• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yes it desperately needs a switch target button (like in Demon's Souls). It's been a problem in every game in the series.

Clocked it not 5 minutes ago.

It was categorically average; nothing more, nothing less. It did everything UC2 did before it, but nowhere near as well, even ruining some facets along the way (gunplay and general fluidity/certainty of movement being the most notable victims).

The ending especially was severely underwhelming. As annoying as the Lazarevic fight was, it was still miles ahead of
the pathetic QTE that was the Talbot encounter
. I mean, really, ND? Really?

In the end, it was just anything but a memorable experience. "Normal" - or whatever the fuck you want to call this extremely sporadic difficulty setting - took you out of the action way too much with cheap deaths and some serious balancing issues. I'm out in the open for 3 seconds and I get done by ONE guy with a pistol? No. Stop fucking me, game. I'm trying to "enjoy" the pacing and story (both mediocre), but you won't let me, will you?

Look, maybe I'm being dramatic, but I wouldn't be as irate as I am now were this game not getting such hyperbolic praise. It was worse than UC2; it's a sequel; it should be as good, if not better and it was neither on every front.

So, power to you if you think this is GOTY material; I just couldn't disagree more.

jett

D-Member
As annoying as the Lazarevic fight was, it was still miles ahead of
the pathetic QTE that was the Talbot encounter.
I mean, really, ND? Really?

What? Fuck no.
It's a brawl fight just like any other in the game
. It wins over Lazarevich because it doesn't give me murderous thoughts regarding those responsible.

RDreamer

mickcenary said:
The ending especially was severely underwhelming. As annoying as the Lazarevic fight was, it was still miles ahead of

No. No no no no no. NO. I will fight anyone that likes that awful, awful fight. Lazarevic was an awful, awful stain on this series. Even ND themselves admitted there was something wrong with it (watch the bonus round stuff with them). This solution was much, much better. Not perfect, mind you (Uc1 was much better), but it was light years ahead of Lazarevic.

mickcenary said:
In the end, it was just anything but a memorable experience. "Normal" - or whatever the fuck you want to call this extremely sporadic difficulty setting - took you out of the action way too much with cheap deaths and some serious balancing issues. I'm out in the open for 3 seconds and I get done by ONE guy with a pistol? No. Stop fucking me, game. I'm trying to "enjoy" the pacing and story (both mediocre), but you won't let me, will you?

What? A guy with a pistol shouldn't be killing you. That's probably a problem with you. Shotgun guy I could accept doing you in pretty quickly, but pistol guy on normal? Yeah, this is some hyperbole.

jett said:
What? Fuck no.
. It wins over Lazarevich because it doesn't give me murderous thoughts regarding those responsible.

I played through the UC2 the first time like a week ago, and didn't have any negative thoughts about the final boss battle. It was intense, challenging, and the concept was pretty decent. I much preferred this over an extended QTE. Then I come here, and I find out for some reason gaf hates that fight, and loves the extended QTE- which you guys usually hate on. Whatever. At least UC2 had a final boss. The talbot fight was pretty bullshit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jett said:
What? Fuck no.

Agreed. I died so many times on UC2 end boss :/

mickcenary said:
Clocked it not 5 minutes ago.

It was categorically average; nothing more, nothing less. It did everything UC2 did before it, but nowhere near as well, even ruining some facets along the way (gunplay and general fluidity/certainty of movement being the most notable victims).

Look, maybe I'm being dramatic, but I wouldn't be as irate as I am now were this game not getting such hyperbolic praise. It was worse than UC2; it's a sequel; it should be as good, if not better and it was neither on every front.

So, power to you if you think this is GOTY material; I just couldn't disagree more.

My thoughts exactly. And I'm probably the most 'objective' person possible when it comes to these 2 games, as I first played 3, then 2. I thought 3 was great cause it was the first UC game I ever played- then I played the 2nd, and it fucking blew me away and made me re-assess UC3 as mediocre. I had no expectations going into either game, so my opinions were completely based on the experience. The telling this is how blown away I was by UC2 even AFTER playing UC3. Thats not supposed to happen. It was a more fluid experience by every single measure imaginable.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I played through the UC2 the first time like a week ago, and didn't have any negative thoughts about the final boss battle. It was intense, challenging, and the concept was pretty decent. I much preferred this over an extended QTE. Then I come here, and I find out for some reason gaf hates that fight, and loves the extended QTE- which you guys usually hate on. Whatever. At least UC2 had a final boss. The talbot fight was pretty bullshit.

