• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Y2Kev said:
I really enjoyed Tank and Mouse on my first playthrough, but on my second I tried other things and broke the setpiece. I watched my friend play it on his first time and he got confused where to go.
I loved that sequence. That and the train sequence made UC2 sooooo good.

I was disappointed that UC3 had nothing like that Tank Cat & Mouse in it. However, all the water stuff starting with Abduction and until back in Yemen helped make up for it.

Cruzader

Banned
Rewrite said:
Regarding Talbot,
his hilarious epic NOOOOO when Marlowe dies has me laughing nonstop. That shit is the weakest scene in the game...so forced and meaningless. Why does he care so much about Marlowe?! They never explain shit. Marlowe was a disappointment too. ND really needs to give us more info about the villains next time.

They are part of a secret society/cult whatever you want to call it. He is Marlow's right hand man and most loyal follower. That much is pretty obvious. He is pissed he couldnt do anything and takes out his anger on Nate. (They wanted him and Sully dead from the beginning so that adds to his mood)

RDreamer

Rewrite said:
Regarding Talbot,
his hilarious epic NOOOOO when Marlowe dies has me laughing nonstop. That shit is the weakest scene in the game...so forced and meaningless. Why does he care so much about Marlowe?! They never explain shit. Marlowe was a disappointment too. ND really needs to give us more info about the villains next time.

What... Why does he care? Is this really a complaint? Is this real life?

This is seriously something that doesn't need to be explained and probably shouldn't be explained. You can tell the relationship by the reaction and that's good enough. There doesn't need to be more to it. It honestly upsets me sometimes how gamers want every single detail painfully spelled out for them like they have some sort of inability to pick up nuances or fill in the blanks like everyone is perfectly capable of doing with other forms of media.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Cruzader said:
They are part of a secret society/cult whatever you want to call it. He is Marlow's right hand man and most loyal follower. That much is pretty obvious. He is pissed he couldnt do anything and takes out his anger on Nate. (They wanted him and Sully dead from the beginning so that adds to his mood)
I know that. However, that still doesn't warrant the constant obsession he has throughout the game. It makes no sense. There's no explanation other than what you mentioned and that scene was really, really bad. I'm still pissed that they reused the UC2's villain generic grunts for Talbot in the game. At least Cutter/Lazarvic's voice actor added his own differences between the characters despite sounding kind of the same.

RDreamer said:
This is seriously something that doesn't need to be explained and probably shouldn't be explained.
Why shouldn't it be? That scene is really bad because of it.

jax (old)

Banned
thetechkid said:
So does anyone else think Talbot looks like evil Drake or is that just me?

looks more like flynn 2.0 to be honest. even the hair is sameish.

5831006958_3d7c6d4724.jpg

Flynn.jpg

there. I'm right.

RDreamer

Rewrite said:
I know that. However, that still doesn't warrant the constant obsession he has throughout the game. It makes no sense. There's no explanation other than what you mentioned and that scene was really, really bad. I'm still pissed that they reused the UC2's villain generic grunts for Talbot in the game. At least Cutter/Lazarvic's voice actor added his own differences between the characters despite sounding kind of the same.

No. No it isn't. The guy is upset because
she's high up in that secret society and he's her right hand man, and practically her partner. They work together for everything you see int he game. He's obviously very concerned for her safety and well being as evidenced by the scene in the beginning when Cutter shoots Drake, so that's established too. Here he couldn't do anything to stop her death. That's all you need. What more do you want? Please for the love of god tell me you don't want some sort of hokey "She saved his life and she's practically his adopted mother now" or god knows whatever else. There doesn't need to be more to it. He's upset about it. That's it. If you need something more as to why someone would be upset that their comrade, partner, boss, and fellow cult member has just died in front of their eyes, then you're really beyond me.

RDreamer

Jax said:
huh? is it that hard to get why talbot is
upset? He spends all his time with her and even if you don't see them together more; you know that you would have had a deep relationship.
really nothing more to it. Its a parallel to Nate/sully.

Right.

I mean there are numerous problems with Uc3 that I'll readily admit and even actively participate in dissecting, despite overall loving the game, but some of you are really nitpicking some strange things to the point of insanity.

