• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Mit-

My favorite melee scene was the very beginning of the game in the bar :\ Because yeah, there was nobody shooting at you. Otherwise, all those new mechanics go to waste because you'll just get shot to death if you try to utilize them.

Bar fight was amazing though.

gutter_trash said:
the change in melee went for the worse IMO,
now it went towards an Akham direction and meleeing a guy sometimes takes forever while getting shot at
Best Melee is the one in Uncharted 1. It was fast and not intrusive.

Loudninja

Mit- said:
My favorite melee scene was the very beginning of the game in the bar :\ Because yeah, there was nobody shooting at you. Otherwise, all those new mechanics go to waste because you'll just get shot to death if you try to utilize them.

The game has many moments to use the new melee.

Crakatak187 said:
Best Melee is the one in Uncharted 1. It was fast and not intrusive.
Melee in UC1 was garbage to me.

Mit-

Loudninja said:
The game has many moments to use the new melee.
I don't count "forced fight with oversized bald sweater-vest guy" as moments that compare to the bar fight. There was no other moment in the game where you could grab so many pieces of the environment and utilize them, or smash people's heads into things, etc etc.

It's just mash square, maybe hit triangle, or throw them against something and punch them. But most of the time if you draw it out too long you get shot to death. Of course, I only played through the game on hard.

Biggest moment I can think of is when you have to fight a ton of dudes in the harbor or whatever. And that didn't have any environment dynamics to it. Just beat the crap out of a bunch of people and fight a re-skinned bald sweater-vest guy.

deepbrown

UFRA said:
Ok, just finished the game on Normal.

I gotta say, this game started out real strong, had some cool new characters and I was interested in the story.

Once I got to the
part where you were abducted by pirates, I felt that the game went downhill. It lost track from the actual story and just focused on "ok lets ambush the player with 82,954 enemies on all sides and make really cheap deaths." From that point on, it seemed to repeat this formula on almost every enemy encounter, and that was disappointing to me. I'm not playing Uncharted for gigantic battles, I'm playing it for a cool story, a little puzzle solving here and there, and some combat tastefully mixed in. Don't even get me started on how annoying those stupid armored guys were with the shotguns. Dumb.

Surprisingly I feel a bit let down by this one overall. I don't care at all about the multiplayer, so that's what makes it kinda sad.

Interesting how this one has the most developed multiplayer of the 3 and now I feel the story has gone downhill. I had a feeling this would happen.

Overall a good game, but not what I expected from it.

Actual I felt there weren't enough big encounters, didn't think there were enough enemies and felt they could have gone on a lot longer. And on normal I found them too easy - I'm not especially good at games. So, yeah there were so many more encounters, harder and longer ones too, in Uncharted 2.

Also the story and its integration within the gameplay is much stronger in Uncharted 3. So personally I feel you're off the mark.

deepbrown

Mit- said:
I don't count "forced fight with oversized bald sweater-vest guy" as moments that compare to the bar fight. There was no other moment in the game where you could grab so many pieces of the environment and utilize them, or smash people's heads into things, etc etc.

It's just mash square, maybe hit triangle, or throw them against something and punch them. But most of the time if you draw it out too long you get shot to death. Of course, I only played through the game on hard.

Biggest moment I can think of is when you have to fight a ton of dudes in the harbor or whatever. And that didn't have any environment dynamics to it. Just beat the crap out of a bunch of people and fight a re-skinned bald sweater-vest guy.
What about in the market? You can hit them with fish... even a trophy for it.

And on the ship, you can hit them with pans etc.

Mit-

deepbrown said:
What about in the market? You can hit them with fish... even a trophy for it.

And on the ship, you can hit them with pans etc.
Hmm, guess I just didn't reach the edges on the ship. All I remember is a fairly large open space and way too many dudes.

And I honestly can't remember one of those fights in a market :| Guess I need to play again.

deepbrown said:
Actual I felt there weren't enough big encounters, didn't think there were enough enemies and felt they could have gone on a lot longer. And on normal I found them too easy - I'm not especially good at games. So, yeah there were so many more encounters, harder and longer ones too, in Uncharted 2.