I feel exactly the same way. At least it was an actual boss fight; it was challenging and it had an actual mechanic behind it, rather than just pressing one fucking button at the right time. Think about that.

We're not playing Heavy Rain here, men; we're playing Uncharted, but for that moment, it simply wasn't Uncharted; it was an embarrassment and an insult to me, putting in the hours and rewarding me with a piss-poor "climax".

RDreamer

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
My thoughts exactly. And I'm probably the most 'objective' person possible when it comes to these 2 games, as I first played 3, then 2. I thought 3 was great cause it was the first UC game I ever played- then I played the 2nd, and it fucking blew me away and made me re-assess UC3 as mediocre. I had no expectations going into either game, so my opinions were completely based on the experience. The telling this is how blown away I was by UC2 even AFTER playing UC3. Thats not supposed to happen. It was a more fluid experience by every single measure imaginable.

Were you the guy from earlier that I said this to? Either way, even though I love all the games, including and especially 3, it doesn't surprise me that someone wouldn't be that blown away by 3 if it was their first one. 3s charm comes from the relationships between some of the characters, and there's a really neat element there, especially with one of the early chapters. If you're coming in new you get absolutely none of the enjoyment that someone who went through the first two got from that. None. Uc3 absolutely relies on that. That you'd love 2 after playing 3 and think it was awesome still is no surprise to me at all. You now know the characters a bit more, and also 2 doesn't rely so much on you knowing them. It helps, I suppose, and I'll always recommend someone play 1 before 2, but I will absolutely 100% recommend that people have to play 1 and 2 before truly being able to appreciate what 3 brought to the table on first play through.

iLLmAtlc

Man I remember beating UC2 on crushing and the last boss really made me wonder if I could do it lol. It was really frustrating at the time because you know this is the last obstacle but the bastard just kept lobbing BS grenades at me from across the map lol.

In any event I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but there were some parts in Uncharted 3 that really seemed like some of the cheapest scenarios I've ever had to go through in a video game. Some of the shootouts in the desert just before you find
the gates to Ubar
is one of them.

RDreamer

iLLmAtlc said:
In any event I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but there were some parts in Uncharted 3 that really seemed like some of the cheapest scenarios I've ever had to go through in a video game. Some of the shootouts in the desert just before you find
the gates to Ubar
is one of them.

Really? I didn't think that was so hard at all on crushing...

I just went right, took out the guy on top of the thing, too his tau, grabbed the RPG and took out the first vehicle. Then I jumped down and took out another guy (or possibly two) on that side and ran to the other side, and took out another guy. Then I grabbed the RPG and took out the next vehicle, and take out a few more guys up there with the tau. A lot of the guys you can get really quickly with that or one of the other guns if you just fire at the lasers in the distance. Not even remotely that memorable in difficulty compared to some other points throughout the rest of the series, I thought

RDreamer said:
Uc3 absolutely relies on that.

Dude, your points are valid, but you're essentially also highlighting exactly what is wrong with the game. UC2 stood on its own. You could strip away the characters and the plot and you would still have a near sublimely controlling shooter and platformer with exponentially better set-pieces.

The same can't be said about UC3. And in my mind, that simply renders it the weaker game; and I really don't think that such a claim on such grounds is that fanciful. Rather, it's the most logical conclusion.

EDIT: Regarding Lazarevic, I can understand you harbouring ill-feelings towards that fight if you went through it on Crushing, but on any of the lower difficulty settings, it really isn't that bad. It's a standard boss fight, whereas
Talbot
was a fucking Goon fisticuff fight that you can get anywhere in the game. How can anyone look past that?

jax (old)

Banned
jett said:
What? Fuck no.

I agree with mick re: lazarevich though. I had more fun with the U2 boss. And I never had problems with him. Not on hard/crushing and I didn't glitch it too. In fact; I was like "wtf 3 grenades?" when I read about it. I never gave him the chance to throw them.

The final boss fight/chapters in U3 is weak.

Even the navarro fight is more meaningful. At least you had to get to him first and it felt like a real ramp up to the end fight. And it was also more or less
QTE
and better than the U3 boss..

you watch a
QTE fight?
Go look at how to do it in RE4 leon vs krauser. Not the weakshit here.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I completely agree. U2 boss fight is the best Uncharted boss fight. It may not have been inspired, but I found it intense and challenging.