Cruzader

Banned
Rewrite said:

Marlow has been looking for the ring for a really long time. Talbot joins in and becomes part of the secret society. He is probably hired to help find the ring. Based on the opening, he does do that. Drake was a step ahead of Marlow &co. all the time, we know what happens. You dont need to know more than that to know their motives in the game.

Actually I think the fact Drake makes Talbot look like an idiot to Marlow, probably makes him that much more motivated to follow Marlow closely.

Diebuster

Ugh, ran into my first glitcher on Chateau during a Team Objective match :(

Around half-way into the match (that's when I noticed at least), a guy on the other team went invisible and started slaughtering everyone. Bastard even made the treasure disappear when he grabbed it.

My team of randoms still tied the game, but it was an annoying match. I hope this crap doesn't grow common.

It's been a while but I think U3 has way more action packed and crazy over the top situations than U2. Seems like every other thing he grabs breaks in this one, which still makes my heart jump a little. I'm at chapter 16. Chapter 15 was goddamn! Good stuff and this pretty much goes without saying, but the graphics are some of the very best these consoles will ever have, if not THE best. I can't wait to see what ND will do with the PS4.

Rewrite said:

i don't know why it make no sense.this is not a man with ambitions , it's a manfollowing marlowe. from the scene in the library in the london underground it's clear that he doesn't see her as an obstacle or a threat but quite the opposite. Futhermore marlowe is clearly in a teaching position toward him .. It's kinda like Sully -drake actually.

You can see how drake snapped when the eclipse happenned ?.Well he snapped the same way.
There is nothing wrong with this scene in particular ..just (IMO) , in the pacing of the final act that came too close. ( and too fast ).

gdt

Laughing Banana said:
I don't get it.

Why did the entire city collapse only because Nathan shot one tower?
I mean WTF?

The whole thing was built into a sinkhole, and Drake collaped the central-ish building at the base.

Also forever years old.

Trevelyan

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
I don't get it.

I mean WTF?

The entire city was built on top of the cave system. When one tower fell it caused a chain reaction and everything else followed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Laughing Banana said:
I don't get it.

I mean WTF?
It was already pretty close to crumbling. The loss of that pillar and that explosion just took it down.

At the end of the day regardless if people think 3 is better or 2 is better, they both are kick ass games. Its like complaing about getting free money, no matter the ammount your winning. So as far as Uncharted 2/3 is, both rock solid, some just prefer one over the other and vice versa. No mater what you can't loose playing the Uncharted series! SOOOO GOOD!!!

Ricky_R

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Its like complaing about getting free money, no matter the ammount your winning.

Yeah, but getting $1 after getting a $100 kinda sucks. Not saying that's how Uncharted 3 compares to the second though.

Me feelings about Talbot and Marlowe.

Somewhere in the middle of the game, I just started thinking of Marlowe + Talbot as Anti-Sully and Anti-Drake. From a perspective of someone who does not know/like Sully/Drake, they are just a couple of thieves who are out to get rich by lying, stealing and plundering anything they can. Marlowe and Talbot are doing the same thing, but we are just looking at them from the other side. Talbot's reaction when Marlowe dies was the same as when Drake thought Sully died. Sully and Drake wanted wealth and Marlowe and Talbot wanted power. Drake is no professor of history trying to find stuff for his museum. He is not that much different from Talbot.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just got through the
horseback truck assault sequence
on crushing. What a piece of garbage.

I'm enjoying most of the other firefights more than I did the first time I played, though.

There is a lot of similarities to The Mummy. I don't know how people feel about that movie but I always found it to be really entertaining and easy to rewatch. When I saw the initial concept art for U3 I thought of The Mummy and playing it it felt like the devs liked the movie too.

Also its fun rereading the initial U3 thread.

gdt5016 said:
Did no one dig my chase/chapter through an active, modern day city idea? Paris? NY? Venice?

I would love that.