You serious? The entire second half of the game aside from maybe 1 chapter was filled with combat scenarios that felt endless. Any more combat like what they did in the 2nd half and I would've hated the campaign, and no it's not because I found them difficult.

deepbrown

Mit- said:
Hmm, guess I just didn't reach the edges on the ship. All I remember is a fairly large open space and way too many dudes.

And I honestly can't remember one of those fights in a market :| Guess I need to play again.
There's melee right after
you're kidnapped by the pirates
... you can then move over towards the kitchen table and hit them with pans :)

Then there's a whole melee only part in Yemen where you're in the market and can hit them with fish.

deepbrown

Net_Wrecker said:
You serious? The entire second half of the game aside from maybe 1 chapter was filled with combat scenarios that felt endless. Any more combat like what they did in the 2nd half and I would've hated the campaign, and no it's not because I found them difficult.
Wow, because I found the combat in Uncharted 2 went on twice as long. Is it because they're endless? I tend to move forward quite quickly.

I honestly felt they ended too soon (and yes I did die)...

Yaska

Net_Wrecker said:
Agreed. I just didn't find that part of the game any fun. Pacing was gone, I was just running from one fight into another all the time.

Loudninja

Net_Wrecker said:
Endless? UC1 and UC2 had much more combat.

deepbrown said:
Wow, because I found the combat in Uncharted 2 went on twice as long. Is it because they're endless? I tend to move forward quite quickly.

I honestly felt they ended too soon (and yes I did die)...

I played chapters 4-18 of Uncharted 2 pretty much right after I finished Uncharted 3, and not one time in those chapters did I feel that the combat went "long." I feel like that multiple times in Uncharted 3 post-chapter 12.

Maybe it's just how much more I like the combat design in Uncharted 2 that's clouding my opinion, but the combat in U3 felt like it went on and on and on and on. When you have Drake complaining about endless waves of dudes, and I as a player am agreeing with him in the wrong way, something's off.

Longshot

Just finished Uncharted 1 tonight, hopefully gonna start UC 2 sometime next week.

Are bullet sponge enemies still an issue in UC 3?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The thing that Arkham does so right is that when you press a button, you instantly hear the punch sound and the enemy takes damage. In UC3 it just feels like you're queuing up the next animation, which gives some people the not entirely accurate feeling that they're just completing a mini-QTE.

deepbrown

Net_Wrecker said:
I played chapters 4-18 of Uncharted 2 pretty much right after I finished Uncharted 3, and not one time in those chapters did I feel that the combat went "long." I feel like that multiple times in Uncharted 3 post-chapter 12.

Maybe it's just how much more I like the combat design in Uncharted 2 that's clouding my opinion, but the combat in U3 felt like it went on and on and on and on. When you have Drake complaining about endless waves of dudes, and I as a player am agreeing with him in the wrong way, something's off.
Honestly, I've played Uncharted 2 multiple times and my one complaint about Uncharted 3 is that the combat doesn't go on long enough. I think it's the one thing that's making the game a 9 hour game, rather than the 12 or so of Uncharted 2.

I was only really getting into it on the boat and in the desert village, and then they stopped.

In a way I actually prefer this balance in UC3. Felt more even among platforming/puzzle/combat.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just starting this game . . . anyone have issues with the 3D? I have no problems with the Arkham 3D but in certain scenes I get a ton of ghosting on the characters in this game. Almost to the point where I have to turn the effect way down. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Playing on a VT25.

deepbrown said:
I was only really getting into it on the boat and in the desert village, and then they stopped.

Heh, those were 2 of my 4 least liked sections of the game. We're obviously on completely different ends of this thing. More power to you if you enjoyed them, but like I said, any more arenas like those and I would probably have flat out hated the game.

deepbrown

Net_Wrecker said:
Heh, those were 2 of my 4 least liked sections of the game. We're obviously on completely different ends of this thing. More power to you if you enjoyed them, but like I said, any more arenas like those and I would probably have flat out hated the game.
It's the nuts and bolts of the game, a shooter game :)

neojubei said:
U2 melee was better
I say it was garbage. It gets you killed all the time in crushing. 4-5 hits in a firefight ughh....