Kogepan

iLLmAtlc said:
Man I remember beating UC2 on crushing and the last boss really made me wonder if I could do it lol. It was really frustrating at the time because you know this is the last obstacle but the bastard just kept lobbing BS grenades at me from across the map lol.

the gates to Ubar
is one of them.

how was that 'cheap'? there are RPG-7s and M32 hammers all over the place and also a PAK-80. and the laser snipers don't even move from the perch and are easy to pick off.

Again, im surprised at this talk because to me Uncharted 3 was easily the easiest of the three games in terms of difficulty. Piles and piles of ammo and grenades everywhere, unlike the first couple games where ammo for the quality guns were hard to find. Also the grenade throwback ability.

Kogepan

BruiserBear said:
I completely agree. U2 boss fight is the best Uncharted boss fight. It may not have been inspired, but I found it intense and challenging.

i thought the UC2 boss fight was completely cheap and basically unplayable on crushing. i had to go on youtube to find a CHEAP strategy to finally beat it.

Finished it last week and I'm about half way through a second playthrough on hard to let it sink in.

I won't lie, the first time I played it I was...underwhelmed. However the second playthrough, with the pacing more in mind, knowing where it's going and how it resolves I like it a lot more. I wouldn't say it's my favourite Uncharted but I actually wouldn't say that about any of them. At this point I love all of them equally and the reality they exist in.

I didn't really have any problem with the aiming, and actually replayed a bit of the first and it's surprisingly similar. That youtube video of the guy wiggling the analogue stick a lot and the reticule not deviating much? The same trick works in the first. Certainly there are parts of the game that are sloppy, I noticed a lot more glitches including
Talbot flying through the air in the chase scene
and the game has actually crashed on me twice, at the same point, one after the other. Odd.

However the replay has shown me how much I like the combat scenarios and how the game likes to shake you up in terms of placing, environment and enemy types, changing things around to manipulate your emotions from desperate to powerful. One thing I've found with all the games is that hiding in cover and taking potshots is actually the wrong way to go about a lot of combat scenarios. They seemed designed in mind with the player actively taking the role of the Indy hero type-aiming a few, blindfire to get people to back off, vaulting over cover, running, sliding, ducking and punching your way to a new position. In fact the game that most lept to mind was Vanquish, as in that you're meant to be mobile and the kinetic energy of the gunfights is what pulls it all together. At least in my opinion.

As for the story a lot of people said that the 12-15th chapters felt unconnected to the story. Maybe in a literal plot sense (although
being kidnapped and waking up somewhere random
is certainly a trope of the genre) although I also disagree with that. We've seen Marlowe utterly refuse to get her hands dirty previously when
Cutter shot Drake and Sully
so these chapters felt like a spot on piece of character work from her. Of course she'd use someone else. She's a lady of culture. However on a thematic sense it works brilliantly, the theme of deception is all over the place here, with the level itself even subverting expectations (unless you saw the trailers ha ha ha). And, like Indy 3, we see a hefty bit of character development for Drake. He realises that the prize isn't, and shouldn't be, some nameless treasure. The artifact he's suddenly driven to find, and is for the rest of the game, is his father figure. So there's that. These chapters also allow a realistic reason for the
headstart Marolowe's crew get that means Drake has to take a plane, gets lost in the desert and so on and so on
. Really what I'm saying is that these levels felt anything but unessential in terms of plot, at least as far as I could see them. Thematically and eventfully they're vital.

Finally I loved the theme of deception throughout the story, this certainly felt like the strongest Uncharted in that regard. Everything served that idea. In fact the thing I loved most was at the end
we never find out what, if anything was in the jar. It really showed Drake's development that by that point he really didn't care about knowing the secret, he cared about getting Sully out.

I think at this point that it's perfectly clear that Naughty Dog are willing to fluff some gameplay "musts", like a final boss fight, for thematic and story relevance. That's been clear for some time, and really I think the problem most people (I didn't) had with Lozarovich was how completely out of whack he was with the rest of the game. Here the final boss pulls on something you already knew, provides a nice thematic relevance to Drake
someone acting/pretending to be greater than they are and showing that they are both men. Talbot's mirroring of Drake's character was really interesting I though. Their elder mentors who they both cared for, both operating under an "illusion" that they present to the world. Drake moving beyond that and becoming, living up to, his hero is what allows him to win.
Good writing really.

Anyway I'm on PSN as Captain_Spanky if anyone feels like a bit of multiplayer. I'm a Brit so that'll affect hours.