Semi close, I enjoyed that part :p. Putting myself back in that time frame from what we knew I would say U3 lived up to my expectations but my 2010 self would have been disappointed with no Pyramid stuff! That was a wasted opportunity.

benny lava

Neo Member
Getting ready to start chapter 20 and loving the game so far. I think it is every bit as good as UC2. If UC3 had come before UC2, UC2 would be getting many of the same criticisms (set pieces not as impressive, etc.) as this one is. Other than the aiming thing, that is. Although I think not being a shooter guy makes any aiming issues far less noticeable to me than they are to skilled FPS vets.

Uncharted games are like Indiana Jones movies in more ways than one - there are no bad ones (sorry, Crystal Skull doesn't count!).

Basch

Kagari said:
Nicely said.
I had the same feeling after finishing 3.

Same, but it didn't take me two playthroughs. I loved them all equally as they each had something to offer that the others did not. And that my friends is the sign of a true classic. When you can just run through a game and fall in love with it for entirely different reasons than the one before, it's a great feeling.

Oh, I suppose a little context helps. I marathoned the whole trilogy in a week (includes my first playthrough of UC3). I completed UC1 on hard, found all the treasures, came close to platinum. Same for UC2. With UC3, found half the treasures, but played on normal as I heard it was the hardest of the three.

Sporran

Decided to have a sneaky half hour before work and just managed my Crushing Trophy.

Have to say these games do something no other game has of late, makes you fall in love with all of it. Music, graphcis, the film like qualities and fluid and rolled in to one.

For those attempting Crushing, after playing normal was thinking omg you know the parts that will be tough. Though for me Chapter 14 & 15 probably gave me the most grief.

If you played you know about Chapter 21
the helghasts
but have to say did it all on first go, the
tau sniper and grenade launcher
are your friends. Without them no way i could do it.

Found 89 treasures too so will eek it out a little more, and try a little easy lol.

Chuffed to bits and now i must work :)

JJcao

Neo Member
Loudninja said:
They are testing the patch now

https://twitter.com/#!/ericmonacelli/status/136283290297569280

Thank god, the wait is killing me. BTW was there any mention about motion blur being added?

Hixx

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just got through the

I'm enjoying most of the other firefights more than I did the first time I played, though.

That part was my favourite on normal. On crushing it was horrendous, though :(

RDreamer

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just got through the

That sequence is one of my favorites through the entire series. I thought it was a ton of fun, even in crushing.

Metal B

RDreamer said:
No. No it isn't. The guy is upset because
she's high up in that secret society and he's her right hand man, and practically her partner. They work together for everything you see int he game. He's obviously very concerned for her safety and well being as evidenced by the scene in the beginning when Cutter shoots Drake, so that's established too. Here he couldn't do anything to stop her death. That's all you need. What more do you want? Please for the love of god tell me you don't want some sort of hokey "She saved his life and she's practically his adopted mother now" or god knows whatever else. There doesn't need to be more to it. He's upset about it. That's it. If you need something more as to why someone would be upset that their comrade, partner, boss, and fellow cult member has just died in front of their eyes, then you're really beyond me.

Thru the whole game both never shown any emotions or lately unimportant emotions. The point of this villain was there cold behavior and seeing this treasure hunt as business . It also makes them really boring. They not even kill someone in the hole game (even if they try)! They were given only two real emotional moment. First as Cutter "shots" Scully and Marlowe seen a little shocked. Second Talbots "NOOOO"-Scene. The last one comes out of nowhere and thats what makes it unintentional funny and generates the problem. It just looks out of place and like a last attempt to give the characters some deep in the end. But its to late and makes no  sense . If there is an connection, the developers should have shown (not tell) us more sooner. But i like i already said, both never shown emotions and Talbots talks about Marlowe as his client. There is just no deeper connection to note between them.

For shadowing is important or people will not get, miss or laugh about such parts.

Ricky_R

Metal B said:
They not even kill someone in the hole game (even if they try)!

I think that was because they believed that fate would take care of it.
They apparently relied on Tarot a lot and the seemed like they always tried not to kill enemies in the traditional way.

Also... Even though their relationship wasn't as emotional to the naked eye, some parts of the game suggest that they had a lot of respect and hidden care for each other. I imagine Amy opted to omit their back stories or ties, so they could concentrate more on Sully and Drake and for good reason.

pixelbox

BruiserBear said:
Ok, so why the hell can't they just tell us what the patch does while we wait?
I learned from KZ3 that if they spill the beans too quickly and promise things, there's a possibility things could go wrong and the uproar...

