bad game, but probably deserving of that 8/10 it got that tons of people went insane over. At least it's a game that has some replay value for me, and not just because of multiplayer.

Philia

PigSpeakers said:
Unfortunately, the game had a few bugs, like the missing subtitles that someone mentioned earlier this page (which sucked for me, not because I'm deaf, but because I have trouble focusing unless I have both words and audio) and then there was a part not long after that where my characters glitched out for a second when kneeling at this box in a cutscene. All in all, not by any means a bad game, but probably deserving of that 8/10 it got that tons of people went insane over.

Wow you got that GLITCH too huh. I thought it was comical. I had another glitch earlier too somewhere in the ships level.

But yeah, I agree with all you said, it is a fantastic game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Monarch said:
MP is great btw.

I'm pretty sure god rays are related to a contrast between a light area and a dark area and in an open, completely bright area you wouldn't see them. Especially not around a person.

Anyway, that business aside, I have no trouble believing that ND probably wanted/needed a bit more time before release. They committed to the 11/1/11 date pretty early, and sometimes unforeseen shit just happens.

spidye said:

Master the timing to throw them back so you can do it without thinking. Eventually most grenades felt more like power-ups than threats (although when two or more land simultaneously, things get hairy).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Why do I need to walk?

Unless you have actual evidence I'm going to continue to believe that it has something to do with loading, at least some of the time.
They were going for the cinematic feel. Having the four characters walk slowly in relative formation to the green door is far more dramatic than Drake running ahead while the other three walk slowly. Same thing in the various marketplace sections of the game. Believe what you like but that's pretty much it right there.

And it seems my PS3 just needed a good night's sleep or something. When I loaded up my game today Drake didn't spontaneously grow two more joints in his left shin and I was able to get that last treasure I needed.

A Human Becoming said:
From watching my friend play you don't start shooting until about 45 minutes in. I don't want to play that long only to find out the shooting does bother me.

You know you can save your game right? It's not like you will have to replay those 45 minutes. I guess the only scenario where I can see your actions making sense is if you plan on returning the game.

Of course, your actions don't have to make sense. You are certainly free to do whatever you want. It's just.. pretty weird is all.

Ricky_R

FlashbladeGAF said:
Like i said in another thread, I blame the games director Justin Richmond. Everything to the workflow of development, to the polish and pacing of the game.

Uncharted 2's game director Bruce Straley should have been the game's director again after all the praise it got. I know one person doesn't make an entire game, but at the end of the day a director has to take what everyone has worked on and fit it all together to make it seamless and enjoyable. The only problem is, he had to follow Uncharted 2's outstanding success.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Uncharted 3 (Got to love the characters) but the whole time I was playing, I was aware of the little nagging issues, as opposed to 2 where I was completely immersed in the gameplay/story from the very beginning.

Now that you mention that, I can say that you're right. Uncharted 3 has a problem with direction. Even the pre-rendered cut scenes aren't as well directed as Uncharted 2's.

There's a slight overall lack of polish when it comes to direction, pace and production values. Compared to uncharted 2 of course.

I hope Bruce directs the forth entry.

Loudninja

Ricky_R said:
Now that you mention that, I can say that you're right. Uncharted 3 has a problem with direction. Even the pre-rendered cut scenes aren't as well directed as Uncharted 2's.

There's a slight overall lack of polish when it comes to direction, pace and production values . compared to uncharted 2 of course.

I hope Bruce directs the forth entry.
What?

Monarch

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm pretty sure god rays are related to a contrast between a light area and a dark area and in an open, completely bright area you wouldn't see them. Especially not around a person.

Anyway, that business aside, I have no trouble believing that ND probably wanted/needed a bit more time before release. They committed to the 11/1/11 date pretty early, and sometimes unforeseen shit just happens.

Not sure about your explanation. Just to name a few games that do have God rays even with a bright blue sky: RDR, Just Cause 2, Pacific Rift, Crysis...

Ricky_R

Loudninja said:

Not saying they aren't well directed, but IMO, I feel that Uncharted 2's cut-scenes were better directed in terms of everything. They way they were presented, how the characters moved and interacted with themselves. etc. I just felt like they spent a little more time directing and caressing them.

Not talking about the technical aspect of them. Just in case.

Of course this is just personal opinion.

spidye said:

The best is when you get hit with rocket launcher 2 seconds after a spawn point, in intervals of 2 seconds. Meanwhile, you have snipers, etc behind you. You literally don't have time to bring up your fucking scope, and fight with the aiming system, and get one bullet out of your gun before another rocket is fired, with 1 hit kill of course, throwing you back a mile. Oh, and cover is useless of course. When you miraculously do kill the guy, you get shot-gunned to the head and die instantly. This has nothing to do with skill- it has to to with dying enough times that you develop these idiotic tactics simply to get past, ie. running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

And for those of you saying UC3 looks better.. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. And I'm loading up one after the other. For some reason UC2 looks better to me, and has infinitely less graphical glitches and animation issues. It also seems like all UC2 cutscenes were motion captured, while for UC3 thats not the case, as they often move incredibly robotically. The previous poster that mentioned this is absolutely correct.