RDreamer

mickcenary said:
Dude, your points are valid, but you're essentially also highlighting exactly what is wrong with the game. UC2 stood on its own. You could strip away the characters and the plot and you would still have a near sublimely controlling shooter and platformer with exponentially better set-pieces.

The same can't be said about UC3. And in my mind, that simply renders it the weaker game; and I really don't think that such a claim on such grounds is that fanciful. Rather, it's the most logical conclusion.

Yeah, 2 has much better aiming. I'll give you that. I still don't know how they didn't realize the aiming was off in this.

I'm not sure how you can really call any of the Uncharted games platformers. They're really not. It's too automated.

And better set-pieces? I suppose that's an opinion. But exponentially? No. Just, no. I found the biggest showcase set-piece in Uc2, the train, to be slightly annoying, and one of my least favorite parts in the entire series.

And I'm only highlighting things story wise, really. Yes, the story is definitely better if you know the characters. The story in 2 is also better if you know the characters, and now that guy knows the characters (albeit not in the correct order, but still), so of course he'll like Uc2 a bit better. 3 is more intimate with the relationships, so you gain more the more you know of them.

And I don't really agree with saying a game has to stand on its own to be a hands down better game. We've reached game 3, here. There are going to be things that will be better if you've played them all, and there will be things that will be significantly better if you've played them all. It has to be that way, or else they're not continuing or they're not using your investment well enough, I think.

And as for Uc2's boss, it was horrendous. You run in circles shooting someone for like 5+ minutes. You have to hit him an astounding amount of times (I think somewhere like 15-16 times in hard/crushing), and there's no freaking checkpoint, so if you get a cheap grenade lobbed at you or get hit from across the tiny ass map with a shotgun too many times, you get to do it all over again! It was awful. Honestly, awful. And I don't really need a boss fight in my Uncharted games. Other games have enough of those. I don't mind the kind of lack of one.

Kogepan said:
how was that 'cheap'? there are RPG-7s and M32 hammers all over the place and also a PAK-80. and the laser snipers don't even move from the perch and are easy to pick off.

Again, im surprised at this talk because to me Uncharted 3 was easily the easiest of the three games in terms of difficulty. Piles and piles of ammo and grenades everywhere, unlike the first couple games where ammo for the quality guns were hard to find. Also the grenade throwback ability.

Yeah, this is absolutely true. 3 is one of the easier ones because the power weapons are freaking everywhere when you need them and even if you don't get one you're given tons of grenades to throw back. Even if you suck at hitting anyone with them while throwing 'em back, it's just another instance you don't have to move from your spot like the other games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Captain_Spanky said:
Finished it last week and I'm about half way through a second playthrough on hard to let it sink in.

I won't lie, the first time I played it I was...underwhelmed. However the second playthrough, with the pacing more in mind, knowing where it's going and how it resolves I like it a lot more. I wouldn't say it's my favourite Uncharted but I actually wouldn't say that about any of them. At this point I love all of them equally and the reality they exist in.

I didn't really have any problem with the aiming, and actually replayed a bit of the first and it's surprisingly similar. That youtube video of the guy wiggling the analogue stick a lot and the reticule not deviating much? The same trick works in the first. Certainly there are parts of the game that are sloppy, I noticed a lot more glitches including
and the game has actually crashed on me twice, at the same point, one after the other. Odd.

However the replay has shown me how much I like the combat scenarios and how the game likes to shake you up in terms of placing, environment and enemy types, changing things around to manipulate your emotions from desperate to powerful. One thing I've found with all the games is that hiding in cover and taking potshots is actually the wrong way to go about a lot of combat scenarios. They seemed designed in mind with the player actively taking the role of the Indy hero type-aiming a few, blindfire to get people to back off, vaulting over cover, running, sliding, ducking and punching your way to a new position. In fact the game that most lept to mind was Vanquish, as in that you're meant to be mobile and the kinetic energy of the gunfights is what pulls it all together. At least in my opinion.

As for the story a lot of people said that the 12-15th chapters felt unconnected to the story. Maybe in a literal plot sense (although
is certainly a trope of the genre) although I also disagree with that. We've seen Marlowe utterly refuse to get her hands dirty previously when
so these chapters felt like a spot on piece of character work from her. Of course she'd use someone else. She's a lady of culture. However on a thematic sense it works brilliantly, the theme of deception is all over the place here, with the level itself even subverting expectations (unless you saw the trailers ha ha ha). And, like Indy 3, we see a hefty bit of character development for Drake. He realises that the prize isn't, and shouldn't be, some nameless treasure. The artifact he's suddenly driven to find, and is for the rest of the game, is his father figure. So there's that. These chapters also allow a realistic reason for the
headstart Marolowe's crew get that means Drake has to take a plane, gets lost in the desert and so on and so on
. Really what I'm saying is that these levels felt anything but unessential in terms of plot, at least as far as I could see them. Thematically and eventfully they're vital.