Square, Triangle, Square in Uncharted 1 ftw!
You can do it while getting shot at and live and it can save your life getting you 2x ammunition drops.

deepbrown said:
Honestly, I've played Uncharted 2 multiple times and my one complaint about Uncharted 3 is that the combat doesn't go on long enough. I think it's the one thing that's making the game a 9 hour game, rather than the 12 or so of Uncharted 2.

In a way I actually prefer this balance in UC3. Felt more even among platforming/puzzle/combat.

Well there were people complaining about too much shooting in Uncharted 2...

deepbrown

Crakatak187 said:
I say it was garbage. It gets you killed all the time in crushing. 4-5 hits in a firefight ughh....

Square, Triangle, Square in Uncharted 1 ftw!
You can do it while getting shot at and live and it can save your life getting you 2x ammunition drops.

Well there were people complaining about too much shooting in Uncharted 2...
Yes, of course. And Uncharted 3 has less, hence my confusion at the above comments.

jax (old)

Banned
yeah. not enough shooting in the SP game.

I'm now almost level 69 in the MP game (it sure levels up fast for some reason) - I was nowhere near the top of the UC2 MP game when I gave up.

And ...

the MP shooting is exactly how it should be; easy, quick, accurate. Again; boggles my mind what they did to the SP game.

* treasure hunting. Played a couple of Coop arena and there wasnt a treasure drop all the way to the end... gotta say; that is a bit bullshit. At least get 1/10 kill round. :O

jax (old)

Banned
Replicant said:
Story: This is one area that I feel that ND always miss out on the mark a bit. I like the journey but the final revelation always tends to be a let down. Maybe I'm expecting a bigger shenanigan like Indiana Jones films where the ending is downright exciting and shocking. I think the fact that ND seems hesitant to go full-on with their supernatural element is holding back the series from achieving a pulp-like quality like the Indiana Jones movie. This installment is even more disappointing because
while it's being alluded to, we don't see any supernatural elements, creepy spiders and hallucination aside
. Also, I'm the minority in this but I feel making
Elena a stable companion for Drake this early in the story is a BIG mistake
. I always think the series will benefit from revolving doors of characters/companions so while I welcome
the addition of Charlie Cutter
, I wish ND will go against those fanboys who want Elena to be included on every single installment of this series.s.

prretty good post.. I'm probably going with the 8.5/10 score myself. I'll respond to this bit (STORY)

I personally thought the story was basically let down by a duo of worthless villians who didn't really feel as impactful as lazarevich in 2. Btw Flynn and the warlord; there was a palpable sense of villiany.evil that you had to defeat. Marlowe was a sad old woman who didn't really do anything too terrible and I think there's where the story dropped off. 2 was great all around in terms of its story - at least I thought it was better than say oh; gears 2. The drop off in the final act; with no impactful final fight; or major confrontation with marlowe is where the game really underdelivers. No jeopardy = no really 3rd act. They were trying to hoist something out of water. That is hardly a great thing to stop. And it ended with a cutscene shot of the mechanical arm when instead; they should have had you shoot a bunch of dudes, fight some thing, then SHOOT THE DAMN THING YOURSELF. Not see it happen in a cutscene. Also, save marlowe. Let you mash a button, the bandolier breaks and she dies. Etc etc. So many things wrong with the final act

As for Character relationships; I think the sully/drake story could have been expanded on; why only do child drake+sully? why not show them on a later heist - teen drake+sully. The core isn't filled in enough. As for the elena stuff; I actually don't think she got enough time in the sequel. She was so crucial to 1, and more in 2.. and her, she's grossly underutilised and ... then it was over. I do think they could have done more with the wedding.. even have shown it somehow instead of skirting it in favour of a "semi broken" post marriage relationship.

Game definitley needs more elena.