Oh, yeah. Did anyone else have audio glitches? I'm not talking about the subs disappearing. Sometimes during the game, my speakers would pop and the audio would sound like it got quieter or the audio went out for a moment. I just want to see if this is a game issue or not.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Monarch said:
Not sure about your explanation. Just to name a few games that do have God rays even with a bright blue sky: RDR, Just Cause 2, Pacific Rift, Crysis...

God rays, in real life, are visible because of a contrast between light and shadow. When you're standing with a friend, and the sun is behind them, do you see god rays around them? Or are they just a simple silhouette? I don't often see god rays in real life.

If other games put god rays around things during all-bright scenes with minimal geometry then maybe they are over-applying the effect.

PigSpeakers said:
Oh, yeah. Did anyone else have audio glitches? I'm not talking about the subs disappearing. Sometimes during the game, my speakers would pop and the audio would sound like it got quieter or the audio went out for a moment. I just want to see if this is a game issue or not.

I've had the sound cut out completely for several seconds, two times now.

megamerican

PigSpeakers said:

Yeah I had this on a few occasions. To be fair I think it happened with every UC game though.

megamerican said:
Yeah I had this on a few occasions. To be fair I think it happened with every UC game though.

I couldn't remember it happening on the first two, but maybe we just got lucky. It wasn't too huge of a thing, but it was disconcerting and took a little away from the experience.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
cpp_is_king said:
You know you can save your game right? It's not like you will have to replay those 45 minutes. I guess the only scenario where I can see your actions making sense is if you plan on returning the game.

Of course, your actions don't have to make sense. You are certainly free to do whatever you want. It's just.. pretty weird is all.
I'd rather not save it, wait a couple weeks for the patch, and then jump back in. I'm really mostly waiting though because I'm playing other stuff.

By the way, the game chose the deception thing pretty well:

From the first moment it's all about telling you to not believe what your eyes see. Cutter shooting Nate&Sully. Talbot pulling tricks like getting shot and not dying (which considering the corpse you find on the Chateau, you may think that it's supernatural related). It's almost like the game screams supernatural to you, but it's all a deception, like mirages. I think everything is explained enough. I mean, people talking about stuff not being well tied, I just don't see it. You don't really need to be fed up with information like mgs4 briefings to understand the story. We get it with 2 lines of Marlowe. Nate doesn't really have Drakes heritage, he just became amazed by him probably from the orphan place named St.Francis (related to Drake most likely), where he learned latin. Troubled childhood, the need of a role model...greatness from small beginnings. It all adds up.

I liked it a lot, and it will surely be better when aiming is fixed.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
PigSpeakers said:
I didn't have any audio issues that I can remember but I had a handfull of minor graphical glitches with the only serious issue being the one I complained about earlier.

Just finished it. Probably on par with U2, which is not a bad thing at all. Plenty of jaw dropping, holy fuck moments, awesome gunplay and the
end scene with Sully/Elena made me tear up.
Naughty Dog truly are masters of their craft. Bra-Fucking-VO!

SpokkX

Completed on normal... It felt like my hard run from U2 though. Easy is way more fun in this game, feels more like the other games on normal really. Could the difficulty settings be messed up because on normal every enemy is a sniper even with a pistol and they can't stop spamming grenades.... Like the old games on hard and above

Wished i played on easy directly, since it removes a lot of frustration and makes the battles actually fun

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
blitzcloud said:
Nate doesn't really have Drakes heritage, he just became amazed by him probably from the orphan place named St.Francis (related to Drake most likely), where he learned latin.
Marlowe never says Nathan isn't related to Sir Francis Drake. She just says Drake isn't Nathan's last name. I'm directly related to President Andrew Taylor and outlaw Jesse James and I don't share either of their surnames.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jive Turkey said:
Marlowe never says Nathan isn't related to Sir Francis Drake. She just says Drake isn't Nathan's last name. I'm directly related to President Andrew Taylor and outlaw Jesse James and I don't share either of their surnames.
As they say, Francis Drake had no officially known descendants, so even if Nate is telling the truth about being an illegitimate descendant of Francis Drake, then of course he wouldn't have the Drake name by lineage. Marlowe's line might be meant to explain that away.

deepbrown

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Why do I need to walk?

There's no evidence anywhere that it's about loading. Not even slightly. The time gained is minimal.

One of the most praised levels in Uncharted 2 is the village, where Drake walks throughout. It's all about pacing and atmosphere. The same is true here and the game is better off for it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
BocoDragon said:
As they say, Francis Drake had no officially known descendants, so even if Nate is telling the truth about being an illegitimate descendant of Francis Drake, then of course he wouldn't have the Drake name by lineage.
Yep. My interpretation was just like the ring: Nate was just taking back what he felt was rightfully his.

deepbrown

BTW the sand really does look incredible. When the camera turns above the sand looking down, it's 'wow, look at that sand' - you can see all the grains. I kept on doing that throughout the rest of those levels and it was still as detailed.

Top Bottom