Finally I loved the theme of deception throughout the story, this certainly felt like the strongest Uncharted in that regard. Everything served that idea. In fact the thing I loved most was at the end
we never find out what, if anything was in the jar. It really showed Drake's development that by that point he really didn't care about knowing the secret, he cared about getting Sully out.

Anyway I'm on PSN as Captain_Spanky if anyone feels like a bit of multiplayer. I'm a Brit so that'll affect hours.

Nicely said.
I had the same feeling after finishing 3.

jax (old)

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:
We've seen Marlowe utterly refuse to get her hands dirty previously when
so these chapters felt like a spot on piece of character work from her. Of course she'd use someone else. She's a lady of culture.

um, bitch tried to
burn charlie cutter to death
or did you miss that?

Jax said:
um, bitch tried to
burn charlie cutter to death
or did you miss that?

He was a traitor so I imagine she felt he warranted a display of power. She's all about the appearances and the show. She also slaps Drake as a kid. She does these things when no one is around to catch her at it. A driving theme of the story is how we present ourselves to others and want to be seen. So I don't think it was inconsistent, the opposite in fact. So call it apt punishment for a traitor, a slipping of the mask of "high society" she wears to show the vulgar thug beneath or yet another mind game. I still think it was in character.

Ricky_R

Captain_Spanky said:

I think at this point that it's perfectly clear that Naughty Dog are willing to fluff some gameplay "musts", like a final boss fight, for thematic and story relevance. That's been clear for some time, and really I think the problem most people (I didn't) had with Lozarovich was how completely out of whack he was with the rest of the game. Here the final boss pulls on something you already knew, provides a nice thematic relevance to Drake
someone acting/pretending to be greater than they are and showing that they are both men. Talbot's mirroring of Drake's character was really interesting I though. Their elder mentors who they both cared for, both operating under an "illusion" that they present to the world. Drake moving beyond that and becoming, living up to, his hero is what allows him to win.
Good writing really.

Nice read... I agree.

RDreamer said:
Yeah, 2 has much better aiming. I'll give you that. I still don't know how they didn't realize the aiming was off in this.

I'm not sure how you can really call any of the Uncharted games platformers. They're really not. It's too automated.

And better set-pieces? I suppose that's an opinion. But exponentially? No. Just, no. I found the biggest showcase set-piece in Uc2, the train, to be slightly annoying, and one of my least favorite parts in the entire series.

And I'm only highlighting things story wise, really. Yes, the story is definitely better if you know the characters. The story in 2 is also better if you know the characters, and now that guy knows the characters (albeit not in the correct order, but still), so of course he'll like Uc2 a bit better. 3 is more intimate with the relationships, so you gain more the more you know of them.

And I don't really agree with saying a game has to stand on its own to be a hands down better game. We've reached game 3, here. There are going to be things that will be better if you've played them all, and there will be things that will be significantly better if you've played them all. It has to be that way, or else they're not continuing or they're not using your investment well enough, I think.

And as for Uc2's boss, it was horrendous. You run in circles shooting someone for like 5+ minutes. You have to hit him an astounding amount of times (I think somewhere like 15-16 times in hard/crushing), and there's no freaking checkpoint, so if you get a cheap grenade lobbed at you or get hit from across the tiny ass map with a shotgun too many times, you get to do it all over again! It was awful. Honestly, awful. And I don't really need a boss fight in my Uncharted games. Other games have enough of those. I don't mind the kind of lack of one.

Shooter, platformer, shooter with platforming elements... You're right, but that's irrelevant, seeing as virtually every aspect was not as well executed as it was in UC2.

And it's not like UC2 was so undeveloped at that point that you couldn't enjoy the characters, banter, story, etc. It still had charm and a certain chemistry that is unique to this series in spades, so I think they were as enjoyable as each other in that regard.

It's like judging song writing on the basis of lyrics, rather than the music itself. UC3 was - in comparison to UC2 - discordant, repetitive and with a drummer that couldn't quite nail the fills, yet the lyrics were just as poetic. That's not to say that UC3 controlled horribly; it didn't by any stretch, but it was a definite step back, which is a HUGE shame.