DonMigs85

deepbrown said:
Maybe he doesn't want to play?
No, he's not getting anything in his Invites tab and vice-versa. We were trying to set up a game. Maybe it's another random bug?
We both redeemed our online passes, of course.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The melee is nice in Uncharted 3 but right after playing Batman:AC... not so much. That's what hurts it the most in my opinion.

jax (old)

Banned
@Naughtydog.

just a quip about the MP game -

when you go legacy; you should NOT lose all your money.
when you pick a voice; you should hear which voice you're picking. Its weird you can't tell. (Custom Hero)

no other issues with it. So good.

Loudninja

Jax said:
@Naughtydog.

when you pick a voice; you should hear which voice you're picking. Its weird you can't tell. (Custom Hero)

no other issues with it. So good.
Huh?You can hear the voices.

Loudninja

Jax said:
I can't hear the voices when I pick voices. Maybe its a bug?

I can only hear the voices when I play the game/MP game and the custom character quips.
Yeah I heard the voices as I was picking one.

deepbrown

Jax said:
prretty good post.. I'm probably going with the 8.5/10 score myself. I'll respond to this bit (STORY)

I personally thought the story was basically let down by a duo of worthless villians who didn't really feel as impactful as lazarevich in 2. Btw Flynn and the warlord; there was a palpable sense of villiany.evil that you had to defeat. Marlowe was a sad old woman who didn't really do anything too terrible and I think there's where the story dropped off. 2 was great all around in terms of its story - at least I thought it was better than say oh; gears 2. The drop off in the final act; with no impactful final fight; or major confrontation with marlowe is where the game really underdelivers. No jeopardy = no really 3rd act. They were trying to hoist something out of water. That is hardly a great thing to stop. And it ended with a cutscene shot of the mechanical arm when instead; they should have had you shoot a bunch of dudes, fight some thing, then SHOOT THE DAMN THING YOURSELF. Not see it happen in a cutscene. Also, save marlowe. Let you mash a button, the bandolier breaks and she dies. Etc etc. So many things wrong with the final act

As for Character relationships; I think the sully/drake story could have been expanded on; why only do child drake+sully? why not show them on a later heist - teen drake+sully. The core isn't filled in enough. As for the elena stuff; I actually don't think she got enough time in the sequel. She was so crucial to 1, and more in 2.. and her, she's grossly underutilised and ... then it was over. I do think they could have done more with the wedding.. even have shown it somehow instead of skirting it in favour of a "semi broken" post marriage relationship.

Game definitley needs more elena.

Yes, would have been nice to hand more control back to the player later on. I always feel that their boss fights and closing moments are a bit rushed.

deepbrown

Jax said:
I can't hear the voices when I pick voices. Maybe its a bug?

I can only hear the voices when I play the game/MP game and the custom character quips.
Select the voice and wait a second, should play.

Gyrian

Jax said:
@Naughtydog.

For anyone out there who's level 75 and not quite sure what going legacy affects, here's a recap.
I did this last night, and of course the game does not explain much of anything.

- You lose all your cash and re-start back up with $10K. Make sure you spend in characters, clothing attachments, taunts, or emblems beforehand.
- You lose all booster levels, even coop ones.
- You must re-buy all your standard weapons and boosters again.
- Your access to weapons and boosters is ruled by your level again, so expect some time with the AK, Para9, and basic boosters.
- Missions reset.

+ You keep all your treasures and unique weapons.
+ You keep all characters, clothing attachments, taunts, and emblems.
+ You gain the entire batch of negative boosters.

jett

D-Member
Gyrian said:
For anyone out there who's level 75 and not quite sure what going legacy affects, here's a recap.
I did this last night, and of course the game does not explain much of anything.

- You lose all your cash and re-start back up with $10K. Make sure you spend in characters, clothing attachments, taunts, or emblems beforehand.
- Your access to weapons and boosters is ruled by your level again, so expect some time with the AK, Para9, and basic boosters.
- Missions reset.

many thanks

i guess if you keep the unique weapons it's not so bad at all

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
In regards to the post Jax made about picking the voices..he's right. It's a bug. Sometimes you won't be able to hear the voices even if you wait a minute. Even if you back out the character customization and try again, it won't sample it.