Metal B said:
Thru the whole game both never shown any emotions or lately unimportant emotions. The point of this villain was there cold behavior and seeing this treasure hunt as business . It also makes them really boring. They not even kill someone in the hole game (even if they try)! They were given only two real emotional moment. First as Cutter "shots" Scully and Marlowe seen a little shocked. Second Talbots "NOOOO"-Scene. The last one comes out of nowhere and thats what makes it unintentional funny and generates the problem. It just looks out of place and like a last attempt to give the characters some deep in the end. But its to late and makes no  sense . If there is an connection, the developers should have shown (not tell) us more sooner. But i like i already said, both never shown emotions and Talbots talks about Marlowe as his client. There is just no deeper connection to note between them.

For shadowing is important or people will not get, miss or laugh about such parts.

I'd completely disagree with that. You see emotional sides to them both in many parts of the game.
Marlowe in the flashback when she loses her rag and slaps Drake, calling him a little shit, the flicker of fury when she says she "merely wants what's mine". Talbot frequently talks about getting her out of places and is shown to be very protective of her.
I think Tablot's NOOOOOO is meant to be somewhat pathetic because, as I've mentioned previously, a lot of the game is to do with appearances, masks and self-image and the breaking down of his austere front also parallels
Drake when Sully dies
. Really he and Drake are clear mirrors of each other, even more so than Drake and Flynn I think.

Metal B said:
Thru the whole game both never shown any emotions or lately unimportant emotions. The point of this villain was there cold behavior and seeing this treasure hunt as business .
It's not business it's an ancient organization dating from queen victoria ages .. They don't want business they want control and they want the secret of the "imar of teh pillars"
It also makes them really boring.
Control .. it's a opposite of lazarevic who kill to achieve an objective . They want control. Killing isn't what they want ( not directly ).That's also why they were upset to believe drake and sully were dead. that ISn't their objective. That's also why when drake got captured ( end of chapter 11 ) they didn't kill him.
Control and manipulation ...the intelligent way of being evil..totally different from lazarevic for example.
They not even kill someone in the hole game (even if they try)! They were given only two real emotional moment. First as Cutter "shots" Scully and Marlowe seen a little shocked. Second Talbots "NOOOO"-Scene. The last one comes out of nowhere and thats what makes it unintentional funny and generates the problem. It just looks out of place and like a last attempt to give the characters some deep in the end. But its to late and makes no  sense .
It's exact opposite of what happenned with sully the chapter before , except that it's real this time . See how drake snapped ? Same thing
If there is an connection, the developers should have shown (not tell) us more sooner. But i like i already said, both never shown emotions and Talbots talks about Marlowe as his client. There is just no deeper connection to note between them.

The clues were there .. you missed them that's all. Not ND fault , not mine , but yours.

Loach

Neo Member
There seem to be plenty of sections where the game encourages you to
use stealth (Drake will say something like "we'll have to do this quietly"). From memory the airport, the ship yard, the castle in Syria and the dust storm all encouraged this. Did anyone manage to complete any areas using stealth (killing everyone in that section)?

Also wanted to add, this game is amazing. I went on media blackout (even skipped the multiplayer beta) and it was worth it. For me it definitely topped number 2.

Loudninja said:
They are testing the patch now

https://twitter.com/#!/ericmonacelli/status/136283290297569280
:D

Though, Sony's QA testing takes a while. The wait for patches for Resistance 3 wasn't short due to the QA testing. Still, great news.

Loach said:
There seem to be plenty of sections where the game encourages you to
use stealth (Drake will say something like "we'll have to do this quietly"). From memory the airport, the ship yard, the castle in Syria and the dust storm all encouraged this. Did anyone manage to complete any areas using stealth (killing everyone in that section)?
I did a citadel section with cutter using all stealth. But some are real hard. I guess the cruise ship can be done stealth inside but you need to get moving immediately.

The shipyard seems pretty hard . . . a lot of guys are paired together so you can't stealth them.

jett

D-Member
Top Bottom