As for the set-pieces, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I, for one, think that the 'Tank Cat & Mouse' in UC2 was the highlight of the game and it simply demolished anything that UC3 threw at me. Other moments such exploring the icy caves with Tenzin were also much better, in my opinion.

iLLmAtlc

Kogepan said:

My memory's a bit hazy on it but I think it was the part where there were two tanks, but you only had one RPG. Then, if you continued along the part on the right I just remember feeling overwhelmed because the tank was shooting at you along with a bunch of guys from multiple angles and then they throw the armour shotgun guy at you too. I think I only managed to beat it on Hard by getting off two fluke grenades to kill the shotgun guy and just sprinted towards the
gates.

But I just read how someone else did it and I wasn't aware there was another RPG on the other side lol.

Oh and I totally lost my shit when in chapter 18
Marlowe read from The Waste Land. That's my all time favourite poem and it was used so well.

Oh and one other cool thing I noticed. In the extras they mention that Uncharted 2 was essentially an extrapolation of one 30 second scene from the first Uncharted (the jeep blowing up and flying over Drake's head). What I liked about the third is that they pulled a similar trick here with the village scene from 2. They had the confidence to actually slow the game down a lot more here and let you walk about and soak up the atmosphere. It worked like gangbusters in 2 in setting up a brilliant tonal shift when the village gets invaded and seeing them use and expand that idea, of slow gameplay, was really something. I never, in my life, thought I'd play a level of a game
about a man starving and dehydrating in the desert that was actually slow, ponderous and difficult to get through. It was overwhelming and they managed to make it last just long enough to get boring and opressive so that you feel elated when you find something

Ricky_R

iLLmAtlc said:
My memory's a bit hazy on it but I think it was the part where there were two tanks, but you only had one RPG. Then, if you continued along the part on the right I just remember feeling overwhelmed because the tank was shooting at you along with a bunch of guys from multiple angles and then they throw the armour shotgun guy at you too. I think I only managed to beat it on Hard by getting off two fluke grenades to kill the shotgun guy and just sprinted towards the
gates.

But I just read how someone else did it and I wasn't aware there was another RPG on the other side lol.

Tanks??? There are no tanks in Uncharted 3. That I know of.

Are you referring to the part where you're inside a
"Sandstorm"? Just before reaching Ubar?

It seems like ND used this game as a way to outdo the set pieces from U2 - and I think for the most part they succeeded in that area. But what I think they really should have done was focus more on story - even if that means sacrificing a bunch of the set pieces. I feel if the story was amazing, people would overlook the lacking set pieces. It seems like they took the popular/easy way out and should have just stuck it to everyone and did what they wanted. Like they are for their other project...

UrbanRats

iLLmAtlc said:
gates.

There are
two rpgs, one on the right, and one on the left, at the very beginning.

iLLmAtlc

Yeah it's in the sandstorm that you refer to dude. I'm not sure if they were tanks, but definitely armoured vehicles with automatic fire.

It probably would have went a lot beter had I found the second RPG but I didn't and yeah, I just remember feeling overwhelmed. Especially when you're trying to take cover while you're on the right side, but the guys are coming at you from multiple angles and you still have the tank spraying shots at you, then they throw the bloody shotgun at you!

RDreamer

mickcenary said:
As for the set-pieces, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I, for one, think that the 'Tank Cat & Mouse' in UC2 was the highlight of the game and it simply demolished anything that UC3 threw at me. Other moments such exploring the icy caves with Tenzin were also much better, in my opinion.

Tank cat & mouse was cool, I suppose, but I actually come from a strange point where I actually liked the series for its arena style battles. When Uc2 came out I was kind of disappointed at the lack of that until the very end. And the tank part is another part of that run and gun style that Uc2 did that I wasn't as much a fan of. But, again, that does say as much, so I did like that set piece. Actually, I loved that set piece. But I wouldn't say it was exponentially better than 3's set pieces, nor would I ever say it demolished anything in Uc3.

And yeah, I do wish UC3 had a nice big exploration moment like the ice caves. Those were great. Something like that should have really been somewhere near the end of 3 in order to break things up.