And another bug...I've only noticed it in the DLC characters (especially Sark), but I'll select a DLC UC2 standard enemy skin, and when I'm put in a match, my character will be completely silent sometimes. Like, he won't make any grunts or talk for the whole match. If I select another villain for the next match, it'll work. Don't know what's up with that.

lol, I'm like number 32 in the cash global leaderboards.

Legacy is still something I won't do. There's no point other than gaining negative boosters, which I don't even care about.

Gyrian

Rewrite said:
Legacy is still something I won't do. There's no point other than gaining negative boosters, which I don't even care about.

What got me was not wanting to waste the XP, after so much given away to the Subway lv35 cap.
There's also the lure of some unique character attachments or whatnot, I'm such a sucker. ;_;

jax (old)

Banned
Gyrian said:

- Missions reset.

thanks for the post!!

fuck me. If I had known that you lose all boosters; I would not have bothered to level them up now. They really... should have made this clear. I didn't even know about the prestige class til today. I levelled deposit to 3 and I levelled my co-op grenade and booster discount to 3. That's a lot of play sessions. To level up the grenade booster you need to kill 10xpeople with the grenade for 1 medal and I think you needed 30. Took a lot of time.

oh wow. That sucks

Is there an ETA on the aiming patch yet?

I just played up to chapter 5 and it felt horrible. HORRIBLE. I can't believe they put out the game like this. It's pretty much impossible to aim. Moreso than that, it felt like the hit detection was way off.

The shooting was so precise and awesome in the past games. What the fuck happened? :(

I have to stop. Can't play it like this. Such a shame. Uncharted and Uncharted 2 I finished in one sitting and now I have to wait for them to make the game playable.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There's clearly a lot less shooting in this game compared to the other two. Or at the very least, the balance has shifted by adding a lot more other segments. It definitely feels that way, and even during the course of shootouts, you're much less reliant on just shooting than you were before. Probably half if not more of enemies in any encounter can be taken down with brawling and/or stealth moves, and is often faster to play it that way.

Just got this game. Really not impressed so far. Music is good, gfx are ok but.not a leap over uc2, more imprtantly, the game is just so similar with no improvements made. Just a mindless bog standard ps3 affair with no depth at all.

The aiming thing sucks and gfx seem so cluttered that u cant make out the details of items on the screen. Im up to ch6 I think and its just a stock 7.5/10 for me. Ill play it once, finish it then never touch it again..

bob page

Mit- said:

Yeah, it can sometimes be pretty ridiculous. They have guys charging at you to try to force melee fights but then when you initiate it, more guys come and just shoot at you while you're punching.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Foliorum Viridum said:
Is there an ETA on the aiming patch yet?

I just played up to chapter 5 and it felt horrible. HORRIBLE. I can't believe they put out the game like this. It's pretty much impossible to aim. Moreso than that, it felt like the hit detection was way off.

The shooting was so precise and awesome in the past games. What the fuck happened? :(

I have to stop. Can't play it like this. Such a shame. Uncharted and Uncharted 2 I finished in one sitting and now I have to wait for them to make the game playable.

We're still waiting to hear from arne on the patch.

Phat Michael said:
Just got this game. Really not impressed so far. Music is good, gfx are ok but.not a leap over uc2, more imprtantly, the game is just so similar with no improvements made. Just a mindless bog standard ps3 affair with no depth at all.

The aiming thing sucks and gfx seem so cluttered that u cant make out the details of items on the screen. Im up to ch6 I think and its just a stock 7.5/10 for me. Ill play it once, finish it then never touch it again..

They are. Go back and play UC2. I noticed a difference immediately, namely the character models.

What a shame. I really enjoyed what I played so far -
young Drake, snooping through the London Underground
, etc etc was all really well done. I simply cannot tolerate the broken controls, however.

Seems like ND dropped the ball.

Top Bottom