But, again, don't take what I'm saying as ever putting down Uc2 (except lazarevic fight. I'll put that down all day). Personally I love all 3 of the games, because they all 3 exceed at something different. None of them really have the same mood, and none of them really have the same sort of gameplay to me. Sure they're all similar in that department, but I think they each accomplish different things well enough. I love the series because it managed to have a pretty good variety despite sticking to a pretty similar structure in all 3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really enjoyed Tank and Mouse on my first playthrough, but on my second I tried other things and broke the setpiece. I watched my friend play it on his first time and he got confused where to go.

RDreamer

Darknessbear said:
It seems like ND used this game as a way to outdo the set pieces from U2 - and I think for the most part they succeeded in that area. But what I think they really should have done was focus more on story - even if that means sacrificing a bunch of the set pieces. I feel if the story was amazing, people would overlook the lacking set pieces. It seems like they took the popular/easy way out and should have just stuck it to everyone and did what they wanted. Like they are for their other project...

I think the story only needed a few tweaks to get it closer to what people may have wanted. I'll agree it was a bit more disjointed than it should have been.

The problem I think is that in both 1 and 2 you're only following the clues left by one person in each game (Drake and Polo respectively), and there's only really 1 other force that had been searching for that in the past, too (the Germans in both, coincidentally). In 3 you get kind of confused in that you're following Francis Drake, John Dee, Lawrence of Arabia, and then there's the 2 random crusaders. I'm not saying it's hard to follow, but it's all slightly jumbled compared to literally just following what one dude did.

The other problem is Ramses. I love that section and realize it needs to be there, and I still think it should be there, but they really needed to give Ramses both a little more time and a little more of a reason. His reason for taking Drake was kind of weird in that he was sitting right there when they said that Sully had the info on where the city is. You could say he didn't believe him (and them I guess), but he didn't even acknowledge that much.

Change those two things and the story becomes A LOT more solid, and mixed with the wonderful handling of the relationships and this would be the best story of the 3. Without those changes and it's kind of hard for me to say.

Y2Kev said:
I really enjoyed Tank and Mouse on my first playthrough, but on my second I tried other things and broke the setpiece. I watched my friend play it on his first time and he got confused where to go.

Yeah, it was quite easy to break. I watched my friend play that section too and he had absolutely no clue where to go and kept getting killed easily. He was kind of angry at that whole section, actually, and really didn't understand it at all.

Ricky_R

iLLmAtlc said:
Yeah it's in the sandstorm that you refer to dude. I'm not sure if they were tanks, but definitely armoured vehicles with automatic fire.

It probably would have went a lot beter had I found the second RPG but I didn't and yeah, I just remember feeling overwhelmed. Especially when you're trying to take cover while you're on the right side, but the guys are coming at you from multiple angles and you still have the tank spraying shots at you, then they throw the bloody shotgun at you!

Ok well... There are 2 RPG's there at the beginning of that area and both are placed on top of the small "buildings" on each side (left one has an enemy on top). Just move around and use the machine gun pauses as a chance to kill dudes and move while you find the RPG's.

It can be annoying when those damn machine guns are ridiculously accurate, but it's quite easy when you figure it out. As in "when you find both RPG's".

RDreamer said:
and mixed with the wonderful handling of the relationships and this would be the best story of the 3.

They handled Sully and Drake relationship exquisitely this time around.
Aside from the obviously surprising and wonderful Cartagena flashback, they concentrated heavily on their relationship since the beginning. You can start seeing it clearly just after they escape the Chateau. That cut-scene seemed simple, but I think it set the emotional tone between them.

RDreamer

Ricky_R said:
They handled Sully and Drake relationship exquisitely this time around.
Aside from the obviously surprising and wonderful Cartagena flashback, they concentrated heavily on their relationship since the beginning. You can start seeing it clearly just after they escape the Chateau. That cut-scene seemed simple, but I think it set the emotional tone between them.

They really, really did. Both Sully & Drake and Elena & Drake were really handled better than any relationships I've seen in games.

The scene in Yemen between Drake and Elena is possibly my favorite relationship scene in any game ever. It says so much with so little. But stuff like the ending with Sully was absolutely wonderful, too. I especially like the touch where Drake continues to joke, but Sully tells him to be serious for a second. It just works so well for both characters.

betweenthewheels said:
Damn, every online co-op game I enter inevitably ends with my character frozen, no buttons work except for the PS button.

Anyone come across this?

Happened to me in deathmatch earlier. It was lame.

Really I think, for me, Uncharted 3's biggest problem was coming after Batman: Arkham City. I was, and still am, completely fucking floored by that game, much as I was the first. It's a shame that Uncharted 3 has to battle its own predecessors' reputation but also that of a game with similar shock value in terms of brilliance. And the fact that Uncharted 3 clearly drew inspiration in a number of areas from Rocksteady's series (the combat and
hallucinations
really.). The climax did feel too close to Uncharted 2 at points for me as well so I guess what I'm saying is Uncharted 3 did lack a certain originality and shock of quality that other games have benefited from.

Just tempering my earlier praise I guess, didn't want it all in one massive post.

Zertez

Looks like Sony is doing their best to make sure people dont forget about Uncharted 3. Flipping between Monday Night Football, Pawn Stars and American Chopper, I caught the UC3 commercial on all 3 stations at the same time. Guess Sony bought the same time slot on many channels for different demographics. heh

Ricky_R

RDreamer said:
They really, really did. Both Sully & Drake and Elena & Drake were really handled better than any relationships I've seen in games.

The scene in Yemen between Drake and Elena is possibly my favorite relationship scene in any game ever. It says so much with so little. But stuff like the ending with Sully was absolutely wonderful, too. I especially like the touch where Drake continues to joke, but Sully tells him to be serious for a second. It just works so well for both characters.

Exactly... I thought it was damn cool of them to finally dig a bit deeper between those 2 relationships.

That Elena and Drake scene was so good, and I agree with Sully and Drake convo at the end too. Those interactions made the whole experience so much real this time around. For the first time in the franchise I actually felt like they (characters) had something to lose. I didn't feel like that at the end of Uncharted 2 with Elena even though I wanted to feel it.

mickcenary said:
. I mean, really, ND? Really?.
No. The Lazarevic fight was much worse. It was an annoying gimmicky thing with a progressively more annoying Boss character that belonged in a Mario game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Honestly, the final fights are always terrible. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Naughty Dog needs to make the final encounter like the cat & mouse tank sequence in UC2. You know, make it dynamic where the player is playing a set piece. It's the ending for crying out loud...make the boss so that they're in a helicopter...make it a chase scene...you know...exciting. The last encounters are always a disappointment. UC3's final boss was better than 2's, but that's not really saying much. IMO, UC2 had better mini 'bosses'. The tank sequence alone was amazing and memorable. I really enjoyed the chase scenes, so maybe they could have incorporated that into the final encounter, especially
when everything is falling apart
. Would have made it so much better. Still, it's the best final boss in the series. Also,
when you finish off Talbot and you have control again...that shit lasted like five seconds. WTF was the point? You just jump and that's it. I was like, "That was it?" I wanted to keep playing for at least another minute of trying to get out especially compared to Shambala's escape scene. :\

Captain_Spanky said:
I never, in my life, thought I'd play a level of a game
about a man starving and dehydrating in the desert that was actually slow, ponderous and difficult to get through. It was overwhelming and they managed to make it last just long enough to get boring and opressive so that you feel elated when you find something

Yeah, except that
YOU NEVER FIND GOOD WATER!
I know I'm being repetitive but they spent like 10 minutes of non-gameplay interactive fiction time hammering on that point . . . and then fail to resolve it.

mickcenary said:

Agreed. I wasn't even having fun towards the end, and just wanted to finish it as quickly as possible. All the praise led me to believe that I might love it even more than U2, but so many sections in the 2nd half are crap. I started my 2nd playthrough and just dropped it for the MGS HD COllection instead. I'm honestly shocked at how much I dislike certain areas of the game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Regarding Talbot,
his hilarious epic NOOOOO when Marlowe dies has me laughing nonstop. That shit is the weakest scene in the game...so forced and meaningless. Why does he care so much about Marlowe?! They never explain shit. Marlowe was a disappointment too. ND really needs to give us more info about the villains next time.

Replicant

thetechkid said:
So does anyone else think Talbot looks like evil Drake or is that just me?

Nope. His design baffles me as well. I thought towards the end, we'll get some kind of explanation about why their design is almost similar but nope, Nothing. But why make him look so similar-looking to Nate then?

Rewrite said:
Regarding Talbot,
his hilarious epic NOOOOO when Marlowe dies has me laughing nonstop. That shit is the weakest scene in the game...so forced and meaningless. Why does he care so much about Marlowe?! They never explain shit. Marlowe was a disappointment too. ND really needs to give us more info about the villains next time.

Oh yes, when it happened, I just went "Huh, why?". They never bother explaining the situation between those two so how can I understand why the character was so emotionally invested in that situation. To me that scene ended up looking lulzy because of it.

Top Bottom